ADVERTISEMENT

On his way out, Kevin Warren costs the B1G at least $65 million

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
So glad he's gone and that he's the Chicago Bears' problem now.

I thought the TV deals were all done.

However,

Nearly three months before the season kicks off and those TV deals begin, the Big Ten does not have completed longform contracts, which include the fine print details.

Recently, schools have found out:

• They are going to have to pay back nearly $40 million to Fox because, according to sources, Warren delivered NBC the Big Ten football title game in 2026 without the full authority to do so. This all has unfolded under the complicated backdrop of the Big Ten conference not actually controlling the rights to the inventory of this latest deal -- the Big Ten Network does, which is majority owned by Fox. (More on that below.)

• They are going to have to pay $25 million total for a deal to pay Fox back for lost 2020 football game inventory. This came after an arrangement between Fox and the conference that was unable to muster the lost revenue from the COVID-19 season.

• There's tens of millions of dollars of value of the NBC primetime deal in flux, as Petitti has been racing to ensure it keeps as much of its original value as possible. Historically in the Big Ten, after the first weekend in November, schools were not required to play night games for myriad reasons -- health, recovery and campus logistics among them. These were known in league circles as "tolerances," and prior television contracts accounted for them.

Athletic departments and coaches around the Big Ten say they were surprised November night games would be part of the deal. They weren't asked for permission to play them prior to the deal or informed of the change ahead of the deal, according to sources. At the same time, NBC wasn't aware until well after the initial contract was signed this summer that these big-brand schools had historic tolerances that were part of the prior television arrangements and would resist being available.

Multiple sources told ESPN there's been pushback from a number of schools, including Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, to play those late-November night games under the new contract. That leaves Petitti to figure out how to uphold a deal for hundreds of millions of dollars for primetime games without cooperation from some of the league's marquee teams for part of the regular season's most important month.

"These deals aren't done, and they aren't what they were represented to be from the standpoint of the NBC deal and the availability of all members to participate in November games in primetime," said an industry source.

"NBC was surprised, and I was surprised," said Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel. "We had not discussed, and I had not discussed with anyone in the league to change the tolerances we had agreed upon years ago."

Within the industry, though, there was an expectation that, considering the scope of the deal, all schools would play in prime time.

"The fault here is with the administrators on campus," said another industry source. "How did the presidents, chancellors and athletic directors not know this? The universities all signed off on the deal."

While this is being worked through, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State recently agreed to concessions to make short-term sacrifices to help the league make up for some lost revenue from the NBC deal.

Penn State will play on the road in a short week on Black Friday against Michigan State, a game that was scheduled before Penn State agreed to it. Ohio State will host Michigan State on Nov. 11, the latest-ever home night game in Ohio State history, which is viewed as another concession to help the league through this moment.

"This is what he's walking into right now," another industry source said of Petitti. "Tony is trying to save it, and what Penn State and Ohio State are doing is actually trying to minimize the losses."

The end result is that there's a trail of unhappy athletic directors seeing money disappearing from their bottom line and frustrated television executives and big-name coaches irked about the lack of transparency in details that weren't communicated to them.

The Full Story:

Last edited:
So glad he's gone and that he's the Chicago Bears' problem now.

I thought the TV deals were all done.

However,

Nearly three months before the season kicks off and those TV deals begin, the Big Ten does not have completed longform contracts, which include the fine print details.

Recently, schools have found out:

• They are going to have to pay back nearly $40 million to Fox because, according to sources, Warren delivered NBC the Big Ten football title game in 2026 without the full authority to do so. This all has unfolded under the complicated backdrop of the Big Ten conference not actually controlling the rights to the inventory of this latest deal -- the Big Ten Network does, which is majority owned by Fox. (More on that below.)

• They are going to have to pay $25 million total for a deal to pay Fox back for lost 2020 football game inventory. This came after an arrangement between Fox and the conference that was unable to muster the lost revenue from the COVID-19 season.

• There's tens of millions of dollars of value of the NBC primetime deal in flux, as Petitti has been racing to ensure it keeps as much of its original value as possible. Historically in the Big Ten, after the first weekend in November, schools were not required to play night games for myriad reasons -- health, recovery and campus logistics among them. These were known in league circles as "tolerances," and prior television contracts accounted for them.

Athletic departments and coaches around the Big Ten say they were surprised November night games would be part of the deal. They weren't asked for permission to play them prior to the deal or informed of the change ahead of the deal, according to sources. At the same time, NBC wasn't aware until well after the initial contract was signed this summer that these big-brand schools had historic tolerances that were part of the prior television arrangements and would resist being available.

Multiple sources told ESPN there's been pushback from a number of schools, including Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State, to play those late-November night games under the new contract. That leaves Petitti to figure out how to uphold a deal for hundreds of millions of dollars for primetime games without cooperation from some of the league's marquee teams for part of the regular season's most important month.

"These deals aren't done, and they aren't what they were represented to be from the standpoint of the NBC deal and the availability of all members to participate in November games in primetime," said an industry source.

"NBC was surprised, and I was surprised," said Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel. "We had not discussed, and I had not discussed with anyone in the league to change the tolerances we had agreed upon years ago."

Within the industry, though, there was an expectation that, considering the scope of the deal, all schools would play in prime time.

"The fault here is with the administrators on campus," said another industry source. "How did the presidents, chancellors and athletic directors not know this? The universities all signed off on the deal."

While this is being worked through, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State recently agreed to concessions to make short-term sacrifices to help the league make up for some lost revenue from the NBC deal.

Penn State will play on the road in a short week on Black Friday against Michigan State, a game that was scheduled before Penn State agreed to it. Ohio State will host Michigan State on Nov. 11, the latest-ever home night game in Ohio State history, which is viewed as another concession to help the league through this moment.

"This is what he's walking into right now," another industry source said of Petitti. "Tony is trying to save it, and what Penn State and Ohio State are doing is actually trying to minimize the losses."

The end result is that there's a trail of unhappy athletic directors seeing money disappearing from their bottom line and frustrated television executives and big-name coaches irked about the lack of transparency in details that weren't communicated to them.

The Full Story:

It kind of makes you wonder if he ran for the hills before getting booted to the curb by the B10.

It kind of makes you wonder if he ran for the hills before getting booted to the curb by the B10.
This was my first thought as well.
Past boss Delaney was an very good at navigating the waters of change. Looks like Kevin Warren tried leading solo without garnering support first and it was costing him. Bolted before the leading influencers could kick him to the curb.

Reactions: GHawk and F5n5
This should not come as a surprise. The clown showed his true "leadership" style when he canceled the 2020 games.
I think the genius/smarter than everyone else ProVosts and Presidents on campus were leading the call to cancel the season.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Warren was also part of this group to shut down the season too but got hit with in person pressure from the parents of players and the growing pressure to play after the B12 and SEC decided they were going to play. With all this said, glad to see him go and not shocked he screwed up the tv negotiations.

Reactions: rfgiowa
I think the genius/smarter than everyone else ProVosts and Presidents on campus were leading the call to cancel the season.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Warren was also part of this group to shut down the season too but got hit with in person pressure from the parents of players and the growing pressure to play after the B12 and SEC decided they were going to play. With all this said, glad to see him go and not shocked he screwed up the tv negotiations.

Don't forget ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT. Warren was representing 28 people (14 athletic directors and 14 head football coaches) in the discussions with the 14 University heads.

NOT ONE of the 28 wanted to cancel the season.

Warren was the voice for these 28 people and his voice was weak and idiotic.

Reactions: pmtdc
Don't forget ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT. Warren was representing 28 people (14 athletic directors and 14 head football coaches) in the discussions with the 14 University heads.

NOT ONE of the 28 wanted to cancel the season.

Warren was the voice for these 28 people and his voice was weak and idiotic.
I'm thrilled woke Warren is gone.

Warren must have been operating under the It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission standard. I wonder what "deal" they were presented to "sign off on"? It's hard to imagine all 14 schools missed some of these rather notable points. The so-called "industry source" likely doesn't know all the facts (or he works for FoxSports, or both).

The other related reason the BT doesn't like playing in the evening in the fall is that it can be freakin' cold in November at night, which is not only not good for the players, but for the fans.

I'm thrilled woke Warren is gone.
Thanks for sharing liv4god. Jesus was one of the wokest humans to ever walk the earth, the original wokester you could say

Why do you hate Jesus so much with his hyperwoke "as you do unto the least of these you do unto me" schtick? Disrespecting his "son" seems like a very weird way to liv4god. Figured you'd be a lot more forgiving by your screen name

• Haha
Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
Thanks for sharing liv4god. Jesus was one of the wokest humans to ever walk the earth, the original wokester you could say

Why do you hate Jesus so much with his hyperwoke "as you do unto the least of these you do unto me" schtick? Disrespecting his "son" seems like a very weird way to liv4god. Figured you'd be a lot more forgiving by your screen name
you realize your comment is hypocritical... no?

Holy unnecessary inferences, Batman.

Reactions: Bloody Run Hawk
I still have no idea what you are talking about
Yea makes sense. Call someone a hypocrite and then play dumb when I ask you to explain how they're being hypocritical. Either playing dumb or just actually dumb, not sure which.

Yea makes sense. Call someone a hypocrite and then play dumb when I ask you to explain how they're being hypocritical. Either playing dumb or just actually dumb, not sure which.
yea... try learning what that word means.. then perhaps you might understand

yea... try learning what that word means.. then perhaps you might understand
You keep posting and yet you still can't comprehend or explain your hypocrisy comment. You should be a politician! I was really just seeing if you were full of shit and I have my answer now so carry on.

Finkel is Einhorn? Warren is Jesus? Finkel is Warren?

God also set forth plagues and floods so he isn't exactly tolerant of bs either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT