ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Football is BACK! 9 (8+1) Games in 9 Week Window w/ Oct 23/24 Start Date, which is Crucial w/ Dec 19 B1G Title Game & CFP Teams Revealed Dec 20

I thought we had to start up by the 10th to be playoff eligible.

Starting the 17th provides time for a 10 game schedule. No BIG champ game, unless no big teams in contention for playoffs. Still fluid at this point but sounds very positive. Harbaugh was a dick in this process , no surprise.

That was what was originally reported. Today they are throwing out Oct 17

Lets face it. With this pandemic, things change daily.....including re-start dates.

Buckle your seat belts because the ride will most certainly continue to be bumpy.

I agree. Not sure how the NCAA could keep the Big10 out over one week, but then again they rarely make sensible decisions.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Starting the 17th provides time for a 10 game schedule. No BIG champ game, unless no big teams in contention for playoffs. Still fluid at this point but sounds very positive. Harbaugh was a dick in this process , no surprise.
Oct 17 start date, an 8 game schedule, 1 bye week, and a Dec 19 B1G Title Game?

It's a shame the B1G f&cked this up so badly.

Aug 5: 10 game schedule announced
Aug 11: Fall football canceled, even though nothing changed

33 days later (Aug 11-Sep 13), it looks like the season will start 34 days from now.

Wow.

And parents are concerned about injuries. Check this out:

Last edited:
I am worried that there won't be any bye weeks for God knows what might happen moving forward

yeah this is really the worst scenario. We all know there are going to be games postponed because of covid-if they were going to try to play, then they should’ve started last week and built in the byes- it’s going to be tough to finish the season with the scenario presented.

yeah this is really the worst scenario. We all know there are going to be games postponed because of covid-if they were going to try to play, then they should’ve started last week and built in the byes- it’s going to be tough to finish the season with the scenario presented.
that Aug 5 schedule had 2 bye weeks built in

Eeq0pE2WAAAaCxz

I wish they would allow the schools who want to play do so. If there are a couple of teams don't want to play fine, let them sit out the season. We should have the chance to try and see how it goes.
AGREED! Vote “YES” and if you want to then opt out don’t make the schools wanting to play suffer for your selfishness.

• Love
Reactions: NevadaHawk
As several of us posted on this board, the B1G could have kicked the can down the road to Sept 26 rather than postpone. That would have given them more time to observe before pulling the plug, if deciding that was best, or to go ahead and play. That would have allowed for more games and/or more flexibility in the schedule.

The devil is in the details, though. Iowa had a good prevention and testing program going before classes started, and we'll find out how well it works with students on campus and the social aspect of college life in gear. Michigan State is entirely on-line for classes, so that would help significantly after they had issues during the summer (assuming they play). It will require discipline to maintain a bubble, and I hope everyone affiliated with a team has it.

Last edited:
AGREED! Vote “YES” and if you want to then opt out don’t make the schools wanting to play suffer for your selfishness.
How is it selfish if the person thinks playing football this season is untenable? You might think a university president holding that view is wrong, but if it is based on what s/he thinks is best for the student-athletes, the university, and beyond, it would be just the opposite of selfish to vote no.

How is it selfish if the person thinks playing football this season is untenable? You might think a university president holding that view is wrong, but if it is based on what s/he thinks is best for the student-athletes, the university, and beyond, it would be just the opposite of selfish to vote no.
Not if that same President allows students on campus to attend classes.

This is a political game of chicken and nothing else! Academia is a progressive bubble of thought. Don't tell me its not political. 18-22 year olds don't have a significant risk from covid. If it isn't political and they can't follow data they are incompetent and should be removed.

This is a virus with a median age of death one year older than all cause deaths. The casualties are almost 50% of nursing homes. What is the median life expectancy of a person entering a nursing home? 5 months.

This virus is taking people that didn't have long and to try and make policy for everyone at large is foolish! I don't think they are that ignorant, I think they are biased.

This is a political game of chicken and nothing else! Academia is a progressive bubble of thought. Don't tell me its not political. 18-22 year olds don't have a significant risk from covid. If it isn't political and they can't follow data they are incompetent and should be removed.

This is a virus with a median age of death one year older than all cause deaths. The casualties are almost 50% of nursing homes. What is the median life expectancy of a person entering a nursing home? 5 months.

This virus is taking people that didn't have long and to try and make policy for everyone at large is foolish! I don't think they are that ignorant, I think they are biased.

So if someone has 5 or 10 years left ok for them to die? You sure they only have a short time to live? Is this god?

that Aug 5 schedule had 2 bye weeks built in

Eeq0pE2WAAAaCxz

yeah the August 5 schedule gave a much higher likelihood of actually finishing the season in a meaningful way

🤷🏻‍♂️ oh well- even if iowa only ends up playing five games this fall, I’ll still root for them.

its been a blast rooting for the cubs in their shortened season and watching the bears was fun today

yeah the August 5 schedule gave a much higher likelihood of actually finishing the season in a meaningful way

🤷🏻‍♂️ oh well- even if iowa only ends up playing five games this fall, I’ll still root for them.

its been a blast rooting for the cubs in their shortened season and watching the bears was fun today

The athletic department will welcome any TV revenue it can get.

A couple of the biggest questions I have for Kevin Warren are:

* What was the rush to cancel on Aug 11?

* Why did you say the decision would not be re-visited when things change daily with this virus YET you clearly are re-visiting the VERY BAD Aug 11 decision?

So if someone has 5 or 10 years left ok for them to die? You sure they only have a short time to live? Is this god?

Not what he was saying at all. All life is to be protected. But we don't make policy on the "if it saves one life" statement. If that were the case, we would ban driving.

What we should be doing at all costs is focusing the protection and extra measures on those who are the most risk -- the elderly and those with compromised immune systems. And really encouraging people to adopt more healthy lifestyles, as overwhelming majority of those who COVID hits not in the elderly category are obese.

A couple of the biggest questions I have for Kevin Warren are:

* What was the rush to cancel on Aug 11?

* Why did you say the decision would not be re-visited when things change daily with this virus YET you clearly are re-visiting the VERY BAD Aug 11 decision?

It clearly is amazing. Had they just kept the Sept. 26 start date (or the original start date) they would be in good shape for getting a season in as they would have time for byes and reschedules. Now they've put it in the area where there basically is no margin for error for getting a season in. We will likely never get the real answer on why they cancelled.

It clearly is amazing. Had they just kept the Sept. 26 start date (or the original start date) they would be in good shape for getting a season in as they would have time for byes and reschedules. Now they've put it in the area where there basically is no margin for error for getting a season in. We will likely never get the real answer on why they cancelled.
i heard a discussion on ESPN radio where, hypothetically, they were discussing if the B1G plays 8 or 9 games and everyone else plays 10, what does the CFP Committee do with that?

An 8-0 Ohio State vs a 9-1 SEC team. Who do you pick?

Correct! Penn State as the same issues as Michigan. Sandy Barbour ( AD) and Franklin are puppets of their Lib pres. They didn’t know the position of the PSU pres or if they took a vote ( a couple weeks ago). Glad WE don’t have that problem at Iowa. Any AD, coach that doesn’t know the position of their owns pres, needs to be fired! Poor communication at best. It’s a no brained, the pres is terminated. No way, is business ran this way. Michigan and many of the presidents have very specific agendas and are controlled by their faculty senates, similar to Iowa. Most of those are dumpster fires, in reality!

Reactions: Simbahawk4

I didn't say anything about politics, but only that a no vote was not necessarily a selfish decision. There likely was politics behind at least some of the votes (regardless of whether yes or no) last time and would be if they vote again in the near future.

Regarding the remainder of your message, you make some faulty assumptions but it probably wouldn't be productive to try to engage you. So I won't.

Not if that same President allows students on campus to attend classes.
It could be. The two decisions may be inconsistent, based on different motivations. Having students on campus is obviously in a university's financial interests - more so than playing football. (Of course it also makes for a better academic and social experience in normal circumstances.) Likely such decisions were also based on some faulty assumptions about student behavior. Additionally, they may believe that football is optional, while academics is the primary mission of the university and so are willing to take more chances with the essential activities.

It's a much easier case to impugn the motives of having students on campus than of deciding against football. Props to the MSU president for his consistency. Classes on on-line.

(Of course, with classes on-line it would be much easier to have a bubble for the athletes and diminish the argument for opposing football.)

Correct! Penn State as the same issues as Michigan. Sandy Barbour ( AD) and Franklin are puppets of their Lib pres. They didn’t know the position of the PSU pres or if they took a vote ( a couple weeks ago). Glad WE don’t have that problem at Iowa. Any AD, coach that doesn’t know the position of their owns pres, needs to be fired! Poor communication at best. It’s a no brained, the pres is terminated. No way, is business ran this way. Michigan and many of the presidents have very specific agendas and are controlled by their faculty senates, similar to Iowa. Most of those are dumpster fires, in reality!
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but if you think university presidents are controlled by their faculty senates, then you know nothing about universities. If they're controlled by anyone, it would be their boards of regents.

I agree. Not sure how the NCAA could keep the Big10 out over one week, but then again they rarely make sensible decisions.
I belived Barta is chair of the playoff committee. Someone give me a check on that. That should help the B1G out. ( on the one week issue).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT