ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West Favorite? Minny has Easiest Sched? Nov 9 Key games: IOWA @Wisconsin; Penn State @ Minnesota

James Franklin thinks the West is weak!

Check it out:

Lots of twitter replies there agreeing with Franklin. I guess most fans think college football is completely, and only, about the blue-bloods. ESPN is the same way.

But they can think what they want. I think the Big Ten West race is damn interesting this year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Lots of twitter replies there agreeing with Franklin. I guess most fans think college football is completely, and only, about the blue-bloods. ESPN is the same way.

But they can think what they want. I think the Big Ten West race is damn interesting this year.

P.S.: I never saw there what Franklin actually said? Only saw a bunch of college football pseudo-fans agreeing with him.

Yeah, no matter what, you are going to make someone unhappy.

I still like the old Legends and Leaders because we played Michigan every year and it seemed more fair and balanced.

If I could be commissioner for a day I might propose making the divisions this (which are the old Legends & Leaders, where you move Illinois out, & add Maryland and Rutgers w/ Penn St).

This way, too, you continue to keep a lot of natural rivalries within the 2 divisions.

Michigan
Iowa
Nebraska
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Illinois

Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers

Reactions: sirjp07
I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, but this writer says there are 3 candidates from the West who could win the Heisman.

That, of course, means that a B1G West team has a pretty incredible season.

Iowa is one of the West favorites. Hmmmm.....

Any way, you can see one of her candidates in this pic.

Who would the other 2 be? The Debbie QB? And? Rondale Moore? Or???

Last edited:
Leistikow: What is the ceiling for this talented Iowa football team? A Big Ten title
Chad Leistikow, Hawk Central
Published July 19, 2019, 6:23 p.m. CT
Updated 10:58 a.m. CT July 20, 2019

CHICAGO — There was a reason Kirk Ferentz, at this week’s Big Ten Conference football media days, unearthed from his steel-trap mind a simple bootleg pass to tight end T.J. Hockenson that occurred in the fourth quarter of Iowa’s Outback Bowl victory against Mississippi State.

“Catching a ball for a 1-yard completion and running 18 yards or whatever he ran; broke about four tackles,” Ferentz said of what was actually a self-made 20-yard gain as Iowa desperately tried to move the ball for insurance points in a two-point game. “Those little plays there, just somebody doing something special … that’s what it takes to be successful.”

There’s been a good amount of talk this week in the Hilton Chicago about what it’ll take to win the increasingly competitive Big Ten West.

But, for Iowa, maybe a better question is: What about winning the whole darn Big Ten?

After all, that is the program’s No. 1 stated goal: winning a Big Ten championship.

A 12-0 regular season and division title in 2015 was (very) nice. But being the league’s top dog hasn’t happened for Ferentz and the Hawkeyes since 2004.

What are the odds of ending the drought, 15 years later?

Las Vegas would tell you they're about 20 to 1.

But making the long shot a realistic one takes us back to Ferentz's Hockenson answer.

Making clutch plays in close games was Ferentz’s over-arching explanation of what is currently separating Iowa from the upper echelon in the Big Ten.

After all, his Hawkeyes have recently proven to be successful and competitive against the Big Ten’s best.

They led Michigan State until the final minute of the 2015 Big Ten title game. They beat Michigan in 2016. They pushed Penn State to the last play in 2017, then famously shellacked Ohio State six weeks later.

And in 2018, Iowa was good. Very good. But it couldn't finish games consistently.

Instead of Nick Niemann falling behind in coverage against Wisconsin in the final minute, he needs to break up the pass.

Instead of Nate Stanley throwing an interception on first-and-goal at Penn State, he needs to tuck the ball away.

“You’re always going to have some adversity during a game,” Stanley said. “Just being able to minimize that adversity, I think, is the biggest part to making that next jump.”

MORE FROM MEDIA DAYS

Iowa did make clutch plays in its final two games of 2018, which led to a pretty satisfying 9-4 record and the program's second top-25 finish in nine years.

Against Nebraska, Hockenson (there’s that name again) caught a 10-yard bullet from Stanley on fourth-and-8 to set up Miguel Recinos’ walk-off field goal.

Against Mississippi State, there were countless moments where players — Stanley, Nick Easley, A.J. Epenesa, Chauncey Golston, Jake Gervase, Hockenson — made the big play instead of missing it.

Back to the Hockenson 20-yard catch and run. That set up an Iowa field goal, which meant Mississippi State needed a touchdown to win it. The Hawkeyes’ defense held up, and the players rejoiced.

“I just brought that illustration up because it wasn’t a marquee play, necessarily,” Ferentz said, “but it was huge in terms of momentum and keeping our defense off the field. Changing field position, all those kinds of things.”

Winning a Big Ten title is tougher now than it was in 2002 and 2004 — the last two times Iowa could call itself a league champion. Back then, there were 11 teams and shared titles counted, too.

Now, there’s one game to decide one champion in Indianapolis in early December.

I asked Stanley, the senior quarterback and likely three-time captain, if he thought Iowa could bring home a championship this year.

The reserved signal-caller didn’t hesitate.

“Definitely,” he said. “I do.”

He continued with an answer that should rev up Hawkeye fans for the Aug. 31 opener.

“Just the work that we’ve put in. The type of guys we have on this team,” Stanley said. “We have plenty of talent on this team to compete against anyone else in the Big Ten. What’s going to separate us is the competitive spirit and attitude we’re going to bring every single day.

“I’m really confident in how our workouts have gone so far this summer, that we’re all on the right track. That we’re all on the same page with our goals and what we want to do.”

Speaking of same pages, this year’s team book is called “The Culture Code,” by Daniel Coyle. It sounds like it’s been a unifying project, much like “The Slight Edge” was for Iowa’s unlikely 2015 run.

"You can win with talent, or you can win with teamwork,” Ferentz explained. “If you’ve got talent and teamwork, that’s a pretty good combination. … You need those two things if you’re going to do something significant.”

Something significant? How about that first Big Ten title since 2004?

There are some parallels. That Iowa team was coming off an Outback Bowl win and had lost significant talent to the NFL (such as Robert Gallery and Bob Sanders).

The 2019 Hawkeyes aren't going to win any games in July. But they could lose them if they don't stay the course.

“Coach Ferentz talks about operating at a championship level," running back Toren Young said. "We can’t overlook anything. Our strength and conditioning. Our film work. The way we eat. The way we sleep. I feel like we’re taking steps in the right direction.”

Iowa has strong pieces. This isn't a rebuilding team like next year's could be.

Sure, Michigan and Ohio State are supposed to be good in the East, but neither is unbeatable. The Hawkeyes have recently proven that.

It's OK to think big in July. A lot of teams here are optimistic. Iowa, at least, knows the formula.

"For us, historically, we have to be able to win close games. And then I think bigger and more importantly, the bigger picture, we have to really be improvement-driven," Ferentz said. "... If our players understand that and we do a good job as coaches, we understand that, then at least we give ourselves a chance to maybe be competitive when it all counts."

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...-kirk-ferentz-ohio-state-michigan/1772786001/

Big Ten football bold predictions

Graham Couch, Lansing State Journal
I'll give you two: No.1, I really like Iowa in the West. This feels like an Iowa-type year. The Hawkeyes have more weapons than folks realize. No. 2, if Michigan State’s offense is merely above average, the Spartans are as likely a champion as anyone in the East. That’s a sizable “if”. MSU gets Michigan and Ohio State on the road, but has been better away from home against both since the current division alignment began.

Chad Leistikow, Des Moines Register
There’s been a lot of division-realignment talk this week, but I think that all settles down after a big year from the Big Ten West. Nebraska is the on the rise. Iowa and Northwestern, my predicted top two, are going to be very good. Wisconsin is hardly falling apart. And Minnesota and Purdue are coming fast with bright young coaches. The West is going to outplay the East this season, as Penn State takes a big step back under James Franklin. Whoever makes the Big Ten title game (I’ve got Iowa) will give the West its best chance to win in Indy since the league expanded to 14 teams in 2014.

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...wa-hawkeyes-ryan-day-justin-field/1799410001/

Last edited:
Leistikow: How Iowa can solve its horrible recent history against Big Ten West's elite
Chad Leistikow,
Hawk Central
Published 9:15 a.m. CT July 23, 2019

If the Iowa Hawkeyes are going to have a special 2019 football season, they’ll need to find a new way against old rivals.

For all the (justified) optimism surrounding this team, here’s a statistic that packs a splash of cold reality.

Over the past three seasons, in which Iowa’s overall record is a respectable 25-14, Kirk Ferentz is 0-11 against the current coaches at Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin.

That’s almost hard to believe, considering that Ferentz is 11-0 over three years against Iowa State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan and Ohio State.

For the purposes of the tough conversation we’re about to have, let’s narrow the focus to Iowa’s three Big Ten West Division rivals (Northwestern, Purdue and Wisconsin) that have caused the most recent trouble

If Iowa can’t reverse this stained recent history, it won’t meet its goal of returning to Indianapolis for the first time since 2015.

At the recently completed Big Ten Media Days in Chicago, I interviewed the three West coaches in question: Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald (3-0 against Iowa since 2016, including two wins in Kinnick Stadium as a touchdown-plus underdog), Purdue’s Jeff Brohm (2-0 against Iowa since entering the Big Ten) and Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst (3-0, as you probably know).

This isn't a fun subject. But let's tackle this together.

Northwestern

Recent wins vs. Iowa: 38-31 (Iowa City, 2016); 17-10 in overtime (Evanston, 2017); 14-10 (Iowa City, 2018).

In a nutshell: Iowa couldn’t overcome six sacks and Austin Carr in 2016, then dropped the ball (literally) in overtime in 2017. Last year’s loss became the flashpoint of the Noah Fant snap-count conversation and fan-base frustration.

Fitzgerald says: “When you play the Hawkeyes, you’re going to have to earn it. We’ve been fortunate to have earned it a couple of times.

“I joke that stats are for losers, but trust me, I look at it. Typically, it comes down to turnovers. I think back to last year’s game, a one-score game, and we had the two big turnovers late in the game.”

The one thing Iowa needs to fix: rush defense.

For whatever reason, Iowa’s normally stingy run defense has sprung a leak against the Wildcats.

Check out Northwestern’s remarkably consistent numbers from the last three Iowa box scores: 42 rushes, 198 yards in 2016; 46 rushes, 147 yards in 2017; 46 rushes, 184 yards in 2018.

That's unacceptable for Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker, who no doubt is aware of this disturbing trend. And he's got until the Oct. 26 matchup in Evanston to fix it.

MORE: Unearthing the secrets to Phil Parker's recruiting finds

Purdue

Recent wins vs. Iowa: 24-15 (Iowa City, 2017); 38-36 (West Lafayette, 2018).

In a nutshell: As you’ll see in the quote to follow, Brohm has effectively identified weak spots in Iowa’s pass coverage and gone after them, again and again. The Boilermakers have also surprisingly bottled up Iowa’s running game; the Hawkeyes have managed a mere 2.7 yards per rush in two years against Brohm.

Brohm says: “We’ve had a little luck on our side both years.

“When you can get a big play or two on them, it helps. They’re great at not giving up big plays. They’re a team that controls the ball, plays with great defense, has a great offensive line and running game. So, if you can find a way to get a lead — which we did by being aggressive — it puts them in a harder position.”

The one thing Iowa needs to fix: big plays.

Almost like clockwork (and to Brohm’s point), Purdue has annually turned deep shots into double-digit leads against Iowa at around the 12-minute mark of the third quarter — 21-9 two years ago, 28-17 after an 82-yard heave to Terry Wright last year.

Iowa gave up the fewest big plays of any team in the Big Ten in 2018, but have struggled to plug the gaps against Brohm and the Boilermakers.

Wisconsin

Recent wins vs. Iowa: 17-9 (Iowa City, 2016), 38-14 (Madison, 2017), 28-17 (Iowa City, 2018).

In a nutshell: Wisconsin was clearly the better team in division-title years of 2016 and 2017, but Iowa let last year’s result slip away by yielding two touchdowns in the final minute. The Iowa-Wisconsin winner usually decides the West, so this year's Nov. 9 matchup should be packed with meaning.

Chryst says: “You look at (Iowa), and you know it’s going to be a well-fought, tough game. You’ve got to do things to give yourself a chance. The game we didn’t (a 10-6 Iowa win in 2015), we turned the ball over four or five times. When you’re playing against a good opponent, a team you’re evenly matched with, it’s all those little things.”

The one thing Iowa needs to fix: third downs.

(And, by extension, time of possession.)

The Badgers are 20-for-44 (45.4%) vs. Iowa on third downs over the past three years, compared with the Hawkeyes’ woeful 7-for-37 (18.9%). That’s gameplanning, play-calling and execution ... that’s getting to third-and-manageable instead of third-and-long.

As a result, Wisconsin has hogged the ball for an average of 36 minutes, 54 seconds in the past three meetings against Iowa, compared with the Hawkeyes’ 23:06.

That discrepancy matters. Iowa’s defense was exposed and tired in last year’s decisive final minutes.

In conclusion ...

Iowa players watched Northwestern celebrate a Big Ten West title at Kinnick last year. The woes against Wisconsin are well-documented. Ferentz knows the importance of those two opponents, in particular.

"The bottom line is they played better than us in all of those games," Ferentz said last week. "... I think we know what it’s going to take to be successful. Now the challenge is: Can we do it? We’re going to have to."

Hawkeyes columnist Chad Leistikow has covered sports for 24 years with The Des Moines Register, USA TODAY and Iowa City Press-Citizen. Follow @ChadLeistikow on Twitter.

LINK: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2019/07/23/iowa-football-big-ten-west-hawkeyes-pat-fitzgerald-jeff-brohm-paul-chryst-northwestern-wisconsin/1794539001/

I still think Purdue might be the favorite!

Leistikow keeps saying Iowa is the West favorite.

Leistikow: Predicting every Big Ten team's 2019 record
Chad Leistikow, Hawk Central
Published 3:17 p.m. CT July 24, 2019

BIG TEN WEST

1. Iowa

Crossovers: Rutgers (home), Michigan (road), Penn State (home)

Why No. 1?
The three most important position groups in college football are (in order) quarterback, defensive line and offensive line. And the Hawkeyes head into the 2019 season strong on all three fronts, making them the team to beat in the West. Iowa brings back a veteran roster from a team that should’ve won 10 games last fall. Quarterback Nate Stanley has upgraded weapons at wide receiver to offset the NFL Draft losses at tight end. Defensive coordinator Phil Parker has more flexibility as ever in calling his defense, which last year ranked No. 7 in the FBS.

Potential issues
The road schedule is daunting, with five matchups against teams that have appeared in many preseason top 25s — Iowa State, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Brian Ferentz must take the next step in Year 3 as offensive coordinator. Punter was the team’s most glaring weakness a year ago; it’s imperative that graduate transfer Michael Sleep-Dalton make it a strength.

Leistikow’s 2019 record prediction
9-3, 7-2

T-2. Northwestern
Crossovers: Michigan State (home), Ohio State (home), Indiana (road)

Why tied for No. 2?
Once again, Pat Fitzgerald's team is flying under the radar. Somehow, a team that has won 15 of its past 16 Big Ten regular-season games … was picked fourth in the West in the Cleveland.com preseason media poll. Fitzgerald has a tough defense that’ll be especially competitive when the weather gets cold. Paddy Fisher is Northwestern’s version of Josey Jewell at middle linebacker — a tenacious player who just makes plays.

Potential issues
The season’s biggest curiosity is how quickly five-star quarterback Hunter Johnson (a Clemson transfer) blossoms. He’s only thrown 27 collegiate passes, so a growth curve should be expected. The Wildcats have a stiff schedule, which includes a road game at Stanford and two challenging Big Ten East crossovers. Uncertain place-kicking could prove costly in what expects to a be a nip-and-tuck division.

8-4, 6-3

T-2. Minnesota
Crossovers: Rutgers (road), Maryland (home), Indiana (home)

Why tied for No. 2?
The Gophers have the friendliest schedule of any team in the West, and it’s easy to overlook that this team is filled with skill-position talent. P.J. Fleck may have the best receiving tandem in the conference in Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman, and the Gophers are stacked at running back with 1,000-yard rusher Mohamed Ibrahim plus veterans Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks (both coming off injuries). Nine wins and the Gophers’ first Big Ten West title are well within reach.

Potential issues
The roster is still young, and that means inconsistency, which surfaced in last year's embarrassing blowout loss at Illinois a year ago. The defense finished strong in 2018 after a coordinator change. It remains to be seen how much of a bounce the Gophers can get from beating Wisconsin for the first time 2003.

8-4, 6-3

T-4. Purdue
Crossovers: Penn State (road), Maryland (home), Indiana (home)

Why tied for No. 4?
The Boilermakers had an overwhelmingly strong offseason. They retained innovative coach Jeff Brohm on a lucrative seven-year deal; signed a top-25 recruiting class; and got quarterback Elijah Sindelar back for a sixth year. Brohm and Sindelar have one of the most exciting playmakers in the country in slot receiver Rondale Moore. Purdue’s tough road schedule could prevent a realistic shot at a Big Ten West title.

Potential issues
Although much of the defense comes back, this is a team that was overpowered by Auburn 63-14 in the Music City Bowl. The offensive line is a major question mark. A schedule with 11 Power Five opponents presents the opportunity for greater injury attrition … or a breakthrough.

8-4, 5-4

T-4. Nebraska
Crossovers: Ohio State (home), Indiana (home), Maryland (road)

Why tied for No. 4?
The Cornhuskers are trending, up with an exciting quarterback in Adrian Martinez and a manageable 2019 schedule. Coach Scott Frost is trumpeting significant weight-room gains, saying his players look like Nebraska players. The Black Friday finale against Iowa could spell the difference between a division title and mid-pack finish.

Potential issues
Several offseason arrests for marijuana use are red flags that the culture isn’t quite in place yet in Lincoln. The roster is increasing in talent, but proven results are needed. Can the Cornhuskers, 4-8 a year ago, deal with high expectations? They were picked by media members to win the West. An early home game with Ohio State and trips to Purdue and Minnesota will be key program barometers.

8-4, 5-4

6. Wisconsin
Crossovers: Michigan (home), Michigan State (home), Ohio State (road)

Why No. 6?
It seems unthinkable that the West's most dominant team historically is picked sixth, but Paul Chryst's squad will be unproven at quarterback after Alex Hornibrook's transfer to Florida State. Look for true freshman Graham Mertz to win the job at some point. The rest of the division is getting stronger and still has Wisconsin circled in red. You saw that crossover schedule, right? Heisman Trophy hopeful Jonathan Taylor certainly provides stability at running back, and Camp Randall Stadium is always a tough place to play.

Potential issues
Some have Wisconsin winning the West, too, so the predictions are all over the board. The offensive line is being refurbished, which (in Wisconsin) shouldn’t be a major concern. The defense is young and lacks star power. The Badgers might just be in a rebuilding year for the first time in a long time.

7-5, 4-5

7. Illinois
Crossovers: Michigan (home), Rutgers (home), Michigan State (road)

Why No. 7?
Coach Lovie Smith said at Big Ten Media Days that he thought his Illini could be a league surprise. "A few years ago, we had 15 freshmen that started," he said. "Those guys are juniors now and are running our football team." Taking that next step has been a challenge for a program that hasn’t experienced a winning season since 2011.

Potential issues
A 63-0 loss to Iowa in the home finale showed just how steep the climb is for Smith in Year 3. The Illini need to discover a quarterback (and a defense) to pair with talented running back Reggie Corbin.

4-8, 1-8

LINK to full story: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...eyes-iowa-football-chad-leistikow/1803038001/

Last edited:
ce4e3943-582c-41bb-9779-692dcee19624-190426-Iowa_FB-041.JPG

No. 1 Iowa (predicted finish: 9-3 overall, 7-2 in Big Ten West): The schedule is not easy, but Iowa has a proven quarterback and some elite college football talents in defensive end A.J. Epenesa and bookend tackles Tristan Wirfs and Alaric Jackson. If a running back emerges, then this will be a fall to remember in Iowa City.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
According to B/R

We play:
#8 Michigan A
#11 Penn State H
#20 Wisconsin A
#21 Iowa State A
#24 Northwestern A
#25 Nebraska A

That’s a tough schedule, but a huge opportunity to score points with the voters.
I think 5-1 is unlikely, 4-2 is possible, 3-3 most likely.

Reactions: Franisdaman
According to B/R

We play:
#8 Michigan A
#11 Penn State H
#20 Wisconsin A
#21 Iowa State A
#24 Northwestern A
#25 Nebraska A

That’s a tough schedule, but a huge opportunity to score points with the voters.
I think 5-1 is unlikely, 4-2 is possible, 3-3 most likely.
I hope CBS Sports is wrong. They say Iowa ends up 7-5 or worse!

Check this out:

IOWA

7.5 wins: The right play here is the under.

You can justify picking Iowa to win eight games as it's well within range, and the juice on it makes it even more attractive. Still, I think the under happens often enough to justify the -130 price on it. The Hawkeyes will be on the road for key games against Iowa State, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Nebraska. That means they would have to be perfect at home to realistically get to eight wins. Iowa certainly can do that, but Penn State and Purdue won't be gimmes, and Minnesota could be more challenging this season as well. -- Over +112, Under -130

Reminder: For those uninitiated on "prices," minus-odds of -120 mean you'd have to wager $120 to win $100, while plus-odds (+120) means wagering $100 would win you $120. An "EVEN" price would result in a $100 payout for a $100 wager. Also, since FanDuel is located in New Jersey, it does not give odds on Rutgers.

Last edited:

football.svg

WAYNE STAATS | NCAA.COM | JULY 16, 2019

Bold prediction for the 2019 college football season

Nebraska goes to the Big Ten Championship Game

Northwestern shocked the league on the way to winning the Big Ten West and meeting Ohio State for the conference crown last season. Though a surprise, Northwestern did run away with the division title, going 8-1 in conference play.

This year, the Wildcats probably think they're more than good enough to return. But Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin also want a chance — plus Minnesota and Purdue could make for another league surprise. Really, anything can happen.

Though Nebraska went 4-8 last year in Scott Frost's first season back home, the Huskers seem like the most obvious candidate for a huge turnaround. QB Adrian Martinez might end up being one of the best quarterbacks in the Big Ten and maybe in the country if everything breaks right. Nebraska also closed much better than it started, coming from an 0-6 start to a 4-2 finish with a pair of close losses to Ohio State and Iowa.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...lege-football-preview-predictions-2019-season

It's time for Gophers to contend under P.J. Fleck
Factoring returning talent and schedule, anything less than eight wins for the Gophers will be disappointing.

JULY 27, 2019 — 5:11PM

P.J. Fleck opened his address at the recent Big Ten Media Days by noting that the Gophers went from being the youngest team in college football last season to the second-youngest team this season.

Please, not more of that.

The 2019 season isn’t about “racing to maturity” or measuring growth in slow drips. The Gophers can’t be labeled a veteran team just yet, but they are also not a bunch of unproven newbies.

Year 3 of Fleck’s tenure shifts to a new focus — becoming a legitimate contender in the Big Ten West. There’s no reason why the Gophers can’t reach that mile marker.

The offense should be balanced and high-scoring behind one of the best wide receiver corps in the Big Ten, the return of Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks in the backfield and two quarterbacks who started six games last season.

A defense that performed a dramatic about-face under Joe Rossi the final four games last season welcomes back playmaker Antoine Winfield Jr.

Momentum and confidence are gold currency for programs in rebuilding mode. The Gophers stuffed their pockets with it in closing out 2018. Three wins in their final four games. Reclaiming Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time in forever. A bowl-game blowout. Tyler Johnson staying in school.

Momentum, all of it.

The roster might be crammed with underclassmen, but it isn’t devoid of star power. Johnson, Winfield, Smith and Brooks, Carter Coughlin, Rashod Bateman, Seth Green, Mohamed Ibrahim, Thomas Barber, Daniel Faalele.

That’s a pretty good starting point.

The schedule works in their favor, too. Seven home games, including five in Big Ten play. Their three crossover opponents from the Big Ten’s Big Brother division are Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State — the final two at home.

Compare that to the Wisconsin Badgers, who drew Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State in crossover games.

Factoring returning talent and schedule, anything less than eight wins for the Gophers will be disappointing.

The West Division is wide open, more so than in previous years. No team looks substantially better than the rest. Every team except Illinois realistically could contend in November.

Offense will be the Gophers’ hallmark after significant improvement in Fleck’s second season. The Gophers ranked 64th nationally in scoring (28.9 points per game) and 86th in total offense (379.6 yards per game), which doesn’t seem overly impressive until you compare that production to Fleck’s inaugural season: 109th in scoring (22.1 ppg) and 122nd in total offense (308.5 ypg).

Assuming good health, another big leap seems inevitable. Smith, Brooks and Ibrahim have combined for 6,001 yards rushing in their careers. Glen Mason often noted that Big Ten teams need a “pair and a spare” at running back. The Gophers have three starting-caliber backs.

Johnson’s decision to put off the NFL for one more year gives the Gophers one of the best receivers in college football. Bateman is a star in the making. Green’s versatility as a wildcat quarterback provides the offense a unique and effective dimension.

Quarterbacks Tanner Morgan and Zack Annexstad don’t have extensive résumés, but they have résumés now. Regardless of who wins the job, the Gophers don’t have an unknown at the most important position.

Maybe the biggest development of the offseason was Kirk Ciarrocca’s decision to turn down an offer from West Virginia to remain as offensive coordinator. Continuity in scheme and coaching are vital as Fleck builds his program.

Coaches often preach about process, but results represent tangible signs of progress. The Gophers made strides that could be measured last season. The final month felt like a light bulb flicking on. Winning the Axe wasn’t a fluke.

“You start to show people where we’re headed because everybody wants proof,” Fleck said.

The Gophers remain in a prove-it phase, which makes their follow-up act particularly important. If you haven’t heard, attendance is a problem, not just here but across all of college football. Winning creates buzz, which spurs interest, which drives attendance. The Gophers need to provide more proof, as Fleck describes it.

Last season was a youth movement. This season is about moving up. Expectations deserve to be higher.

chip.scoggins@startribune.com

Chip Scoggins is a sports columnist and enterprise writer for the Star Tribune. He previously covered the Vikings, Gophers football, Wild, Wolves and high school sports in nearly 19 years at the paper.

ascoggins@startribune.com
612-673-4484
@chipscoggins

http://www.startribune.com/it-s-time-for-gophers-to-contend-under-p-j-fleck/513294182/

Minnesota Golden Gophers[/paste:font]
i

2018 record and rankings: 7-6 (No. 45 in S&P+, No. 48 in FPI)
2019 S&P+ projection: 7.5 wins (No. 33)
2019 FPI projection: 8.3 wins (No. 28)

To paraphrase former ESPN analyst Lou Holtz, a college football coach coaches a different team every week. Teams are collections of different impressions and levels of quality. Perhaps it makes sense that Holtz was at one point Minnesota's head coach. Few teams give as many different impressions in a single year as PJ Fleck's Golden Gophers did last fall.

Fleck's second Minnesota team did all of the following things:

• Beat eventual MWC champion Fresno State (which finished 16th in S&P+)
• Destroyed Purdue 41-10
• Destroyed Wisconsin in Madison 37-15
• Destroyed Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl 34-10

The same team also did this:

• Lost at Maryland 42-13
• Lost at Nebraska 53-28
• Lost at Illinois 55-31

Minnesota started 3-0, lost four straight games by at least 16 points each, then won four of six to finish the season. The Gophers ended up 45th in S&P+, but that's misleading -- they basically either played like a top-20 or bottom-50 team in a given week.

This otherworldly volatility makes a lot more sense when you realize how young Minnesota was. The Gophers alternated between two freshman quarterbacks (Zack Annexstad and Tanner Morgan) and two freshman running backs (Mohamed Ibrahim and Bryce Williams) in the backfield. Plus, three of four primary receivers were freshmen, and those accounting for 42 of 65 line stars were either freshmen or sophomores.

The defense was far more experienced -- and better -- but still featured four freshmen and sophomores making at least 30 tackles and four or five more in the rotation.

Once star receiver Tyler Johnson elected to return to Minnesota instead of going pro, it became clear just how much of 2018's production that 2019's Minnesota team was going to have. With just a smidgen of consistency, the Gophers could be incredibly dangerous.

If there's one thing Fleck has proven, it's that he doesn't mind taking his time when it comes to program building. In his first head-coaching gig at Western Michigan, he took over a program that had been forever decent but never great under Bill Cubit. He proceeded to burn the two-deep to the ground in his first season, going 1-11 with a team about as young as Minnesota's was last year: freshman quarterback, freshman and sophomore receivers, etc.

Fleck's highly caffeinated, row-the-boat culture took hold pretty quickly, though. He recruited at an absurdly high level for a MAC school, and his Broncos went from 116th in S&P+ in his first season to 73rd in his second, 56th in his third, and 29th in his fourth. WMU went 13-1 in his final season in Kalamazoo.

His first couple of seasons at Minnesota have seen similar cultural change. They also produced clear growth last year. Granted, his recruiting doesn't stand out as much as it did in the MAC, but it's better than his predecessors managed, and it has already produced quite a few potential stars, from Morgan to Ibrahim to receivers Rashod Bateman and Chris Autman-Bell to a host of offensive linemen and defensive backs.

It has also produced some girth. With the return of senior running backs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks from injury, Minnesota has four exciting backs listed at 200 pounds or more. They will be running behind a line that features 6-foot-9, 400-pound Daniel Faalele, 6-5, 370-pound Curtis Dunlap Jr., and three other 300-pound veterans.

Ibrahim rushed for 224 yards in the bowl romp over Georgia Tech, and while Morgan and the receiving corps are interesting in their own right, there might be times when Minnesota doesn't really have to think about throwing that much.

The Big Ten West is a fascinating place at the moment. Both of the division's stalwarts (Iowa and Wisconsin) look as if they'll be sturdy versions of themselves this year, last year's division champ Northwestern will be starting a former Clemson blue-chipper at quarterback, Purdue boasts a veteran QB, one of the best players in America (Rondale Moore) and an experienced defense, and both Nebraska and Minnesota are high-upside mysteries. And while Nebraska has been the West's preseason up-and-comer du jour (blue bloods always get the nod in this regard), the Gophers might be as or more ready.

The schedule alternates between likely wins and fascinating tossups. Per S&P+, the Gophers are slight favorites at Fresno State, Purdue and Northwestern, and at home against Nebraska. They are also one-score underdogs at Iowa, and at home against Penn State and Wisconsin.

There might not be a sure loss on the schedule, but there might be only four or five sure wins, too. Hello, Big Ten East wild card.

Good analysis, but Cubit did not coach the Gophers. It was Tracy Claeys . Cubit was at Illinois.

Are those for the regular season or do the include bowl game.
July 8, 2019 Update:

See the Vegas win totals at the end of this post. As you can see, Debbie (8.5) is at Purdue (8.0) this year. So, if Purdue does indeed have the 2nd easiest B1G West schedule, are they the West favorite since they get Debbie at home?

Original Post:

What do you think about these B1G West schedule rankings, from toughest to easiest?

1. Wisconsin (Michigan, MSU & Ohio St on the road are their cross over games)

BYE WEEKS: Sep 14, Nov 2

HOME:

Sep 21 Michigan,
Sep 28 Northwestern,
Oct 12 Mich State,
Nov 9 Iowa,
Nov 23 Purdue

ROAD:

Oct 19 Illinois,
Oct 26 Ohio St,
Nov 16 Debbie,
Nov 30 Minny

2. Illinois

BYE WEEKS: Sep 28, Nov 16

HOME:

Sep 21 Debbie,
Oct 12 Michigan,
Oct 19 Wisky,
Nov 2 Rutgers,
Nov 30 Northwestern

ROAD:

Oct 5 Minny,
Oct 26 Purdue,
Nov 9 Mich St,
Nov 23 Iowa

3. Northwestern

BYE WEEKS: Sep 7, Oct 12

HOME:

Sep 21 MSU,
Oct 18 OSU,
Oct 26 Iowa,
Nov 9 Purdue,
Nov 23 Minny

ROAD:

Sep 28 Wisky,
Oct 5 Debbie,
Nov 2 Indiana,
Nov 30 Illinois

4. IOWA (CROSS OVERS: Plays at Mich on Oct 5, hosts PSU Oct 12)

BYE WEEKS: Sep 21, Nov 2

HOME:

Sep 7 Rutgers,
Oct 12 Penn St,
Oct 19 Purdue,
Nov 16 Minny,
Nov 23 Illinois

ROAD:

Oct 5 Michigan,
Oct 26 Northwestern,
Nov 9 Wisky,
Nov 29 Debbie

5. Debbie

BYE WEEKS: Oct 19, Nov 9

HOME:

Sep 28 OSU,
Oct 5 Northwestern,
Oct 26 Indiana,
Nov 16 Wisky,
Nov 29 Iowa

ROAD
:

Sep 21 Illinois,
Oct 12 Minny,
Nov 2 Purdue,
Nov 23 Maryland

6. Purdue

BYE WEEKS: Sep 21, Nov 16

HOME:

Sep 28 Minny,
Oct 12 Maryland,
Oct 26 Illinois,
Nov 2 Debbie,
Nov 30 Indiana

ROAD
:

Oct 5 PSU,
Oct 19 Iowa,
Nov 9 Northwestern,
Nov 23 Wisky

7. Minny (Rutgers, MD & PSU at home are their cross over games)

HOME:

Oct 5 Illinois,
Oct 12 Debbie,
Oct 26 Maryland,
Nov 9 PSU,
Nov 30 Wisky

ROAD
:

Sep 28 Purdue,
Oct 19 Rutgers,
Nov 16 Iowa,
Nov 23 Northwestern

Interesting Las Vegas Win Totals follow.

Debbie (8.5) is at Purdue (8.0) this year. So, if Purdue does indeed have the 2nd easiest B1G West schedule, are they the West favorite since they get Debbie at home?

Vegas Win Totals:
  • Ohio State: 10.5 (Over +112, Under -130)
  • Michigan: 9.5 (Over -168, Under +142)
  • Nebraska: 8.5 (Over +164, Under -194)
  • Penn State: 8.5 (Over -166, Under +140)
  • Wisconsin: 8.5 (Over -114, Under -102)
  • Purdue: 8 (Over +156, Under -184)
  • Iowa: 7.5 (Over +112, Under -130)
  • Michigan State: 7.5 (Over +100, Under -120)
  • Minnesota: 6.5 (Over -190, Under +162)
  • Northwestern: 6.5 (Over -108, Under -108)
  • Indiana: 6 (Over -136, Under +116)
  • Maryland: 4.5 (Over +124, Under -146)
  • Illinois: 3 (Over -184, Under +154)

Reminder: For those uninitiated on "prices," minus-odds of -120 mean you'd have to wager $120 to win $100, while plus-odds (+120) means wagering $100 would win you $120. An "EVEN" price would result in a $100 payout for a $100 wager. Also, since FanDuel is located in New Jersey, it does not give odds on Rutgers, so the Scarlet Knights are not included above.[/QU

Good analysis, but Cubit did not coach the Gophers. It was Tracy Claeys . Cubit was at Illinois.
I copied & pasted the article ;)

This column is just another example of how critical the Twin Cities media is on Minnesota college & pro sports teams.

Minnesota has the easiest B1G West schedule. They are coming off wins at Wisconsin & from their bowl game. They still have a very young roster, but they are all one year older. Is this PJ's/Minny's year? Leistikow of the Des Moines Register has them as 3rd best in the West. Is that good enough?

Another analyst points to Minny's easy 9 game conference schedule & looks at them as possibly winning the West.

The Goofers have a lot of momentum coming into this season, ending last season with wins over Purdue, Wisconsin & Georgia Tech (in their bowl game).

Watch:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/video/be3741fb-daa9-4ebf-94ef-37cba19b4045

As a reminder, this is their schedule. They don't see Michigan, Ohio State or Michigan State. They get Penn State, Debbie and Wisky all at home.

Rutgers, Maryland & PSU at home are their cross over games.

HOME:

Oct 5 Illinois,
Oct 12 Debbie,
Oct 26 Maryland,
Nov 9 PSU,
Nov 30 Wisky

ROAD
:

Sep 28 Purdue,
Oct 19 Rutgers,
Nov 16 Iowa,
Nov 23 Northwestern

Last edited:
Do you agree with these 2 articles from the same web site?

If Iowa has the #1 OL in the West & the #1 DL in the West....

Thoughts?

Rating the 2019 Big Ten Offensive Lines — West Division
July 13, 2019
by Tony Gerdeman
https://theozone.net/2019/07/rating-2019-big-ten-offensive-lines-west/

This annual exercise of rating the Big Ten divisions position by position is done with the intention of figuring out which two teams will be playing in the Big Ten Championship Game.

I rank the positions then tally up all of the finishes and I pretty much spoil the entire football season for everyone. It’s a true joy of mine.

In these ratings — as in football — the better the offensive line, the better the chances of making it to Indianapolis in December.

We have already covered the offensive lines of the Big Ten East, so now we turn our attention westward to the other side of the standings.

(The number in parentheses next to the team name is the number of recruiting stars on the roster at that position.)

1. Iowa Hawkeyes (53)

The Hawkeyes return the best pair of offensive tackles in the Big Ten in juniors Alaric Jackson and Tristan Wirfs. Jackson was a Second-Team All-Big Ten selection last year and has 24 career starts to his credit. Wirfs has 20 starts over his first two seasons and this spring set a team record with four reps of 450 pounds in the hang clean. Both get to work in practice against junior defensive end AJ Epenesa, who may be the best pass rusher in the Big Ten. Redshirt freshman Tyler Linderbaum could be the answer at center after moving over from defensive line during bowl prep. A pair of starting guards will need to be found, but there are several veterans to choose from, which will bode well for their immediate production. The Hawkeyes led the Big Ten with just 16 sacks allowed last season, but the rush offense will be determined by the production from the interior guys.

2. Minnesota Golden Gophers (41)
Three full-time starters return on the offensive line, along with two other linemen with starting experience. Sophomore Daniel Faalele, sophomore Blaise Andries, and junior Conner Olson all earned Honorable Mention All-Big Ten notice last year. Faalele is the 6-foot-9 400-pound former Australian rugby player who started eight games as a true freshman last season. Andries started all 13 games at right guard last year, but moves to left guard this season. Olson started at left guard last year, but will move to center this year. He started six games there in 2017, so this won’t be new for him. Left tackle is still open. Right guard looks like redshirt freshman Curtis Dunlap, who was able to play in four games last year, including one start. The Gophers were middle of the road in rushing and sacks allowed last year with young players. They should be better this year.

3. Wisconsin Badgers (46)
Wisconsin must replace four starters from last season, but would anybody be surprised if they still end up with one of the two or three best lines in the Big Ten? All Big Ten center Tyler Biadasz returns, which is a great start. Just a junior, Biadasz has been tremendous in his first two years in Madison. Sophomore Logan Bruss looks like the guy at right tackle. He started a handful of games last season at right tackle due to injury. There were injuries this spring, so several players experimented at different spots, which could make this a fluid and versatile group in the fall. Seniors Jason Erdmann and David Moorman have been around forever, but have just one start between them. Junior Cole Van Lanen looks to be the left tackle, which is going to make him a very important piece to this offense given the Badgers’ passing struggles.

4. Nebraska Cornhuskers (48)
Nebraska returns three starters from 2018, including Honorable Mention All-Big Ten linemen Boe Wilson and Brenden Jaimes. The junior James is back at left tackle, starting 12 games last year and eight games at right tackle as a true freshman. The potential is high with him. Wilson started nine games at right guard last year. Junior Matt Farniak returns at right tackle, but he has also started games at right guard in the past. Center is looking like redshirt freshman Cameron Jurgens, who came to Nebraska as a tight end. Jurgens has had injury issues, however, having not finished a season healthy since his junior year of high school. Sophomore walk-on Trent Hixson looks like the left guard. He played in three games last year. The Huskers’ 5.41 yards per carry was the fourth-best in the B1G and their best mark since joining the conference.

5. Illinois Fighting Illini (38)
The young Illini return four starting offensive linemen from last season. Illinois’ 5.91 yards per carry last year was the second-best mark in the Big Ten, and they did this with no passing threat to speak of. Junior center Doug Kramer enters his third year of starting, and he is joined by junior tackles Alex Palczewski and Vederian Lowe, who are also stepping into their respective third years as starters. Sophomore Kendrick Green started every game last year as a redshirt freshman. Alabama graduate transfer Richie Petitbon played in 11 games over his 3-year career with the Crimson Tide. This is going to be an offense looking for an identity — and using very different quarterbacks to find it. The offensive line is going to need to be at its best, while also being flexible enough to handle abrupt changes in style.

6. Purdue Boilermakers (40)
The Boilermakers return both tackles from last season, but have very little experience coming back on the interior. Senior Matt McCann and junior Grant Hermanns are the returnees, but they were also part of giving up 30 sacks last season, which was the third-most in the Big Ten. During the spring, head coach Jeff Brohm looked for combinations on the offensive line that would work, but that process was hindered because sophomore Viktor Beach — the expected starter at center — missed much of camp with back issues. There are no shortage of other names to fill out the rest of the starting five, but the experience behind those names is sparse. There is some flexibility, however, because the right tackle McCann also spent time this spring at guard. If they can’t find two guards but have three tackles, then McCann could slide inside.

7. Northwestern Wildcats (45)
Three starters are gone from last season, but some solid progress was made in the spring. Senior Jared Thomas is back at center. He started all 14 games for Northwestern last season and puts the offense in good hands this season. Third-Team All-Big Ten right tackle Rashawn Slater is back, but has moved to left tackle. A junior, Slater has been a starter in each of his first two seasons. Junior Gunnar Vogel is expected to step in for Slater’s departed right tackle spot. Junior Nik Urban started three games at guard last season and looks like the guy at left guard. Redshirt freshman Sam Stovall is a possible starter at right guard. Northwestern’s 2.57 sacks allowed per game last season was the worst in the conference and 93rd in the nation. The Wildcats were also dead last in the B1G in rushing last year.

Rating the 2019 Big Ten Defensive Lines — West Division

July 29, 2019
by Tony Gerdeman
https://theozone.net/2019/07/rating-2019-big-ten-defensive-lines-west-division/

The Big Ten West is not as known for its defense as the Big Ten East is, and much of that is because of the respective defensive lines.

It takes the programs in the Big Ten West a bit longer to develop their front fours into formidable foes, and even with a veteran line, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re going to be all that stout.

This year, however, the conference’s best lineman may reside in the West, and the talent levels across the division are improving.

Can they match the East? They won’t necessarily need to, so it may not matter.

All they need to worry about being the best in the division and the rest will take care of itself.

(The number in parentheses is the total number of recruiting stars at defensive line for each team.)

1. Iowa Hawkeyes (42)

Iowa loses all four starters from last season, but don’t get too brokenhearted because they still return First-Team All-Big Ten defensive end AJ Epenesa, who was part of a 3-man rotation last year. Still just a junior, Epenesa may be the best defensive player in the conference and is already looked at as a projected first-round NFL Draft pick next spring. Epenesa is big (6-6 277) and relentless, but he will have more on his plate this season. At the other defensive end will be junior Chauncey Golston, who has played in 24 games the last two season. He finished with 3.5 sacks and 9.0 tackles for loss last year coming off the bench. Together, Golston and Epenesa should be a formidable tandem. Seniors Brady Reiff and Cedrick Lattimore are the two expected starters on the inside. Lattimore started six games in 2017 and added 21 tackles last season. Even though there aren’t many starts here, there is still a good amount of experience and production. Can they repeat as the No. 2 rush defense in the Big Ten?

2. Purdue Boilermakers (52)

Purdue returns five defensive linemen with starting experience thanks to the move of junior linebacker Derrick Barnes to Leo. Barnes tallied 92 tackles, 3.0 sacks, and 8.0 tackles for loss last season. He is expected to be an effective speed rusher for the Boilermakers. On the other side will be true freshman George Karlaftis, who was one of the top defensive end prospects in the 2019 class. He enrolled early and opened spring practice with the ones and never left. Expectations are understandably high for Karlaftis. Both of last year’s starting ends return as well, so there is decent depth here. One of those returners is sophomore Giovanni Reviere, who could also show up at defensive tackle. Senior nose tackle Lorenzo Neal is returning from a torn ACL last year, so they are expected to take it slow through camp. Junior defensive tackle Anthony Watts started 12 games last year and finished with 42 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss. This group returns more experience than maybe any other defensive line in the nation, but they also allowed 15 rushing touchdowns over the final five games of the season last year.

3. Nebraska Cornhuskers (45)

Nebraska is one of three 3-4 defensive teams in the Big Ten, so what they lack in numbers, they make up for in mass per square inch by averaging about 310 pounds across the front three. Junior defensive end Ben Stille started 11 games last year, finishing with 25 tackles and 5.0 sacks. Senior defensive end Khalil Davis was an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten selection last year, following a season where he posted 41 tackles, 3.0 sacks, and 5.0 tackles for loss. His twin brother Carlos, who was also Honorable Mention All-B1G, has 25 starts over the last three seasons and 69 tackles over the last two. The Davis brothers are expected to be part of a defensive end rotation. Oklahoma State transfer Darrion Daniels looks like the guy at nose tackle, and his younger brother Damion Daniels appears to be a capable backup. Being a 3-4 defense, a lot of the sacks and tackles for loss are expected to come from the pass-rushing outside linebackers, but the three guys up front will need to be much more effective against the run than they were a year ago when the Huskers finished 12th in the B1G against the run (195.8 ypg).

4. Northwestern Wildcats (40)

Northwestern loses its two defensive tackles from last season, but starting defensive ends Joe Gaziano and Samdup Miller return. Miller has started every game of his career, but his junior season needs to be his best. He had 53 tackles last season, but just 1.5 sacks. Gaziano is a senior who has started the last 27 games for Northwestern, just like Miller. Gaziano was a Second-Team All-Big Ten selection last season following a year where he led the team with 7.5 sacks and 12.5 tackles for loss. He also added 44 tackles and eight quarterback hurries. Senior defensive end Trent Goens provides productive depth as well. On the interior, senior Alex Miller and junior Jake Saunders must step up and set the tone against the run. Saunders has been injured the last two years, but hopes are high that he can stay healthy this season. The Wildcats were fourth in the Big Ten against the run last season (129.6 ypg), and that improved to second in the Big Ten (112.0 ypg) in November. Finding productive defensive tackles will be key in keeping that standard.

5. Minnesota Golden Gophers (47)

Two starters return from a defense last season that was 12th in the Big Ten in yards per carry allowed (5.2), though they were middle of the road in sacks and tackles for loss. The star here is senior defensive end Carter Coughlin, who was a coveted outside linebacker prospect in high school. He enters his third year of starting. He was a Second-Team All-B1G selection last year, thanks to 48 tackles and a team-high 9.5 sacks and 15.0 tackles for loss. The starter on the other side returns as well. Senior Winston DeLattiboudere started five games in each of his first two seasons, but rose to start 12 games last year. The production needs to improve and he will likely be pushed by sophomore Boye Mafe, who had a strong spring and started once as a freshman last year. Senior defensive tackle Sam Renner started three games last year, so he has some experience. Notre Dame transfer Micah Dew-Treadway is hoped to be a starter and producer this year. Sophomore Jamaal Teague had a couple of TFLs as a true freshman last season. PJ Fleck likes his potential.

6. Wisconsin Badgers (33)

The Badgers are one of the three 3-4 defenses in the Big Ten. Two starters depart, including one who moved back to the offensive line. This is not a terribly productive group overall. Junior defensive end Isaiahh Loudermilk started six games last season, finishing with 15 tackles, 1.0 sacks, and 2.5 tackles for loss. On the other side should be sophomore Matt Henningsen, who started 10 games and added 32 tackles. Junior Garrett Rand missed last season, but has played in 28 games in his career. Nose tackle Bryson Williams started the final three games as a true freshman last season and is expected to continue to hold down the job. There isn’t anything exciting to mention here. Wisconsin’s run defense last year finished eighth in the Big Ten (155.1 ypg) and their 1.46 sacks per game was 13th in the conference. This group doesn’t necessarily need to get into the backfield, but they do need to keep the line of scrimmage from moving forward. Can they?

7. Illinois Fighting Illini (50)

The loss of defensive end Bobby Roundtree to a spinal injury in the spring was terrible for all involved. Even without the Illini’s leading disruptor from 2018, Illinois still returns a number of players with starting experience. Junior defensive end Owen Carney is the leading returner in sacks, with just 2.5 last year. He added 21 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss while starting eight games last year. The other defensive end looks like either junior Isaiah Gay or former 5-star USC transfer Oluwole Betiku, who have a combined one career tackle for loss. Sophomore defensive tackle Jamal Woods missed last year, but had 3.5 tackles for loss as a true freshman in 2017. Senior tackles Tymir Oliver and Jamal Milan have over 40 starts between them, and senior Kenyon Jackson started eight games on the interior over his first two years. The Illini allowed a Big Ten-worst 6.0 yards per carry last season. Only five teams in the nation were worse.

I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, but this writer says there are 3 candidates from the West who could win the Heisman.

That, of course, means that a B1G West team has a pretty incredible season.

Iowa is one of the West favorites. Hmmmm.....

Any way, you can see one of her candidates in this pic.

Who would the other 2 be? The Debbie QB? And? Rondale Moore? Or???

Not saying Taylor isn't a very good running back, but I find that photo an interesting choice. Taylor wasn't even the back with the most influence that game. Ibrahim was. He really set the tempo for Minnesota's rushing attack that day.

Not saying Taylor isn't a very good running back, but I find that photo an interesting choice. Taylor wasn't even the back with the most influence that game. Ibrahim was. He really set the tempo for Minnesota's rushing attack that day.
It will be interesting to see what Wisconsin does with that brutal schedule

and if their OL & DL lines are a bit shaky, that will be fun to watch as well

Predicting the Big Ten West’s season

The Big Ten West is wide open, and only one team can make the trip to Indianapolis.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor
July 31, 2019

Prediction season is here, and the wide-open Big Ten West makes it even more interesting.

With Iowa aiming to make a trip to Indianapolis (and the Big Ten title game) for the first time since 2015, Nebraska trying to improve on its 4-8 season in 2018, and Northwestern attempting to defend its West Division title, anything could happen.

The Daily Iowan has re-engaged its crystal ball in an effort to solve the mystery.

Iowa — 9-3 (6-3 Big Ten)

With a three-year starter taking snaps behind an offensive line with two potential first-round NFL Draft picks and A.J. Epenesa and Geno Stone holding the fort down on defense, the Hawkeyes boast plenty of talent to be reckoned with.

Iowa’s schedule could hold it back, though. The Hawkeyes face a five-game stretch starting Oct. 5 in which they face Michigan, Penn State, Purdue, Northwestern, and Wisconsin.

Nebraska — 8-4 (5-4)

The Huskers will undoubtedly be better than they were last year. With a quarterback who can be the face of the program in Adrian Martinez leading a solid offense, the Nebraska defense will be its biggest weakness in games against high-powered offenses. The Huskers ranked 11th in the conference in scoring defense last season,giving up 31.3 points per game, ahead only of Illinois and Rutgers.

RELATED: Emerging Big Ten West strengthens conference

Wisconsin — 8-4 (5-4)

Wisconsin’s schedule is brutal. With crossover games against Michigan State, Michigan, and Ohio State, the Badgers will go up against some of the best teams the Big Ten has to offer. Alex Hornibrook will also be gone, so the Badgers need to find a quarterback fast. The Badgers previously held the spot as the go-to pick to win the West, but that’s not the case this time around.

Purdue — 7-5 (5-4)

The Boilermakers’ high-power offense led by head coach Jeff Brohm and electrifying wide receiver Rondale Moore will be fun to watch. Still, Purdue doesn’t boast all the pieces to take the Big Ten by storm — its defense gave up 30.0 points per game last season, which ranked 10th in the conference.

Northwestern — 7-5 (5-4)

Long-time leader at quarterback Clayton Thorson is gone after a lengthy career with the Wildcats. But if former five-star recruit and Clemson transfer Hunter Johnson can come in and make some magic happen, Northwestern has the chance to surprise people. The Wildcats are the defending West champs, so they have experience and confidence on their side.

Minnesota — 6-6 (3-6)

Minnesota’s schedule starts off with the Gophers looking like a legitimate contender for the West title, but a four-game stretch to end the season with Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, and Wisconsin won’t do the Gophers any favors. While Minnesota’s ground game could impress some people, it won’t be enough to take it to the next level.

Illinois — 2-10 (0-9)

The football schedule on Illinois’ website has the Big Ten Championship at the bottom, but the Illini won’t see Lucas Oil Stadium anytime soon. Every team Illinois plays this season is simply better. With another year of Lovie Smith, the Illini could pick up a Big Ten victory, but it’s unlikely.

https://dailyiowan.com/2019/07/31/predicting-the-big-ten-wests-season/

Check out how preseason ranked Iowa teams ended up doing.

If we are going by historical averages (2 wins for every loss), this could be another 8-4 year.

7 B1G teams make up the initial ESPN Power Rankings.

Iowa is the highest ranked B1G West team.

Iowa plays 5 of the Top 25; 4 of those games ARE ON THE ROAD.

No. 1 Clemson

No. 2 Alabama

No. 3 Georgia

No. 4 Oklahoma

No. 5
Ohio State
i

New coach Ryan Day would probably prefer to have an established quarterback room rather than breaking in transfers Justin Fields and Gunnar Hoak, but Fields is a former No. 1-ranked recruit and fits well within the system. Despite losing quite a bit at quarterback and receiver, Ohio State should return enough to propel the Buckeyes to success this season. The defense should be a strength, returning most of the top performers, and despite losing Urban Meyer, the continuity with the rest of the staff and the additions Day has made should equate to a smooth transition. -- Tom VanHaaren

No. 6 Michigan
i

The Wolverines are sitting directly behind Ohio State in the power rankings, and Jim Harbaugh and his staff need to get past the Buckeyes this season to propel the program toward its lofty expectations. Everything is set up for Michigan to have a big run, with continuity at quarterback with Shea Patterson returning, an experienced offensive line and a new offensive coordinator to modernize the offense. Don Brown's defense will have some big pieces to replace, but Brown has proven his ability to produce a top defense season after season. -- VanHaaren

No. 15 Penn State
i

This will be an interesting season for the Nittany Lions, who are now without quarterback Trace McSorley and running back Miles Sanders. Luckily for Penn State, the defense is stout, and returning leading tackler Micah Parsons is primed to take a step forward in his sophomore season. If the offense can find playmakers, this could be a sneaky team to watch. -- VanHaaren

No. 18 Iowa
i

The Hawkeyes are going to have to replace a lot on defense, but junior defensive end A.J. Epenesa is back and looking to improve upon his outstanding 2018 season in which he had 10.5 sacks. The offense is losing tight ends Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson but returning quarterback Nate Stanley. There are enough big pieces on both sides that Iowa should be able to put together a very good season and compete for a shot at representing the West in the Big Ten Championship game. -- VanHaaren

No. 19 Nebraska
i

Nebraska's 2018 season started off extremely shaky under new coach Scott Frost, but almost midway through the season, the team started to click. The Huskers won four of their last six games and went back and forth with Ohio State before losing 36-31. They showed a lot of improvement, and Frost is hoping that continues with sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez running the offense. The offense should be better given the extra time in this system, so Nebraska could make some noise in the conference and nationally if they can build off the end of last season. -- VanHaaren

No. 22 Wisconsin
i

The Badgers had a somewhat odd season in 2018, finishing 8-5 overall. The defense ranked 54th in rush yards allowed per game, and the offense ranked 118th in passing yards per game. Starting quarterback Alex Hornibrook decided to transfer after freshman Graham Mertz made his way to campus, and Mertz is battling with Jack Coan, Chase Wolf and Danny Vanden Boom. Running back Jonathan Taylor returns, which should help the new quarterback, and the defense should be able to bounce back after both sides saw injuries that hampered performance. -- VanHaaren

No. 24 Michigan State
i

Quarterback Brian Lewerke dealt with an injury last season that severely hampered the Spartans' offense. Michigan State finished 115th in total yards per game on offense and continually relied on its defense to keep the team in games. The defense returns leaders Joe Bachie and Kenny Willekes, and Lewerke is seemingly healthy. If Michigan State can keep Lewerke upright and productive, they should be able to improve on the 7-6 record from last season. -- VanHaaren

No. 25 Iowa State
i

The Cyclones' preseason media forecast, third in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma and Texas, certainly raised eyebrows for a team that last won a conference title in 1912. But a closer study of Matt Campbell's roster justifies the prediction. Iowa State should have the league's best defense, boasting stars at all three levels (linemen JaQuan Bailey and Ray Lima, linebacker Marcel Spears Jr., safety Greg Eisworth). Sophomore quarterback Brock Purdy has an extremely high ceiling. ISU's camp priority will be replacing do-it-all running back David Montgomery -- at least four players are in the mix -- and big-play receiver Hakeem Butler. A very talented tight end group should be featured more in the passing game. -- Rittenberg

LINK to FULL Rankings: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...power-rankings-anyone-stop-alabama-vs-clemson

Last edited:
Most Badger fans feel that with Hornibrook leaving that this is addition by subtraction. I realize we all love to beat on our starting QB's some however. Last year Hornibrook was concussed early and I think it happened more than once. His pocket presence was dismal, He was never a threat to pick up a 3rd and short, not ever. He had big trouble hitting his receivers with catchable balls. So While I don't have any issue at all with Iowa being the fav in the West. To say we will end up 5th or 6th does not seem possible either. Schedule be damned. I think the offense will be fine, in fact more balanced than any in the Chryst era. Defense is where we need to see the most improvement. granted our entire front 3 were injured for most of last year. Everyone is healthy right now! I think we created some depth because of the injuries. We still had good LB's but they as you all know cannot really be the bulwark of your run defense.I would say our outside LB's are the biggest question marks. Inside LB's should be stout. DB's should be improved if experience has any bearing.
I agree with the sentiment here that this will be a fun season to watch develop. One thing I think we can all agree on is screw the B1G East and Nebraska, and Minnesota too.

Reactions: bradmlck
USA TODAY's Big Ten preseason power rankings: Can Iowa Hawkeyes challenge at the top?

Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY
Published 9:31 a.m. CT Aug. 7, 2019

To get ready for the upcoming season, USA TODAY Sports is ranking each of the Power Five leagues from its best team through its worst. Up next: the Big Ten Conference.

The rivalry between Michigan and Ohio State lost one of its central players in Urban Meyer but figures to remain as meaningful a regular-season game to be found across the Bowl Subdivision. As of the summer, the finale promises to be a winner-take-all matchup with seismic postseason implications.

That’s if Michigan State doesn’t upset expectations with its every-odd-year rise into New Year’s Six bowl contention. (The Spartans are 46-8 in odd years and 39-25 in even years this decade.) Parity reigns in the West, where every team but Illinois can make a realistic preseason claim for a shot at the conference title.

(Each team is followed by projected regular-season record. Number in parenthesis represents the team’s place in USA TODAY Sports’ summer rankings of the Bowl Subdivision.)

1. Michigan: 11-1 (No. 4)

Here are the ingredients for a Big Ten championship and College Football Playoff berth: Michigan has a senior quarterback, an updated offense, a motivated and talented defense and games at home against Notre Dame, Michigan State and Ohio State. Now it is up to the Wolverines to go out and win their first Big Ten title since 2004.

2. Ohio State: 10-2 (No. 7)

Picking the Buckeyes to finish second in the East seems strange, not to mention potentially inaccurate, but Michigan’s offseason improvements, the unknown commodity of new head coach Ryan Day and no clear answer at quarterback knocks OSU down one peg. That said, there's plenty of talent make the season finale unforgettable.

LOOKING AHEAD: Outlooks for the Top 25 teams in the preseason poll

BIG DECISIONS: The 10 biggest quarterback competitions in college football

POWER RANKING: Clemson has no competition for No. 1 in the ACC

3. Michigan State: 9-3 (No. 19)

The defense seems vintage, quarterback Brian Lewerke is set for a rebound season after being plagued by injury and the offensive line has the bones of a fantastic group. But getting both the Wolverines and Buckeyes on the road is a concern for the Spartans.

4. Iowa: 8-4 (No. 21)

Senior quarterback Nate Stanley, an experienced crop of running backs and a strong defensive back seven outweigh the daunting hole at tight end and the need for multiple defensive linemen to step up and join likely All-America pick A.J. Epenesa.

|| Read the Register's Big Ten predictions here ||

5. Nebraska: 9-3 (No. 23)

This is a program back on the rise with a quarterback, Adrian Martinez, set to begin an inevitable charge toward prime Heisman Trophy consideration. Pegging the Cornhuskers to leap from back-to-back four-win seasons into New Year’s Six contention seems premature — even if coach Scott Frost has done it before.

6. Penn State: 8-4 (No. 28)

There simply aren’t enough wins in the East to go around for Penn State, which has the talent and coaching to stick in the Top 25 but is not as solidly constructed as the division’s top three. A lot will depend on how sophomore quarterback Sean Clifford handles his role as the starter after Trace McSorley's departure.

7. Wisconsin: 8-4 (No. 34)

The presence of All-America running back Jonathan Taylor should keep the running game humming even as the team retools on the offensive line. That will be enough to keep the Badgers in contention despite a very difficult conference schedule and the increasing likelihood that Paul Chryst goes with a true freshman at quarterback.

8. Minnesota: 8-4 (No. 36)

With 16 returning starters and realistic hopes for carrying over last year’s midseason improvement on defense, the Golden Gophers must be taken seriously as an option to win the West. An injury to Zack Annexstad puts he quarterback job in the hands of Tanner Morgan with no experience behind him.

9. Northwestern: 6-6 (No. 50)

Pat Fitzgerald’s team draws Stanford in the opener, gets Ohio State and Michigan State from the East and plays Wisconsin and Nebraska on the road, leaving little room for error as the Wildcats aim to once again exceed preseason expectations after reaching the conference title game in 2018.

10. Purdue: 6-6 (No. 72)

Wide receiver Rondale Moore is worth the price of admission but the sophomore can’t do it alone, as an underclassmen-heavy roster and concerns on defense should have the Boilermakers scratching and clawing to claim bowl eligibility. If quarterback Elijah Sindelar can stay healthy, the offense looks to be good enough to get the job done.

11. Indiana: 6-6 (No. 83)

Indiana will struggle against the league’s elite, as expected, but the Hoosiers’ increased depth nearly across the board, very solid offensive backfield and options at quarterback will lead to a return to bowl play after a two-year absence.

12. Maryland: 4-8 (No. 102)

New coach Mike Locksley’s recruiting prowess is already paying dividends and will eventually lead Maryland to bolster its depth chart. Unfortunately, it won’t help the Terrapins navigate a bruising 2019 schedule while adapting to new offensive and defensive schemes.

13. Illinois: 3-9 (No. 111)

If you squint and look closely you might be able to identify Illinois’ general plan under Lovie Smith — to win a few recruiting battles at skill positions and then load up on top-rated transfers — but even last season’s subtle improvement did little to alter the perception that the Illini are a sinking ship.

14. Rutgers: 2-10 (No. 116)

Outside of unreasonable optimism, there’s no rationale for budging the Scarlet Knights out of a place at or near the bottom of the Big Ten, let alone the entire Power Five.

Iowa will finish 5th in the B1G West?

Check this story out:

6 teams can win the Big Ten West (sorry, Illinois). Here are reasons to believe in each of them — and reasons to doubt.

By TEDDY GREENSTEIN
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
AUG 20, 2019 | 11:20 AM
LINK: https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0190820-zy6nn2lv4vcwxhjsj6qgwcmzae-story.html

Northwestern was such an out-of-nowhere Big Ten West champion last year, I’m still not sure it happened. Duke and Akron might feel the same.

But the Wildcats defense was that good down the stretch, freshman running back Isaiah Bowser became a beast and Northwestern committed only 40 penalties all season. Beyond that, I have no explanation.

So what’s in store in 2019?

Northwestern locked up the West with two games to play. No way that happens this year.

The division will be tighter than the lid on a pickle jar. Six teams can win it. (Sorry, Illinois fans. You still have men’s golf. And maybe basketball.)

Here’s a breakdown of the six contenders, listed in order of their chances to win the Big Ten West according to MyBookie.ag (+275 means you would have to wager $100 to win $275).

1. Nebraska
Odds: +275.

Reasons to pick: Remember what Scott Frost did in Year 2 at UCF? Undefeated. And Frost has a spectacular quarterback in sophomore Adrian Martinez, whom he praised as “fearless” after Martinez shredded Iowa’s strong defense — on the road — in the Cornhuskers’ finale. Nebraska attracted several promising transfers, starting with running back Dedrick Mills. And cornerback Dicaprio Bootle has the game to match his legendary name.

Reasons to punt: The offensive line lacks depth, and you can’t call the beleaguered defense “Blackshirts” yet — though the unis are getting darker.

2. Wisconsin
Odds: +350.

Reasons to pick: Jonathan Taylor is primed to crank out another 2,000-yard rushing season. Receiver Quintez Cephus is expected back after a jury acquitted him of sexual assault charges. The Badgers have several fine options at quarterback, starting with veteran Jack Coan. True freshman Graham Mertz has gotten the buzz, but don’t snooze on redshirt freshman Chase Wolf. The offensive line is, well, the Wisconsin offensive line; five-star recruit Logan Brown might get redshirted.

Reasons to punt: The crossover schedule is downright sinister, with the Badgers facing Michigan and Michigan State at home and Ohio State at the ’Shoe. Wisconsin is thin at outside linebacker, and a QB controversy could be detrimental.

3. Purdue
Odds: +375.

Reasons to pick: Rondale Moore produces more electricity than one of those wind turbines near West Lafayette. Coach Jeff Brohm can outscheme some of the game’s sharpest defensive minds. Quarterback Elijah Sindelar, who turned 23 in June, has seen it all. The crossovers are manageable: Penn State on the road, Maryland and Indiana … or would Purdue relish another date with Ohio State?

Reasons to punt: The Boilermakers are not particularly strong on either line. This is an extremely young team that’s well short of the 85-scholarship limit. A thin backfield became emaciated after veteran running back Tario Fuller suffered a fractured jaw.

4. Minnesota
Odds: +450.

Reasons to pick: The Gophers finished 2018 with a flurry, outscoring Wisconsin and Georgia Tech 71-25. The receivers are terrific, led by veteran Tyler Johnson. Tailback Mohamed Ibrahim was lethal down the stretch. The offensive line is gargantuan, starting with 400-pound Australian Daniel Faalele. The crossovers are kind: Rutgers (road), Maryland and Penn State.

Reasons to punt: Starting quarterback Zack Annexstad went down with a foot injury two weeks ago and might miss the season. On the plus side, Tanner Morgan is 4-2 as a starter. This is a young team that, for what it’s worth, gave up 55 points to Illinois last season.

5. Iowa
Odds: +475.

Reasons to pick: Nine starters return on each side. Nate Stanley might be the conference’s best pocket passer. A.J. Epenesa is a QB-seeking missile and a huge part of a potentially great defense. The Hawkeyes are due to win some close games.

Reasons to punt: Stanley’s a fine quarterback, but here’s a reality check: He completed a modest 59.3 percent last season despite having two All-America tight ends taken in the first round of the NFL draft. All-Big Ten safety Amani Hooker also is gone. The rushing attack could falter again, and the Hawkeyes face two tough crossover games at Michigan and at home against Penn State.

6. Northwestern
Odds: +550.

Reasons to pick: The defense should be strong, especially in the secondary. Linebacker Paddy Fisher and end Joe Gaziano are among the best in the conference. Bowser and Drake Anderson could be a thunder-and-lightning combo in the backfield. Barring more crazy injuries, the punter won’t have to double as the place-kicker. And in case you haven’t heard, these guys know how to win. They’re 15-1 in their last 16 regular-season Big Ten games.

Reasons to punt: The Wildcats leave themselves susceptible to heartbreak by always playing close games. Clayton Thorson is gone, leaving a potential QB quandary. Will Hunter Johnson beat out TJ Green? Don’t assume.

7. Illinois

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT