ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West Thoughts

I guess we'll see how they do this year with a tough schedule - MI, MI St, Wisc, IA and Notre Dame. If they go 3 and 2 then I'll be ready to proclaim Fitz as the best coach in the B10.
well then you're a little "higher" than I am on Fitz....
even if Northwestern wins all 5 of those games... it won't guarantee a West Division Title... let alone the idea of being the "best" coach in the B10...

imo, Kirk Ferentz is the best coach in the Big Ten... and its not even close.

Wisky will be good
Minny - average
Neb- Starting to get better- would love to have Morgan on the Hawks team
Purdue- Good coaching, a lot better team, still inconsistent. We got one of their best games last year
NW- good team but QB concerns
Ill- Bad

Think the west is there for the taking.
Concerning Purdue - their D definitely had a great game against us. However, overall, I don't think that Purdue was particularly impressive. You have to remember that Iowa special teams seriously shat their collective pants in that one.
  • running into the kicker (or roughing the kicker) penalty on their first drive ... not only prevented our O from getting on the field ... but it nullified an outstanding defensive series. Ultimately it led to PU points.
  • poor punting throughout the game - giving them better field position and hurting our own
  • muffed return by Vandenberg deep in our territory (luckily only led to a FG - but effectively put the game out of reach for the Hawks)
Sindelair hit on a few big-plays to Mahoungou. That was a reflection of good communication between the QB, WR, and the OC (and possibly Brohm too). Of course, it was also a reflection of a blown assignment by our DBs too - because even if our CB got beat ... usually we have a S back in help. Thus, that suggests to me that both the CB and S needed to get chewed out a little bit on that one. Of course, once Phil moved Jackson to match-up on Mahoungou - then PU's match-up advantage was then nullified.

Urban Meyer is currently the best coach in the Big Ten.

The previous two NW coaches both won a Big Ten title in less time than Fitzgerald has been there, so spare me on his greatness.

The one thing I disagree with is Fitz is the best in the west. Brohm takes the cake in my book. Rankings wise this year, it seems like Wisconsins to lose, the schedule next year is a lot easier for us to make some sort of run at a divison title.

Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
NW
Purdue
Illinois
I love how everyone wants to give Brohm the prize after ONE season! Lets let the guy coach through a recruiting cycle, injuries, defections and the ups and downs of four or five years, and then we'll have a better picture, if he's even still at Purdue. Its amazing the crap people put out there......:rolleyes:
The one thing I disagree with is Fitz is the best in the west. Brohm takes the cake in my book. Rankings wise this year, it seems like Wisconsins to lose, the schedule next year is a lot easier for us to make some sort of run at a divison title.

Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
NW
Purdue
Illinois[/QU

Reactions: rchawk
Urban Meyer is currently the best coach in the Big Ten.

The previous two NW coaches both won a Big Ten title in less time than Fitzgerald has been there, so spare me on his greatness.

I do not consider Urban Meyer to be a good coach. The Buckeyes have an insane amount of talent and have 6-10 players drafted every year. With that talent they should be winning the Big Ten every year and playing for National Championships.

Furthermore its OSU - how hard can recruiting be?

I do not consider Urban Meyer to be a good coach.

177-31 record as a head coach, including stints at powerhouses Bowling Green and Utah.

3 national championships

6 conference championships, including Utah's first outright conference title since 1957.

First coach to make a BCS bowl from a non BCS conference.

The man has won a lot wherever he has been. Terrible human being, but delivers outstanding results every time.

I love how everyone wants to give Brohm the prize after ONE season! Lets let the guy coach through a recruiting cycle, injuries, defections and the ups and downs of four or five years, and then we'll have a better picture, if he's even still at Purdue. Its amazing the crap people put out there......:rolleyes:
FINALLLY!!!! Someone that isn't riding the Brohm hype train. It's baffling the credit he gets after one 7-5 season. It's insane that people will pick him the best coach after one year but give Harbaugh a tough time after two 10-2 seasons and a 8-4 season.

Reactions: rchawk
I do not consider Urban Meyer to be a good coach. The Buckeyes have an insane amount of talent and have 6-10 players drafted every year. With that talent they should be winning the Big Ten every year and playing for National Championships.

Furthermore its OSU - how hard can recruiting be?
Considering all the 4* in state "fallback" recruits he has waiting in line every year, I'd say not too difficult ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT