ADVERTISEMENT

B1Gs Session 1 Thread

This sums up the Iowa fans who took the time to drive to Minneapolis, fight a winter storm, pay a few hundred bucks on hotel rooms, a few hundred on tickets/concessions and a few hundred on food/lots of alcohol:

Aw, poor fans. And can't even go home early like MD fans.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I understand what your saying... Pentaleo is much better than his seed I think he is #2 to Nolf this year. But I get where your coming from its just where we are right now.

Can anyone tell me who the last 141lb was for Iowa who got on the podium at nationals.

The top point-getters in double digits.....

Devin Skatzka (Minnesota) 11
Joey McKenna (Ohio State) 11
Micah Jordan (Ohio State) 11
Tyler Venz (Nebraska) 11
Chad Red (Nebraska) 10
Evan Wick (Wisconsin) 10
Jason Nolf (Penn State) 10
Mark Hall (Penn State) 10
Nick Suriano (Rutgers) 10
Sean Russell (Minnesota) 10
Shakur Rasheed (Penn State) 10
Spencer Lee (Iowa) 10

60-70% of the starters lack elite offensive skills. It’s been this way for several years. Not sure why we are always surprised.

With that said, these kids sacrifice a lot to wrestle in college and give it their all. We should keep that in mind as well.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reactions: Ruinous
Honestly, it was a disappointing round, and we should not be happy with only 4 in the semis. But, Lugo was the only one who's gotten upset so far based on seeds, and he has a good path on the backside. I'm not quite ready to pull the plug on the team.

Now, if we have a bad consi round tonight, my mood will be markedly different

For those of you complaining, you do realize that the ONLY one who was supposed to win and didn't was Lugo and even he was no more than a very slight favorite. It's not like Iowa was losing in major upset fashion or to bums.....

Murin wrestled hard against a tough AA in Lee. I actually liked his effort and Lee is just flat out better.

Lugo's height/length disadvantage can be glaring at times. He hand fights extremely well but can't close the distance to get to his attacks if his opponents keep their hips back. Berge did that very well and Lugo made a dumb attempt late in SV2.

Young lost a close match to a 2x AA in Pantaleo. Pantaleo is really good.

Bowman is a backup.........

WIlcke lost a close match to the returning 3rd place finisher at 184. Parker is good!

Stoll was wrestling a phenom and just can't move well enough to defend if his feet are taken out from under him.

It's like many of you just don't know wrestling and automatically expect guys to win because they are from Iowa. I would get it if they were getting destroyed, but losing close matches to AA's is NOT some sign that the walls are caving in........

Max was just out matched but he was more offensive.

Those Lugo and Wilcke matches tho... Real tough to watch. Big day on the backside for the boys.
Ya Lugo wtf? He surprised me...

Wilke is wilke..better get some offense...from where Idk...went to Lincoln watched, Wilke had a good match there...better get hot!!!

For those of you complaining, you do realize that the ONLY one who was supposed to win and didn't was Lugo and even he was no more than a very slight favorite. It's not like Iowa was losing in major upset fashion or to bums.....

Murin wrestled hard against a tough AA in Lee. I actually liked his effort and Lee is just flat out better.

Lugo's height/length disadvantage can be glaring at times. He hand fights extremely well but can't close the distance to get to his attacks if his opponents keep their hips back. Berge did that very well and Lugo made a dumb attempt late in SV2.

WIlcke lost a close match to the returning 3rd place finisher at 184. Parker is good!

Stoll was wrestling a phenom and just can't move well enough to defend if his feet are taken out from under him.

It's like many of you just don't know wrestling and automatically expect guys to win because they are from Iowa. I would get it if they were getting destroyed, but losing close matches to AA's is NOT some sign that the walls are caving in........

Your Bowman and Wilcke comments are BS. Bowman went 2-2 at nationals at a bigger weight, we have every right to be critical of him.

Wilcke needs to finish that takedown, idc who he is up against. It has to be finished.

Reactions: 24 so far
Your Bowman and Wilcke comments are BS. Bowman went 2-2 at nationals at a bigger weight, we have every right to be critical of him.

Wilcke needs to finish that takedown, idc who he is up against. It has to be finished.

Bowman has really struggled at 74. That cut might be taking everything out of him, he's still sloppy as ever but he had more energy at 84.

I give him credit for making the cut to help the team and give himself a chance but there isn't much left in that tank me thinks.

60-70% of the starters lack elite offensive skills. It’s been this way for several years. Not sure why we are always surprised.

With that said, these kids sacrifice a lot to wrestle in college and give it their all. We should keep that in mind as well.
The guys that bug me the most are Wilcke and Lugo. Wilcke can score on a variety of shots he has a single leg, fireman's, double, ankle pick, misdirection etc. He does a good job getting up from the bottom and puts in a solid ride, albeit with not much ability to turn. Which is to say that Wilcke has an All American tool kit. I understand that he doesn't have title contender ability but he should absolutely be on the podium.

The 1st period of the first match Lugo looked fantastic. Them he snatched a decision victory from what should have been a pin or at the very least a major. And after that he seemed to be sapped of any confidence.

Murin, Stoll, and Young I'm less frustrated with. I think Murin and Stoll competed. But if you're being honest I think they were all outmatched.

Bowman was 14-13 last year and his two opponents that he beat went 1-4 at NCAA's. Let's not act like he is a top 20 guy sucked down a weight.

Your Wilcke comment can be true of ANYONE and EVERYONE. But, the reality is, good wrestlers stop deep attacks ALL the time. The fact Wilcke almost beat him was actually a good sign. Parker was my favorite before the season to make the NCAA Finals and he still is....

Regardless if the opponent is tough or better, we are losing. 4 guys in semis, 5th place thus far

Reactions: 24 so far
Bowman has really struggled at 74. That cut might be taking everything out of him, he's still sloppy as ever but he had more energy at 84.

I give him credit for making the cut to help the team and give himself a chance but there isn't much left in that tank me thinks.
But he just didn't wrestle smart. Giving up that escape at the end of the second is just a lack of awareness. Then the reversal to lose it. You gotta give up 1 not 2 at the end there.

I do appreciate his cut.

Reactions: rbh134 and TarpHawk
I feel so bad for Sam Stoll.. He can’t take a legitimate shot. His knees just won’t let him dip or twist in any way. The only way he can get a take down is with a bear hug and throw or a quick trip.. Give him 2 good knees and he wins this tournament.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT