ADVERTISEMENT

Badgers Playing LSU at Lambeau Field?

iowalaw

All-Conference
Jan 20, 2015
Scottsdale
I just heard these two are playing this Sept. Very cool idea. Wisconsin really does have the sports model we covet when it comes to being a perennial power in football and basketball without landing the super star recruits.

Would love if the Iowa administration would think outside the box a bit with football like they did with wrestling last yr. A game at Arrowhead against an SEC team or maybe the Vikings new stadium against Notre Dame. I know we did Soldier Field...but didn't we play Northern Illinois or someone like that there?

They open with LSU and then their first 6 conference games are against Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska and Northwestern. Wisconsin could be a pretty decent team with a very average record. I'd be shocked if they won the west with that schedule, unless they are truly an elite team.

I just heard these two are playing this Sept. Very cool idea. Wisconsin really does have the sports model we covet when it comes to being a perennial power in football and basketball without landing the super star recruits.

Would love if the Iowa administration would think outside the box a bit with football like they did with wrestling last yr. A game at Arrowhead against an SEC team or maybe the Vikings new stadium against Notre Dame. I know we did Soldier Field...but didn't we play Northern Illinois or someone like that there?

When LSU plays Wisconsin at Lambeau in Nov, then I'll be impressed. SEC will only play the B1G in hot weather.

Iowa would never consider playing a top 20 team at the start of the season...... never has, never will
Since when did you start following Nebraska? Iowa opened the season with the last nationally relevant Husker teams. Crouch won the starting job over Bobby Newcome in the second half of a game in Iowa City against an absolutely horrible Iowa team. Crouch trucked a Dback (Joe Slattery?) The Play was a microcosm of the two programs at the time.

They open with LSU and then their first 6 conference games are against Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska and Northwestern. Wisconsin could be a pretty decent team with a very average record. I'd be shocked if they won the west with that schedule, unless they are truly an elite team.

I say they come out of this 4-3. I do think the defense will take a step back a bit but the Bagders always seem to find a way but that is a brutal schedule.

Mark, I believe that was an Eddie Robinson Classic game?

Yeah, maybe, but I was there. There was k state (but not Iowa) signage/official banners, and the PA announcer was openingly k state ("that's another wildcat first down!").

Was not a neutral site game.

Iowa would never consider playing a top 20 team at the start of the season...... never has, never will

Come on we got ISU every year, that's a BIG game and we can't be focused on other BCS programs (sarcasm by the way).

I would love for Iowa to do a neutral site game vs another top team. I would give up 2 home games to go see that. I have a hard time getting rid of our "non-conferece" tickets outside ISU when they play in IC and sometimes if Iowa has a night game. Otherwise all the other tickets go to waste and seriously I hate having to pay 50-60 dollars to watch UNI, Ill State, NDSU, and other Div 1aa teams. Iowa has to go out and start scheduling better in the non-conf..

I love neutral site games. Generates a ton of hype for both teams. I was in a talk with a couple guys last year about this topic as well. It wouldn't be out of conference, but I'd love to see the Iowa-Nebraska game move to Arrowhead. Tons of alum from both schools, and the opportunity to turn it into a real event in a larger city. Both cities about 4 hours away.

Anyway-I'd love to see schools like Iowa and Nebraska do this with SEC teams. Do you think they'd pull the trigger though with how much money both teams currently make for home games? That is a lot to give up.

Miami Colorado Nebraska Tennessee were early games with powerhouse teams in HF era. KF hasn't scheduled the big boys unless you drop down to 1AA and include UNI and now this year with NDST

Reactions: bdg8
I love neutral site games. Generates a ton of hype for both teams. I was in a talk with a couple guys last year about this topic as well. It wouldn't be out of conference, but I'd love to see the Iowa-Nebraska game move to Arrowhead. Tons of alum from both schools, and the opportunity to turn it into a real event in a larger city. Both cities about 4 hours away.

Anyway-I'd love to see schools like Iowa and Nebraska do this with SEC teams. Do you think they'd pull the trigger though with how much money both teams currently make for home games? That is a lot to give up.
I don't know if you know anything about college football, but it is about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and about $$$$$$$$$, and about winning, and then it is about $$$$$. Going to Kansas City:
  • have to pay Arrowhead Stadium to play there
  • lose concession stand revenue
  • have to pay for transportation and hotels
  • lose all of the workers wages from no home game
  • Iowa City hotels lose possible revenue
  • Iowa City restaurants lose revenue
  • Hard to bring in recruits when you are on the road
  • Did I tell you it is all about the almighty $$$

I don't know if you know anything about college football, but it is about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and about $$$$$$$$$, and about winning, and then it is about $$$$$. Going to Kansas City:
This I still don't understand how some Iowa fans can't grasp the idea with the schedule. Big 10 now 9 conference games. Years we have ISU at home we have 2 other non conf at home plus 4 conference games. Years we have 5 conference games have 2 games at home and ISU on the road. Unfortunately Iowa is only big 10 school with an out of conference rival they play ever year. So leaves you with 2 options do you schedule another power 5 and have 6 games or keep situation with ISU as is and play 7 games at Kinnick every year. Our AD is going with the option of 7 home games and all the extra $$$ it brings the athletic department and community. No matter how much people complain as long as ISU plays Iowa it isn't changing and I wouldn't hold my breath with the Cy-Hawk series going away anytime soon.

Reactions: WC_'sker
This I still don't understand how some Iowa fans can't grasp the idea with the schedule. Big 10 now 9 conference games. Years we have ISU at home we have 2 other non conf at home plus 4 conference games. Years we have 5 conference games have 2 games at home and ISU on the road. Unfortunately Iowa is only big 10 school with an out of conference rival they play ever year. So leaves you with 2 options do you schedule another power 5 and have 6 games or keep situation with ISU as is and play 7 games at Kinnick every year. Our AD is going with the option of 7 home games and all the extra $$$ it brings the athletic department and community. No matter how much people complain as long as ISU plays Iowa it isn't changing and I wouldn't hold my breath with the Cy-Hawk series going away anytime soon.
Well, when most the league has another in state rival already IN the b1g OR simply doesn't have one to play.....what do you expect?
Personally I have zero problem with the isu series and hope it continues. That said, there is not reason we can't play to non conf power 5 teams.
I can't speak to the money(and honestly don't care :) ) but I can say... they can get much more money for tix to a GOOD game vs playing some no name team. That won't sell more food or hotels/etc for other businesses but they may be able to get more money during those games as well..??

Time for Barta to earn his paycheck and start thinking more creatively about moving the program forward. Times are changing but I get the feeling Iowa's administration--and its football coach--are still Old School and extremely wary of change. Note that ISU has partnered with Michigan/Harbaugh on a satellite camp in Texas. That's an eye opener. While satellite camps could end up being banned by the NCAA, it's the kind of thing that aggressive programs pursue as they seek to gain an edge. Unless and until these camps are banned, maybe Iowa ought to jump on board. Wisconsin is doing it via crafty scheduling. What is Iowa doing besides the same old thing? Maybe it's time to rethink the CyHawk, especially if scheduling the Clones prohibits the Hawkeyes from scheduling a more intriguing opponent (and I realize that scheduling name opponents at Iowa is not an easy thing to do but that's why these guys get paid the big bucks). Iowa-ISU is NEVER going to move the needle. Why be beholden to it, at least on an annual basis?

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Time for Barta to earn his paycheck and start thinking more creatively about moving the program forward. Times are changing but I get the feeling Iowa's administration--and its football coach--are still Old School and extremely wary of change. Note that ISU has partnered with Michigan/Harbaugh on a satellite camp in Texas. That's an eye opener. While satellite camps could end up being banned by the NCAA, it's the kind of thing that aggressive programs pursue as they seek to gain an edge. Unless and until these camps are banned, maybe Iowa ought to jump on board. Wisconsin is doing it via crafty scheduling. What is Iowa doing besides the same old thing? Maybe it's time to rethink the CyHawk, especially if scheduling the Clones prohibits the Hawkeyes from scheduling a more intriguing opponent (and I realize that scheduling name opponents at Iowa is not an easy thing to do but that's why these guys get paid the big bucks). Iowa-ISU is NEVER going to move the needle. Why be beholden to it, at least on an annual basis?
Iowa has done satellite camps. They have even done them all by themselves.

I get the $ part. And I would hope that sponsors would possibly take care of some of that cost. I like what @Kinnick4Ever said about "moving the needle," and I think and off site game would do that for both Iowa and Nebraska, even if it's against each other for The Heroes Game, though I would love to see it vs. another power conference. Lets face it, There are teams on the B1G West that haven't been able to fill 3/4 of their stadium for years, and aren't exactly turning on TV sets. (And I know NU dropped games to them last year, not a smack talk statement) That's horrible for Nebraska and Iowa. Kansas City has proven to be a city with a decent recruiting area, and it's a far easier city to travel to for recruits. Maybe have recruits travel to that game? I don't know. The Chick-Fil-A Kickoffs down here in Atlanta are always sold out, on TV, and create a huge event. Does Tuscaloosa and BAMA, Clemson, Virginia Tech etc. lose money for being a part of them? I have no idea. But it hasn't stopped them. So there should be some benefit.

Thread #115,487 of "how easy scheduling would be if I did it" in this board's history.

If you want Iowa to play at other big time teams' stadium, then by all means, email Barta. Cause that's all Iowa will get in a response...and why Iowa has not scheduled teams like this the last 20 years. They won;t do a true home and home, and there isn't enough money in a neutral against an Iowa (versus say a Wisconsin).

At the very best, all Barta can hope for is a home and home with relative equals...Syracuse, Pitt, Arizona/ASU/Oregon St/Wash State/Washington/Utah/Colorado, maybe a K-State/Kansas...

Ain't gonna be any traditional SEC teams (one non-con game in our entire history). Ain't gonna be any traditional ACC (a sprinkle of NC State and Miami FL in our history). Lower tier Pac12 and Big 12...maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

And those games are only going to be harder to get, cause they are in the same money game issues as Iowa is...and quite frankly it's probably worse for them than it is for Iowa cause they don't have the conference network revenue Iowa does. And it would be utterly stupid for Iowa to schedule say at an SEC team's house only because it only enriches their wallets and depletes ours.

Therefore, it ain't really every going to happen.

Props to LSU who is one of the very few SEC teams that aren't afraid to leave their momma's house.

Also big props to Wisconsin who never seems afraid of taking on the big boys to start the season. It seems to benefit them more then it hurts them as far as keeping their name out there nationally every year. They might not be a B1G elite but they act like it and therefore get that respect throughout the nation.

Props to LSU who is one of the very few SEC teams that aren't afraid to leave their momma's house.

Also big props to Wisconsin who never seems afraid of taking on the big boys to start the season. It seems to benefit them more then it hurts them as far as keeping their name out there nationally every year. They might not be a B1G elite but they act like it and therefore get that respect throughout the nation.
Auger, Wisconsin has one of the traditional worst noncon schedules you will find. They have played about 10 tough noncon games in the last 20 years.

Reactions: WC_'sker
Personally, I don't see this as a good thing. The Badgers will likely get rolled and sustain injuries at key positions. This game will end up making their already difficult schedule even more difficult.....

Auger, Wisconsin has one of the traditional worst noncon schedules you will find. They have played about 10 tough noncon games in the last 20 years.

That may have been true 10 -20 years ago but over the past 5 seasons Wisconsin has played LSU (now twice), Alabama, Arizona St (twice), Oregon St (twice), BYU and South Florida. You wont see a lot of teams with that kind of non-con in the past 5 years. It does look like however a lot of B1G teams including Wisconsin are stepping down a tier after this season and scheduling easier opponents to account for the extra B1G game.

Personally, I don't see this as a good thing. The Badgers will likely get rolled and sustain injuries at key positions. This game will end up making their already difficult schedule even more difficult.....
Sustain injuries at key positions? Where does that come from?

You MUST be too young or don't know Husker football history.

But Iowa opened the 1981 season at home against 7th ranked Nebraska.

That may have been true 10 -20 years ago but over the past 5 seasons Wisconsin has played LSU (now twice), Alabama, Arizona St (twice), Oregon St (twice), BYU and South Florida. You wont see a lot of teams with that kind of non-con in the past 5 years. It does look like however a lot of B1G teams including Wisconsin are stepping down a tier after this season and scheduling easier opponents to account for the extra B1G game.
In the past five years they have played a total of...5 power five teams, and that is more than normal for them. You added some extra games that must have been played more than five years ago?

[QUOTE="Auger, . It does look like however a lot of B1G teams including Wisconsin are stepping down a tier after this season and scheduling easier opponents to account for the extra B1G game.[/QUOTE]

Wont be an issue for Iowa we have been there awhile.

[QUOTE="Auger, . It does look like however a lot of B1G teams including Wisconsin are stepping down a tier after this season and scheduling easier opponents to account for the extra B1G game.

Wont be an issue for Iowa we have been there awhile.[/QUOTE]

Go through the last 10 years and find 5 B1G that play a tougher noncon.

Everybody wants Iowa to play a better noncon games, but relative to their peers, they more than hold their own. If Iowa wants to be in line with the rest of the power 5 world, then they do need to change their noncon schedule...and soften it up a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT