ADVERTISEMENT

Baer necessities- Singing his praises

Libradawg

Scout Team
Apr 14, 2017
Pop quiz: If the end stats from 2020 were suddenly available, whose numbers would you choose to see first? Make a top 5. Now answer me this: where did you rank Baer?

You chose to see Bohannon, Cook, Garza and maybe even Nunge and Connor before Baer. Which is EXACTLY why we're getting no respect. Media isn't watching him either. We have a guy whose floor is 12-6 and routinely compare to past great Ryan Bowen but we're still overlooking him?

I always say the most impressive aspect of Baer is his Senior leadership. And I always get away with it without being corrected except for places like right here. Places like here should know he's our glue, how startlingly close his trajectory mimics Ryan Bowen's. They have a term for your biggest leader who is the most likely to enter stardom, it's called MVP.

That's hardly groundbreaking information. Yet people are still lobbying for a bench role FFS. Even worse, if Nunge continues to flourish that'll only increase in volume. Just no! Seriously? And please no nonsense about *mindset off the bench*. The only way psychology plays into this is how insane we'd be to let him sit while opposing starters open up on our youngsters.

Again, Baer's most notable attribute is improvement, no question. With all the upside surrounding Cook Garza and Nunge I'm genuinely concerned people forgot about the one guy to unequivocally prove he has another tier to reach.

Speaking of experience, Garza's quick emergence cost us minutes from Wagner, Moss' ability to not be useless cost us minutes from Ellingson, Uhl's emergence as Uhl cost us minutes from Uhl. They won't be out there late in close games. Baer is the only one who has played meaningful minutes who will be out there playing the meaningful minutes. Without him it's either a freshman or a paperweight.

This is our MVP, fellas. His floor is 12-5 with a bunch of steals and blocks. His ceiling is Bowen. Reasonable projection 14-7. With a bunch of steals and blocks, lol. We lost tonight because we didn't have him in the lineup. He's a walking 4-point swing. And he knows what it's like to have MSU on the ropes and finish them off.

We miss you Nic, hurry back. We're picked to miss the tournament en route to an 8th place finish because people overlook you. We lost to ULL without you. We get it now.

No one has forgotten about Baer but what you are not considering is he will play the 3/wing and that means he will be taking Nunge off the floor in most cases who is one of the best 5 payers. That's a stalemate to some degree.

Baer does his best defensive work as a help defender off the ball not on it. He also lacks lateral quickness to be an effective on the ball defender. Good wing players go right right around him too on the perimeter.

It will help to have him back but only so much as where we need the help is in the backcourt and that needs to be players with lateral quickness and play creation ability too. Baer was a part of the horrific defense last year too despite his good numbers and value.

We all love him too but I'd suggest tapping the brakes some. The energy he brings will be good to have for sure.

Baer provides great energy off the bench. I doubt he's anywhere near 14-7 a night, though. And that's perfectly fine.

Baer provides great energy off the bench. I doubt he's anywhere near 14-7 a night, though. And that's perfectly fine.

I’ll take that bet. I believe he will be 14/7 and add a couple of blocks and steals. Loose balls - he gets more than whole teams do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT