ADVERTISEMENT

Small ball

nelly02

HR MVP
Mar 5, 2002
Glad we got the W. Clutch free throws down the stretch for Patrick love to see it.

Having said that I'm tired of Fran's insistence on going big. Krikke should be playing a lot less minutes he brings nothing if he doesn't score and it's obvious at this point he feasted on the non conference schedule and can't compete at the big ten level at the same pace. Harding and Bowen need to be playing a ton more in his place and while as I said earlier I'm glad Patrick stepped up his minutes need to be reduced as well. Harding played what 3 possessions tonight and the 1 offensive possession he had directly led to a freeman dunk. And his defense is a plus unlike krikke. Bowen looked solid as well in his limited time. Fran needs to go away from his tendency to go big and realize the strength in this team is going small. The main lineup should be harding, Perkins, dix, Payton, and freeman with bowen and dembele getting the majority of the sub minutes and Patrick and krikke getting spot minutes when it's necessary to go big.

Just one idiot fan opinion take it as you will.

Glad we got the W. Clutch free throws down the stretch for Patrick love to see it.

Having said that I'm tired of Fran's insistence on going big. Krikke should be playing a lot less minutes he brings nothing if he doesn't score and it's obvious at this point he feasted on the non conference schedule and can't compete at the big ten level at the same pace. Harding and Bowen need to be playing a ton more in his place and while as I said earlier I'm glad Patrick stepped up his minutes need to be reduced as well. Harding played what 3 possessions tonight and the 1 offensive possession he had directly led to a freeman dunk. And his defense is a plus unlike krikke. Bowen looked solid as well in his limited time. Fran needs to go away from his tendency to go big and realize the strength in this team is going small. The main lineup should be harding, Perkins, dix, Payton, and freeman with bowen and dembele getting the majority of the sub minutes and Patrick and krikke getting spot minutes when it's necessary to go big.

Just one idiot fan opinion take it as you will.
I wouldn’t go that far, but I do think we’d be better off playing more 3 guard lineups. Perkins and Dix give us that luxury with their size.

At one point Fran had one guard out there with Pryce playing the 2. WTF. And anytime he has Krikke playing without either Freeman or Dembele is just defensive malpractice. Krikke cannot defend the 5.

I wouldn’t go that far, but I do think we’d be better off playing more 3 guard lineups. Perkins and Dix give us that luxury with their size.

At one point Fran had one guard out there with Pryce playing the 2. WTF. And anytime he has Krikke playing without either Freeman or Dembele is just defensive malpractice. Krikke cannot defend the 5.

I’m not nearly as negative as you on Krikke and I believe his threat for spacing alone, and he actually still makes some big plays, is still valuable on the floor…

With that said, you said he can’t guard the five…😳hell who can he guard😂 A fireplace 🤷‍♂️

I have no complaints with Freeman, Perk, Payton, or Krikke's minutes. The rest of the crew I could argue about.

I’m not nearly as negative as you on Krikke and I believe his threat for spacing alone, and he actually still makes some big plays, is still valuable on the floor…

With that said, you said he can’t guard the five…😳hell who can he guard😂 A fireplace 🤷‍♂️
He hasn't scored more than 10 the last 5 games. Besides the Minnesota game he hasn't been a threat offensively in big ten play for the most part. And as we all seem to agree he's AWFUL defensively. If he isn't scoring he needs to sit for dembele even just for the experience not even factoring in the defensive advantage dembele brings. And like I said I'm bullish on the smaller guys. I don't understand after how well Harding did against Indiana he barely even played tonight and when he did he made a positive impact. And I've felt for awhile Fran needs to get Bowen more minutes and I felt he did a good job in his time in the first half.

At one point Fran had one guard out there with Pryce playing the 2. WTF. And anytime he has Krikke playing without either Freeman or Dembele is just defensive malpractice. Krikke cannot defend.
FIFY

Reactions: nelly02
He hasn't scored more than 10 the last 5 games. Besides the Minnesota game he hasn't been a threat offensively in big ten play for the most part. And as we all seem to agree he's AWFUL defensively. If he isn't scoring he needs to sit for dembele even just for the experience not even factoring in the defensive advantage dembele brings. And like I said I'm bullish on the smaller guys. I don't understand after how well Harding did against Indiana he barely even played tonight and when he did he made a positive impact. And I've felt for awhile Fran needs to get Bowen more minutes and I felt he did a good job in his time in the first half.
Hmmm. He's averaging 12.9 ppg in Big Ten play which is 3rd on the team. I like Dembele, but right now he isn't the player he will be as a junior or senior, He's a turnover waiting to happen, He's a foul waiting to happen. He's a bad decision on offense waiting to happen and while he can rebound, he has lost so many rebounds because he doesn't yet have the hand strength to hold onto contested rebounds. He's also award as hell at times.

Hmmm. He's averaging 12.9 ppg in Big Ten play which is 3rd on the team. I like Dembele, but right now he isn't the player he will be as a junior or senior, He's a turnover waiting to happen, He's a foul waiting to happen. He's a bad decision on offense waiting to happen and while he can rebound, he has lost so many rebounds because he doesn't yet have the hand strength to hold onto contested rebounds. He's also award as hell at times.
I don’t think anyone was arguing against the assertion his strength normally is scoring. Personally, I think he plays too many minutes, especially when he is not an effective scorer like in the past few games. His defense is horrid and while he is 3rd in rebounding, it is skewed given all his minutes. I think he is a good player overall, fairly crafty but against big athletic teams, he tends to struggle. I think he could donate a few minutes.

Dembele is still quite raw but was a better defensive and rebounding option than Krikke, especially when Dix, Saucy and Payton were hot - meaning we needed Krikkes scoring less. I don’t disagree that he is still a WIP, but if we can continue to develop him he does have great upside. Maybe a few more minutes.

Personally, Pryce should not see the floor. Needs to add muscle and cannot guard anyone.

PMac had a pretty good game, but generally plays too many minutes.

Bowen was okay, but fee like we need his quickness and ball handling. Fran is certainly not fueling his confidence.

Krikke is in a slump. There is no way to know when the light may come back on.

He averaged 21.0 pts against Creighton, Seton Hall, Michigan (at home), and Rutgers. Then scored 25 just 3 weeks ago v Minny. I don't think you can simply bench a guy with that kind of firepower.

Perk, Sandfort and Dix are hot right now - they need to be in there a lot, and one of them should be on the floor at all times.

Reactions: Ronman
Krikke is in a slump. There is no way to know when the light may come back on.

He averaged 21.0 pts against Creighton, Seton Hall, Michigan (at home), and Rutgers. Then scored 25 just 3 weeks ago v Minny. I don't think you can simply bench a guy with that kind of firepower.

Perk, Sandfort and Dix are hot right now - they need to be in there a lot, and one of them should be on the floor at all times.
Who said to “bench” him? Jeesh, I for one said something to the effect that maybe he could donate “a few” minutes per game. He played 32 minutes last night, just too many IMO. Maybe 25-26 per game? That should be more than plenty to work thru the slump.

Who said to “bench” him? Jeesh, I for one said something to the effect that maybe he could donate “a few” minutes per game. He played 32 minutes last night, just too many IMO. Maybe 25-26 per game? That should be more than plenty to work thru the slump.
Yeah, I think Krikke’s minutes outstrip his production in most games. He’s second in MPG behind Perkins, and out of 22 games he’s played 30+ minutes in 12 of them and 25+ minutes in 17. The only games he didn’t get at least 25 minutes look to be because of foul trouble or the opponent was a cupcake.

Krikke is obviously the best offensive big man Iowa has, but he’s also the worst defender and rebounder, too. It seems like there is plenty of room for compromise between his playing time and that of the other bigs plus Payton.

He's also not rebounding worth a damn. He has to rebound, he had 2 last nite

• Sad
Reactions: BirdistheWord
I just wish Krikke had 1 more year with us and the reason I wasn't sure why Fran brought him in. I consider him in the same class as Filip Rebraca. Rebraca needed that first year to really "figure out how to play / defend in the B1G". He was solid in every way in his 2nd year. I think Krikke would be ready to do the same... but he doesn't get that 2nd year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT