• Total voters

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 81% believe in God, down from 87% in 2017
  • New low in Gallup's trend
  • Four in 10 believe God can intervene on people's behalf

The vast majority of U.S. adults believe in God, but the 81% who do so is down six percentage points from 2017 and is the lowest in Gallup's trend. Between 1944 and 2011, more than 90% of Americans believed in God.

Gallup's May 2-22 Values and Beliefs poll finds 17% of Americans saying they do not believe in God.

Gallup first asked this question in 1944, repeating it again in 1947 and twice each in the 1950s and 1960s. In those latter four surveys, a consistent 98% said they believed in God. When Gallup asked the question nearly five decades later, in 2011, 92% of Americans said they believed in God.
Click to shrink...

Belief in God has fallen the most in recent years among young adults and people on the left of the political spectrum (liberals and Democrats). These groups show drops of 10 or more percentage points comparing the 2022 figures to an average of the 2013-2017 polls.

The groups with the largest declines are also the groups that are currently least likely to believe in God, including liberals (62%), young adults (68%) and Democrats (72%). Belief in God is highest among political conservatives (94%) and Republicans (92%), reflecting that religiosity is a major determinant of political divisions in the U.S.
Click to shrink...

Fewer Americans today than five years ago believe in God, and the percentage is down even more from the 1950s and 1960s when almost all Americans did. Still, the vast majority of Americans believe in God, whether that means they believe a higher power hears prayers and can intervene or not. And while belief in God has declined in recent years, Gallup has documented steeper drops in church attendance, church membership and confidence in organized religion, suggesting that the practice of religious faith may be changing more than basic faith in God.
Click to shrink...

It’s hard for me, but yes I believe.

The church has hurt me pretty bad, so I am unsure what that means for my church is relationship going forward.

But I want to always have a relationship with GOD.

Churches are made up of humans. The people at Church are the entire spectrum from saints to everything else.

Don't let some crappy people at Church cause you to leave. It's like leaving school because some of the teachers were bad. :)

I'm actually surprised it's that high considering 80% of Americans don't attend Church each Sunday.

Americans should be careful what they wish for as we enter an atheist culture. It will have unintended consequences, IMO.

Communism and Nazi Germany are two examples.

Last edited:
Ultimately, it is important for each individual to have
a personal faith in God. The local church can help a
person develop a stronger faith in God. However, if the
local congregation loses its focus on God, then people
will stop coming.

Doesn’t matter.

the Christian fascists and Trumpists and SCOTUS will SHOVE THEIR FASCIST GOD DOWN EVERYONES GOD DAMN THROATS!

(must be read as guilfoyles or MGT or Bobert or 1/6 insurrectionist primal screams)

Not surprised that the number is falling..... As the country gets worse and worse

Frederick Nietszche, a die hard atheist, predicted in 1880 that this would happen.

He predicted Christianity ("God is dead") would die out in the West and would get replaced by nihilism.

He wanted to create a new value system to stop the rise of nihilism but went insane before he could complete it.

• Haha
Reactions: State of Illinois
I'm actually surprised it's that high considering 80% of Americans don't attend Church each Sunday.

Americans should be careful what they wish for as we enter an atheist culture. It will have unintended consequences, IMO.

Communism and Nazi Germany are two examples.
Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Holland are all examples of countries having little support for religion that appear to be doing quite well both culturally and economically. I'm not saying those are completely right but they aren't completely wrong either.

It’s hard for me, but yes I believe.

The church has hurt me pretty bad, so I am unsure what that means for my church is relationship going forward.

But I want to always have a relationship with GOD.
The would be church with a little c, not the Church. Don’t let what one so called church did sway your belief.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Holland are all examples of countries having little support for religion that appear to be doing quite well both culturally and economically. I'm not saying those are completely right but they aren't completely wrong either.

They were mostly Christian until a few decades ago.

They were mostly Christian until a few decades ago.
Then what happened? What sect of Christianity did they ascribe to? Like it or not the U.S. Baptists to my mind far closer in terms of religious philosophy to Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia than say Catholic or Lutheran ministries. Or the more "liberal" faiths such as say Judaism.

Reactions: nelly02
Then what happened? What sect of Christianity did they ascribe to? Like it or not the U.S. Baptists to my mind far closer in terms of religious philosophy to Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia than say Catholic or Lutheran ministries. Or the more "liberal" faiths such as say Judaism.

Then Europe abandoned it. America is, too.

Baptists have different sects, too. I don't think most Baptists want to execute gay people like those countries do.

Cop out of what? A cop out is believing something because your parents did.
there is no possible way to know.
as far as charity goes. Bs. Most is given out of fear and gullibility besides there is no way to quantify any volunteer work or charity if there than what churches claim. Lots of catholic donations to charity got paid to rape victims too.

Cop out of what? A cop out is believing something because your parents did.
there is no possible way to know.
as far as charity goes. Bs. Most is given out of fear and gullibility besides there is no way to quantify any volunteer work or charity if there than what churches claim. Lots of catholic donations to charity got paid to rape victims too.

Agnosticism is a cop out of making a choice on the most important truth there is. You have to make a choice, since you will die in a few decades.

By that point, life will be over and it may be too late.

And there's definitely ways to know. Read about Jesus (or ask Him if He is real) or read or talk to one of the millions of people that have had experiences of God or Satan.

Religious people give more to charity than the non-religious and they also volunteer more. By alot.

Agnosticism is a cop out.

If you're truly agnostic, take Pascal's Wager. :)

Religious people give more to charity than the non-religious and they also volunteer more. By alot.

Agnosticism is a cop out.

If you're truly agnostic, take Pascal's Wager. :)

What if you believe in the wrong god. Maybe you should reevaluate what agnostic means.
my belief is that if there is a god they value logic above all else. What will you tell them if the ask you how the f6ck could you believe the sh1t written in that book.

Agnosticism is a cop out of making a choice on the most important truth there is. You have to make a choice, since you will die in a few decades.

And there's definitely ways to know. Read about Jesus (or ask Him if He is real) or read or talk to one of the millions of people that have had experiences of God or Satan.
Holy sh1t. Did you read that? Who told you that you have to make a choice? Does that seem logical.

Catholic.
Attended almost every week until covid and this Pope. Sorry but I'm not listening to a fricking communist.
Not a true believer in god or heaven. Once this pope leaves I may start attending again. Heading to Italy in August - may hit some masses in a couple basilicas.
Believe in past presence and most of the teachings of Jesus - treatment of people, family and community and we all benefit.
Short summary.

Holy sh1t. Did you read that? Who told you that you have to make a choice? Does that seem logical.

Huh?

You're going to die in a few decades, right??

By that time, your choice will be forced. You have to choose.

Staying agnostic is rejecting God.

What if you believe in the wrong god. Maybe you should reevaluate what agnostic means.
my belief is that if there is a god they value logic above all else. What will you tell them if the ask you how the f6ck could you believe the sh1t written in that book.

That's a risk. Why not study, pray and make a choice?

Is it better to just refrain and stay agnostic until you die?

Catholic.
Attended almost every week until covid and this Pope. Sorry but I'm not listening to a fricking communist.
Not a true believer in god or heaven. Once this pope leaves I may start attending again. Heading to Italy in August - may hit some masses in a couple basilicas.
Believe in past presence and most of the teachings of Jesus - treatment of people, family and community and we all benefit.
Short summary.

The purpose of attending Mass is to get the Eucharist and sacraments.

Who cares who the Pope is??

Catholic.
Short summary.
God bless Pope Francis

And there's definitely ways to know. Read about Jesus or read or talk to one of the millions of people that have had experiences of God.

Agnosticism as a qualitative label isn't very useful.

Technically, every rational person could be defaulted into the category on the basis of some level of doubt.

What's interesting is the level of doubt. For a rational person this will be in accordance to the evidence for X. (God in this instance)

For example... I find the evidence for the likelihood of a theistic, as biblically depicted, God to be extraordinarily lacking. Basically... no good evidence at all. And so I'm defaulted into extreme skepticism. Say 99.9% confident based upon available evidence that there is no theistic God.

No, nobody can be *perfectly* sure, but that's not saying anything interesting, is it? We could posit infinite unlikely scenario in which we're not able to definitively exclude the possibility of X. But you don't worry about those low probability items, do you? I just add one more (God) to the list than you.

And so... Paschal's wager and other such thought experiments don't really go anywhere with such extreme skepticism.

(which I believe to be reasonably derived from lack of evidence)

Last edited:
Huh?

You're going to die in a few decades, right??

By that time, your choice will be forced. You have to choose.

Staying agnostic is rejecting God.
Again why do you have to choose? Who says? In all honesty if you’re Christian you should be catholic using this logic.
again do you know what agnostic means?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I agree "agnosticism" is a complete cop out when it comes to religion. I'm a complete atheist in that I do not take it as fact that there is a supernatural entity controlling my or any other person's life. I may be wrong but if I am that's on me. As an aside I also believe that those on the political spectrum who call themselves "Independents" are merely generally more centrist republicans that lack the stones to actually that they're republicans

Again why do you have to choose? Who says? In all honesty if you’re Christian you should be catholic using this logic.
again do you know what agnostic means?

We have to choose because remaining agnostic is basically rejecting God. It's just sitting on the fence and refusing to choose.

I am Catholic. :)

Reactions: AreWeCross
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT