ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Krikke-- 6'9 F COMMITS to IOWA / Rienk Mast-6'9 C visiting 4/6-7 / BJ Mack-- 6'8 C visiting 4/17-19

And people bitched about Fran landing him, although he became one of the better transfers in the B1G.
He was the hardest working Hawk, but he was no where near one of the better transfers. He definitely helped the Hawks, but he was no where near one of the better centers we have had.
He was a fallback, and as much as I appreciate his hard work he was an undersized center who played hard and helped us, but wasn't what we really needed then or now.

He was the hardest working Hawk, but he was no where near one of the better transfers. He definitely helped the Hawks, but he was no where near one of the better centers we have had.
He was a fallback, and as much as I appreciate his hard work he was an undersized center who played hard and helped us, but wasn't what we really needed then or now.
List the transfers in the B1G who were better than Rebraca, who was third-team all B1G. Shannon and_________.

List the transfers in the B1G who were better than Rebraca, who was third-team all B1G. Shannon and_________.
Rebraca is up there, but here's the list of players who were once transfers who made all-B1G this year:

Terrence Shannon-Baylor
Jalen Picket-Siena
Jahmir Young-Charlotte
Tyson Walker-Northeastern
Derrick Walker-Tennessee
Chase Audige-William & Mary
Matthew Mayer-Baylor
Filip Rebraca-North Dakota

Rebraca is up there, but here's the list of players who were once transfers who made all-B1G this year:

Terrence Shannon-Baylor
Jalen Picket-Siena
Jahmir Young-Charlotte
Tyson Walker-Northeastern
Derrick Walker-Tennessee
Chase Audige-William & Mary
Matthew Mayer-Baylor
Filip Rebraca-North Dakota
Good list. Were Picket and Audige portal transfers, or earlier? I still think Filip was among the better transfers in the B1G. Clearly not as good as Shannon, Picket, Young, or Audige. Filip has been at least as good as Liam Robbins, who I was hoping to get I think in the year we got him. The big guy who went to Texas Tech (Aimeq?) and is again in the portal looked really good last year, but I am not sure he would be among my top choices this year. We need someone who will show up and get to work, like Minor. He and the center from VA would probably be the two I would want most this year, based on my limited knowledge.

Reactions: Bishop1971
We don't need all big ten players?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Yeah, Iowa was about two front line players short this year but thats not Rebracas fault. He was good.

No team is going to be very successful with zero front line depth.

Rienk Mast is originally from the Netherlands.

Last season:

29 games played (of 35; Bradley was 25-10)

Averages:
28.7 minutes
13.8 pts
8.0 rebs
2.4 assists
.5 blocks
.6 steals

51.8 FG%
35.3% from 3
73.6% FTs

His last game was vs Wisconsin in the first round of the NIT. Bradley lost 81-62.

His stats:

31 minutes

4-9 (44%) from 2 point range
1-4 (25%) from 3
5-13 (38%) overall shooting

3-5 (60%) FTs

14 points
12 rebounds (2 offensive)
1 block

NUe_FC02

Seems to have a good offensive game, at least against the defenders he was facing in the part of the tape I watched. Not super athletic, and I am curious how well he plays on the defensive end. We really need a post defender and rebounder more than anything. Pair him with a dude like Minor, and he would look pretty good.
He has pretty good defensive numbers when you look at the advanced stats--he is an above average rebounder and his defensive +- is good. One thing to note about Mast in particular was Bradley was a really good team this year and he was their best player. I watch quite a bit of Valley hoops and there definitely was an argument to be made that Mast was more important to the regular season champs Bradley than Tucker DeVries was to Drake.
From the Athletic, who ranked Mast as the #47 transfer:
"Another first-team All-Missouri Valley player hitting the portal. Mast is a versatile Dutch big man who can operate on the block and create a shot with high-arcing hooks. That tends to be his home base, as he is ambidextrous with his finishing hand. But the more interesting skill he flashed this season was as a pick-and-pop threat. Mast hit 35 percent of his three 3-point attempts per game, with a pure looking shot that he can take quickly off the hop. He looks like a very legitimate option for a team that wants to play a floor-spacing five-man that can stretch the floor. And then weirdly he’ll be able to flash to the mid-post and drive an opposing player with an attack. The big thing that separates him from other offensive big men, though, is that he’s already been a part of pretty good defenses at Bradley. The Braves had the best defense in the Missouri Valley this year, and he was a big part of it. In total, Bradley won their minutes with Mast on the court by about 18 points per 100 possessions, and won them only by one point per 100 when he was off the court. He’s a real difference-maker that I’d buy playing at the high-major level next year."

I watched Mast during MVC play quite a bit. He’s a solid addition at a position of need. He’s got a game similar to Garza (obviously not at the efficiency Garza had). He did disappear offensively every so often but he has solid defensive capabilities.

He’d be more B1G-ready than Filip was coming out of North Dakota.

He has pretty good defensive numbers when you look at the advanced stats--he is an above average rebounder and his defensive +- is good. One thing to note about Mast in particular was Bradley was a really good team this year and he was their best player. I watch quite a bit of Valley hoops and there definitely was an argument to be made that Mast was more important to the regular season champs Bradley than Tucker DeVries was to Drake.
"Another first-team All-Missouri Valley player hitting the portal. Mast is a versatile Dutch big man who can operate on the block and create a shot with high-arcing hooks. That tends to be his home base, as he is ambidextrous with his finishing hand. But the more interesting skill he flashed this season was as a pick-and-pop threat. Mast hit 35 percent of his three 3-point attempts per game, with a pure looking shot that he can take quickly off the hop. He looks like a very legitimate option for a team that wants to play a floor-spacing five-man that can stretch the floor. And then weirdly he’ll be able to flash to the mid-post and drive an opposing player with an attack. The big thing that separates him from other offensive big men, though, is that he’s already been a part of pretty good defenses at Bradley. The Braves had the best defense in the Missouri Valley this year, and he was a big part of it. In total, Bradley won their minutes with Mast on the court by about 18 points per 100 possessions, and won them only by one point per 100 when he was off the court. He’s a real difference-maker that I’d buy playing at the high-major level next year."
Thanks for the insight. Seems like a fine player and would be an excellent 6th man.

But for the love of god, we need to get more centers like Cliff Omoruyi (tall and athletic) and less like Rebraca (undersized but good mechanics). We have plenty of offense. We NEED defense. Our entire defense crumbles if we don't have a tall shot blocker plugging the lane.

This is a good summary and I certainly echo this and what a couple others mentioned as I too watch the MVC some. Mast would be a great addition. He'd be a solid contributor down low, nice footwork, skilled, banger type, can step outside, solid defensively.

I'd take him in a heartbeat!

35% 3pt from your 5 is huge. Especially in the bigbten where everyone still plays a big slow 5 that stands in the paint.

I watched Mast during MVC play quite a bit. He’s a solid addition at a position of need. He’s got a game similar to Garza (obviously not at the efficiency Garza had). He did disappear offensively every so often but he has solid defensive capabilities.

He’d be more B1G-ready than Filip was coming out of North Dakota.
Looks to be somewhere in between Rebraca and Garza.

I like the looks of this guy way more than the guy that committed to UMass.

Watched Bradley/Mast 3/4 times this year and was not overly impressed by Mast's play in the Valley. He is good player, but he disappears in games that I watched. IMO he would be a good backup 5. I think Iowa needs a more robust center in the BIG. JMO and hope I am wrong if comes to Iowa.

Reactions: perryhawk
Rebraca had no offensive game outside 4 feet and only used one hand to finish.

This guy looks a little bigger, more skilled but less athletic.
I agree with the shooting better than FR, but less athletic thus my concern he can compete effectively in BIG.

And people bitched about Fran landing him, although he became one of the better transfers in the B1G.

People bitch on everything because this is a discussion board. I don't think the bitching on Rebraca signing was beyond the noise level. You probably have a different opinion of history so we can agree to disagree.

The major Bitching that I do recall has been not about Rebraca quality but rather that he has been pretty much the only addition to the squad at end of season over the past few years. I know Fran did pull in Bakari, but Bakari was no more than a warm body and same with retaining JoshO in last year's portal hunting season.

Meanwhile we have lost Moss, Nunge, Fredrick, JoeT over the same time frame to the portal..and now Ulis....though I am pleased that Perkins and Bowen haven't left. I suspect the NIL money has aided in retaining those guys, but have no inside knowledge.

Fran has some NIL money this year but NIL rates have gone up. Jury is out on how well he will do. The current doubt in Fran's portal recruiting is based on past performance. Even the most hardened Fran-iac would admit that Fran's historical portal performance has been underwhelming as a whole.

Another positionless basketball player, great, while other Big Ten teams find true centers Fran recruits slow white forwards to play the position....enough of this players offensive video, where is a video showing his defensive prowess especially against taller centers. Fran can sure pick'em.

Another positionless basketball player, great, while other Big Ten teams find true centers Fran recruits slow white forwards to play the position....enough of this players offensive video, where is a video showing his defensive prowess especially against taller centers. Fran can sure pick'em.
I agree look at Uconn they did it with 2 legit centers that play great defense which is why they blew out everyone

Reactions: Fran-Con-2
I agree with the shooting better than FR, but less athletic thus my concern he can compete effectively in BIG.
Thats where the outside shooting is going to be very helpful.

240 is plenty heavy enough to body up the guys that try to post up and theres not many effective post up guys now anyway.

If you can just play adequate defense and rebound while forcing the other teams 5 to be outside the lane to defend you its a net advantage.

In a perfect world a guy like this would be the back up 5 but again we can't afford to be real picky.

People bitch on everything because this is a discussion board. I don't think the bitching on Rebraca signing was beyond the noise level. You probably have a different opinion of history so we can agree to disagree.

The major Bitching that I do recall has been not about Rebraca quality but rather that he has been pretty much the only addition to the squad at end of season over the past few years. I know Fran did pull in Bakari, but Bakari was no more than a warm body and same with retaining JoshO in last year's portal hunting season.

Meanwhile we have lost Moss, Nunge, Fredrick, JoeT over the same time frame to the portal..and now Ulis....though I am pleased that Perkins and Bowen haven't left. I suspect the NIL money has aided in retaining those guys, but have no inside knowledge.

Fran has some NIL money this year but NIL rates have gone up. Jury is out on how well he will do. The current doubt in Fran's portal recruiting is based on past performance. Even the most hardened Fran-iac would admit that Fran's historical portal performance has been underwhelming as a whole.
What's Fran supposed to do..."Crean" most of his players so he can recruit half of the team from the portal?
Fran has never had multiple scholarships to give out for portal players that he hasn't given out to graduated high school players including this year.
If Patrick decides to call it quits, Fran has 3 scholarships to give out, I still want 1 of them to go to Nimmers despite some on here that believe giving a scholarship to a walk on is a waste of time. The kid is the most athletic and skilled guard Iowa has on it's roster.
If Fran does bring in someone from the portal, he damn well better be a very good player because Fran will undoubtedly promise him unlimited minutes, as he did with Rebraca, and that's not how it's suppose to work.

Last edited:
The Nebraska visit is the only one I’m aware of. I believe Wisconsin is/was in the mix too.
I don't think Wisconsin is in play now that Wahl is coming back. Wahl and Crowl played almost 80% of the minutes for Wisconsin this year when they were both healthy--a player of Mast's caliber isn't going somewhere to be behind 2 incumbents like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT