ADVERTISEMENT

Best High School Team In Iowa this past season

Oct 22, 2006
Who has the best team in all classes this season in Iowa? Dual meet I would have to go in this order 1. SEP 2-3. W-SR/DB 4. West Delaware, W-SR lost to DB by a point (but won the BOW), WD beat DB at BOW, only 2 dual losses by WD are to W-SR, only dual loss of DB was to WD, SEP beat W-SR in state dual finals.
Traditional tourney 1. W-SR 2-3. SEP/DB 4. WD 5. Fort Dodge 6-7. Lisbon/Denver W-SR wins 3 A title big over SEP, DB beat WD at Benton tourney, good teams, everyone could be better next minus SEP, they lose 2 champs, 2 placers, have to reload, other teams mentioned return a lot. Great wrestling season, great teams, great wrestlers and coaches.

Reactions: Hawk#7
Who has the best team in all classes this season in Iowa? Dual meet I would have to go in this order 1. SEP 2-3. W-SR/DB 4. West Delaware, W-SR lost to DB by a point (but won the BOW), WD beat DB at BOW, only 2 dual losses by WD are to W-SR, only dual loss of DB was to WD, SEP beat W-SR in state dual finals.
Traditional tourney 1. W-SR 2-3. SEP/DB 4. WD 5. Fort Dodge 6-7. Lisbon/Denver W-SR wins 3 A title big over SEP, DB beat WD at Benton tourney, good teams, everyone could be better next minus SEP, they lose 2 champs, 2 placers, have to reload, other teams mentioned return a lot. Great wrestling season, great teams, great wrestlers and coaches.

I'm sure Jessman Smith will be working the recruiting trail hard this year to reload. I don't understand why they get 90 SEP kids out for wrestling but feel it's still necessary to recruit.

Not that Bosco and WSR are innocent, I guess. It really is great to see so many communities get so much joy from Bosco's success. A true melting pot program.

How many transfers started for the top programs have this year?

I don't see DB or WD placing in the top 3 in 3A.

Interesting question to consider if transfers aren’t included.

Reactions: SansSouci2
I'm sure Jessman Smith will be working the recruiting trail hard this year to reload. I don't understand why they get 90 SEP kids out for wrestling but feel it's still necessary to recruit.

Not that Bosco and WSR are innocent, I guess. It really is great to see so many communities get so much joy from Bosco's success. A true melting pot program.

You got evidence of Jessman out recruiting guys? Text messages? Emails? Or because they get a few transfers, they must be recruiting?

Reactions: el dub
How many transfers started for the top programs have this year?

I don't see DB or WD placing in the top 3 in 3A.

A couple folks liked my question but no one has an answer for me? I'd seriously like to know exactly which kids transferred in to these schools. Not to raise a stink just to know.

Transfers is the world we live in, I would say in order from the most "transfers" to the least, talking about starting at the school since elementary, most 1. SEP 2. DB 3. W-SR 4. WD. In my opinion families moving to give their children better opportunities to succeed is far different than "recruiting". If you have a good wrestler come to you and say "I am thinking about transferring to your school", do you say no not interested or do have a conversation, I am betting you talk. Wrestlers want the opportunity to compete in the state duals, not all programs have the numbers and depth to make a run at the duals, the state duals is a great experience, it is NOT over rated. Some wrestlers want the opportunity to wrestle in the Clash, Cheesehead, Dvorak, Inde early season, etc., some kids want a challenging schedule, some schools do not have a very good schedule. Coaching in the off season, some schools train through the summer months, some do not, work our partners, got to have someone near your weight that can push you, I in no way believe that Fort Dodge kid was the best kid at 120 in 3A this year, but he won the state title, a lot because of his work out partner, in my opinion. That is not a knock on the FD 120 pounder, he got it done, congrats! I think 2 of the 3 state champs SEP had came from other high schools, it is what it is.

Transfers is the world we live in, I would say in order from the most "transfers" to the least, talking about starting at the school since elementary, most 1. SEP 2. DB 3. W-SR 4. WD. In my opinion families moving to give their children better opportunities to succeed is far different than "recruiting". If you have a good wrestler come to you and say "I am thinking about transferring to your school", do you say no not interested or do have a conversation, I am betting you talk. Wrestlers want the opportunity to compete in the state duals, not all programs have the numbers and depth to make a run at the duals, the state duals is a great experience, it is NOT over rated. Some wrestlers want the opportunity to wrestle in the Clash, Cheesehead, Dvorak, Inde early season, etc., some kids want a challenging schedule, some schools do not have a very good schedule. Coaching in the off season, some schools train through the summer months, some do not, work our partners, got to have someone near your weight that can push you, I in no way believe that Fort Dodge kid was the best kid at 120 in 3A this year, but he won the state title, a lot because of his work out partner, in my opinion. That is not a knock on the FD 120 pounder, he got it done, congrats! I think 2 of the 3 state champs SEP had came from other high schools, it is what it is.

To clarify, I am only interested in who moved in. I don't care if they did. Just want to know who they are. Thanks for the explanation of why kids/families choose to transfer even though I am aware of all of these reasons and more.

I in no way believe that Fort Dodge kid was the best kid at 120 in 3A this year, but he won the state title, a lot because of his work out partner, in my opinion. That is not a knock on the FD 120 pounder, he got it done, congrats! I think 2 of the 3 state champs SEP had came from other high schools, it is what it is.

Drake or does he wrestle with Siebolt & trains with Cullan too? Or maybe both is the answer.

Yeah, I count at least 6 transfers at DB in the starting lineup. They all moved to be better wrestlers. Nobody recruited anyone. It sells itself like Waverly or SEP.

Reactions: el dub and SHOPPING
To clarify, I am only interested in who moved in. I don't care if they did. Just want to know who they are. Thanks for the explanation of why kids/families choose to transfer even though I am aware of all of these reasons and more.

Indianola lost its two best wrestlers to SEP before last season, including Runyon who just won a state title.

These kids that transfer are not getting the workouts and drills with good partners and strength training needed in their old rooms. If it’s going to help them reach their goals, then good for them to seek tougher rooms. It makes perfect sense and I don’t blame any wrestler for bettering themselves and taking on tougher rooms. Strength and conditioning at Waverly is amazing and they’re building a complex just for sports conditioning. That’s awesome for a high school. Don Bosco is a hard nosed, old school badass wrestling room. Denver is great too and getting a great transfer next year. I know nothing about SEP, but 90 wrestlers in room. Wow!

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
My son said SEP had 120 wrestlers in the room last year and had tournament to find the starters. I can’t imagine that craziness if it’s true. We’re lucky to have double digits in our shit room.

Spoons, I hope you were just pulling a Willie there & trying to stir the pot as I thought you were much smarter than that. Anyone that has more than a "fan's" knowledge of SEP's program knows they do not recruit. Their success, leadership, facilities, faculty, etc. do the recruiting for them. Do they turn them away, no. Should they, no. Enough said. Disappointed though as I thought you were above that, man.

Spoons, I hope you were just pulling a Willie there & trying to stir the pot as I thought you were much smarter than that. Anyone that has more than a "fan's" knowledge of SEP's program knows they do not recruit. Their success, leadership, facilities, faculty, etc. do the recruiting for them. Do they turn them away, no. Should they, no. Enough said. Disappointed though as I thought you were above that, man.

I'm not Spoons. That's another guy.

People will believe this happens magically that other kids just show up just because it's a good program. That's always the excuse given by recruiting programs. It just happens, right? There a faction of SEP people that don't think it's right and are starting to ask questions.

People will believe this happens magically that other kids just show up just because it's a good program. That's always the excuse given by recruiting programs. It just happens, right? There a faction of SEP people that don't think it's right and are starting to ask questions.
I’m sure a part of the faction of the SEP people that don’t think it’s right potentially have kids that lost spots to kids that “moved in”. It would bother me if a kid had put his time in the room for several years only to be wrestling JV for another year because of a transfer

Reactions: wad57
Not a criticism, but isn't everyone that goes to DB a transfer in from another school district? It's a private school.

Spoons, if you are going to make claims against someone directly lets not follow it up with generalizations. How about some cold hard facts. Again, I can tell you no one on SEP's staff recruits. If you are going to claim otherwise lets see/hear your proof. Especially if you are going to have the nuts to call out a coach directly.

Reactions: HawkTalk84
Spoons, if you are going to make claims against someone directly lets not follow it up with generalizations. How about some cold hard facts. Again, I can tell you no one on SEP's staff recruits. If you are going to claim otherwise lets see/hear your proof. Especially if you are going to have the nuts to call out a coach directly.

Bingo. You can’t just make accusations like that and not post evidence.

Bosco 70 pounder - lives in cf, mom teaches at Waterloo east. Goes to school in gilbertville. Jesup kid last year also in their lineup this year. The two freshman stud twins are from Belmond.

Now lets at least keep it real, I totally agree most of the coaches mentioned do not "recruit", but keeping it real, if you are coaching Iowa teams all off season, and have contact with the best of the best in Iowa, and they happen to transfer to your school, I would say there is a little bit of "recruiting". I reiterate that what coach in his right mind would turn someone down that would be a positive influence on their program (and score points at state), but my opinion is if a kid would contact you about the possibility of "moving" the right thing to do is let the school he is coming from know you have had contact. This is the landscape of wrestling in Iowa high school wrestling, like it or not.

So you want me to post video of an interview with the trusted people directly connected to the program? Lol. This is a message board, brah. Not quite a court of law. I made points. You made yours. People can take either or leave either. But many know that if it looks like a duck...

Reactions: Russ Goldstein
I understand why guys transfer, but how necessary is it to be successful and get a D1 scholarship? Yes, you get good guys out of SEP, WSR, wherever, but most of the time the athletes rise to the top and they are from all over the place. I think at the bare minimum a kid needs to have a good training environment where he can push himself, supplement it with clubs and camps, and hit the weights and cardo. Do guys really need to be on an all-star team? There have been plenty of guys who got by without it. It just blows my mind what some parents are willing to sacrifice, when the return doesn't seem to be guaranteed.

Last edited:
So you want me to post video of an interview with the trusted people directly connected to the program? Lol. This is a message board, brah. Not quite a court of law. I made points. You made yours. People can take either or leave either. But many know that if it looks like a duck...

Sounds like you’ve got nothing. Got it.

Becoming eligible after a transfer is not as easy as you might think, there are ways to become eligible but there are things you have to prove such as change of address and reasoning for such change

That is a naive statement- I coached HS for several years and had to recruit my own kids in middle school to stay at our school. Many coaches have off-season camps and are involved with "clubs" and often times build relationships with the really good kids and they magically end up at that school. It isn't illegal but if I were to put on a camp for MS kids and a kid was on my campus I can speak with him about a whole range of topics. This happens everywhere and especially in metro areas. Now factor in private schools that becomes very unclear waters. Not saying it is right or wrong, it is fact that this happens. With the prevalence of club sports now there is no reason that an athlete can't, in this case, wrestle for his high school for 3 months of the year and have fantastic training partners for the other 9 months.....that excuse is just that, an excuse.

Now lets at least keep it real, I totally agree most of the coaches mentioned do not "recruit", but keeping it real, if you are coaching Iowa teams all off season, and have contact with the best of the best in Iowa, and they happen to transfer to your school, I would say there is a little bit of "recruiting". I reiterate that what coach in his right mind would turn someone down that would be a positive influence on their program (and score points at state), but my opinion is if a kid would contact you about the possibility of "moving" the right thing to do is let the school he is coming from know you have had contact. This is the landscape of wrestling in Iowa high school wrestling, like it or not.
If a coach reaches out to a head coach the proper protocol is to refer them directly to the AD and there is to be no conversation about possible move or transfer

No coaches are calling kids and asking them to come to their school. That’s dumb as shit to think that. The kids will show interest in a school and contact a coach and he’ll help navigate how to get the transfer done. I can only speak for Waterloo and Cedar Falls. No kid has been contacted by any school. Silly talk. SEP, no idea.

Anyone that says a kid can be the best he can be in a shit rooms like Waterloo Columbus or West Waterloo by going to club practice is a fool. Those high school rooms are dead, that’s why half of Don Bosco’s starters came from Cedar Valley Catholic schools. You have to leave bad rooms and go to DB, Denver or Waverly to be the best you can be. Union sucks balls, just a rival thing. I don’t care what club you go two, that’s two to three nights a week and not everyday after school and mornings. High school rooms matter and wrestlers choose those rooms and schools.

I can say with 100% confidence that the outside Waterloo area schools do not actively recruit, they kids just leave for competition. Sad state of Waterloo high school wrestling. I believe Gable could do more for Waterloo wrestling. I don’t get it.

Anyone that says a kid can be the best he can be in a shit rooms like Waterloo Columbus or West Waterloo by going to club practice is a fool. Those high school rooms are dead, that’s why half of Don Bosco’s starters came from Cedar Valley Catholic schools. You have to leave bad rooms and go to DB, Denver or Waverly to be the best you can be. Union sucks balls, just a rival thing. I don’t care what club you go two, that’s two to three nights a week and not everyday after school and mornings. High school rooms matter and wrestlers choose those rooms and schools.
How good does the room need to be? Does the need to be in a top 5 team to become a D1 kid? I would disagree.

No coaches are calling kids and asking them to come to their school. That’s dumb as shit to think that. The kids will show interest in a school and contact a coach and he’ll help navigate how to get the transfer done. I can only speak for Waterloo and Cedar Falls. No kid has been contacted by any school. Silly talk. SEP, no idea.

I can say with 100% confidence that the outside Waterloo area schools do not actively recruit, they kids just leave for competition. Sad state of Waterloo high school wrestling. I believe Gable could do more for Waterloo wrestling. I don’t get it.

giphy.gif

Reactions: russelscout
Sometimes you move for whatever reason and you actually have a choice to pick the school that you want. As in our case we entered a metro area w 7 high schools and smaller powerhouse schools within commuting distance. You do your homework academically and of course athletically depending on preferences of activities offered. Good clubs or feeder programs. You also look for a coach with a good reputation and a school with great tradition.
Then you hope for the best. That your kid continues to work hard and want to participate in the sport. Hopefully you made the right choice w the right program and practice partners. In our case the base was already there in the program. Another four families made the same type of choice. The program was already headed in the right direction to be one of the best in the state. Then 3-4 more studs move in and you spend years kicking the crap out of the competition. The team that was going to be one of the best in Iowa is now nationally ranked. This stuff happens and does not need to be sold or recruited. The parents and kids know. They will migrate on their own. Other programs will always be suspicious. There will be ruffled feathers when you move in and displace a kid that grew up in the program. Shit happens and this is wrestling. That is why you have wrestle offs and best man gets the coveted varsity singlet.

Reactions: HawkTalk84

Waterloo West had some excellent teams in the early 2000’s under Doug Dewald. Same with Columbus. Waterloo is a difficult place to win, no doubt. But it can be done with the right coaches and ADs. Would love to see them get these programs going again.

Last edited:
Spoons, you are a joke, brah! You made points, huh. More like unsupstanciated acquisitions. Anyway, I see this is going no where. Come back when you've got more than he said she said, Barney.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT