ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz named UI’s interim athletics director

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005

Goetz named UI’s interim athletics director​

BY: OFFICE OF STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION | 2023.06.01 | 08:15 AM
Beth Goetz has been named the University of Iowa’s interim director of athletics, effective Aug. 1.

Goetz, who currently serves as deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer, will hold the Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair. She was named interim AD after current athletics director Gary Barta announced May 26 that he will retire after 17 years at the university.

“Beth is a talented and respected leader not only at Iowa, but also at the national level in college athletics,” says UI President Barbara Wilson. “I am grateful she has agreed to lead this crucial part of our university and I am confident she will generate a lot of excitement and forward momentum for our student-athletes, coaches, athletics staff, and Hawkeye fans.”

Goetz joined the Iowa athletics staff in September 2022 from Ball State University, where she served as director of athletics for four years. At Ball State, she supervised 19 Division I sports teams, all head coaches, and senior staff. Before that, she served as the chief operating officer/senior woman administrator in the University of Connecticut athletics department from 2016-18. She previously served as the University of Minnesota’s deputy athletics director from 2013-15 and interim athletics director during the 2015-16 season.

Goetz was named to the NCAA Competition Oversight Committee in 2018 and served as vice chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Committee in 2021-22. She was named by Women Leaders in College Sports as the 2022 NCAA Division I FBS Nike Executive of the Year and recognized by the Indianapolis Business Journal as one of the publication’s 2021 Women of Influence.

A former soccer student-athlete and college coach, she received a Bachelor of Arts from Clemson University in 1996 and a master’s degree from the University of Missouri-St. Louis in 2000.

“I want to congratulate Gary Barta on his long career at Iowa and thank President Wilson for putting her trust in me and the tremendous people we have here at Iowa,” Goetz says. “The Hawkeyes have a proud and storied tradition with the greatest fan base in the country, and I am appreciative of the opportunity to lead the department. I am committed to supporting our talented coaches, staff, and student-athletes as we build on the positive trajectory of athletic and academic excellence.”

A national search for Barta’s permanent replacement is planned for sometime in early 2024.

Goetz’s appointment must be approved by the Board of Regents, State of Iowa.

Reactions: cidsports
Crazy they won't start a "search" before 2024. We all know who will get it, so let's just stop the charade.
At least when I was in the university setting, they still had to go through a formal search and hiring process. They can’t just anoint without due process.

Wanna bet some funds as to who gets the job? This 6 month or 8 month period is her trial run.
Lazy, lazy, lazy. Hiring at Iowa has become a joke. It's no longer about finding the best possible candidate...it's about finding the closest, most immediately available candidate possible to avoid doing any actual work.

This is a "slam dunk" hire? Was it her 6 months of experience at the U of Iowa or her experience at a school that most people have never heard of (certainly not its sports program)? Maybe it's that she's a lesbian woman who surely has the confidence and stature to stand up to Kirk Ferentz, who has more power than God in Iowa City.

Last edited:
Lazy, lazy, lazy. Hiring at Iowa has become a joke. It's no longer about finding the best possible candidate...it's about finding the closest, most immediately available candidate possible to avoid doing any actual work.
Hey, you said you put me on ignore about 4 weeks ago. I heart you too!

I think she will make a great AD at Iowa.

For many reasons.

Just like when we hired BF, was he REALLY the best candidate out there? Is she???? Or is this a little affirmative action?

AD at Ball State? Find me someone with more experience.

Former soccer player/coach? Who the F cares about soccer other than a select few?

To me, this is a football/wrestling school with some basketball sprinkled in. :)

Title ix is already a joke, most would agree.

Nope, don't want a woman.

Others will agree but will be afraid to speak up.

Lets just say, KF decides at 68 he retires after this season. Usually they want the AD hiring the football coach he wants. How do they handle if a decision has not been made on AD? A coach is going to want to know who the AD is they are working for.

I know, KF is not going to retire after this year.

For many reasons.

Just like when we hired BF, was he REALLY the best candidate out there? Is she???? Or is this a little affirmative action?

Former soccer player/coach? Who the F cares about soccer other than a select few?

To me, this is a football/wrestling school with some basketball sprinkled in. :)

You really think this hiring process is in any way, shape, or form, similar to BF?

AD at Ball State, Butler, Minnesota, finalist for the Wisconsin job, deputy AD at UConn. She was/is a hot candidate for AD positions across the country, and came to Iowa on the condition she'd be the AD in-waiting. There is nothing about her that says affirmative action, that's ridiculous based on zero evidence.

Frankly your entire reasoning is completely ridiculous and based solely off of emotional appeal.

For many reasons.

I would much rather have a fiery, competitively driven woman in the position than the complacent, incompetent turd we've had for the past 17 years. I'm going into it with an open mind.

For many reasons.

If you are married, I feel sorry for your wife with views like this. Hope you don't have daughters.

For many reasons.

I give you credit for publicly taking a controversial stand. I don’t agree however and as for soccer, I like it!

So do a “select” 5 billion others in the world. Lets keep in mind a 35-28 football game is a 5-4 soccer game.

As for being a woman. Not a big deal for me and I’m certainly not “woke” just reasonable. I don’t agree with mini touchy-feely far left talking points, but I am also a very moderate, compassion and empathetic person and I don’t think there is anything that limits a person from being able to do a “good job“…if they have passion and vision!

Crazy they won't start a "search" before 2024. We all know who will get it, so let's just stop the charade.

Wanna bet some funds as to who gets the job? This 6 month or 8 month period is her trial run.
Yeah, i'm guessing that means starting Aug 1 she is effectively auditioning for the gig full-time. Which I don't mind. Also gives the UI time to put feelers out if there's any bigger fish that might be interested as well.

The "official" search may not start until '24, but there's no way they aren't having conversations with people to gauge interest as well.
For many reasons.

You really think this hiring process is in any way, shape, or form, similar to BF?

AD at Ball State, Butler, Minnesota, finalist for the Wisconsin job, deputy AD at UConn. She was/is a hot candidate for AD positions across the country, and came to Iowa on the condition she'd be the AD in-waiting. There is nothing about her that says affirmative action, that's ridiculous based on zero evidence.

Frankly your entire reasoning is completely ridiculous and based solely off of emotional appeal.

Yeah, I don't get @HawkMachine on this one. She's got a solid resume at the very least. I'd have a bigger complaint if she straight up got hired without what is essentially a trial run this fall/winter.

Silly. They conducted a thorough search when they hired her to be the assistant AD, with the understanding that the AD job would come open within a year.

An excellent strategy for any organization, and a good way to ease a transition.

Is she the best person for the job? I don't know. Is there some benefit from having an insider? Yep. Is there some benefit from having an outsider? Yep.

With that being said, I hope the national search is legit. The Iowa AD job is a premiere job in the country, there is maybe 20 or so better? Surely it'll attract some highly qualified folks. Let the best person win...

Is she the best person for the job? I don't know. Is there some benefit from having an insider? Yep. Is there some benefit from having an outsider? Yep.

With that being said, I hope the national search is legit. The Iowa AD job is a premiere job in the country, there is maybe 20 or so better? Surely it'll attract some highly qualified folks. Let the best person win...
All valid points, although I don't think Goetz really fits as an insider, considering she's only been at Iowa for less than a year.

Absolutely do NOT want a female AD.

There, I said it.
priv-denying-dude-sexist.png

Not good enough! The next Iowa AD needs to be a strong Black woman. Liz Tovar would be a great choice.

As others have hinted.. this decision is ENTIRELY made with KF in mind.

A long tenured football coach won't be comfortable with a new AD looking over his shoulder.
But my concern is if Brian continues to stink the place up..I doubt Goetz has the intestinal fortitude to fire his ass.

This move means we're stuck with the Ferentz boys until KF retires.

I don't like the move.

As others have hinted.. this decision is ENTIRELY made with KF in mind.

A long tenured football coach won't be comfortable with a new AD looking over his shoulder.
But my concern is if Brian continues to stink the place up..I doubt Goetz has the intestinal fortitude to fire his ass.

This move means we're stuck with the Ferentz boys until KF retires.

I don't like the move.
First meeting:

Beth, "Hi Brian nice to meet you."

Brian, "Hi Beth, nice to meet you, what can I do for you to help make your transition more pleasant?"

Beth, "I want 35 points a game."

Were people really thinking this would be any different with any other AD?

Of course they did. That’s why they clamored for a new AD forever. It had nothing to do with Gary and everything to do with the fact that they believe a different AD will fire the winningest coach in university history!

Dumb as that sounds out loud!

Of course they did. That’s why they clamored for a new AD forever. It had nothing to do with Gary and everything to do with the fact that they believe a different AD will fire the winningest coach in university history!

Dumb as that sounds out loud!
14th best record in football over the last 10 years. With 3 of those teams at or above them suspect in lesser conferences.

Silly. They conducted a thorough search when they hired her to be the assistant AD, with the understanding that the AD job would come open within a year.

An excellent strategy for any organization, and a good way to ease a transition.

Look at who posted. He’s incapable of ever saying anything remotely positive…ever.

In this case we’re talking about a gal who has been around for less than year but has a solid resume, starts in earnest in two months and we’ll see what happens after that.

Seems stupid to denigrate someone before they’ve even had a chance to get started.

Good on her to get to this point....especially considering there are exactly 0 female ADs in the B1G right now.

However, unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe she has any experience in vetting, interviewing, and hiring a football coach. And with tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, riding on the success of the football program, I don't know that you can afford to hire an AD with no experience in that area....especially with an existing football coach that's in the twilight of his career. To my knowledge, the closest she has come is naming Tracy Claeys as interim at Minnesota when Kill had to retire due to ongoing issues with seizures. And that didn't end well at all.

With the B1G (along with the SEC) now at the top of the heap looking down at everyone else in college football, I have to believe there are ALOT of experienced/accomplished ADs at ACC, P12, and B12 schools that would jump at the chance to run the athletic dept at the UI. I would rather see us go that route.

She's definitely qualified and she had NIL up and running at Ball State on day 1.

If she's around for the next 5-10 years, she will be hiring head coaches in football, men's basketball and women's basketball. Maybe even wrestling. I hope she's up to the task.

I demand no more Lick mistakes.

Thank you.

Reactions: sober_teacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT