ADVERTISEMENT

Beth Goetz named UI’s interim athletics director

However, unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe she has any experience in vetting, interviewing, and hiring a football coach. And with tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, riding on the success of the football program, I don't know that you can afford to hire an AD with no experience in that area....especially with an existing football coach that's in the twilight of his career. To my knowledge, the closest she has come is naming Tracy Claeys as interim at Minnesota when Kill had to retire due to ongoing issues with seizures. And that didn't end well at all.
Exactly.

We are too big of a college to try someone out.

As I said in my previous post, the same could be said when Brian was hired.

We want the BEST candidate out there.

I'm about 99% certain she's not the BEST out there.

Silly. They conducted a thorough search when they hired her to be the assistant AD, with the understanding that the AD job would come open within a year.

An excellent strategy for any organization, and a good way to ease a transition.

Yeah, I think they "officially" have to post the job but unofficially the job is hers. Hope I used the correct pronoun! LOL..... just kidding....

Exactly.

We are too big of a college to try someone out.

As I said in my previous post, the same could be said when Brian was hired.

We want the BEST candidate out there.

I'm about 99% certain she's not the BEST out there.

Is there such a thing? Are you the absolute best at your job?

• Haha
Reactions: dean_oliver222
For many reasons.

Just like when we hired BF, was he REALLY the best candidate out there? Is she???? Or is this a little affirmative action?

AD at Ball State? Find me someone with more experience.

Former soccer player/coach? Who the F cares about soccer other than a select few?

To me, this is a football/wrestling school with some basketball sprinkled in. :)

Title ix is already a joke, most would agree.

Nope, don't want a woman.

Others will agree but will be afraid to speak up.

Zero idea on her qualifications. However, if she is a lesbian, the University sure as heck won’t be able to fire her without paying a huge settlement no matter how bad she is.

• Love
I’ll bet KF has never had a female boss. He might be like most arrogant men put in that situation for the first time and be ultra-intimidated. Probably be good for him and the program.
Mary????

And also the U of I President is female. So maybe not directly, but she is at the top.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I’m actually pretty pumped about this for a whole myriad of reasons…,

1) although again I’m no progressive by any stretch. I think it’s cool to have the first female AD in the B1G and am confident she will excel!

2) She is already way out in front on NIL..

3) I find it comical that she was basically hired to take over with the idea in mind Gary would retire soon. All the while the “fun/charming” fans clamored for his job…good stuff

4) She also isn’t the “outside” hammer they
Hoped would come in and set KF straight. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I cant stop smiling about that one!

5) I think a new perspective that still gets what we are about is great!!

PS….I’m down with swarm beer. Put me down for 10 cases!

PPS…. I had to add in. I’m also excited about the day when fans start calling for her head and then other fan step in and say it’s because she’s a woman lol good stuff!

Last edited:
I wonder if she will be more helpful to TX_Hawk and the Swarm?

I’m actually pretty pumped about this for a whole myriad of reasons…,

1) although again I’m no progressive by any stretch. I think it’s cool to have the first female AD in the B1G and am confident she will excel!

2) She is already way out in front on NIL..

3) I find it comical that she was basically hired to take over with the idea in mind Gary would retire soon. All the while the “fun/charming” fans clamored for his job…good stuff

4) She also isn’t the “outside” hammer they
Hoped would come in and set KF straight. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I cant stop smiling about that one!

5) I think a new perspective that still gets what we are about is great!!

PS….I’m down with swarm beer. Put me down for 10 cases!

PPS…. I had to add in. I’m also excited about the day when fans start calling for her head and then other fan step in and say it’s because she’s a woman lol good stuff!
10 cases?!?!? That will start some rumors.

Sounds great (Hawk Central)

No. 2: Keep momentum going with current facility projects​

One of Barta’s strengths was fund-raising and finishing high-dollar facilities; continuing that trend will be a priority for Goetz, and it sounds like she is well on her way in this department.

The new $31.5 million Iowa wrestling facility adjacent to Carver-Hawkeye Arena continues to charge ahead with a target completion of summer 2024. Iowa wrestling coach Tom Brands told the Register in a text message that Goetz "has been awesome, instrumental" during her time at Iowa and that, "She will carry the day with our best donors."

Look at who posted. He’s incapable of ever saying anything remotely positive…ever.

In this case we’re talking about a gal who has been around for less than year but has a solid resume, starts in earnest in two months and we’ll see what happens after that.

Seems stupid to denigrate someone before they’ve even had a chance to get started.
You do realize where you are, right?

Good on her to get to this point....especially considering there are exactly 0 female ADs in the B1G right now.

However, unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe she has any experience in vetting, interviewing, and hiring a football coach. And with tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, riding on the success of the football program, I don't know that you can afford to hire an AD with no experience in that area....especially with an existing football coach that's in the twilight of his career. To my knowledge, the closest she has come is naming Tracy Claeys as interim at Minnesota when Kill had to retire due to ongoing issues with seizures. And that didn't end well at all.

With the B1G (along with the SEC) now at the top of the heap looking down at everyone else in college football, I have to believe there are ALOT of experienced/accomplished ADs at ACC, P12, and B12 schools that would jump at the chance to run the athletic dept at the UI. I would rather see us go that route.
Pretty sure it's not just the AD that's hiring a coach. There are other people on the interviewing process.

Why would he be intimidated, much less "ultra-intimidated," by a meek little woman with few athletic or professional accomplishments?
Because she’s his boss; something he’s not used to. This would be an extreme example, of course, but I’m sure we all know at least one guy (friend, family, coworker, etc) who lost his smugness once he had to start answering to a woman.

Because she’s his boss; something he’s not used to. This would be an extreme example, of course, but I’m sure we all know at least one guy (friend, family, coworker, etc) who lost his smugness once he had to start answering to a woman.

I know way more than one & honestly no one “likes”answering to anyone. It’s part of the human condition!

But KF has a pretty overbearing wife from all I’ve heard, as do I, no pics and I’m sure he is well prepared!

Again that is your hope!

• Love
She's definitely qualified and she had NIL up and running at Ball State on day 1.

If she's around for the next 5-10 years, she will be hiring head coaches in football, men's basketball and women's basketball. Maybe even wrestling. I hope she's up to the task.

I demand no more Lick mistakes.

Thank you.
so you approved of the Alford hire?
remember Fran had to fix the results of the Alford mess as well. Alford only had 3 NCAAT trips in his tenure here and he only had 3 winning seasons in the BT.

lets face facts. if she doesn't fire Brian on the 1st day after the season is done you poster will call for her to be fired. plus she will be labeled a fraud that had no business being a AD at IA.

Pretty sure it's not just the AD that's hiring a coach. There are other people on the interviewing process.
Totally understand that. But as the head of the athletic department, she's still in charge of the process. If there's no experience in that process, it increases the chances of a bad hire.

lets face facts. if she doesn't fire Brian on the 1st day after the season is done you poster will call for her to be fired. plus she will be labeled a fraud that had no business being a AD at IA.

Bin-fu#&ing-O….that’s why they wanted a new AD.

Good on her to get to this point....especially considering there are exactly 0 female ADs in the B1G right now.

This is definitely a valid concern.

Assuming Goetz eventually gets the job, she will be charged with hiring the 2 most important, high profile head coaching positions at the University (or any major college, for that matter) within the next several years: football and men's basketball. Is she up to the task? And does she have the fortitude to fire coaches who underperform?

Of course, those are concerns for ANY person hired as athletic director, moreso a woman as there are not many at the major collegiate level.

I hope she is up to the task. I will be rooting for her from Day 1.

I also hope she will be a strong promoter not only of Iowa athletics, but the University as a whole. Kinda like Jamie Pollard, only not sleazy, desperate, or douchy.

Last edited:
Holy cow this is one of the most wrong things ever posted on this website.

Yes he is a hard core never Ferentz bitter ender as ole” @thedeploarablesleepingdog always says…

With that he isn't that bad. At least comparatively speaking. There are some real buffoons in here!

But do you think Mary F. doesn't kick Kirk's ass at home? I know for a FACT that raging nutbag Margaret McCaffery absolutely owns poor Franny behind closed doors.

Take that for what it's worth. I'd say most dudes on here get our asses kicked by women when it comes to the domestic side of things. So if I have a chick boss, I go balls to the wall at her uppity ass. They ultimately all melt, unlike the wives/girlfriends. Kirk is a tough guy... he can handle any fake machismo from this young lady.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT