ADVERTISEMENT

BF on the most recent OnIowa podcast

Anybody check this out yet? Like him or not, I thought it was a great interview. The most I've ever heard him speak, and it's fairly candid. Didn't realize how much he sounds like Kirk either, in his voice and his self-deprecating "humor".
Agree. Great interview. The more I listen to Brian the more I am impressed with him. He's an "amped-up" version of Kirk. I like his attitude … I like he admits he can always get better … My thoughts of him filling the top spot down the road at Iowa have changed the past couple of years. I think this is a smart guy who knows what it takes to win …

Edit: I also like that he knows the Iowa culture and types of kids they are looking for. I like Iowa's recruiting philosophy … where they want a kid to come to Iowa on his own accord … how we don't pressure kids to make decisions, etc. I like how Iowa goes about its business. It's a class-act program with a very good staff in place. If I had a kid with a P5 opportunity, I'd know my kid is in good hands with this staff and program.

Agree. Great interview. The more I listen to Brian the more I am impressed with him. He's an "amped-up" version of Kirk. I like his attitude … I like he admits he can always get better … My thoughts of him filling the top spot down the road at Iowa have changed the past couple of years. I think this is a smart guy who knows what it takes to win …

Edit: I also like that he knows the Iowa culture and types of kids they are looking for. I like Iowa's recruiting philosophy … where they want a kid to come to Iowa on his own accord … how we don't pressure kids to make decisions, etc. I like how Iowa goes about its business. It's a class-act program with a very good staff in place. If I had a kid with a P5 opportunity, I'd know my kid is in good hands with this staff and program.
I agree with this. I wasn't a big fan a few years ago but my opinion has changed.

I liked Brian from day one. Came through New England, did his time on staff and in the trenches so he knows what it takes. I have been confused about why the running game hasn't taken off more but I really like the balance he has brought back to the offense, something we saw more of under O'Keefe. And some creativity!

I liked Brian from day one. Came through New England, did his time on staff and in the trenches so he knows what it takes. I have been confused about why the running game hasn't taken off more but I really like the balance he has brought back to the offense, something we saw more of under O'Keefe. And some creativity!
Ditto.

Reactions: dbrocket
Anybody check this out yet? Like him or not, I thought it was a great interview. The most I've ever heard him speak, and it's fairly candid. Didn't realize how much he sounds like Kirk either, in his voice and his self-deprecating "humor".
Honestly, I came away from that wanting him to be the next head coach. He sounds like a Leader.

I particularly like that he was willing to criticize the NCAA and others making decisions about bringing football back. It's pretty clear he's concerned for his players and that is where a coach's concern should be.

Really great podcast. Scott Dochterman really knows, and understands, how to ask a question about details of the game that we don't even think about.... we just complain if shit doesn't go right. Scott is very sharp, and of course I've been a fan of Morehouse for years.
The Gazette was lucky to have those guys and Hlas for the final glory days of newspapers.

Really great podcast. Scott Dochterman really knows, and understands, how to ask a question about details of the game that we don't even think about.... we just complain if shit doesn't go right. Scott is very sharp, and of course I've been a fan of Morehouse for years.
The Gazette was lucky to have those guys and Hlas for the final glory days of newspapers.
Yeah.
Morehouse is good also.
It’s too bad the news side has been overrun by snowflakes.

Last edited:
He must have gotten his enthusiasm from his Mom ~ he sure didn't learn it from Dad, or Belichick

Have not ever been at an Iowa practice, but those who have been tell me that one would not doubt KF's enthusiasm if we saw practice every day. Personally, I'll take my coach being under control during games every time. Any impact on the team performing better on game day has to be done in practice, not just yelling at them during games. If game day excitement equaled wins, Paul Rhoads would be thee best coach in America.

He must have gotten his enthusiasm from his Mom ~ he sure didn't learn it from Dad, or Belichick
If you'd listened to the podcast you'd have heard Morehouse saying how fired up Kirk gets during practice and drills. He said they (media) were completely surprised by Kirk's intensity and how different he was when not addressing the media.

I thought it was a great interview as well. Brian speaks what is on his mind. He does understand the need to for restraint though. I do believe he will be a very good head coach and hope he stays as Iowa. He does bleed black and gold and knows what it takes to be successful at Iowa.

I'm surprised Brian Ferentz came out and said the players should be paid/compensated in some way. Maybe this isn't surprising but I hadn't heard an Iowa coach make a public comment in support of this. I agree with everything he said, I just wasn't expecting it. A very informative podcast

I'm surprised Brian Ferentz came out and said the players should be paid/compensated in some way. Maybe this isn't surprising but I hadn't heard an Iowa coach make a public comment in support of this. I agree with everything he said, I just wasn't expecting it. A very informative podcast

My guess is most coaches and probably administrators would agree with him. The question becomes how much, and what do you do about the athletes in other sports. If you pay football players and not every other athlete at the UI, it takes about 30 seconds before a lawsuit is filed for Title IX violations and not providing the same benefits to female athletes. And they would likely win (and they probably should). Yes, there is a lot of revenue generated. But say you pay each scholarship athlete at Iowa $50K, with about 797 total athletes across all sports (2018 data) you are looking at $39M per year. Sports would have to be dropped or other drastic cuts to get that money.

Have not ever been at an Iowa practice, but those who have been tell me that one would not doubt KF's enthusiasm if we saw practice every day. Personally, I'll take my coach being under control during games every time. Any impact on the team performing better on game day has to be done in practice, not just yelling at them during games. If game day excitement equaled wins, Paul Rhoads would be thee best coach in America.
This in spades. KF has plenty of fire, and it comes out when its needed, not all the time like you see from some of the maniacs patrolling the sidelines. Countless people in the sport have commented how important, and refreshing it is to see a coach who leads with a calm hand, and shows his players by example to stay the course during adversity, during games or over the course of a rough season. For those looking to dog on the captain for whatever reason, this would be an issue with no substance..

BF pretty much says what he thinks, and its pretty refreshing. Occasionally he needs a bit more of a filter, which we've seen from time to time, but he's learning and maturing, and he'll get there...

The thing i dont understand is that an already outrageously expensive college education will get more expensive to pay football and basketball players. Kind of like paying for an education AND a pro sports team at the same time? Now if we are only talking endorsements, then so be it. I am all for that.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I listened to it while on a road trip. Great interview! Brian has a sense of humor that had me laughing quite a bit.
Cheers everyone and go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT