ADVERTISEMENT

Biden Announces 100% TARIFF on Chinese-made Electric Vehicles

Do you favor or oppose raising the tariff from 25% to 100% on Chinese EVs?

• Total voters
It's a little strange to see the folks blasting Trump for his tariffs now supporting Biden for even worse tariffs, especially since the Biden tariffs makes EV's made in the US even more expensive. On one side those folks constantly scream about climate change, but then support making ALL EV's more expensive. I just don't understand that logic. Those same folks also spout talking points about corporate greed being inflationary, but don't think these kind of tariffs are inflationary and government greed.

Yes, tariffs are needed to level the playing field against another government's subsidies. Once they go beyond that, it's no longer about leveling the playing field, and stifles legitimate competition.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
It's a little strange to see the folks blasting Trump for his tariffs now supporting Biden for even worse tariffs, especially since the Biden tariffs makes EV's made in the US even more expensive.
I agree. If you check the voting, though, both sides are on both sides. Hard to figure.

Another poll might tease it out ("I opposed Trump's tariffs and I also oppose Biden's tariffs" and so on). But I'm too settled in to do that at the moment.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
Janet Yellen spoke to NPR and cleared up the reasoning on this.

President Biden announced tariffs on roughly $18 billion of imports from China. They're very carefully targeted at sectors that we're supporting through legislation that President Biden passed with Congress, the clean energy sector, semiconductors, sectors where we consider it critical to create good jobs.

We're seeing massive investment in manufacturing in these areas. And we think it's very important to protect our workers and our firms in these strategic sectors from the kind of dumping that results when China develops massive overcapacity in these areas.

Yellen didn't come right out and say it, but they are afraid the green businesses in the US that are getting big government grants still won't be able to compete and will go out of business. The actual words were "protect American jobs".

Janet Yellen spoke to NPR and cleared up the reasoning on this.

President Biden announced tariffs on roughly $18 billion of imports from China. They're very carefully targeted at sectors that we're supporting through legislation that President Biden passed with Congress, the clean energy sector, semiconductors, sectors where we consider it critical to create good jobs.

We're seeing massive investment in manufacturing in these areas. And we think it's very important to protect our workers and our firms in these strategic sectors from the kind of dumping that results when China develops massive overcapacity in these areas.

Yellen didn't come right out and say it, but they are afraid the green businesses in the US that are getting big government grants still won't be able to compete and will go out of business. The actual words were "protect American jobs".
Not how I interpreted her comments. Dumping below cost to capture markets and drive competitors out of business is nothing new. The US started outlawing that kind of thing internally a long time ago, albeit not aggressively enough, imo.

That said, I'm still not a fan of these tariffs, in general, although some might get my approval if I knew more details.

Reactions: Finance85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT