ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House passes bill to ban ballot drop boxes, shorten return deadline

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Idiotic:
Iowa House Republicans passed legislation Tuesday that would again constrain the time period and options for early voting in Iowa elections.

The House voted 62-35 to pass House File 2610, with all Republicans in support and all Democrats opposed. The bill now heads to the Iowa Senate, which has advanced a companion bill out of committee.

The bill makes changes to state elections law that would limit challenges to federal candidates’ placement on the ballot, create an earlier deadline for absentee ballots to be received by local elections officials, ban absentee ballot drop boxes and ban ranked choice voting, among other changes.

Democrats vehemently opposed the bill, arguing it would make it harder for certain Iowans to cast a ballot. Republicans said the bill aims to maintain the highest level of election integrity in Iowa.

He said several states, including Colorado, New York, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Maryland and Connecticut, have more restrictive laws.

“This bill expands voting rights by 5 percent. It gives Iowans more time to vote,” Kaufmann said during debate. “It ensures that our vote remains the most secure in the country. And, thank goodness, it prevents activists from deciding who is on the ballot. It prevents activist from subverting the will of the people.”

Representatives for county auditors, the League of Women Voters and AARP Iowa opposed the bill, saying it would make it more difficult for older Iowans and people with disabilities to return their ballots. They also said it has become a constant struggle to educate Iowans about new voting rules and deadlines.

Lawmakers in recent years have shortened Iowa's early voting period and stripped auditors of much of their discretion in running elections in their counties, including restricting their ability to establish satellite in-person early voting sites and mail out absentee ballot request forms.

Rep. Adam Zabner, D-Iowa City, and other Democrats said instances of voter fraud in Iowa are exceeding rare to necessitate such changes to the state’s election laws.

ADVERTISING

The wife of a Northwest Iowa county supervisor was convicted by a federal jury in November of 52 counts of voter fraud in a scheme to stuff the ballot box in her husband’s unsuccessful race for a Republican nomination to run for Congress in 2020.

“There has not been one argument provided for how this bill increases so-called election integrity,” Zabner said. “There has not been one argument provided for widespread voter fraud anywhere in the history of these changes that have made voting more restrictive. All we do know is it makes it harder for Iowans to vote.”

What does the bill do?​

Under the bill, absentee ballots would have to be received by the county auditor by the close of business on the day before Election Day to be counted — one day earlier than the current law. Now, ballots received by the time polls close on Election Day are eligible to be counted.

Auditors would be able to begin mailing out absentee ballots two days earlier to compensate for the earlier deadline. That would give Iowa voters an additional day to mail back absentee ballots. In-person early voting still would begin 20 days in advance of an election.

The bill also would require absentee voters to include their voter identification number when returning their ballots. Current law requires voters to provide those numbers only when they submit a written request for a ballot.

The measure would set new requirements for absentee ballot envelopes, which the Iowa State Association of County Auditors says would require counties to incur significant costs by buying new envelopes. A fiscal note by the nonpartisan Legislative Services Agency estimates the cost increase statewide for new envelope printing at $800,000 for presidential election years and $286,000 for midterm election years.

Kaufmann said absentee ballot drop boxes no longer are needed with the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency. COVID-19 severely disrupted elections in 2020. State voting systems were overwhelmed by long lines and an influx of absentee ballot requests, leading to the use of drop boxes.

Kaufmann said Iowa voters still could deposit ballots “in blue drop boxes that are in every city in every county in the state of Iowa” — referring to U.S. Postal Service mailboxes.

He also asserted having “documentable proof” that ballot drop boxes were installed in an alley, a Hy-Vee and outside a courthouse. “That is not secure,” Kaufmann said.

Voting rights activists and county election officials, however, note mail delivery may be delayed and take days, whereas a drop box lets voters know for certain their absentee ballots have been received.

Insulating Trump from challenges​

The bill also would prohibit Iowa-based ballot challenges like the one in Colorado that sought to remove former President Donald Trump from the ballot over claims he incited an insurrection. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled this week in a unanimous decision that Trump could remain on the ballot.

Candidates for federal offices could be challenged only on U.S. constitutional requirements on age, residency, citizenship and whether their nominating papers meet all the legal requirements. Iowans could still challenge Trump's eligibility in court.

The bill also would remove a rule that federal candidates must sign a statement indicating they are aware they are disqualified from holding office if they have been convicted of a felony. Trump faces 91 felony charges in four criminal cases.

Kaufmann, who served as a senior adviser to Trump's 2024 Iowa caucus campaign, said legal activists should not be deciding who is eligible to be on the ballot.

Democrats: Bill will make it harder to vote​

Iowa City’s Zabner said such new restrictions on absentee voting could prevent thousands of Iowans from having their ballots counted.

He said 13,883 Iowans during the 2022 general election returned their ballots via an absentee ballot drop box that are secured and monitored around the clock. And 3,000 Iowans returned absentee ballots on Election Day.

About 150 ballots that would have been valid under previous Iowa law were not counted due to new restrictions on absentee voting enacted in 2021, he said.

Rep. Amy Nielsen, D-North Liberty, proposed an amendment to make voting easier and more accessible — including automatic voter registration, expanding early voting to 45 days, allowing county auditors to begin counting absentee ballots earlier, making it harder to remove people from voter rolls, expanding use of ballot drop boxes and allowing counties discretion to establish satellite voting locations.

The amendment was defeated by Republicans on a party-line vote.

“I have yet to heard any kind of argument or example of how drop boxes are not providing integrity in our elections,” said Rep. Heather Matson, D-Ankeny. “To me, that’s a false argument. … I think it’s a terrible idea, in my opinion. What we should he doing is making voting easier; not harder. What we should be thinking about is civic engagement and ways in which we want people to participate in this country.”

You'd think after several elections in a row on how these policies have actually harmed Republican voting turnout they would quit supporting this but here we are. It's about making the people they don't like suffer, even if it harms themselves in the process.

This Republican Legislature wants to rid Iowa of voting any time before “Election Day”...they have zero tolerance for any type of “convenience voting” by the people. They are a weird group that believe “exclusion” is the best policy.
It's 8 months until election day. If you can't plan accordingly, you are too far gone to vote anyway........

It's 8 months until election day. If you can't plan accordingly, you are too far gone to vote anyway........
Why can’t I vote in October, at my leisure when the polls are easily accessible? I can tell you right now how and who I am voting for...why should a voter have to wait till Election Day, and face bad weather, long lines or any other number of things that might make voting a hassle instead of a privilege?

This will harm turnout in rural Iowa, but I assume they've figured rural losses will be offset by larger losses in blue parts of the state. I can't wait for those sacks of ballots to be returned several days after the election that are postmarked 3 days before the election.

Keeps people like this from voting >

Bill generally contains the following:

1. Absentee ballots must be received by day prior to election.
2. Absentee ballots will be mailed out (2) days earlier than previous.
3. Returned absentee ballots must display voter ID number.
4. New absentee ballot envelope.
5. No ballot drop boxes - (Substitute mail boxes).

Don't see a problem with any of this,.. and I think at least some aspects of it improve the appearance of a secure election...

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Why can’t I vote in October, at my leisure when the polls are easily accessible? I can tell you right now how and who I am voting for...why should a voter have to wait till Election Day, and face bad weather, long lines or any other number of things that might make voting a hassle instead of a privilege?
Lots of guys got their balls blown off so your fat, lazy ass could vote, PERIOD! STFU, have some respect and follow the system that has worked since 1776 and quit bawling about your phucking convenience you whining, entitled prick! Inconvenient, is sitting in a wheelchair at some VA.......

Reactions: HawkeyeHitman

Don't see a problem with any of this,.. and I think at least some aspects of it improve the appearance of a secure election...
How much voter fraud is there in Iowa that this bill addresses?
Counting on the USPS isn't great for rural Iowans, or, city folk sometimes. Chuck Grassley says so.

Outside of #3; how do those others actually address election integrity?

And again, is it so hard for republicans to first establish that a problem exists before proposing a solution?

And heck, say someone mails in their ballot a week for the election; but gets delayed en route and it now arrives a day late. It’s reasonable to expect something to be delivered in 7 days but stuff happens.

Why should their vote not be counted when through no fault of their own it wasn’t delivered on time.

How much voter fraud is there in Iowa that this bill addresses?
Counting on the USPS isn't great for rural Iowans, or, city folk sometimes. Chuck Grassley says so.

Don't know, but this moves things closer to providing the appearance of a more secure election,... USPS is accessible to all,..

And again, is it so hard for republicans to first establish that a problem exists before proposing a solution?

The problem exists, and the problem is that many voters don't trust the looseness that was introduced to the voting process during covid,.. The problem is the "appearance" of an insecure election.

• Haha
Reactions: JWolf74 and abby97
The problem exists because republicans allege that it does…without ever providing proof.

Here is your proof:
I'm an Iowa voter, and I don't like the continued use of loosely monitored ballot drop boxes, now that covid is over. I see this practice as contributing to the appearance of a loosely run election.

Reactions: abby97
Here is your proof:
I'm an Iowa voter, and I don't like the continued use of loosely monitored ballot drop boxes, now that covid is over. I see this practice as contributing to the appearance of a loosely run election.
So without any actual evidence you believe there’s fraud happening…even tho I can point to election after election being certified without issue.

Your perception is not an accurate one and I doubt there’s anything anyone could say or do that would convince you.

Voter integrity is of the utmost importance. I'm pleased that the legislature has this issue front and center.

Reactions: Rifler
So without any actual evidence you believe there’s fraud happening…even tho I can point to election after election being certified without issue.

Your perception is not an accurate one and I doubt there’s anything anyone could say or do that would convince you.

Perception and assumptions make up the entirety of the GOP platform.

- elections are non-secure
- banning abortions decreases abortion rates
- tax cuts for the wealthy trickle down
- the stock market performance is only indicative of Trump’s polling
- more access to guns means safer communities
- it gets really cold at times in the winter, so climate change isn’t real

It’s the greatest con job in American history.

Here is your proof:

The problem exists, and the problem is that many voters don't trust the looseness that was introduced to the voting process during covid,.. The problem is the "appearance" of an insecure election.
I think the rules implemented in covid were practical and should stay in effect.

Absentee ballots are the way to go. The fact that one party continues to fight them is to their detriment.

Why do drop boxes need to be eliminated?

Kaufmann said Iowa voters still could deposit ballots “in blue drop boxes that are in every city in every county in the state of Iowa” — referring to U.S. Postal Service mailboxes.

He also asserted having “documentable proof” that ballot drop boxes were installed in an alley, a Hy-Vee and outside a courthouse. “That is not secure,” Kaufmann said.

What is the proof that drop boxes aren't secure?

Most of the banks that I use have never been robbed, but they all have large and very secure looking vaults that based on past history, they really don't need,.. I trust my banks.

Keeps people like this from voting >

That person isn't voting anyway. The vast majority of illegal voting has been coming from Republicans.

Hardly anyone is trying to commit voter fraud with the current standards either. I'm not sure what your point is here.

My point is that it's about appearance,.. If there are voters who don't trust aspects of the system, they will not trust or support the outcome,... Appearance is the problem.

Most of the banks that I use have never been robbed, but they all have large and very secure looking vaults that based on past history, they really don't need,.. I trust my banks.
You can just admit that there’s absolutely nothing that can be stated that will change your mind. You have your belief that the process is vulnerable despite zero supporting evidence.

My point is that it's about appearance,.. If there are voters who don't trust aspects of the system, they will not trust or support the outcome,... Appearance is the problem.
Then maybe one party shouldn’t keep alleging that the system can’t be trusted without ever providing supporting evidence.

Just one. Show me one evidence that absentee voting process was tampered with on a large scale. Then show how this bill fixes that problem.

I can’t argue with your belief if you can’t establish it has any basis in reality; whereas I can point to election after election being certified by election officials with little or no issues.

This Republican Legislature wants to rid Iowa of voting any time before “Election Day”...they have zero tolerance for any type of “convenience voting” by the people. They are a weird group that believe “exclusion” is the best policy.
Ballot box stuffing should have zero tolerance at least from honest people.

You can just admit that there’s absolutely nothing that can be stated that will change your mind. You have your belief that the process is vulnerable despite zero supporting evidence.

Please understand, that I don't need evidence,.. The fact that I don't trust aspects of the current system is my proof,.. You want people to trust the process?, then you have to address their concerns...

Idiotic:
Iowa House Republicans passed legislation Tuesday that would again constrain the time period and options for early voting in Iowa elections.

The House voted 62-35 to pass House File 2610, with all Republicans in support and all Democrats opposed. The bill now heads to the Iowa Senate, which has advanced a companion bill out of committee.

The bill makes changes to state elections law that would limit challenges to federal candidates’ placement on the ballot, create an earlier deadline for absentee ballots to be received by local elections officials, ban absentee ballot drop boxes and ban ranked choice voting, among other changes.

Democrats vehemently opposed the bill, arguing it would make it harder for certain Iowans to cast a ballot. Republicans said the bill aims to maintain the highest level of election integrity in Iowa.

He said several states, including Colorado, New York, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Maryland and Connecticut, have more restrictive laws.

“This bill expands voting rights by 5 percent. It gives Iowans more time to vote,” Kaufmann said during debate. “It ensures that our vote remains the most secure in the country. And, thank goodness, it prevents activists from deciding who is on the ballot. It prevents activist from subverting the will of the people.”

Representatives for county auditors, the League of Women Voters and AARP Iowa opposed the bill, saying it would make it more difficult for older Iowans and people with disabilities to return their ballots. They also said it has become a constant struggle to educate Iowans about new voting rules and deadlines.

Lawmakers in recent years have shortened Iowa's early voting period and stripped auditors of much of their discretion in running elections in their counties, including restricting their ability to establish satellite in-person early voting sites and mail out absentee ballot request forms.

Rep. Adam Zabner, D-Iowa City, and other Democrats said instances of voter fraud in Iowa are exceeding rare to necessitate such changes to the state’s election laws.

ADVERTISING

The wife of a Northwest Iowa county supervisor was convicted by a federal jury in November of 52 counts of voter fraud in a scheme to stuff the ballot box in her husband’s unsuccessful race for a Republican nomination to run for Congress in 2020.

“There has not been one argument provided for how this bill increases so-called election integrity,” Zabner said. “There has not been one argument provided for widespread voter fraud anywhere in the history of these changes that have made voting more restrictive. All we do know is it makes it harder for Iowans to vote.”

What does the bill do?​

Under the bill, absentee ballots would have to be received by the county auditor by the close of business on the day before Election Day to be counted — one day earlier than the current law. Now, ballots received by the time polls close on Election Day are eligible to be counted.

Auditors would be able to begin mailing out absentee ballots two days earlier to compensate for the earlier deadline. That would give Iowa voters an additional day to mail back absentee ballots. In-person early voting still would begin 20 days in advance of an election.

The bill also would require absentee voters to include their voter identification number when returning their ballots. Current law requires voters to provide those numbers only when they submit a written request for a ballot.

The measure would set new requirements for absentee ballot envelopes, which the Iowa State Association of County Auditors says would require counties to incur significant costs by buying new envelopes. A fiscal note by the nonpartisan Legislative Services Agency estimates the cost increase statewide for new envelope printing at $800,000 for presidential election years and $286,000 for midterm election years.

Kaufmann said absentee ballot drop boxes no longer are needed with the end of the COVID-19 public health emergency. COVID-19 severely disrupted elections in 2020. State voting systems were overwhelmed by long lines and an influx of absentee ballot requests, leading to the use of drop boxes.

Voting rights activists and county election officials, however, note mail delivery may be delayed and take days, whereas a drop box lets voters know for certain their absentee ballots have been received.

Insulating Trump from challenges​

The bill also would prohibit Iowa-based ballot challenges like the one in Colorado that sought to remove former President Donald Trump from the ballot over claims he incited an insurrection. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled this week in a unanimous decision that Trump could remain on the ballot.

Candidates for federal offices could be challenged only on U.S. constitutional requirements on age, residency, citizenship and whether their nominating papers meet all the legal requirements. Iowans could still challenge Trump's eligibility in court.

The bill also would remove a rule that federal candidates must sign a statement indicating they are aware they are disqualified from holding office if they have been convicted of a felony. Trump faces 91 felony charges in four criminal cases.

Kaufmann, who served as a senior adviser to Trump's 2024 Iowa caucus campaign, said legal activists should not be deciding who is eligible to be on the ballot.

Democrats: Bill will make it harder to vote​

Iowa City’s Zabner said such new restrictions on absentee voting could prevent thousands of Iowans from having their ballots counted.

He said 13,883 Iowans during the 2022 general election returned their ballots via an absentee ballot drop box that are secured and monitored around the clock. And 3,000 Iowans returned absentee ballots on Election Day.

About 150 ballots that would have been valid under previous Iowa law were not counted due to new restrictions on absentee voting enacted in 2021, he said.

Rep. Amy Nielsen, D-North Liberty, proposed an amendment to make voting easier and more accessible — including automatic voter registration, expanding early voting to 45 days, allowing county auditors to begin counting absentee ballots earlier, making it harder to remove people from voter rolls, expanding use of ballot drop boxes and allowing counties discretion to establish satellite voting locations.

The amendment was defeated by Republicans on a party-line vote.

“I have yet to heard any kind of argument or example of how drop boxes are not providing integrity in our elections,” said Rep. Heather Matson, D-Ankeny. “To me, that’s a false argument. … I think it’s a terrible idea, in my opinion. What we should he doing is making voting easier; not harder. What we should be thinking about is civic engagement and ways in which we want people to participate in this country.”

This bill is a step in the right direction but much more needs to be done to secure our elections. Election fraud is so out of control in this nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT