ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa House passes bill to ban ballot drop boxes, shorten return deadline

If nobody else has addressed it yet, one of the major components of this bill is the making felons eligible for the ballot. The "Law and Order" Party strikes again.

Just so comprehensively full of shit.
Felons who have served their sentence should be allowed to vote. They have paid their debt to society. But it is interesting that the GOP would push what is usually a liberal policy initiative. Maybe they want to make sure all the January 6 convicts can still vote.

First lovely deflection; feel free to provide a link to where i said that. Or to any member of the party who said it’s secure.

Second, stick to the thread topic or just admit you’ve got nothing here.
(NewsNation) — The heads of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, National Counterterrorism Center and FBI testified before Congress Tuesday about the biggest threats facing this country.

Members of the House grilled DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas about the security at the southern border, where data shows a record 2.38 million migrant encounters in the last fiscal year.

When asked point blank by Republican Rep. Dan Bishop if he thinks the border is secure, Mayorkas said he thinks it is.

p.s. Mayorkas is a member of your party.......

So please forgive when I don't believe you when you claim our elections are secure. I've seen your definition of "secure."

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Felons who have served their sentence should be allowed to vote. They have paid their debt to society. But it is interesting that the GOP would push what is usually a liberal policy initiative. Maybe they want to make sure all the January 6 convicts can still vote.
Should they be allowed to own or buy a gun? They've paid their debt to society afterall.

Reactions: AreWeCross
The average person can't provide you proof. But we can point to mathematical incongruencies.

Prior to 2020, we had xxx number of ballots absentee or mail in etc. In each of those elections a % of those ballots were rejected due to signature issues or incorrectly being filled out etc. And those figures have remained fairly consistent.

Then 2020 hits, and the number of mail-in, absentee, drop box ballots EXPLODES. And the number of ballot rejections actually went DOWN?

So in elections prior to 2020... let's say 1 million people voted absentee/mail in per election. Roughly 3% of ballots would be rejected for various reasons. 2020 hits, and now we have 30 million mail-in/absentee ballots, with less than 1% rejection rate. That is a mathematical impossibility.
So the election officials whose jobs it is to review and approve all of these are wrong? Feels like something that would be easy to prove.
(NewsNation) — The heads of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, National Counterterrorism Center and FBI testified before Congress Tuesday about the biggest threats facing this country.

Members of the House grilled DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas about the security at the southern border, where data shows a record 2.38 million migrant encounters in the last fiscal year.

When asked point blank by Republican Rep. Dan Bishop if he thinks the border is secure, Mayorkas said he thinks it is.

p.s. Mayorkas is a member of your party.......

So please forgive when I don't believe you when you claim our elections are secure. I've seen your definition of "secure."
Once again, I love the deflection. Thanks for conceding the point.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Please understand, that I don't need evidence,.. The fact that I don't trust aspects of the current system is my proof,.. You want people to trust the process?, then you have to address their concerns...

Well, that’s just silly. Of course you need evidence if you want concrete measures taken. It is absurd to expect people to jump to unjustified fear.

The average person can't provide you proof. But we can point to mathematical incongruencies.

Prior to 2020, we had xxx number of ballots absentee or mail in etc. In each of those elections a % of those ballots were rejected due to signature issues or incorrectly being filled out etc. And those figures have remained fairly consistent.

Then 2020 hits, and the number of mail-in, absentee, drop box ballots EXPLODES. And the number of ballot rejections actually went DOWN?

So in elections prior to 2020... let's say 1 million people voted absentee/mail in per election. Roughly 3% of ballots would be rejected for various reasons. 2020 hits, and now we have 30 million mail-in/absentee ballots, with less than 1% rejection rate. That is a mathematical impossibility.
Link to absentee ballot rejection rate going down that much? Because I don't think I believe you.

You are being willfully blind if you don't recognize the potential for fraud with absentee ballots.

Your inability to understand how officials are able to avoid fraud isn’t relevant.

Oregon has had ONLY vote by mail for over twenty years. Are you under the assumption that their elections are rife with fraud?

Lots of guys got their balls blown off so your fat, lazy ass could vote, PERIOD! STFU, have some respect and follow the system that has worked since 1776 and quit bawling about your phucking convenience you whining, entitled prick! Inconvenient, is sitting in a wheelchair at some VA.......
Has nothing to do with respect, you simpleton.

Link to absentee ballot rejection rate going down that much? Because I don't think I believe you.

The number of rejected ballots went way up in 2020, but the rejection rate went down, from a previous rejection rate of .96% to .79%.

So, whereas prior to 2020 you could expect that out of 10,000 ballots, 96 would be rejected, 2020, 79 were rejected.

The numbers mentioned in the post to which you responded appear to be fictitious.

Last edited:
Please understand, that I don't need evidence,.. The fact that I don't trust aspects of the current system is my proof,.. You want people to trust the process?, then you have to address their concerns...
Do you think mandating nightlights because there might be a “bogeyman” out there is a good idea, rifler? I don’t trust bankers…..and they are regulated too….but yet,there are banks everywhere.

It's 8 months until election day. If you can't plan accordingly, you are too far gone to vote anyway........
I cant plan that far in advance…..no one can. Illness, hospitalization, medical tests, weather, car troubles….a plethora of things might go wrong……folks called out of town on emergency or work…Why cant I go over 40 days. Ahead of time (the good ol’ days) ago my leisure and MY schedule and be done with it….and make id easier and more convenient for those of you who “must” or feel the need to vote on election Tuesday?

I cant plan that far in advance…..no one can. Illness, hospitalization, medical tests, weather, car troubles….a plethora of things might go wrong……folks called out of town on emergency or work…Why cant I go over 40 days. Ahead of time (the good ol’ days) ago my leisure and MY schedule and be done with it….and make id easier and more convenient for those of you who “must” or feel the need to vote on election Tuesday?
You really are desperate to cheat AGAIN, aren't you?

This will harm turnout in rural Iowa, but I assume they've figured rural losses will be offset by larger losses in blue parts of the state. I can't wait for those sacks of ballots to be returned several days after the election that are postmarked 3 days before the election.
1,656,733 ballots were cast for president in 2020 in Iowa. How many fewer votes will be cast in 2024? Give me a number and we'll check it out in November...

You really are desperate to cheat AGAIN, aren't you?
Again, see are talkinfg Iowa….and there really has been NO cheating in these elections….a handful and. Most involved Republican ballots…..”cheating” in Iowa is virtually non-existent….Iowa has had strong voting safeguards in place for 100 yrs……or more! County Auditiords do a magnificent job in regulating voting and absentee voting….edxcept now, the Republicans heaved removed these responsibilities from LOCAL election officials and placed them at the STATE level….
Cheatin’….not so much……allowing all eligible voters to vote….nor I support that idea!

Again, see are talkinfg Iowa….and there really has been NO cheating in these elections….a handful and. Most involved Republican ballots…..”cheating” in Iowa is virtually non-existent….Iowa has had strong voting safeguards in place for 100 yrs……or more! County Auditiords do a magnificent job in regulating voting and absentee voting….edxcept now, the Republicans heaved removed these responsibilities from LOCAL election officials and placed them at the STATE level….
Cheatin’….not so much……allowing all eligible voters to vote….nor I support that idea!
No, we are talking about you...someone too weak, lame, fat or stupid to make election day work like everyone else has for almost 250 years!

• Haha
Reactions: globalhawk
No, doesn't have to do with voting, this provision is specifically tailored so that if Donald Trump is a convicted felon he will still be eligible to be on the ballot in November.

You really are a little obnoxious prick, aren’t you? Phuque ya….do what you want and call it FreeDumb!
Well, if being truthful is being obnoxious I guess I am. Someone once said, 'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.' Whine, whine, whine...give me this and do that for me. You epitomize the trash with your hand out the author was referencing as those who want, want, want, want....... Too phucking lazy to get to the a polling place on a day you've known about for years.

Ask and ye shall receive from MIT

In this exploration, we see that absentee/mail-ballot rejection rates dropped significantly in 2020 compared to 2016, dropping the most in states that had previously erected high barriers to the use of mail ballots. Pre-processing laws and deadlines for the receipt of mail ballots didn’t seem to have much effect on rejection rates. Policy choices that did seem to matter were requiring multiple forms of identification with a returned ballot, which significantly increased rejection rates, and allowing ballots with administrative deficiencies to be “cured,” which significantly decreased rejection rates.

The number of rejected ballots went way up in 2020, but the rejection rate went down, from a previous rejection rate of .96% to .79%.

So, whereas prior to 2020 you could expect that out of 10,000 ballots, 96 would be rejected. Whereas in 2020, 79 were rejected.

The numbers mentioned in the post to which you responded appear to be fictitious.
I didn't have the data in front of me at that moment, but thank you for confirming the premise.

Your inability to understand how officials are able to avoid fraud isn’t relevant.

Oregon has had ONLY vote by mail for over twenty years. Are you under the assumption that their elections are rife with fraud?
I am not but I do assume after 20 years they're better at it than most other states

In this exploration, we see that absentee/mail-ballot rejection rates dropped significantly in 2020 compared to 2016, dropping the most in states that had previously erected high barriers to the use of mail ballots. Pre-processing laws and deadlines for the receipt of mail ballots didn’t seem to have much effect on rejection rates. Policy choices that did seem to matter were requiring multiple forms of identification with a returned ballot, which significantly increased rejection rates, and allowing ballots with administrative deficiencies to be “cured,” which significantly decreased rejection rates.
Did you read the complete article to understand why?

Why not just have election season start at foot all season and end with a national championship game?

Those are the numbers artradley posted, which is nowhere near what you were claiming in your initial post. Thank you for posting the link. But again, nothing in this whole thread can prove that absentee voting isn't safe, secure, and accurate.

Those are the numbers artradley posted, which is nowhere near what you were claiming in your initial post. Thank you for posting the link. But again, nothing in this whole thread can prove that absentee voting isn't safe, secure, and accurate.
I was providing a made-up example, I knew the rejection rate went down, but I didn't have the figures in front of me.

The point remains, when Apple tests their beta iOS they discover a certain amount of issues per device. When they roll out the full update that number skyrockets with millions or billions of downloads. It NEVER decreases per capita on the full updates that's why you get version .1, .2,.3 etc

Don't know, but this moves things closer to providing the appearance of a more secure election,... USPS is accessible to all,..
So, no, this doesn't address voter fraud.
By the way, do you doubt the legitimacy of any recent election in Iowa? If us Dems were cheating, don't you think we'd throw in a win or two?

Kaufmann said Iowa voters still could deposit ballots “in blue drop boxes that are in every city in every county in the state of Iowa” — referring to U.S. Postal Service mailboxes.

He also asserted having “documentable proof” that ballot drop boxes were installed in an alley, a Hy-Vee and outside a courthouse. “That is not secure,” Kaufmann said.
Do you think Kaufmann should be removed from office for all of the fraud that occurred under his watch?

I was providing a made-up example, I knew the rejection rate went down, but I didn't have the figures in front of me.

The point remains, when Apple tests their beta iOS they discover a certain amount of issues per device. When they roll out the full update that number skyrockets with millions or billions of downloads. It NEVER decreases per capita on the full updates that's why you get version .1, .2,.3 etc
Now you're spouting nonsense trying to defend your original made-up numbers. I'll just be prepared to be skeptical of any "facts" you present from now on.

Now you're spouting nonsense trying to defend your original made-up numbers. I'll just be prepared to be skeptical of any "facts" you present from now on.
I never even gave factual numbers I used xxxs if you can't figure out that I was providing a contextual example rather than a factual one, I can't help you.

Not saying you’re wrong but do you have a link to the % going down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT