ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Tourney

Also not mentioned that Iowa State wins the team title.

Their first Big 12 title since 2009, and just the 4th since the conference was formed in 1997. I believe it's their 17th (?) conference tournament title in program history.

At least someone from the state of Iowa had success in wrestling this year, even if we look down on every other conference here in the Big Ten (because that's what grows the sport of wrestling and what not......)

They won't.

The thing that's amazing is Carr will likely be one of the 4/5 best wrestlers to attend ISU and only have 1 title to show for it.

I'm also puzzled why the ISU coaches don't know their wrestlers strengths and weaknesses well enough to know when to choose up/down/neutral during close matches.
Lucky for them that the Big12 is dogshit.
I'm not sure about the "one of the 4/5 best to attend ISU"
He'd be behind:
Cael Sanderson
Dan Gable
Ben Petersen
Nate Carr
Tim Krieger
Jake Varner
In addition, there are many other 2-time champs...would all of them be ahead of David? e.g. Chris Taylor, Chuck Jean, etc

I'm not sure about the "one of the 4/5 best to attend ISU"
He'd be behind:
Cael Sanderson
Dan Gable
Ben Petersen
Nate Carr
Tim Krieger
Jake Varner
In addition, there are many other 2-time champs...would all of them be ahead of David? e.g. Chris Taylor, Chuck Jean, etc
Put it this way...had some of the biggest hype.

Also not mentioned that Iowa State wins the team title.

Their first Big 12 title since 2009, and just the 4th since the conference was formed in 1997. I believe it's their 17th (?) conference tournament title in program history.

At least someone from the state of Iowa had success in wrestling this year, even if we look down on every other conference here in the Big Ten (because that's what grows the sport of wrestling and what not......)
Keep in mind that team lost to Iowa this year.

ISU is maybe top 5 in B1G.
That's the gap between Big12 and B1G.

i do think props are deserved for metcalf and dsj for the coaching job they have done with isu middleweights. 141-165 wrestle really tough, talented and well coached.
Perhaps, but those two are getting a lot of criticism from some Clone fans in regards to having certain wrestlers not choosing advantageous positions in close matches and overtime.

Of course...the built-in excuse could be they "just wanted to determine the best scenarios for Nattys".
That argument explodes, tho, if it ended up costing a better seed in KC.

Perhaps, but those two are getting a lot of criticism from some Clone fans in regards to having certain wrestlers not choosing advantageous positions in close matches and overtime.

Of course...the built-in excuse could be they "just wanted to determine the best scenarios for Nattys".
That argument explodes, tho, if it ended up costing a better seed in KC.

i would think that decision falls on dresser but yeah that was not smart at all.

Match sucked. Downey took zero shots in 14 minutes and he should have stalled out. Probably sour grapes on my part but IMO the match was everything wrong with wrestling currently.

Well that's not true. Downey took several shots and had Chittum's leg more than once.

Where we might agree is the 2nd period. That period typifies what's wrong with college wrestling. Downey rode for a full two minutes without a single bona fide attempt at turning. New rules were enacted this year to prevent such crappy wrestling, but the ref swallowed his whistle AKA ignored them completely. Total joke.

Why is nobody talking about the biggest issue at B12’s??? Where the hell is everyone? Maybe Half the lower bowl is filled and the curtain is up, WTF?

Why would anyone spend time talking about this? Other than a few schools, there isn't a lot of fan support for wrestling. Conference tournaments are usually empty. Not a new thing. The B1G is an exception thanks to Iowa and PSU but even the B1G didn't draw much of a crowd.

The thing that's amazing is Carr will likely be one of the 4/5 best wrestlers to attend ISU and only have 1 title to show for it.

I don't know why you keep beating this drum. Carr is and has been a really good wrestler but isn't an ISU great.

i do think props are deserved for metcalf and dsj for the coaching job they have done with isu middleweights. 141-165 wrestle really tough, talented and well coached.

Huh? Both guys were top notch blue chippers--Swiderski was #2 P4P and Chittim was #1--and I don't think either are going to be top 10 seeds at the NCAAs. Chittum got beat TWICE this year by a 1 time Iowa HS state champ who's probably a solid 2 years younger than him.

If they were at Iowa, the coaches would be WRECKED for this.

I don't know why you keep beating this drum. Carr is and has been a really good wrestler but isn't an ISU great.

Correct. Also he's just had a guy who is really, really good like O'Toole in his same division at the same time which is unfortunate for him. Great guy and is awesome with kids.

Reactions: Quarts and SPOONER
MM beats KOT.

Big 12 wrestling tourney = tallest midget.
Not a chance. MM is still green and makes mistakes. Watch the OT v Carr match again. Those two are professionals playing chess...MM will be in the hunt but I can see OT majoring MM. No mistakes, confident in every position, and never give an inch to their opponents.

Match sucked. Downey took zero shots in 14 minutes and he should have stalled out. Probably sour grapes on my part but IMO the match was everything wrong with wrestling currently.
Riding time contradicts stalling. How do you ask a person to ride someone for an point but ding them for stalling if they aren't trying to turn. If the bottom guy is actively trying to get away, and stands up, he still has to ride and not allow the escape. You can't always be trying to turn someone. We don't knock the bottom guy for not trying to get a reversal, do we? Riding time means not letting someone escape. Now if the bottom guy is flat and top guy is just laying on top...call stalling

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
Correct. Also he's just had a guy who is really, really good like O'Toole in his same division at the same time which is unfortunate for him. Great guy and is awesome with kids.
Try wrestling in the B1G. This is usually the case at nearly every weight every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hwt1
Huh? Both guys were top notch blue chippers--Swiderski was #2 P4P and Chittim was #1--and I don't think either are going to be top 10 seeds at the NCAAs. Chittum got beat TWICE this year by a 1 time Iowa HS state champ who's probably a solid 2 years younger than him.

If they were at Iowa, the coaches would be WRECKED for this.

can’t you read spooner? i said they were talented. ;)

i get your point on their seeds but they are going to be tough outs with the way they are wrestling and i think they will outperform seeds easily.

Bastida is my favorite Iowa State wrestler. He’s not the best but man he makes it interesting.

I wouldn't bet the house on it but I think the Cuban is the only one that has the athleticism and size to go with Kerk. If he can keep it close and not get the shit ridden out of him, maybe he can win it in the end.

Reactions: Trapper85
I wouldn't bet the house on it but I think the Cuban is the only one that has the athleticism and size to go with Kerk. If he can keep it close and not get the shit ridden out of him, maybe he can win it in the end.
3 pt takedowns gives him a shot. Could only need one. In the past I think he's need at least two because there's no way he's getting away from Kerk imo.

Reactions: PD4thespawn
I agree with you BUTTTTTTTTTT I wouldn't count out Shultz from ASU... he is a BIG dude and he wrestles a lot on the international scene so he sees a lot of different styles and some other very athletic heavyweights...I think Shultz can handle Kerk...or should I say I HOPE he handles Kerk... I mean wrestling means nothing and it doesn't matter what he does because none of it counts anyways.... besides the Brain-fart interview Davis gave at 125 Kerk's was just about as mindboggling ... I wonder just what the hell major these kids are pursuing at PSU ????

can’t you read spooner? i said they were talented. ;)

i get your point on their seeds but they are going to be tough outs with the way they are wrestling and i think they will outperform seeds easily.

They are talented but that isn't because of who coached them--they were talented upon arrival (and good recruits for ISU or anyone). Had Downey beaten Hawkeye Chittum twice this place would be an absolute war zone.

Riding time contradicts stalling. How do you ask a person to ride someone for an opponent but ding them for stalling if they aren't trying to turn.

Sorry but I can't get behind this statement because I disagree with your premise (as do the rules). The top guy shouldn't be "riding," he should be working towards a pin. Holding on, driving out of bounds, mat returning, etc. is not working for a pin. What Downey was doing should be considered garden variety stalling on top. Should have been hit at least 2 times during that period as he made zero attempt to score.

I agree with you BUTTTTTTTTTT I wouldn't count out Shultz from ASU... he is a BIG dude and he wrestles a lot on the international scene so he sees a lot of different styles and some other very athletic heavyweights...I think Shultz can handle Kerk...or should I say I HOPE he handles Kerk... I mean wrestling means nothing and it doesn't matter what he does because none of it counts anyways.... besides the Brain-fart interview Davis gave at 125 Kerk's was just about as mindboggling ... I wonder just what the hell major these kids are pursuing at PSU ????

I'm counting him (Schultz) out from being at the top of the podium, at least. He's plateaued, if not declined in folkstyle. Greco stuff is not going to get it done consistently against top end guys in college.

Also, and I meant to mention this yesterday, Iowa fans shouldn't be casting stones about what's said in front of a microphone. Talk about a lack of self awareness.

Reactions: MilleGinja
Everyone just wait to judge the mighty clowns till after ncaas. Dresser has a good tendency to really crap the bed there.

Guess we'll have to compare it to your next true freshman to win big. S(sp)

The Big 12 is a JV conference in football also. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving, all that’s left are leftover misfit schools that the SEC and Big 10 didn’t want.
That is such an ignorant and disrespectful statement. The level that these athletes train at and compete at is beyond amazing. There may be better teams and athletes out there, but these guys are still pretty amazing. Is the big ten the best in wrestling? Yes!

Personally, I love the smaller schools who get kids to train and chase dreams on smaller budgets and with less perks. It is more in line with what college sports should be about.

Oh yeah - Some SEC schools would consider the Big 10 a JV league in football. They would be wrong and disrespectful to think that. As well as arrogant and ignorant.

His dad is a really class act, and, knowing his upbringing, I believe he is very sincere in his giving glory to God. I'll just leave that conversation right there.
Unless they are three points behind us at the big dance, I'll root for him if they meet in the finals.
There have been a lot of GR World-teamers that couldn't get it done in college folkstyle. Hendrickson handled Schultz fairly well, but had nothing for Bastida Sunday night. I wouldn't get your hopes up on him knocking Kerk off. I hope I'm wrong.

Riding time contradicts stalling. How do you ask a person to ride someone for an point but ding them for stalling if they aren't trying to turn. If the bottom guy is actively trying to get away, and stands up, he still has to ride and not allow the escape. You can't always be trying to turn someone. We don't knock the bottom guy for not trying to get a reversal, do we? Riding time means not letting someone escape. Now if the bottom guy is flat and top guy is just laying on top...call stalling
They should not call stalling for top man until riding time is secured or erased.

That is such an ignorant and disrespectful statement. The level that these athletes train at and compete at is beyond amazing. There may be better teams and athletes out there, but these guys are still pretty amazing. Is the big ten the best in wrestling? Yes!

Personally, I love the smaller schools who get kids to train and chase dreams on smaller budgets and with less perks. It is more in line with what college sports should be about.

Oh yeah - Some SEC schools would consider the Big 10 a JV league in football. They would be wrong and disrespectful to think that. As well as arrogant and ignorant.
Liking smaller schools is fine, as long as people keep it in perspective. “Ignorant and disrespectful” - not sure name calling is needed, but that is when someone comes on the Iowa site and chirps about how great ISU / Dresser are doing and that Brands needs fired for getting 4th in B1G. As others have said, ISU would be lucky to finish in top 5 of B1G.

Regarding football, I’m sure we will hear the same chirping when Iowa finishes 4-7 in new B1G and ISU finishes 1-3 in new MAC Midwest. Look at the new conferences - B1G had 4 teams finish in top 10 including national champ, so right there with SEC. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving, new MAC Midwest would have had 1 team finish in top 15 (AZ at 11). That is weak and not comparable to B1G (5) and SEC (7 in top 15).

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
His dad is a really class act, and, knowing his upbringing, I believe he is very sincere in his giving glory to God. I'll just leave that conversation right there.

Unless they are three points behind us at the big dance, I'll root for him if they meet in the finals.

There have been a lot of GR World-teamers that couldn't get it done in college folkstyle. Hendrickson handled Schultz fairly well, but had nothing for Bastida Sunday night. I wouldn't get your hopes up on him knocking Kerk off. I hope I'm wrong.
Regarding Hendrickson vs Bastida...I thought Hendrickson was TOO aggressive and Bastida reacted. The 2nd td was just desperation.

I'd bet $$$ that AF has an entirely different strategy if the meet again.
Make sure Bastida is forced go to under him, especially if it's scoreless or 0-1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT