ADVERTISEMENT

Big Name Transfer Portal Losses Don't Sting So Bad After All

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
The Hawks lost some of their highest rated players in the offseason to the transfer portal. Fortunately, unlike the Charlie Jones situation, none of the losses seem to have hurt. We are nearly halfway through the season and here's what they've done at their new schools:

4**** Jestin Jacobs slated to start at LB. Left for Oregon and hasn't recorded a stat all season.
3*** Alex Padilla would be Iowa's starter had he stuck around. Bolted for SMU & has thrown 1 pass in 5 games.
4**** Elija Yelverton would have been Iowa's 2nd string TE. Bolted for Colorado and has 0 catches.
3*** Terry Roberts would have been starting at CB. Bolted for Miami, then Mich State, and promptly dropped out of school. Zero stats.
4**** Deuce Hogan left two years ago. Might have been in line to start. Bolted for Kentucky and hasn't thrown a pass all year.
4**** Keagan Johnson would have been Iowa's #1 receiver. Bolted for Kansas State yet has only caught 6 passes.
4**** Arland Bruce would have been Iowa's leading receiver. Bolted for Oklahoma State and got rave reviews. He was suspended for the season. No stats.
3*** Justin Britt started several games at Iowa. Would have started this year. Announced he was transferring in March but no one picked him up. I believe he retired from football. No stats.
4**** Carson May might have been in the mix at QB, who knows? He transferred to a last chance U community college, then bounced over to Wyoming where he hasn't thrown a pass all year.

Despite the underperformance of many of the transfers Iowa brought in, the transfer portal has been a net positive this year. With that said, Iowa's transfer portal haul has far underachieved compared to most Power 5 schools.

*Not included are the guys who transferred down a level because they would have never played at Iowa.

The Hawks lost some of their highest rated players in the offseason to the transfer portal. Fortunately, unlike the Charlie Jones situation, none of the losses seem to have hurt. We are nearly halfway through the season and here's what they've done at their new schools:

4**** Jestin Jacobs was slated to start at LB. He left for Oregon and hasn't recorded a stat all season. Hurt?
3*** Alex Padilla likely would be Iowa's starter had he stuck around. Instead, he bolted for SMU where he's thrown 1 pass in 5 games.
4**** Elija Yelverton would have likely been Iowa's 2nd string TE right now. He bolted for Colorado and hasn't recorded a stat all season.
3*** Terry Roberts would have been starting at CB this year. Instead, he bolted for greener pastures at Miami, then to Mich State, and promptly dropped out of school. Zero stats.
4**** Deuce Hogan left two years ago. Had he stuck around, he might have been in line to start right now. He bolted for QB rich Kentucky and hasn't thrown a pass all year.
4**** Keagan Johnson would have been Iowa's #1 receiver. He bolted for high scoring Kansas State yet has only caught 6 passes all year.
4**** Arland Bruce was superior to Nico Ragaini in every way and, if eligible, would have been a starter. He bolted for Oklahoma State and got rave reviews. He was suspended for the season. No stats.
3*** Justin Britt started several games at Iowa and likely would have started this year. Announced he was transferring in March but no one picked him up. I believe he retired from football. No stats.
4**** Carson May might have been in the mix at QB, who knows. He transferred to a last chance U community college, then bounced over to Wyoming where he hasn't thrown a pass all year.

Despite the underperformance of many of the transfers Iowa brought in, it appears the transfer portal was a net positive this year. We'll never know what guys like Padilla or Roberts could have done with this team.

*Not included are the guys who transferred down a level because they would have never played at Iowa.
Still.....Keagan Johnson has more catches at K-State than he would have had at Iowa.

Robert’s wouldn’t have started over Jamari Harris and he knew that… Doesn’t mean he wasn’t a loss, but I think the bigger picture of what you’re showing there is, these transfers aren’t often times working out for these kids and I couldn’t put a percentage on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find out it’s 50% or more… However I’m pretty pleased with our transfer portal results as a whole!

So far the best of the ones we had come in would be Feth and Anderson. Will we ever see Parker at OL?

Still.....Keagan Johnson has more catches at K-State than he would have had at Iowa.
You have no idea if that is true. If you make a factual statement then it needs to be factual. If it's just an opinion, it would be given less credibility and would for example be preceeded by in my opinion, or I believe.

You have no idea if that is true. If you make a factual statement then it needs to be factual. If it's just an opinion, it would be given less credibility and would for example be preceeded by in my opinion, or I believe.
Sarcasm, my friend.

Need to spend all the nil budget on proven offensive lineman this off-season
Just take all the starters from Michigan, Georgia, and Notre Dame that have any eligibility left for next year. That should improve our rush offense stats by at least 4 spots in the FBS rankings............

I think this could simply be the typical result of any transfer that isnt a big time, sure fire transfer. If 80% of the transfers dont start year one at their new schools then I would suspect the results you listed.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Look at the stars they had! Pretty damning about ratings services also.
I don't disagree there. Petras is a prime example. Iowa competed with the likes of Nebraska, California, and Syracuse as well as group of 5 teams for him. Not exactly a murderers row of high profile programs to justify the 4 star rating those services gave him.

I don't really care how many Kilroys they put next to his name, the teams that beat us weren't interested, and they certainly weren't wrong. Competing offers by other programs is a way better measure of value as far as I'm concerned.

I don't disagree there. Petras is a prime example. Iowa competed with the likes of Nebraska, California, and Syracuse as well as group of 5 teams for him. Not exactly a murderers row of high profile programs to justify the 4 star rating those services gave him.

I don't really care how many Kilroys they put next to his name, the teams that beat us weren't interested, and they certainly weren't wrong. Competing offers by other programs is a way better measure of value as far as I'm concerned.

Yes and no….sure it works in this case but the number of P5 offers for many, many of our stud NFL draft picks has been very slight indeed. Porta, Hock, Jewel, King, Campbell, Ross, Etc, Etc, Etc…

He’ll athletic freak Van Ness hardly had a plethora of high-end offers

Reactions: sober_teacher
So what's it say about Iowa if all these guys who would've been starting for us are now buried on the depth chart and haven't done sh*t at the other schools they left for?
Very little actually. Because most of those guys wouldn't have been starting at Iowa either, (just stupidity from OP), which is why they left. Right off the top, would Padilla, Hogan, or May be starting at Iowa. Uh NO. Yelverton, NO, again thats why he left. Britt was hurt ALL the time, as was Keagan Johnson supposedly. Bruce (obviously) would have been permanently suspended at Iowa, so all in all just what did we lose?

Very little actually. Because most of those guys wouldn't have been starting at Iowa either, (just stupidity from OP), which is why they left. Right off the top, would Padilla, Hogan, or May be starting at Iowa. Uh NO. Yelverton, NO, again thats why he left. Britt was hurt ALL the time, as was Keagan Johnson supposedly. Bruce (obviously) would have been permanently suspended at Iowa, so all in all just what did we lose?

It’s interesting isn’t it, how often these fellas fight with made up facts.

You could arguably say the 2 best, or those that contributed the most ( Roberts, was hurt often, very good when he played but wouldn’t have started and Jacob’s, stud, would have started, but also hurt a lot…)

Johnson can’t stay healthy and Roberts made an incredibly stupid decision to end his career…

After that….nothing

So @Gonzo Bloor …..I’d say it says, not much

A few updates heading to week 11.

Jacobs - finally healthy at Oregon. Had 6 tackles and a sack last week for a top 5 team.
Padilla - only attempted 5 passes all year for 8-2 SMU. He'd likely be starting at Iowa.
Johnson - had 7 catches for 70 yards against Texas. 12 catches on the season.
Yelverton - with all the injuries at TE this year, he'd probably be starting. 0 catches for Colorado.
Hogan - no stats for Kentucky this year.
May - no stats for Wyoming this year.
Bruce - was kicked off Oklahoma State's team but, by transfer rule, remains on scholarship.

Last edited:
A few updates heading to week 11.

Jacobs - finally healthy at Oregon. Had 6 tackles and a sack last week and is a key contributor for a top 5 team.
Padilla - only attempted 5 passes all year for an 8-2 SMU team. He'd likely be starting at Iowa.
Johnson - had 7 catches for 70 yards against Texas in a battle of Top 20 opponents. 12 catches on the season.
Yelverton - with all the injuries at TE this year, he'd probably be starting now. He has 0 catches for Colorado.
Hogan - no stats for Kentucky this year.
May - no stats for Wyoming this year.
Bruce - was kicked off Oklahoma State's team but, by transfer rule, remains on scholarship.
So many people on this board got caught in the whole NIL is going to ruin college sports and running around like chicken little about how we'd never be able to compete again. Now we're pretty much back in the same place Kirk always is, like his style or not. While it's true we'll probably never offer up the Texas A & M money, let's look at where that's got them. They owe a coach 75 million dollars, and are going to have a really hard time find another one that's going to take them where they really think they think they should be. How many of those players are going to transfer after this year now and look for another program to pay them? You're not going to build an entire team w/transfers, and especially at Iowa. And the guys we lost, and I'll include Jacobs, we aren't missing. Jackson has actually been way better than we could have imagined, and while Jacobs had potential that's all he's ever had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT