ADVERTISEMENT

Big Name Transfer Portal Losses Don't Sting So Bad After All

The most important ability is availability.
Kind of like "in order to finish first, first you have to finish."

While a lot of the thread is conjecture on what these guys could have done had they stayed, I appreciate the effort of compiling this for us.

So far the best of the ones we had come in would be Feth and Anderson. Will we ever see Parker at OL?
You forget about BT Def Player of the Week Nick Jackson.
I know these are older posts, but if you also add in Stilianos from 2022, the emergence of K. Brown with the possibility of having him for 2 more seasons, and still the potential 2024 production from McNamara and All, that adds even more to the argument that Iowa has been a net gain in the portal. And that doesn't even include Deacon, who, although has driven us nuts, is 4-1 as a starter, 5-1 if you include Michigan St, and is coming off the best game of his career.

D. Parker is really the only incoming portal transfer from the past 2 years that has had absolutely no impact on the team. It's just extremely disappointing considering the struggles of the OL and that fact that this will be his only season with Iowa (as far as I know).

Reactions: wyohawk
I know these are older posts, but if you also add in Stilianos from 2022, the emergence of K. Brown with the possibility of having him for 2 more seasons, and still the potential 2024 production from McNamara and All, that adds even more to the argument that Iowa has been a net gain in the portal. And that doesn't even include Deacon, who, although has driven us nuts, is 4-1 as a starter, 5-1 if you include Michigan St, and is coming off the best game of his career.

D. Parker is really the only incoming portal transfer from the past 2 years that has had absolutely no impact on the team. It's just extremely disappointing considering the struggles of the OL and that fact that this will be his only season with Iowa (as far as I know).
I think the portal has been a net positive this year, although primarily on the defensive side with Jackson as he's been huge for the Hawks. Although both QB's have played, they've both been 2 of the worst, statistically speaking in the country. Brown emerged last week but had almost no impact this year up until then. Outside of the QB's there hasn't been a consistent contributor or starter in the group.

I think it's safe to say that evaluating offensive players at Iowa, whether recruits or portal additions is very difficult given the challenges of this staff on that side of the ball. It's never been more obvious that those problems are systemic and the root causes are deeper than any personnel issues of the moment.

While I agree that it's a net gain for Iowa in the transfer portal, I don't think your examples are a good representation.

Stilianos has just 5 catches in 2 years in the program as a portal transfer. Usually you want your transfers to immediately plug holes and be starters, not 4th or 5th stringers for 2 years.

All, unfortunately, does not get another year next year. His Hawkeye career is done.

Brown is still TBD. He has 4 career catches at Iowa in 10 games. Hopefully the coaching staff changes their approach and actually rewards talent (rather than seniority) with playing time.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
While I agree that it's a net gain for Iowa in the transfer portal, I don't think your examples are a good representation.

Stilianos has just 5 catches in 2 years in the program as a portal transfer. Usually you want your transfers to immediately plug holes and be starters, not 4th or 5th stringers for 2 years.

All, unfortunately, does not get another year next year. His Hawkeye career is done.

Brown is still TBD. He has 4 career catches at Iowa in 10 games. Hopefully the coaching staff changes their approach and actually rewards talent (rather than seniority) with playing time.
I think we largely agree; you just have a more pessimistic view.

Stilianos has started 6 games. I'd say that's plugging a hole. I don't think anyone ever expected him to be the typical pass-catcher that so many Iowa TE's have been.

Obviously K. Brown had a slow start to his Iowa career, but I don't know how you could have watched him in the last game and not seen that he, is our most talented WR, and with Vines still being out and Illinois having a defense not nearly as good as Rutgers, I expect him to have a huge game Saturday (well, for an Iowa WR, at least) and many more in the future.

Link to All not returning? I've seen multiple sources state that he can come back in 2024 if he wants to. Hard to believe he's going to the NFL after 2 straight seasons ended early on with injury.

A few updates heading to week 11.

Jacobs - finally healthy at Oregon. Had 6 tackles and a sack last week for a top 5 team.
Padilla - only attempted 5 passes all year for 8-2 SMU. He'd likely be starting at Iowa.
Johnson - had 7 catches for 70 yards against Texas. 12 catches on the season.
Yelverton - with all the injuries at TE this year, he'd probably be starting. 0 catches for Colorado.
Hogan - no stats for Kentucky this year.
May - no stats for Wyoming this year.
Bruce - was kicked off Oklahoma State's team but, by transfer rule, remains on scholarship.
Final tally for the season:

Jacobs - Averaged about 5 tackles per game in the 7 games he played.
Padilla - Completed 5 of 7 passes.
Johnson - 21 catches for 200 yards and 0 touchdowns.
Yelverton - No stats.
Hogan - No stats.
May - No stats.
Bruce - No stats.

I don't disagree there. Petras is a prime example. Iowa competed with the likes of Nebraska, California, and Syracuse as well as group of 5 teams for him. Not exactly a murderers row of high profile programs to justify the 4 star rating those services gave him.

I don't really care how many Kilroys they put next to his name, the teams that beat us weren't interested, and they certainly weren't wrong. Competing offers by other programs is a way better measure of value as far as I'm concerned.
Not really the case at all. He was a very late commit because he was going to Cal and changed mind right before signing day. Other colleges already had their QBs in place. He was very accomplished QB and many on this board as well as me were excited by the possibilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT