ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest mistakes of Fran era

Originally posted by buttermypancakes:

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:
His biggest mistake was not recruiting a PG in the 2015 recruiting class. Baffling. He should have been able to make a decent evaluation of Dickerson early on. Still, even if Dickerson was solid he still needed a PG in the class. Now, Iowa is going to struggle next year (sorry, but they lose one of the better players to put on an Iowa uniform and the best center on the team). The following year they will being playing 2 freshman PG's. Wonderful. That's a recipe for success in the B1G.
Fran did a pretty good job considering Ulis was his target and that fell through last minute. He moved on to lachance, but was late to the party. His third option was still the #1 Juco PG. Things didn't work out but it wasn't "Baffling". As to your prediction I'm feeling good because we all know you're terrible at predicting and don't watch or know anything about the rest of the conference to put anything in perspective.
Watching games is overrated. PF goes by numbers without context and his abnormally strong gut feelings.

His biggest mistake was not recruiting a PG in the 2015 recruiting class. Baffling. He should have been able to make a decent evaluation of Dickerson early on. Still, even if Dickerson was solid he still needed a PG in the class. Now, Iowa is going to struggle next year (sorry, but they lose one of the better players to put on an Iowa uniform and the best center on the team). The following year they will being playing 2 freshman PG's. Wonderful. That's a recipe for success in the B1G.
Fran did a pretty good job considering Ulis was his target and that fell through last minute. He moved on to lachance, but was late to the party. His third option was still the #1 Juco PG. Things didn't work out but it wasn't "Baffling". As to your prediction I'm feeling good because we all know you're terrible at predicting and don't watch or know anything about the rest of the conference to put anything in perspective.
So, it's smart strategy to go "all-in" with one recruit for a PG. That's stupid and yes, absolutely baffling (or you could say inexcusable). You should always have contingency plans. He didn't land Ulis, and didn't get any other PG for the 2015 class. Dickerson was a 2014 scholarship, not 2015. He now has no one at PG for the 2016 season. He will not only have a freshman starting at PG, the backup will be a freshman. I'm not sure why you are so upset about me stating something that is likely (unless Fran offers a late scholarship to a PG). Could the Hawks still have a good season in 2016? Yes, however, it's not a great situation to go into the B1G season with 2 freshman PGs. Would you not agree?

BTW, you were the one who was telling us MSU wasn't very good. I tried to tell you that you never judge MSU by their non-conference play. Izzo always has his team peaking late in the season and they are a dangerous team come tournament time. You also didn't think Maryland was very good. So, your predictive skills weren't real hot outside of Iowa. As for your Iowa prediction, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Originally posted by bustahcap:

Watching games is overrated. PF goes by numbers without context and his abnormally strong gut feelings.
Yes, because watching non-conference games is predictive of how the B1G standings will shake out. LOL. You probably were one of the clowns who was saying MSU sucks before the B1G season, because they struggled in the non-conference.

As for not providing numbers without context, what nonsense. I was the one who was providing context, not like the people who were saying Gesell was a great point guard because of his assist/turnover ratio. Nice try though.

It's too bad all of us aren't as perfect making predictions as you and butter. Would you care to tell me who you predicted would win the Iowa/PSU tournament game? It's funny how you and butter just remember the predictions you get correct, but become the "Absent Minded Professor" on the ones you get wrong.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Legend12:

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
The "refs not calling anything" is not Fran's mistake. Those games usually involve "the refs not calling anything" on Iowa's opponent, at least in conference games. That's not a coaching mistake.

This might be a good week to cut the coaches some slack. With all the problems we are having the best season in 18 years (97). I've been massively pessimistic this year but, in the end, we have 12 conference wins, 21 reg season wins and are headed to an invite to the round of 64, for the first time in 9 seasons. That's worth a "job well done" for this year.
Uh.....no. The 2005-2006 team had a better season.
LOL, it's amazing how short the memories are on here.

Oh and Northwestern State still sucks.

It sounds like Moss and Williams will both be possibly looking at PG time. We do need a strict PG though.

Yes, because watching non-conference games is predictive of how the B1G standings will shake out. LOL. You probably were one of the clowns who was saying MSU sucks before the B1G season, because they struggled in the non-conference.

As for not providing numbers without context, what nonsense. I was the one who was providing context, not like the people who were saying Gesell was a great point guard because of his assist/turnover ratio. Nice try though.

It's too bad all of us aren't as perfect making predictions as you and butter. Would you care to tell me who you predicted would win the Iowa/PSU tournament game? It's funny how you and butter just remember the predictions you get correct, but become the "Absent Minded Professor" on the ones you get wrong.
wink.r191677.gif
I don't have any problem with anyone being wrong as long as they give some decent reasoning. You on the other hand wouldn't STFU about where Iowa was going to finish in the BIG, while at the same time saying you hadn't watched another BIG team play.

And again I never said anything about MSU but if it makes you feel better you can keep telling yourself that.

Originally posted by relishingwinning18:

It sounds like Moss and Williams will both be possibly looking at PG time. We do need a strict PG though.
I get a similar feeling that if some of these guys want playing time they will arrive ready to learn to be Marble type point guards. Wiliams, Moss and maybe even Fleming.

I know it might not be the same, but Melo Trimble was a combo guard.

It starts to add up when one spreads the players out..

pg: Moss, Williams
sg, Fleming, Ellingson
wf: Hutton
pf: Wagner

Could it be done? Worked for Marble and Fran should have a year to accomplish it.

wink.r191677.gif
I don't have any problem with anyone being wrong as long as they give some decent reasoning. You on the other hand wouldn't STFU about where Iowa was going to finish in the BIG, while at the same time saying you hadn't watched another BIG team play.

And again I never said anything about MSU but if it makes you feel better you can keep telling yourself that.
Yes, you made negative comments about MSU, especially after they lost to Texas So., but I can see why you'd want to keep it under your hat now. Like I said, you're the absent minded professor on the predictions you get wrong.

You also wouldn't STFU about where Iowa was going to finish in the B1G. I was wrong about where Iowa would finish but my analysis of the team was spot on (I just overvalued the strength of the conference). The "reasoning" you used to finish so high was they lost to Syracuse and Texas. You must of written a thousand times that Texas was a possible final four team and Cuse was a top 25 team. I told you those teams weren't that good. Neither team made the tournament. I tried to tell you rankings in Nov don't mean anything but you wouldn't listen. Iowa could have went into the season with Josh O as the starting center and started their bench players and you would have predicted them for 10+ conference wins. You are a homer who lacks objectivity.

As for predictions, this was the first year I was way off the mark about Iowa. In 2011 I was about the only one here who predicted Iowa would win 8 games. In fact people thought I was way too high on the win total, saying Iowa would only win 4-5 conference games. I predicted 10 conference wins in 2012. I was off last year predicting 11 wins, which looked good until the late season collapse.

The N. Fla coach could have lifted quotes from me in his analysis of Iowa after their non-conference game. Many of the things he said I had been saying for weeks in my analysis of the team. Mentally weak (an area they have gotten a little better), weak guard play, poor shooting team beyond the arc.

wink.r191677.gif

Yes, you made negative comments about MSU, especially after they lost to Texas So., but I can see why you'd want to keep it under your hat now. Like I said, you're the absent minded professor on the predictions you get wrong.

You also wouldn't STFU about where Iowa was going to finish in the B1G. I was wrong about where Iowa would finish but my analysis of the team was spot on (I just overvalued the strength of the conference). The "reasoning" you used to finish so high was they lost to Syracuse and Texas. You must of written a thousand times that Texas was a possible final four team and Cuse was a top 25 team. I told you those teams weren't that good. Neither team made the tournament. I tried to tell you rankings in Nov don't mean anything but you wouldn't listen. Iowa could have went into the season with Josh O as the starting center and started their bench players and you would have predicted them for 10+ conference wins. You are a homer who lacks objectivity.

As for predictions, this was the first year I was way off the mark about Iowa. In 2011 I was about the only one here who predicted Iowa would win 8 games. In fact people thought I was way too high on the win total, saying Iowa would only win 4-5 conference games. I predicted 10 conference wins in 2012. I was off last year predicting 11 wins, which looked good until the late season collapse.

The N. Fla coach could have lifted quotes from me in his analysis of Iowa after their non-conference game. Many of the things he said I had been saying for weeks in my analysis of the team. Mentally weak (an area they have gotten a little better), weak guard play, poor shooting team beyond the arc.

You say Mark Driscoll said those things? You are wrong.

Originally posted by DanL53:

I get a similar feeling that if some of these guys want playing time they will arrive ready to learn to be Marble type point guards. Wiliams, Moss and maybe even Fleming.

sg, Fleming, Ellingson

Could it be done? Worked for Marble and Fran should have a year to accomplish it.
Weren't there some people here who thought Josh O could be a combo guard? Ditto for Jok? Just because it worked with Marble (and Marble was never really very good as a PG, although his handles did become decent enough by his Sr year). Marble was also a kid who worked his tail off, very athletic, quick, and talented.

I am kind of teasing here, but are you a little pissed that Fran offered Williams? You wanted that scholarship (I know we have 2 now so it changes things) to go to a backup big man. You also didn't think there was any guard left who was worth a scholarship. Is Fran a bad evaluator and do you think made the right call offering a combo guard (afterall, he probably won't get much playing time next season)?

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
Originally posted by Bearhawk0505:
I am appreciative of Fran getting Iowa back to an NCAA level. However, there have been a few mistakes made along the way that have limited and will limit the level the program has and will reach that should be open for discussion. They are;
1.) Not recruiting Monte Morris. This has baffled me and I have complained about it for the past few seasons. The Marble family tried to get Fran to recruit him and he chose not to. I know we were after Ulis, but how do you pass on the opening of a player like Morris? You have to try to sign both if you can.
2.) Not redshirting Oleseni. This was amplified by the fact he barely played his freshman season(wasted year). He would have been a monster next year.
3.) This is more of an opinion, but playing too many players and sticking with players undeserving of minutes far to long.

Now that we have a while to wait until we play, this should make for good conversation. At least we will be fresh for the NCAA and hopefully make a run.
So your first two statements were facts???
Who did you complain about it to???
What did Fran say when you complained about it to him? What did Fran tell the Marble family when he chose not to recruit him?
Did Fran not 'recruit' him or not 'offer' him? Big difference....
Man, you know so much, you need to tell us more oh great one!!!
You know so much, why are you talking to us about it! Get with Fran ASAP so he'll quit making these mistakes!!!
You let Fran make these mistakes when you knew about it 2-3 years ago??? Well, then I blame you for our lose today!!!
Always so funny to see someone lose their shit over a perfectly innocent and mundane comment. Lol

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
I opened this thread anticipating different mistakes. To me it's:

1) Fran's use of timeouts especially in late game situations. I know he doesn't like to do it but just look at Fran's overall record in close games. It's not good. There's a reason most coaches call timeouts to group their team.
2) Controlling his temper. Not only does it reflect poorly on Iowa it has given Fran a poor reputation with the refs. Now we are on the bad end of calls more times than not. Plus, the player's mentality falls apart. They get nervous, make mistakes, and shoot poorly. His job is to go out there and put his team in the best position to win the game regardless of how the refs call the game. Teach the players worry less about the refs.
3) This one I'll probably get ribbed a little and it's purely an opinion but with the nature of B1G reffing, Fran should have taught the players to be more physical when the refs aren't calling anything. Hand check, body the players, block out by any means necessary, and generally disrupt the offensive flow. The refs will stop calling fouls eventually. When Fran had a deep bench we should have been out there playing Mich. St. ball on defense. We need an extra "physical" gear. Again, that's purely an opinion.
What is B1G reffing?

wink.r191677.gif

Haha it went from you were probably one of those people saying this, to I know you said this, this, and this. I don't post much Phantom, you're thinking of other posters. Everyone knows where our weaknesses are/were, they aren't hard to identify. You couldn't understand our strengths in the front court and what we could do defensively to a bunch of small BIG teams.

sg, Fleming, Ellingson

Weren't there some people here who thought Josh O could be a combo guard? Ditto for Jok? Just because it worked with Marble (and Marble was never really very good as a PG, although his handles did become decent enough by his Sr year). Marble was also a kid who worked his tail off, very athletic, quick, and talented.

I am kind of teasing here, but are you a little pissed that Fran offered Williams? You wanted that scholarship (I know we have 2 now so it changes things) to go to a backup big man. You also didn't think there was any guard left who was worth a scholarship. Is Fran a bad evaluator and do you think made the right call offering a combo guard (afterall, he probably won't get much playing time next season)?

Can you keep a straight face when you make up stories?

1) Juco, I looked through the Juco ranks and didn't see a point guard I thought was up to the task.
2) When we talked about a big, we HAD two scholarships, Dickerson had already announced he was transferring. Fran is still on the hunt for a big to back up Woody.

By the way. I'M THE GUY THAT THOUGHT Maryland and Michigan State would struggle this year. Quit picking on other posters for what I said. You're memory isn't perfect and frankly neither are your opinions.

THAT Phantom, is why you get in so many heated battles...you post as if everything you say is right and in reality you are just as big of an idiot as the rest of us.

This post was edited on 3/16 9:21 PM by DanL53

wink.r191677.gif

Haha it went from you were probably one of those people saying this, to I know you said this, this, and this. I don't post much Phantom, you're thinking of other posters. Everyone knows where our weaknesses are/were, they aren't hard to identify. You couldn't understand our strengths in the front court and what we could do defensively to a bunch of small BIG teams.
LOL. You can't be serious. Very few people, outside of myself and a few others, correctly identified our weaknesses. According to people, like yourself, MG was going to have a great year, his problems last year stemmed from his pre-season injury. Clemmons was going to have a big year because he had a great summer. Jok was going to be the number 2 scorer on the team.

"You couldn't understand our strengths in the front court and what we could do defensively to a bunch of small BIG teams."

You've killed the little credibility you had with this statement. NEVER have I criticized the front court of this team. In fact, I've praised them from day 1 this season. I've probably said it a thousand times that Iowa's 3-5 are as good or better than just about any team in the country. I loved this front court. Even when people were trashing Woody, I defended him as an adequate center and the combo of Woody/Gabe as very good. I don't know who you are thinking about but it's not me, which kind of proves my point about you being the absent minded professor.

My criticism from the start of the season is that Iowa's guard play is weak. I've said MG is a slightly below avg PG (or avg at best), Clemmons is a below avg 2G. Early on I said this was a terrible shooting team from beyond the arc, when people like your were saying, "keep shooting 3's, MG". MG started playing better when he started doing what I said, "stop driving to the bucket and throwing up his hail mary layups, stop shooting 3's, run the offense, play good D, shoot the midrange jumper". In other words play within his limited skill set.

I'd compare my analysis of the team (from way back in Nov) against yours any day. I wasn't wrong about anything. Stop using hindsight to act like you knew this team's weaknesses early in the season. You didn't. Myself and the handful of others who pointed out these weaknesses got blasted by people, like yourself, who said we were hating on the Hawks. People went as ballistic as you did when I made the prediction. Which is why you've felt the need to bring up my prediction about a half dozen times in the last month or two, even in posts that had nothing to do with predictions or in which I never posted.

Why can't you just enjoy the success of the team instead of dragging my name into every one of your posts? I've admitted I was way off on my prediction and I've stated numerous times I'm glad I was wrong. If I'm not commenting in a thread leave my name out of it.

wink.r191677.gif

LOL. You can't be serious. Very few people, outside of myself and a few others, correctly identified our weaknesses. According to people, like yourself, MG was going to have a great year, his problems last year stemmed from his pre-season injury. Clemmons was going to have a big year because he had a great summer. Jok was going to be the number 2 scorer on the team.

"You couldn't understand our strengths in the front court and what we could do defensively to a bunch of small BIG teams."

You've killed the little credibility you had with this statement. NEVER have I criticized the front court of this team. In fact, I've praised them from day 1 this season. I've probably said it a thousand times that Iowa's 3-5 are as good or better than just about any team in the country. I loved this front court. Even when people were trashing Woody, I defended him as an adequate center and the combo of Woody/Gabe as very good. I don't know who you are thinking about but it's not me, which kind of proves my point about you being the absent minded professor.

My criticism from the start of the season is that Iowa's guard play is weak. I've said MG is a slightly below avg PG (or avg at best), Clemmons is a below avg 2G. Early on I said this was a terrible shooting team from beyond the arc, when people like your were saying, "keep shooting 3's, MG". MG started playing better when he started doing what I said, "stop driving to the bucket and throwing up his hail mary layups, stop shooting 3's, run the offense, play good D, shoot the midrange jumper". In other words play within his limited skill set.

I'd compare my analysis of the team (from way back in Nov) against yours any day. I wasn't wrong about anything. Stop using hindsight to act like you knew this team's weaknesses early in the season. You didn't. Myself and the handful of others who pointed out these weaknesses got blasted by people, like yourself, who said we were hating on the Hawks. People went as ballistic as you did when I made the prediction. Which is why you've felt the need to bring up my prediction about a half dozen times in the last month or two, even in posts that had nothing to do with predictions or in which I never posted.

Why can't you just enjoy the success of the team instead of dragging my name into every one of your posts? I've admitted I was way off on my prediction and I've stated numerous times I'm glad I was wrong. If I'm not commenting in a thread leave my name out of it.
That's an out and out lie about Woody. You were screaming we had to replace the guy by next year!

wink.r191677.gif

That's an out and out lie about Woody. You were screaming we had to replace the guy by next year!
As is usually the case, you are wrong (kind of like your "rankings don't matter"). Never said it this season. I've been touting the frontcourt of this team from day one. Have I praised Woody? Early on in the season, but have been more critical of his play lately (wanting to see Gabe play more). However, I've never made any comments about replacing him next year. What are you talking about? You are the guy who's been whining about needing another big with the last scholarship. I haven't. I said bigs weren't the problem next season, guards were, particurlarly PG was (or a shooting G who can shoot 3's). Starting to ring a bell?

I've said repeatedly bigs are pretty much a non-factor in college ball. All you need is a guy who can play defense and get some rebounds. Woody isn't very good, but adequate.

It's incredible how you and butter can get these things so screwed up. I've been "screaming" for a better PG all season. I've been screaming for a guard who can shoot a 3. The only criticism I've given Woody has come recently has been on the missed bunnies (and I didn't call him out specifically but the team in general) and the lack of rebounds from him. Still, I've never said "Replace the guy by next year". Maybe you've said it since you have been shouting from the rooftops that Fran needed to use the last scholarship on a backup center. I actually mocked you for wasting a scholarship on a big stiff (which is basically what you were describing).

Who has been the one who said you can play with 4 guards and one big? Umm, that would be me. For the thousandth time I'll state college basketball is about the guards, the bigs are pretty much a non-factor (unless you have someone like Kaminski). Watch the NCAA tournament and watch who wins. It will be the teams who get better guard play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT