ADVERTISEMENT

BigTens Big Dogs of The West Division

I wonder if you even know how stupid you sound?

Tell you what, if Nebraska doesn't win a game after September, I will crawl on all fours to your house, just to lick the sweat off of your balls.

Then I will head to Mike Riley's house and kick him in the balls. gbr
Ha,ha,ha,...
actually laughed out loud

That and all of the other teams that give Iowa trouble are a**holes enough to never beat Wisconsin either (looking at you Nebraska, Northwestern and especially Minnesota).

Northwestern beat Wisconsin twice in the last three years, and have played them even over the past 30 years. Very similar to our record against Iowa over the past 22 years.

I think this is going to be a 2 horse race here between Iowa and Whisky... I don't think Northwestern is going to do much this year as when the goals are loftly the mildcats seem to bow down early.. besides for last year they haven't been that great over the last 5 years and a few dumpster seasons out of nowhere..

Over the past 5 years, Northwestern has averaged 7.4 wins a season, has won two bowl games (Mississippi State and Pitt) while finishing ranked twice (#20 and #23). "Dumpster seasons out of nowhere" were two 5-7 seasons ruined by extensive injuries. Once healthy again, NU finished 10-3 in 2015 with a win over Stanford.

I can show you film of the game and using logic and common sense we can deduce that the only possible reason the referees would make such horrific calls is because they were paid to do so.

and of course, the most logical conclusion would be that Urban Meyer was the one who made those payments to those referees.

to say them refs were just dumb ain't cuttin it where I come from.

And where would that be? Fifth floor, County Hospital?

I wonder if you even know how stupid you sound?

Tell you what, if Nebraska doesn't win a game after September, I will crawl on all fours to your house, just to lick the sweat off of your balls.

Then I will head to Mike Riley's house and kick him in the balls. gbr
Damn Nebber, nah, I'm good. Who are you going to beat after September?!

And you'll have a loss in September btw.

Northwestern beat Wisconsin twice in the last three years, and have played them even over the past 30 years. Very similar to our record against Iowa over the past 22 years.
Well them don't f***ing beat Iowa if you're gonna beat Wisconsin. Last year, you apparently didn't want to beat Wisconsin........

You're welcome.

Over the past 5 years, Northwestern has averaged 7.4 wins a season, has won two bowl games (Mississippi State and Pitt) while finishing ranked twice (#20 and #23). "Dumpster seasons out of nowhere" were two 5-7 seasons ruined by extensive injuries. Once healthy again, NU finished 10-3 in 2015 with a win over Stanford.
In the first game of the season. You also lost to Iowa at home, 40-10 and to Tennessee, 45-6, in the Outback Bowl.

I think this is going to be a 2 horse race here between Iowa and Whisky... I don't think Northwestern is going to do much this year as when the goals are loftly the mildcats seem to bow down early.. besides for last year they haven't been that great over the last 5 years and a few dumpster seasons out of nowhere..

Wisconsin has been nothing but great as their record shows in the BTW division they have been to Indy too many times for me to not want to barf .. I just hope one of these seasons they take a bad nose dive AKA.. MSU last year as history tells you they will begin to have some down years as Iowa has and MSU.. I really compare Iowa, Wis and MSU as they're similar in a lot of ways.. obviously Wis has had the best run out of the 3 programs in the past 10 years but they haven't come close to the recent playoff game like how Iowa and MSU have (Iowa being a yard away from making it) and MSU has made it..

Not to rant and rave but I am.. has anyone recall Wisconsin being in the top 5 in the country the past 10 years? Or even #1 in the polls? I don't recall.. not that means a ton but a way of measuring a program I guess

Anyways- I think the Iowa-Wisconsin winner will claim the west and I like our chances at these cheese turds.. we have won something like 5/6 or 4/5 games on the road and I hope this year we can actually put a pasting on them.. but it will probably be a very close game as usual

Wisconsin has been nothing but great as their record shows in the BTW division they have been to Indy too many times for me to not want to barf .. I just hope one of these seasons they take a bad nose dive AKA.. MSU last year as history tells you they will begin to have some down years as Iowa has and MSU.. I really compare Iowa, Wis and MSU as they're similar in a lot of ways.. obviously Wis has had the best run out of the 3 programs in the past 10 years but they haven't come close to the recent playoff game like how Iowa and MSU have (Iowa being a yard away from making it) and MSU has made it..

Not to rant and rave but I am.. has anyone recall Wisconsin being in the top 5 in the country the past 10 years? Or even #1 in the polls? I don't recall.. not that means a ton but a way of measuring a program I guess

Anyways- I think the Iowa-Wisconsin winner will claim the west and I like our chances at these cheese turds.. we have won something like 5/6 or 4/5 games on the road and I hope this year we can actually put a pasting on them.. but it will probably be a very close game as usual
Guess we will find out October 21st..

Wisconsin moved to the 34 with great success. No reason Nebraska can't. You can't just look at a roster and say, "That'll never work". If that were the case, Robert Gallery would have remained a TE and Dallas Clark a LB.

A motivated coach+motivated players can accomplish a lot...

Reactions: Carlton
Says he won't be going to Nebraska after JuCo. Why do guys do this? A school stays with a kid right up until enrollment time, then, when the kid doesn't qualify, he penalizes the school after finishing JuCo. Seems odd.
Did you read what he said about the Nebraska coaches and how they misled him and were honest?

Here is the way I would rate the BIG10 West favorites in order this year....

Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois
Purdue[/QUOTE

Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Iowa
Purdue
Illinois

Hope I am wrong.

Wisconsin moved to the 34 with great success. No reason Nebraska can't. You can't just look at a roster and say, "That'll never work". If that were the case, Robert Gallery would have remained a TE and Dallas Clark a LB.

A motivated coach+motivated players can accomplish a lot...
True, but Wisconsin had a good defense before it switched to the 3-4...

Reactions: badger-007
Nebraska bets on transfer QB Tanner Lee
Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY Sports Published 4:05 p.m. ET July 19, 2017

LINCOLN, Neb. — Almost every time Tanner Lee was knocked down at Tulane, he’d get up. And he was knocked down plenty: Tulane allowed a combined 51 sacks in 2014 and 2015, Lee’s two seasons as the Green Wave’s starting quarterback, not to mention the near-incalculable number of times he was hit, pressured, shoved, smashed and crushed behind one of the nation’s most porous offensive lines.

But he wasn’t unbreakable. Lee missed time due to a concussion. Had a shoulder ailment — a joint separation suffered when falling to the turf, smashed flat by 300-pound linemen — and multiple injuries to his hand. One, a broken index finger, came when his digit became entangled in a helmet; the other, to his ring finger, needed an inserted pin to be stabilized.

“I got a hit a lot, yeah,” Lee said of his time at Tulane, in a drastic understatement: Lee was a tackling dummy, easy prey for defensive predators salivating at the idea of deconstructing the Green Wave’s flimsy offense. And he struggled, predictably.

During his two playing seasons at Tulane, encompassing his redshirt freshman and sophomore campaigns, Lee compiled barely more touchdowns, 23, than interceptions, 21. He completed little above half of his attempts. Only once in 19 games did he pass for more than 300 yards.

“I think I learned so much, so quickly, especially during the two years that I played, that it made me a 10-times better player — just more mature, a better leader,” he said. “We went through so much, I guess, in tough games and tough times, that I learned a lot. I learned a ton.”

Lost among the sacks, incomplete throws, broken fingers and humbling losses was potential. Tulane’s coaches saw it; his peers, counselors and instructors at the Manning Passing Academy, where Lee is an annual attendee, saw it; Lee himself even felt it, with a growing sense of confidence tempered by the inevitable setbacks that ensued with the Green Wave.

“I always felt like I was just as good as those guys in high school,” Lee said. “Whether I had stars or numbers or recognition or not, I don’t know if that really mattered to me. I just wanted to be able to show it.”

This helps in part to explain why he’s here, at Nebraska, weeks away from ascending to the second-most scrutinized public position in this state, behind only third-year coach Mike Riley — that of the Cornhuskers’ starting quarterback.

OK, so the idea doesn’t seem to compute. Tulane, then Nebraska?
A quarterback who did little on the field to draw attention with the Green Wave is now — according to quarterback gurus and current Football Bowl Subdivision coaches who spoke with USA TODAY Sports — one of the nation’s premier quarterback talents?

But Lee is absolutely an elite NFL prospect, with the arm, size and smarts to shine in the Cornhuskers’ style of play, and this is how transfers are supposed to work. Nebraska desperately needed a quarterback; Lee, evaluating his options after Tulane hired Willie Fritz and his option-based offense, was equally desperate to find the right scheme, the right coaching staff and the right fit.

“I’ve definitely always dreamed of being able to play at a school like this,” Lee said. “That’s always what I really wanted. Going back to being 12 years old, this is what you sort of envision.”

Now, one year after arriving on campus, Lee stands poised to capture the potential once seen only in flashes at Tulane — giving Nebraska not just an elite quarterback prospect but installing into place a piece missing during Riley’s first two seasons.

“We’ve got a lot of high expectations, let’s put it that way,” said Nebraska offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf.

While Lee had options following his decision to leave Tulane following the 2015 season — notably LSU, which was in dire need of its own pro-style quarterback — Nebraska long held the inside track. Three people close to Riley clued the Cornhuskers’ coaching staff into the transfer:

The first was his former colleague with the San Diego Chargers, Billy Devaney, who is now Nebraska’s director of player personnel. The second was the Cornhuskers’ wide receivers coach, Keith Williams, who held the same position at Tulane when Lee was the Green Wave’s starting quarterback. The third was ESPN reporter Chris Mortensen, who had seen Lee throw at the Manning Passing Academy in the summer of 2015 and came away impressed.

Devaney, a longtime NFL personnel executive, told Riley he’d found in Lee his next quarterback recommendation. Williams said Lee was terrific; on the field and off, he’s a winner. Mortensen, who is close with Lee’s family, recommended they speak with Nebraska.

Riley and Langsdorf reviewed Lee’s game film and came away with a secure assessment: This guy can sling it. He can hit all the throws in our playbook. He’s got the quick release we want. Most of all, he’s a veteran, he’s not some fresh-faced rookie. This is our guy, they decided.

“That experience of playing in a college football game is so valuable. Being in the game is not going to be new for him,” said Riley.

Sitting was new, however. As a transfer, Lee spent last season piloting Nebraska’s scout team, running the opposition’s offense from Monday through Friday before taking the reins of the Cornhuskers’ system during the program’s unique Sunday scrimmages — a weekly chance for backups and redshirts to take snaps in the team’s scheme. In drips, Nebraska’s primary contributors would make their way to these practices, drawn in large part to witness how well Lee could handle the offense.

They saw what Riley called “defining moments.” Lee hitting a receiver in the corner of the end zone. Unfurling a deep post down the numbers. Showing a quick decision-making process that’s “almost as good as I’ve been around,” Riley said.

“I don’t know anything about quarterbacks, except that when he throws it looks good,” added senior linebacker Chris Weber. “He’s a passer. Growing up and watching Nebraska football, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a passer like him.”

Internally, at least, the hype machine has been in full swing since Lee’s first days on campus. Welcome to Nebraska, after all — you’re not at Tulane anymore.

“He’s under the microscope, like everyone is in Nebraska football,” Langsdorf said. “I think he’s been very humble in his approach. That part of it is all really positive. It’s not an ego thing, being the Nebraska quarterback. He’s just one of the guys.”

With one profound difference: Lee is built for the next level. Already, Nebraska coaches have considered the possibility that he’ll be a one-and-done recruit — a player who transfers in, redshirts and then flourishes before hopping into the NFL, leaving an additional year of eligibility on the table. It’s a trade the staff will take, of course.

“I can’t be naïve about it,” Riley said, “because I’ve got to have a contingency. Just know that’s a possibility. And that’s not a bad thing.”

It may seem to be happening so fast — the quick step from transfer to redshirt to starter to, if the plan comes together, the best quarterback prospect in Nebraska’s proud history. That Lee brings just middling on-field results into his junior season only adds to the confusion.

But this marriage, born from a mixture of necessity and timing, will yield unexpected results. Nebraska has placed its chips behind Lee, fully engaged in the idea that this player — a statuesque, pocket-passing quarterback in the mold of Matt Moore, Sean Mannion and Riley’s past pupils at Oregon State — will lift this team to a Big Ten West Division title and into the mix for a New Year’s Six bowl.

Lee, meanwhile, has found his opportunity. And what was once seen just in small pockets of college football, by only those clued into a burgeoning NFL talent on the Group of Five ranks, may soon become common knowledge: Lee, perhaps like Nebraska as a whole, is poised to capture his potential.

“If I can just make the most of this opportunity at Nebraska hopefully the rest can just take care of itself,” Lee said. “And I’m just trying to kill it. Because I don’t think a lot of people bounce back in my situation. So I’m really lucky.”

You want to read it. Don't deny it.
The only thing I care to read about the Cornhuskers is the final score. Do you remember what it was? I do. 40-10.

We had an infestation this summer of Cornhusker fans and then when the rash of decommits started.... our board was kind of quiet of Nebraska fans for a little while. Now they're starting to trickle back over and pretend its 1995 again

Congrats on being Minnesota

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
You want to read it. Don't deny it.
He may be good, but his statistics at Tulane were literally worse than Jake Christiansen's at Iowa. Talent and ability to perform on the field are not always the same thing. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

He may be good, but his statistics at Tulane were literally worse than Jake Christiansen's at Iowa. Talent and ability to perform on the field are not always the same thing. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Here is another thing people forget with this game. Unlike Iowa ISU which is played early on in Sept when its nice out we always play Huskers in final game of the year. Which means rosters can look different due to injury. Point and case look at Iowa's passing game looked good and promising early on then injuries happened to our top 2 pass catchers and really hindered our very good QB from throwing as much as he wanted. Then as we saw in 15' with poor late November weather can be more difficult to pass. As you've said guess we will just wait and see but excuse us Iowa fans for not anointing Lee the next great Big 10 QB before we see him play.

Here is another thing people forget with this game. Unlike Iowa ISU which is played early on in Sept when its nice out we always play Huskers in final game of the year. Which means rosters can look different due to injury. Point and case look at Iowa's passing game looked good and promising early on then injuries happened to our top 2 pass catchers and really hindered our very good QB from throwing as much as he wanted. Then as we saw in 15' with poor late November weather can be more difficult to pass. As you've said guess we will just wait and see but excuse us Iowa fans for not anointing Lee the next great Big 10 QB before we see him play.
Huskers love to hate Tommy Armstrong. When you put his numbers next to Lee's, they are identical, right down to the interceptions...in a much tougher conference.

there's no reason to think we can't beat Ohio State.
our biggest game will be against Wisconsin...
our biggest challenge will be Penn State.
our biggest revenge will be against Michigan State.

2 losses could win either division... but keep in mind.
Iowa lost 3 games last season....
2 were to the two teams that played in the Championship game... the other being a shady game against Northwestern.

in other words.... we're not that far off from a perfect 9-0...
and we're not that far removed from the 8-0 we had in '15.

to me... I think too many people are writing off the Ohio State game as a loss.
I don't think its fair to the players on this year's team.
and quite frankly.. its a little disrespectful.

"There's no reason to think we cant beat Ohio State this season." Youd be fun to tailgate with man.

The only thing I care to read about the Cornhuskers is the final score. Do you remember what it was? I do. 40-10.

We had an infestation this summer of Cornhusker fans and then when the rash of decommits started.... our board was kind of quiet of Nebraska fans for a little while. Now they're starting to trickle back over and pretend its 1995 again

Congrats on being Minnesota

Dude, they ALWAYS party like it's 1995

Reactions: Ree4 and terrehawk
Wow with stats like those he is a can't miss superstar.

During his two playing seasons at Tulane, encompassing his redshirt freshman and sophomore campaigns, Lee compiled barely more touchdowns, 23, than interceptions, 21. He completed little above half of his attempts. Only once in 19 games did he pass for more than 300 yards.

I have a very low opinion about people who gamble... and an even lower opinion of those who gamble on sports.

it is because of these people we saw Ronnie Harmon fumble 4 times in the first half of the Rose Bowl.

I love to gamble. Does this mean I need to block you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT