ADVERTISEMENT

Blaise Gunnerson will end up a Four Star & the #1 ranked player in Iowa

I’ve been told by UN fans for years on OUR BOARD that Iowa isn’t their rival, so I’m wondering why this thread exists and why I should care?

And there are still tons of Nebraska fans in THIS BOARD that claim it’s always Iowa fans starting the Nebraska threads when there is plenty of proof that is not the case.

We have to remember that Nebraska is just coming into the final few weeks of what they dominate every season - The Offseason! Then reality comes crashing down.

LOL at OP. Logan Jones is the best recruit in the state and its not close. Logan is Tristan Wirfs strong. 350x3 as a high school junior at the hang clean. If the recruiting services do suddenly rank Gunnerson #1 they’ll simply be wrong. I’m half surprised Jones isn’t a 5 star but then again he’s not trying to prove himself at camps like “the opening” like Gunnerson because his recruitment has been over for 6 months already

Agreed. Logan is a great recruit. After watching his tape he man handles anyone he is up against.

Don’t get me wrong Gunnerson is a good recruit for Nebraska. He will probably start day one. Gunnerson would not start day one at Iowa.

Reactions: BBHawk
This guy is one of my favorites over here because of how boisterous his predictions are...ya gotta love it. But this is rich, stating “Nebby is on to Plan C” with the ‘20 Class.

LMAO - did you just attempt to talk sh*t about recruiting? Iowa’s whole class is made up of kids that Nebraska (or most successful Top 50 programs) haven’t and won’t offer. That’s 80% of your class; we wouldn’t even bother...and we offer 400+.

I know Iowa thinks they can develop their way above their 8 win regular season ceiling, and once every 10-12 years that happens, but that’s quite the cute little comment there, @HawkNole09.

You’ll long wish for the days of Mike Riley, when things were so much fun for that stretch of 5 years. The truth is that Nebraska owns Iowa. Always have. 29-17 overall. Iowa has 2 wins since WWII against coaches not named Mike Riley.

Do you all really think that suddenly a team that can’t recruit better than 80% MAC level prospects, despite developing them very well, will ever truly compete with a Blueblood like Nebraska that lives in the Top 20 range.

I know it’s a tough, tough pill to swallow; but recruiting matters. It matters as much as development. Iowa might develop with the very best of them, but you’ll never break the ceiling of 7/8 regular season wins (beside once every decade) unless you find a way to recruit better than you have. 39th place....51st place...it’s all the same, equals 7/8 wins on the regular season schedule, with a weak non con lineup none the less.

Nebraska owns Iowa, save for the three years your favorite coach Mike Riley did his best to destroy the program.

Osborne owned Iowa. Solich owned Iowa. Hell, even Bo Pelini, as inept as he was still almost went undefeated all four years against Iowa. 3-1 should have been 4-0, but turnover Tommy Armstrong found a way to throw 4 interceptions that day despite the Hawkeyes going 0-11 on third down, and Iowa lucked out to win it.

Nebraska recruits better. Osborne consistently beat Iowa. Solich consistently beat Iowa. Pelini consistently beat Iowa. Wanna know why? Because they recruited better.

Riley sure his best to instill some confidence in the Hawkeye nation that they’ll never lose to Nebraska again, but Riley is gone. The first coach that didn’t own Iowa, is gone.

In comes Frost, with a true freshman QB and not a single draftable player, into Kinnick vs a Hawkeye team loaded with draft talent and it takes a walk off field goal to get it done.

Nebraska has always owned Iowa. They recruit better. That’s how it works. Now, Riley is long gone. Things will return to the way they were, before Riley. Where every coach prior owned Iowa. Osborne. Solich. Pelini. All owned Iowa.

Frost, who is by far and away the best recruiter of the bunch, will continue to do what every coach prior (besides Riley) has done to Iowa. Owned them. Tick tock, friends. That 4-8 team and the leftovers of the Riley era are in the rear view mirror. We have always recruited well at Nebraska, and have always owned Iowa...except for the Riley years. Now Frost will return to doing what every coach has ever done to Iowa. I will truly miss the bravado on this board, though. You guys and your ever optimistic off season Kirk-is-gonna-get-it-done-this-year, to the fire-Kirk-he-sucks when you ultimately win 7 or 8 regular season games, is so much fun to watch unfold.

Man I love this board.

Wow. You're an angry little dude.

This whole collection of rambling nonsense is such a perfect combination of funny, dumb and factual incorrectness. I can't imagine how much it must be eating away at you, knowing that your team has been owned by a team you apparently despise. If any Hawkeye fan went on a rant like yours on an Iowa State board in the middle of our 5-game losing streak to them way back when, I would have been terribly embarrassed.

Bottom line - enough of your Recruiting blah blah blah Riley blah blah blah History blah blah blah Frost blah blah blah......you want respect from us, then earn it on the football field.

Michael Chase - ya I’m sure you are a real firefighter too you dope. Meet a woman. Go play golf. See a movie. Is your life that pathetic that you are that obsessed with whether or not some 18 year old is going to be a 4 star? I hate myself for judging people but man you sir are a freaking loser.

Michael Chase - ya I’m sure you are a real firefighter too you dope. Meet a woman. Go play golf. See a movie. Is your life that pathetic that you are that obsessed with whether or not some 18 year old is going to be a 4 star? I hate myself for judging people but man you sir are a freaking loser.
He's living in his mom's basement...

Iowa did try to get back in it with Gunnerson late...clearly someone they would have liked to have.

Would Iowa have taken Gunnerson? Sure

It was pretty well known early on it was either Nebby or ISU, so it’s not like this was some huge battle with Iowa and Nebraska.

Bollers is another story.

In comes Frost, with a true freshman QB and not a single draftable player, into Kinnick vs a Hawkeye team loaded with draft talent and it takes a walk off field goal to get it done.

Funny... I seem to remember your lord and savior telling the entire world that Iowa pushed Nebraska around. The game wasn’t as close as the score board indicated. Iowa pushed Nebraska around like it was playing a low level MAC team.

Iowa was the far superior team and even Scott Frost knew it.

Guess what? This Hawkeye team is still loaded with draft talent. So you should probably wait until Nebraska beats Iowa to run your mouth.

Iowa is bigger, stronger and faster than Nebraska. No amount of those Nebraska Football pump up videos posted on Facebook is going to change that. You guys did the same type of crap under Riley. It’s all smoke and mirrors until you prove otherwise.

Funny... I seem to remember your lord and savior telling the entire world that Iowa pushed Nebraska around. The game wasn’t as close as the score board indicated. Iowa pushed Nebraska around like it was playing a low level MAC team.

Iowa was the far superior team and even Scott Frost knew it.

Guess what? This Hawkeye team is still loaded with draft talent. So you should probably wait until Nebraska beats Iowa to run your mouth.

Iowa is bigger, stronger and faster than Nebraska. No amount of those Nebraska Football pump up videos posted on Facebook is going to change that. You guys did the same type of crap under Riley. It’s all smoke and mirrors until you prove otherwise.

Yeah, if you have a brain you know to mouth off after AFTER you win.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
While I know that the original poster is obviously a troll ... it really doesn't matter where Gunnerson ends up landing on the subjective in-state rankings. I'm sure that he's a perfectly exceptional player - this is a feather in the cap of the Huskers for landing such a fine player. However, I'd also give the Hawk staff a tip of the cap for recruiting Gunnerson the "right way" ... they were on him early, even though I believe he grew up in more of an ISU-household, and they kept a positive sales pitch the entire time (staying true to who they are).

As things transpired, the Hawks still landed guys like Witt, Van Ness, and Black ... each who have similar body-types to Gunnerson. Given Iowa's track record for player development ... I'd infer that Iowa's DE-situation will turn out perfectly good.

Besides, back in the state rankings for '16 ... John Raridon, a Husker legacy recruit, was the #1 recruit in the state ... and yet he's really done little to nothing for the Huskers to date. This either points to the state rankings having little-to-no actual value ... or that the Huskers have been terrible at player development. Truth be told ... a little of both probably figures into the story here. To throw an olive branch to Husker fans ... some of the fault of player development lands at the feet of Riley ... of course, the perplexing thing there is that Riley was supposedly renown for his player-development skills.

I have a good friend from Carroll, who knows the family very well. According to him, Nebraska showed far more love than either Iowa or Iowa State. They said in the end it was Nebraska’s effort that persuaded the kid.

He thinks Frost is targeting the best Iowa kids and just going ape shit over them to piss off Iowa and make a point.

I have a good friend from Carroll, who knows the family very well. According to him, Nebraska showed far more love than either Iowa or Iowa State. They said in the end it was Nebraska’s effort that persuaded the kid.

He thinks Frost is targeting the best Iowa kids and just going ape shit over them to piss off Iowa and make a point.
Of course, one of the things about Iowa ... is that we tend not to like recruits who enjoy being "recruited" too much. I believe that it is an important part in how Iowa tries to filter out the players who truly "fit" the program. If feeling all the extra "love" is what made the difference ... rather than the actual CONTENT of what the program had to offer ... then I honestly am skeptical about how well the kid would have fit within the Hawk program.

Of course, one of the things about Iowa ... is that we tend not to like recruits who enjoy being "recruited" too much. I believe that it is an important part in how Iowa tries to filter out the players who truly "fit" the program. If feeling all the extra "love" is what made the difference ... rather than the actual CONTENT of what the program had to offer ... then I honestly am skeptical about how well the kid would have fit within the Hawk program.

100%. If the kid and family are concerned about being wooed by a program, those are the types of personalities that don’t seem to thrive very well at Iowa.

Reactions: Cardsnhawks
Truth is, he’s not even close to the same player he was as a sophomore. No junior film and a season missed because of injury. He’s a legit 6-5 250 lbs now and an incredible athlete for that size. The 5.6 rating isn’t accurate, and will improve.

He also fits the mold of the rare outside pass rushing presence that’s big enough to stop the run but mobile enough to disrupt in the passing game. There is a reason why he was coveted by Notre Dame (visited twice), and had he not been injured there would have been much more competition for his commitment.

Iowa, and even more so ISU (but they’re the little brother in the state so not really), let one get away here. I realize the Hawkeyes have 7 Defensive Ends committed, but looking closer at the list, only Logan Jones appears to be someone who was highly sought after.. the other 6 are your usual Iowa recruitment battles of ISU and Minny and KState type schools, then a bunch of MAC or Dakota or FCS types.

It appears Nebraska will continue to have a presence cherry picking the best talent out of the state each year. TJ Bollers has already visited Lincoln four times.
Let’s see where Gunnerson actually signs to play.

While I know that the original poster is obviously a troll ... it really doesn't matter where Gunnerson ends up landing on the subjective in-state rankings. I'm sure that he's a perfectly exceptional player - this is a feather in the cap of the Huskers for landing such a fine player. However, I'd also give the Hawk staff a tip of the cap for recruiting Gunnerson the "right way" ... they were on him early, even though I believe he grew up in more of an ISU-household, and they kept a positive sales pitch the entire time (staying true to who they are).

As things transpired, the Hawks still landed guys like Witt, Van Ness, and Black ... each who have similar body-types to Gunnerson. Given Iowa's track record for player development ... I'd infer that Iowa's DE-situation will turn out perfectly good.

Besides, back in the state rankings for '16 ... John Raridon, a Husker legacy recruit, was the #1 recruit in the state ... and yet he's really done little to nothing for the Huskers to date. This either points to the state rankings having little-to-no actual value ... or that the Huskers have been terrible at player development. Truth be told ... a little of both probably figures into the story here. To throw an olive branch to Husker fans ... some of the fault of player development lands at the feet of Riley ... of course, the perplexing thing there is that Riley was supposedly renown for his player-development skills.

Not to mention Riley had a solid run at Oregon State before he flopped in Huskerland.

Hopefully didn’t imply our staff did a less than excellent job.

Certainly there are a plethora of variables and I would agree with you.

Hopefully didn’t imply our staff did a less than excellent job.

Certainly there are a plethora of variables and I would agree with you.
Nah ... you simply indicated that Frost and the Huskers demonstrated extra "love" to Gunnerson ... and the extra attention is likely what made the difference in his commitment. Did I interpret your post correctly?

I still think he ends up at ISU. Their number 1 recruit. Grew up ISU fan. His brother was put on the team to cement the deal. No way Campbell can lose him. I am guessing he flips to ISU. Well then maybe not after both Campbell and JP went after him on Twitter when he announced Nebbie. We will see if Kirk and Barta go after Bollers if he chooses Nebbie. High class ISU.

Spot on. This is the reason Yahya Black chose Iowa.

Chase is nuts. lol . Gunnerson is not even close. His injury will return and nag him when is plays against college level performers. He has flat out benn unhealthy his whole hs career.

Nah ... you simply indicated that Frost and the Huskers demonstrated extra "love" to Gunnerson ... and the extra attention is likely what made the difference in his commitment. Did I interpret your post correctly?
That’s why Gunnerson’s fam said he selected Nebby. Just reporting what I was told.

Reactions: mohican1
I still think he ends up at ISU. Their number 1 recruit. Grew up ISU fan. His brother was put on the team to cement the deal. No way Campbell can lose him. I am guessing he flips to ISU. Well then maybe not after both Campbell and JP went after him on Twitter when he announced Nebbie. We will see if Kirk and Barta go after Bollers if he chooses Nebbie. High class ISU.
Campbell and Pollard Tweeted about/at Gunnerson?

Well they both tweeted after he announced. Both negative to him. And both erased them. And even Clown fans admitted it looked horrible. Along the lines of “we only recruit people that want to be here” from both coach and AD same hour BG amounted to Nebbie. Sure it was a coincidence.

Well they both tweeted after he announced. Both negative to him. And both erased them. And even Clown fans admitted it looked horrible. Along the lines of “we only recruit people that want to be here” from both coach and AD same hour BG amounted to Nebbie. Sure it was a coincidence.

Those tweets would have been entertaining. Makes me think he is not likely to flip to Clown State, and his family will be buying Nebraska season tickets.

Truth is, he’s not even close to the same player he was as a sophomore. No junior film and a season missed because of injury. He’s a legit 6-5 250 lbs now and an incredible athlete for that size. The 5.6 rating isn’t accurate, and will improve.

He also fits the mold of the rare outside pass rushing presence that’s big enough to stop the run but mobile enough to disrupt in the passing game. There is a reason why he was coveted by Notre Dame (visited twice), and had he not been injured there would have been much more competition for his commitment.

Iowa, and even more so ISU (but they’re the little brother in the state so not really), let one get away here. I realize the Hawkeyes have 7 Defensive Ends committed, but looking closer at the list, only Logan Jones appears to be someone who was highly sought after.. the other 6 are your usual Iowa recruitment battles of ISU and Minny and KState type schools, then a bunch of MAC or Dakota or FCS types.

It appears Nebraska will continue to have a presence cherry picking the best talent out of the state each year. TJ Bollers has already visited Lincoln four times.

Don't understand how he was pretty much mediocre his sophomore year didn't play his Junior year and now he's the number 1 player in Iowa....Don't think so.

Reactions: WestIAHawk

Take a hike blow hard, come back when you win the west.

Reactions: sltldowney
This guy is one of my favorites over here because of how boisterous his predictions are...ya gotta love it. But this is rich, stating “Nebby is on to Plan C” with the ‘20 Class.

LMAO - did you just attempt to talk sh*t about recruiting? Iowa’s whole class is made up of kids that Nebraska (or most successful Top 50 programs) haven’t and won’t offer. That’s 80% of your class; we wouldn’t even bother...and we offer 400+.

I know Iowa thinks they can develop their way above their 8 win regular season ceiling, and once every 10-12 years that happens, but that’s quite the cute little comment there, @HawkNole09.

You’ll long wish for the days of Mike Riley, when things were so much fun for that stretch of 5 years. The truth is that Nebraska owns Iowa. Always have. 29-17 overall. Iowa has 2 wins since WWII against coaches not named Mike Riley.

Do you all really think that suddenly a team that can’t recruit better than 80% MAC level prospects, despite developing them very well, will ever truly compete with a Blueblood like Nebraska that lives in the Top 20 range.

I know it’s a tough, tough pill to swallow; but recruiting matters. It matters as much as development. Iowa might develop with the very best of them, but you’ll never break the ceiling of 7/8 regular season wins (beside once every decade) unless you find a way to recruit better than you have. 39th place....51st place...it’s all the same, equals 7/8 wins on the regular season schedule, with a weak non con lineup none the less.

Nebraska owns Iowa, save for the three years your favorite coach Mike Riley did his best to destroy the program.

Osborne owned Iowa. Solich owned Iowa. Hell, even Bo Pelini, as inept as he was still almost went undefeated all four years against Iowa. 3-1 should have been 4-0, but turnover Tommy Armstrong found a way to throw 4 interceptions that day despite the Hawkeyes going 0-11 on third down, and Iowa lucked out to win it.

Nebraska recruits better. Osborne consistently beat Iowa. Solich consistently beat Iowa. Pelini consistently beat Iowa. Wanna know why? Because they recruited better.

Riley sure his best to instill some confidence in the Hawkeye nation that they’ll never lose to Nebraska again, but Riley is gone. The first coach that didn’t own Iowa, is gone.

Nebraska has always owned Iowa. They recruit better. That’s how it works. Now, Riley is long gone. Things will return to the way they were, before Riley. Where every coach prior owned Iowa. Osborne. Solich. Pelini. All owned Iowa.

Frost, who is by far and away the best recruiter of the bunch, will continue to do what every coach prior (besides Riley) has done to Iowa. Owned them. Tick tock, friends. That 4-8 team and the leftovers of the Riley era are in the rear view mirror. We have always recruited well at Nebraska, and have always owned Iowa...except for the Riley years. Now Frost will return to doing what every coach has ever done to Iowa. I will truly miss the bravado on this board, though. You guys and your ever optimistic off season Kirk-is-gonna-get-it-done-this-year, to the fire-Kirk-he-sucks when you ultimately win 7 or 8 regular season games, is so much fun to watch unfold.

Man I love this board.

You don't have to be good on 3rd down when you can run simple stretch plays to the house on first down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birky
Those are based off Gunnerson’s film as a 195lb 16 year old sophomore who missed his entire Jr season of high school football....... he’s now 6’5” and 250 lbs but moves like an athletic OLB. That’s a specific and highly coveted mold in today’s game.

Want to make a friendly wager that Gunnerson’s composite, and Rival’s ranking, are better than every DE you just listed when the final 2020 Position rankings are released?

Gunnerson will be a 4 star. He will be the #1 player in Iowa.

No, because I don't really care about composites, but do you want to make a friendly wager that after 3 or four years a couple of our DE recruits from the class will be playing in the NFL and your guy won't?

I doubt it.

He will be back long before then. Nubbie and Clown losers are obsessed with everything Iowa. The moment anyone here says anything critical of either of those sorry excuses for teams, legions of their toadies will be here to defend their imaginary honor.

He is the second best player in his high school CONFERENCE (at his healthy ceiling) let alone the top player in state of Iowa. This is comical and pathetic but also entertaining.

Don't understand how he was pretty much mediocre his sophomore year didn't play his Junior year and now he's the number 1 player in Iowa....Don't think so.
Pretty sure it was clear this is a prediction for AFTER his senior season (assuming healthy)...finishes ranked #1 in Iowa.

He is the second best player in his high school CONFERENCE (at his healthy ceiling) let alone the top player in state of Iowa. This is comical and pathetic but also entertaining.
tenor.gif

I still don’t understand why BG is brought here by Nebbie fans. He will be a good player I am sure. But it was ISU’s No.1 on their board. He grew up a Clone and his brother was put on the team to try and close the deal. We are just fine on the DL with recruits. Post the trash talking on CF. Now Bollers, fine come back and talk if you get him. Funny thing is, if Bollers goes to Nebbie Twins will have more posts on CF than the Iowa and Nebbie boards combined. Clone fans get more excitement over Iowa losing someone than they do on getting someone. Twins still posts on Eno stats and some Michigan RB from years ago. JFC, we are in 2019. At least Nebbie isn’t pathetic like ISU.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT