ADVERTISEMENT

Blaise Gunnerson will end up a Four Star & the #1 ranked player in Iowa

Funny... I seem to remember your lord and savior telling the entire world that Iowa pushed Nebraska around. The game wasn’t as close as the score board indicated. Iowa pushed Nebraska around like it was playing a low level MAC team.

Iowa was the far superior team and even Scott Frost knew it.

Guess what? This Hawkeye team is still loaded with draft talent. So you should probably wait until Nebraska beats Iowa to run your mouth.

Iowa is bigger, stronger and faster than Nebraska. No amount of those Nebraska Football pump up videos posted on Facebook is going to change that. You guys did the same type of crap under Riley. It’s all smoke and mirrors until you prove otherwise.

The plays were TJ Hock and T Young were just dragging Husker defenders along for the ride had to be a huge embarrassment. but hey, Black Shirts!!!

Truth is, he’s not even close to the same player he was as a sophomore. No junior film and a season missed because of injury. He’s a legit 6-5 250 lbs now and an incredible athlete for that size. The 5.6 rating isn’t accurate, and will improve.

He also fits the mold of the rare outside pass rushing presence that’s big enough to stop the run but mobile enough to disrupt in the passing game. There is a reason why he was coveted by Notre Dame (visited twice), and had he not been injured there would have been much more competition for his commitment.

Iowa, and even more so ISU (but they’re the little brother in the state so not really), let one get away here. I realize the Hawkeyes have 7 Defensive Ends committed, but looking closer at the list, only Logan Jones appears to be someone who was highly sought after.. the other 6 are your usual Iowa recruitment battles of ISU and Minny and KState type schools, then a bunch of MAC or Dakota or FCS types.

It appears Nebraska will continue to have a presence cherry picking the best talent out of the state each year. TJ Bollers has already visited Lincoln four times.

Maximum_trolling64.gif

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I just went back and checked, because I thought - geez maybe Chase is right. Maybe Nebraska hasn’t sucked the whole time they were in the B1G.

But, no, I was right.

In losing efforts since 2011 when you joined the B1G, Nebraska has been beaten by a total of 413 points, with a total of 8 blowout losses (15+ points). You can thank the Hawks for 25% of those.

During the same period Iowa has been beaten by a total of 168 points, and only 3 blowout losses — not counting bowl games because you struggle to make them.
Still trying to figure out why OP and a few others are even reading--and posting on-- our board. I would not even consider going to there board to post about some 17 year old kid, let alone discuss their program.

Still trying to figure out why OP and a few others are even reading--and posting on-- our board. I would not even consider going to there board to post about some 17 year old kid, let alone discuss their program.

They beat the clowns for the kid, who grew up an ISU fan. Maybe they are on the clown site in equal numbers, crowing about the recruiting win- but I doubt it. If ISU was ever a Nebraska rival it ended when the Huskers moved on to greener pastures.

Gotta figure that hurt the Ronald McDonalds home schedule every other year. No Nebraska game anymore, but they still have Iowa.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I think it’s just their way of having Nebraska stuff at the top of our board. They’ve been blasted with facts, which has calmed them down considerably. But they’re Husker fans — if they can’t feel like there’s hope in the offseason then when is there hope?

Go take a look at Logan Jones film and get back to us
I did. Nice film. Looks like a high 3* recruit to borderline 4*. He looks explosive, but also bigger than just about everyone trying to block him.

Gunnerson film is from his soph season when he looks to be about 200 lbs. He's a legit 6'5" with long arms and a solid 250-260 lbs now. Reports out of the Neb camps he still looks explosive and recruiting experts think he'll get a major bump during or after his senior season. That's coming from recruiting guys that have watched him recently. Nate Clouse at HOL has said he expects him to be a borderline top 100 recruit (assuming he stays healthy).

If Gunnerson gets that big of bump it's not out of the question to see him end up #1 in Iowa. It's all speculation on both sides at this point, but speculation by recruiting experts on the Neb side. You can claim Husker bias, but Clouse is usually pretty on it. He called bumps on recent Husker commits Smothers, Benhart, Heinrich, Johnson, Nance all well in advance.

I guess we'll see.

"Blaise" is a pretty non-hetero name, and it fits in perfectly with the program he committed to ...just say'n.

Nate Clouse from Husker Online, huh? I can see why you guys are so excited and ran over to put us on notice.....
I have no idea why OP started this thread. I just came across it. BG is an Iowa kid Iowa offered and tried to get back in on late so not completely unrelated. Honestly OP seemed like it was a bit of a troll.

Reactions: TouchdownMyPants
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
HOL and TOS. It was reported on both sites multiple times leading up to his commitment to Neb. Can't link all of it, but here is a free article stating Iowa and Iowa St wanted him badly https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/blaise-gunnerson-commit-what-does-it-mean-for-nebraska-

This Nebraska article is ridiculously slanted, sounds like you guys just found Bo Jackson at DE, with safety cover skills.

Look it was a good take for you — it gets you into Iowa again, and you land a decent recruit that may have the ability to bulk up and play DL.

But he’s not a guy who’s going to overpower or bend edges. At most he’d be like the Hawks drafted DE Anthony Nelson. But Nelson had the never quit on any play ability, and I just don’t think you can assess that based on a camp and some sophomore tape.

All I know is we got what we wanted. And the Blaise fell in your lap. You do the math.

This Nebraska article is ridiculously slanted, sounds like you guys just found Bo Jackson at DE, with safety cover skills.

Look it was a good take for you — it gets you into Iowa again, and you land a decent recruit that may have the ability to bulk up and play DL.

But he’s not a guy who’s going to overpower or bend edges. At most he’d be like the Hawks drafted DE Anthony Nelson. But Nelson had the never quit on any play ability, and I just don’t think you can assess that based on a camp and some sophomore tape.

All I know is we got what we wanted. And the Blaise fell in your lap. You do the math.
Maybe Anthony Nelson's little brother, but Anthony was a full 6' 7". Gunnerson in reality is probably 3" - 4" shorter than that. And without the quick first step.

He's an OLB in Neb's 3/4. Come on now...he didn't fall into Neb's lap...Neb won a recruiting battle against both in-state teams. Not saying it was the greatest recruiting victory...but he is a good get out of Iowa.

Prior Neb staffs didn't have much success in Iowa...Frost's staff seems to be making recruiting Iowa a priority. So far Neb pulled a couple Iowa kids with Iowa offers.

I figure the kid wants early playing time by committing to a school that has very little talent on defense. Makes a heck of a lot of sense to me.

He's an OLB in Neb's 3/4. Come on now...he didn't fall into Neb's lap...Neb won a recruiting battle against both in-state teams. Not saying it was the greatest recruiting victory...but he is a good get out of Iowa.

Prior Neb staffs didn't have much success in Iowa...Frost's staff seems to be making recruiting Iowa a priority. So far Neb pulled a couple Iowa kids with Iowa offers.

Gunnerson will definitely get a recruiting bump. How high, I guess we'll see but he'll likely get the 4th star. I think he'll be good if not above average, it's a good get for you guys for sure.

That said, you have to understand that Nebraska writers are pumping him up . Iowa would have loved to take him but haven't really recruited him in a while as it was clear he wasn't choosing us. So again, it's a good get for Nebraska but the context of beating out Iowa who was going hard after him is more likely Nebraska writers drumming up the perception they went toe to toe with Iowa when in reality they went toe to toe with Iowa State.

No one is saying he’s not a good get. But for a Nebraska writer to say Iowa wanted him badly is just not true. That is the argument.

Iowa has a number of DE’s just as good or better already committed. The recruiting battle was won against Iowa State, not Iowa.

You are a complete fool. I want you to play Gunnerson at OLB and tell me that he can stick with any TE on our roster in coverage — down the seam or to the sticks.

He doesn’t have the quickness, the top speed or the explosiveness.

He’d be best putting on 40 pounds and playing at DE for you guys. But I don’t think he body will handle that.

So what you got is a high IQ tweener, who has been injured and has a long way to go before lining up on a high level D1 football field. Not a high ceiling, and concerns about the strength of the floor.

It’s a good pickup because it establishes you a little more in Iowa, but as your well aware our big time talent goes, mostly, to Iowa. When we lose out it’s usually to Michigan or Alabama.

You should check out the 4-3 DEs we have committed. We’re waiting one one more. I have no concerns that we’ll continue to produce top 15 defenses with the depth and quality we have. And that should give us a chance against almost every team we play?

How bout you guys? How’s that build coming along?

You are a complete fool. I want you to play Gunnerson at OLB and tell me that he can stick with any TE on our roster in coverage — down the seam or to the sticks.

He’d be best putting on 40 pounds and playing at DE for you guys. But I don’t think he body will handle that.

So what you got is a high IQ tweener, who has been injured and has a long way to go before lining up on a high level D1 football field. Not a high ceiling, and concerns about the strength of the floor.

It’s a good pickup because it establishes you a little more in Iowa, but as your well aware our big time talent goes, mostly, to Iowa. When we lose out it’s usually to Michigan or Alabama.

You should check out the 4-3 DEs we have committed. We’re waiting one one more. I have no concerns that we’ll continue to produce top 15 defenses with the depth and quality we have. And that should give us a chance against almost every team we play?

Actually pretty good. We won't have the D Iowa does, but our O will give us a chance in most games. If the D becomes average we will be a hell of a lot better. Thanks for asking.

Actually pretty good. We won't have the D Iowa does, but our O will give us a chance in most games. If the D becomes average we will be a hell of a lot better. Thanks for asking.

Remains to be seen. Teams will adapt to your offense. AM will need to guard against the sophomore slump. And based on your coaches, their history and the players you still have on roster I don’t see that D improving more than marginally. Schedule sets up well, but expectations should counter that.

Not predicting a bad season for you at all, but 9-10-11 wins is out of the question. 6-7-8 much more likely. I think Vegas is robbing Neb fans, using their emotions against them.

Truthfully, I’d love to see our game matter, for a trip to BTC or something crazy like that. It’ll build the rivalry. You guys would be on the way up and Minnesota, Purdue, NW and Wisconsin on the way down.

No one is saying he’s not a good get. But for a Nebraska writer to say Iowa wanted him badly is just not true. That is the argument.

Iowa has a number of DE’s just as good or better already committed. The recruiting battle was won against Iowa State, not Iowa.
I agree it came down to ISU and Neb at the end. Iowa did bring him in to visit, or let him visit 5 times with the most recent being 2/1/19. Again, I agree it came down to ISU and Neb, but it appears at one point Iowa was very interested. I'm sure they backed off once he showed more interest in other teams, but it's not shocking to think they may have reached back out this summer to see if he had any interest in Iowa. I'm just happy he's a Husker.

Sure Nate's article is colored red a bit, but he's not one to completely make things up.

You clearly don't know much about 3/4 OLBs. At least one of them has to be big and strong enough to hold the edge. The other can be lighter and will drop back into coverage more often. Neb runs a 3/4 but also operates a 4/3. That larger OLB needs the flexibility to play the run, rush the passer, and drop into coverage. He's not going to be running with TE's all day down the seam.

This article talks about it https://www.coachslow.com/nfl-outside-linebackers/

At 6'5" BG should play around 260ish and be the ideal size for a OLB in this scheme. He's not a tweener, but I do agree he's a high IQ kid. Plus, he is just coming into his own now that he's grown into his body. If he'd played a healthy Jr season he'd prob be ranked higher right now. He is currently a 5.6 3* with no Jr film. I'm just telling you...don't be shocked to see him end up a 4* and maybe inside the top 250.

How's Frost's rebuild of the program coming along? Or just the D? The entire program is trending up. Frost already has the offense ready to put up big numbers. Martinez is a stud and skill guys will always want to play in a Frost offense.The D will take more time, but it should be better than the last couple yrs. Still need to get in the right body types at DE and OLB, also build depth at LB and S, but Frost has brought in a couple nice classes. I'm excited about the OL talent he's bringing in. These 3 top 150 guys are great guys to build around in 3 consecutive classes.

Last edited:
I agree it came down to ISU and Neb at the end. Iowa did bring him in to visit, or let him visit 5 times with the most recent being 2/1/19. Again, I agree it came down to ISU and Neb, but it appears at one point Iowa was very interested. I'm sure they backed off once he showed more interest in other teams, but it's not shocking to think they may have reached back out this summer to see if he had any interest in Iowa. I'm just happy he's a Husker.

Sure Nate's article is colored red a bit, but he's not one to completely make things up.

This pretty much is exactly what everyone is saying, Iowa had interest but hasn't really had real interest in probably at least 3-4 months.

Again, he's a great get for you guys. But there is no reason to believe Iowa "wanted him badly" or that Iowa tried to push hard for him late. No one outside of Nebraska writers are saying that, when no one from the Iowa side has even thought about him in months. Reaching out every once in a while =/= wanting him badly or pushing for him late.

Just like saying he's going to be a top 100 player, it's all agenda pushing by Nebraska writers that no one else is saying.

You clearly don't know much about 3/4 OLBs. At least one of them has to be big and strong enough to hold the edge. The other can be lighter and will drop back into coverage more often. Neb runs a 3/4 but also operates a 4/3. That larger OLB needs the flexibility to play the run, rush the passer, and drop into coverage. He's not going to be running with TE's all day down the seam.

This article talks about it https://www.coachslow.com/nfl-outside-linebackers/

At 6'5" BG should play around 260ish and be the ideal size for a OLB in this scheme. He's not a tweener, but I do agree he's a high IQ kid. Plus, he is just coming into his own now that he's grown into his body. If he'd played a healthy Jr season he'd prob be ranked higher right now. He is currently a 5.6 3* with no Jr film. I'm just telling you...don't be shocked to see him end up a 4* and maybe inside the top 250.

From your article “Outside Linebackers must have explosive get off, shocking power, speed, flexibility, quick hands, and agility in the open. They must cover Tight Ends and Backs when they are not rushing the Quarterback.”

Sorry. Not that kind of athlete. Like I said, stack weight, play him as a quicker undersized DE.

There’s no way in hell he covers IKM or Goodson in the flats, or LaPorte and Miamen down field.

So, if he can’t do that he is a — yup — rush end. It doesn’t make him a bad player or a bad recruit, but he is limited.

Last edited:
This guy is one of my favorites over here because of how boisterous his predictions are...ya gotta love it. But this is rich, stating “Nebby is on to Plan C” with the ‘20 Class.

LMAO - did you just attempt to talk sh*t about recruiting? Iowa’s whole class is made up of kids that Nebraska (or most successful Top 50 programs) haven’t and won’t offer. That’s 80% of your class; we wouldn’t even bother...and we offer 400+.

I know Iowa thinks they can develop their way above their 8 win regular season ceiling, and once every 10-12 years that happens, but that’s quite the cute little comment there, @HawkNole09.

You’ll long wish for the days of Mike Riley, when things were so much fun for that stretch of 5 years. The truth is that Nebraska owns Iowa. Always have. 29-17 overall. Iowa has 2 wins since WWII against coaches not named Mike Riley.

Do you all really think that suddenly a team that can’t recruit better than 80% MAC level prospects, despite developing them very well, will ever truly compete with a Blueblood like Nebraska that lives in the Top 20 range.

I know it’s a tough, tough pill to swallow; but recruiting matters. It matters as much as development. Iowa might develop with the very best of them, but you’ll never break the ceiling of 7/8 regular season wins (beside once every decade) unless you find a way to recruit better than you have. 39th place....51st place...it’s all the same, equals 7/8 wins on the regular season schedule, with a weak non con lineup none the less.

Nebraska owns Iowa, save for the three years your favorite coach Mike Riley did his best to destroy the program.

Osborne owned Iowa. Solich owned Iowa. Hell, even Bo Pelini, as inept as he was still almost went undefeated all four years against Iowa. 3-1 should have been 4-0, but turnover Tommy Armstrong found a way to throw 4 interceptions that day despite the Hawkeyes going 0-11 on third down, and Iowa lucked out to win it.

Nebraska recruits better. Osborne consistently beat Iowa. Solich consistently beat Iowa. Pelini consistently beat Iowa. Wanna know why? Because they recruited better.

Riley sure his best to instill some confidence in the Hawkeye nation that they’ll never lose to Nebraska again, but Riley is gone. The first coach that didn’t own Iowa, is gone.

In comes Frost, with a true freshman QB and not a single draftable player, into Kinnick vs a Hawkeye team loaded with draft talent and it takes a walk off field goal to get it done.

Nebraska has always owned Iowa. They recruit better. That’s how it works. Now, Riley is long gone. Things will return to the way they were, before Riley. Where every coach prior owned Iowa. Osborne. Solich. Pelini. All owned Iowa.

Frost, who is by far and away the best recruiter of the bunch, will continue to do what every coach prior (besides Riley) has done to Iowa. Owned them. Tick tock, friends. That 4-8 team and the leftovers of the Riley era are in the rear view mirror. We have always recruited well at Nebraska, and have always owned Iowa...except for the Riley years. Now Frost will return to doing what every coach has ever done to Iowa. I will truly miss the bravado on this board, though. You guys and your ever optimistic off season Kirk-is-gonna-get-it-done-this-year, to the fire-Kirk-he-sucks when you ultimately win 7 or 8 regular season games, is so much fun to watch unfold.

Man I love this board.
I was going to cut you some slack when I read your initial post ... thinking it was just a fan sharing an assessment of an Iowa high school player ... And then you had to make this post ...

You are the type of fan who gives your fan base a bad reputation ... Why don't you exert that energy with your own fans on your own board. Do you physically feel better by making a post like this on an Iowa board. Does it make you happy? Does it make you more confident?

It must provide something to you that you sorely didn't get as a child and are still lacking as an adult. When someone goes to great length to make a post like this you expose more about you as a person than you do as a fan of college football ...

You make yourself look like a child ... Remember this: You are simply a fan. You are not Scott Frost. You are not a football player. You are a fan. You won't be suiting up against Iowa ... You won't be winning or losing the game ... Enjoy your team but don't act like you are the one putting on the uniform ... and then spewing forth drivel like this ...

Why again do we care? He was never coming to Iowa. Of course you recruit him. He is in state and a good player. We cut the lost leader. Fine get by Nebbie but post this on CF since he was God’s (sorry Campbell’s) No. 1 target to get and even Matty and Pollard posted crap tweets (both erased now BTW) the day of his decision, his brother was moved from manager to the team to supposedly seal it, and he grew up a Clown fan. Jesus horrible loss for the Clones post it there. We stopped recruiting him in the spring when he said it was down to ISU and Nebbie. Still have zero clue how Campbell lost him. Unreal. Talk about stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Remains to be seen. Teams will adapt to your offense. AM will need to guard against the sophomore slump. And based on your coaches, their history and the players you still have on roster I don’t see that D improving more than marginally. Schedule sets up well, but expectations should counter that.

Not predicting a bad season for you at all, but 9-10-11 wins is out of the question. 6-7-8 much more likely. I think Vegas is robbing Neb fans, using their emotions against them.

Truthfully, I’d love to see our game matter, for a trip to BTC or something crazy like that. It’ll build the rivalry. You guys would be on the way up and Minnesota, Purdue, NW and Wisconsin on the way down.

I agree there is probably too much hype. Not sure why all of the media thinks you make this huge jump all of the sudden as that does not make sense to me at all.

I think QB is fine as long as he stays healthy and our D line will be much improved just because there will be depth plus another year of actual strength and conditioning at a higher level then the past. With the schedule I'd agree that 7-8 wins is probably where it finishes. I just don't see the 9+ yet. That's why you play the game and see how the newcomers do, but I'd say 7-8.

Reactions: owenhawk
Iowa got the DE they wanted then turned their attention elsewhere. That's why you don't see any activity between Gunnerson and Iowa after his February visit.

Of course, one of the things about Iowa ... is that we tend not to like recruits who enjoy being "recruited" too much. I believe that it is an important part in how Iowa tries to filter out the players who truly "fit" the program. If feeling all the extra "love" is what made the difference ... rather than the actual CONTENT of what the program had to offer ... then I honestly am skeptical about how well the kid would have fit within the Hawk program.
Interesting comment. We say the same thing on the Northwestern board. I actually think the school that recruits most similarly to Iowa in the B1G is Northwestern. Neither school gives a rip about star rating, neither throws out 400 offers a year and both target cultural fits. You don’t see a lot of hat dances in announcements or players camping in every city to build a ranking.

I looked at the P5 offers on some of your recent recruits and they are not ultra impressive. However, your staff has proven that they can identify under the radar players and develop them into all conference players. At Northwestern, some of our best players fit this mold as well. I would much rather trust your coaches on evaluations than some biased recruiting service that is sustained by subscribers. If Northwestern land a recruit that is offered by Iowa it gets my attention more than if that same recruit was offered by Nebraska.

Well good luck in the game this year Legend. I think Nebraska has a very manageable schedule overall so hopefully the winner of this game decides the West.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT