ADVERTISEMENT

Blaise Gunnerson will end up a Four Star & the #1 ranked player in Iowa

This guy is one of my favorites over here because of how boisterous his predictions are...ya gotta love it. But this is rich, stating “Nebby is on to Plan C” with the ‘20 Class.

LMAO - did you just attempt to talk sh*t about recruiting? Iowa’s whole class is made up of kids that Nebraska (or most successful Top 50 programs) haven’t and won’t offer. That’s 80% of your class; we wouldn’t even bother...and we offer 400+.

I know Iowa thinks they can develop their way above their 8 win regular season ceiling, and once every 10-12 years that happens, but that’s quite the cute little comment there, @HawkNole09.

You’ll long wish for the days of Mike Riley, when things were so much fun for that stretch of 5 years. The truth is that Nebraska owns Iowa. Always have. 29-17 overall. Iowa has 2 wins since WWII against coaches not named Mike Riley.

Do you all really think that suddenly a team that can’t recruit better than 80% MAC level prospects, despite developing them very well, will ever truly compete with a Blueblood like Nebraska that lives in the Top 20 range.

I know it’s a tough, tough pill to swallow; but recruiting matters. It matters as much as development. Iowa might develop with the very best of them, but you’ll never break the ceiling of 7/8 regular season wins (beside once every decade) unless you find a way to recruit better than you have. 39th place....51st place...it’s all the same, equals 7/8 wins on the regular season schedule, with a weak non con lineup none the less.

Nebraska owns Iowa, save for the three years your favorite coach Mike Riley did his best to destroy the program.

Osborne owned Iowa. Solich owned Iowa. Hell, even Bo Pelini, as inept as he was still almost went undefeated all four years against Iowa. 3-1 should have been 4-0, but turnover Tommy Armstrong found a way to throw 4 interceptions that day despite the Hawkeyes going 0-11 on third down, and Iowa lucked out to win it.

Nebraska recruits better. Osborne consistently beat Iowa. Solich consistently beat Iowa. Pelini consistently beat Iowa. Wanna know why? Because they recruited better.

Riley sure his best to instill some confidence in the Hawkeye nation that they’ll never lose to Nebraska again, but Riley is gone. The first coach that didn’t own Iowa, is gone.

In comes Frost, with a true freshman QB and not a single draftable player, into Kinnick vs a Hawkeye team loaded with draft talent and it takes a walk off field goal to get it done.

Nebraska has always owned Iowa. They recruit better. That’s how it works. Now, Riley is long gone. Things will return to the way they were, before Riley. Where every coach prior owned Iowa. Osborne. Solich. Pelini. All owned Iowa.

Frost, who is by far and away the best recruiter of the bunch, will continue to do what every coach prior (besides Riley) has done to Iowa. Owned them. Tick tock, friends. That 4-8 team and the leftovers of the Riley era are in the rear view mirror. We have always recruited well at Nebraska, and have always owned Iowa...except for the Riley years. Now Frost will return to doing what every coach has ever done to Iowa. I will truly miss the bravado on this board, though. You guys and your ever optimistic off season Kirk-is-gonna-get-it-done-this-year, to the fire-Kirk-he-sucks when you ultimately win 7 or 8 regular season games, is so much fun to watch unfold.

Man I love this board.
Thanks for the history lesson. But that's what it is, history. Also, how many 9+ win seasons has KF had in his 20 years? 2 by your count, must have went to school at 'N'owledge U.

This guy is one of my favorites over here because of how boisterous his predictions are...ya gotta love it. But this is rich, stating “Nebby is on to Plan C” with the ‘20 Class.

LMAO - did you just attempt to talk sh*t about recruiting? Iowa’s whole class is made up of kids that Nebraska (or most successful Top 50 programs) haven’t and won’t offer. That’s 80% of your class; we wouldn’t even bother...and we offer 400+.

I know Iowa thinks they can develop their way above their 8 win regular season ceiling, and once every 10-12 years that happens, but that’s quite the cute little comment there, @HawkNole09.

You’ll long wish for the days of Mike Riley, when things were so much fun for that stretch of 5 years. The truth is that Nebraska owns Iowa. Always have. 29-17 overall. Iowa has 2 wins since WWII against coaches not named Mike Riley.

Do you all really think that suddenly a team that can’t recruit better than 80% MAC level prospects, despite developing them very well, will ever truly compete with a Blueblood like Nebraska that lives in the Top 20 range.

I know it’s a tough, tough pill to swallow; but recruiting matters. It matters as much as development. Iowa might develop with the very best of them, but you’ll never break the ceiling of 7/8 regular season wins (beside once every decade) unless you find a way to recruit better than you have. 39th place....51st place...it’s all the same, equals 7/8 wins on the regular season schedule, with a weak non con lineup none the less.

Nebraska owns Iowa, save for the three years your favorite coach Mike Riley did his best to destroy the program.

Osborne owned Iowa. Solich owned Iowa. Hell, even Bo Pelini, as inept as he was still almost went undefeated all four years against Iowa. 3-1 should have been 4-0, but turnover Tommy Armstrong found a way to throw 4 interceptions that day despite the Hawkeyes going 0-11 on third down, and Iowa lucked out to win it.

Nebraska recruits better. Osborne consistently beat Iowa. Solich consistently beat Iowa. Pelini consistently beat Iowa. Wanna know why? Because they recruited better.

Riley sure his best to instill some confidence in the Hawkeye nation that they’ll never lose to Nebraska again, but Riley is gone. The first coach that didn’t own Iowa, is gone.

In comes Frost, with a true freshman QB and not a single draftable player, into Kinnick vs a Hawkeye team loaded with draft talent and it takes a walk off field goal to get it done.

Nebraska has always owned Iowa. They recruit better. That’s how it works. Now, Riley is long gone. Things will return to the way they were, before Riley. Where every coach prior owned Iowa. Osborne. Solich. Pelini. All owned Iowa.

Frost, who is by far and away the best recruiter of the bunch, will continue to do what every coach prior (besides Riley) has done to Iowa. Owned them. Tick tock, friends. That 4-8 team and the leftovers of the Riley era are in the rear view mirror. We have always recruited well at Nebraska, and have always owned Iowa...except for the Riley years. Now Frost will return to doing what every coach has ever done to Iowa. I will truly miss the bravado on this board, though. You guys and your ever optimistic off season Kirk-is-gonna-get-it-done-this-year, to the fire-Kirk-he-sucks when you ultimately win 7 or 8 regular season games, is so much fun to watch unfold.

Man I love this board.
Is everyone in Nebraska dumber than shit? You guys suck. Why is it so hard for you to accept? Come back when you win more than 4 games.

Man I love this board.

Wow Chase that was a long Defense. You know what — SCOREBOARD. Since Kirk has realized his freedom at Iowa, Kirk 2.0 we’ve flat out kicked your rear end in. Last year’s Nebby comeback was a lapse in concentration because we thought you were going to fold like every Nebby team has over the past five years.

So, I get it. You guys are gonna be bigger and badder. And the press is talking you up. And Scott’s such an awesome recruiter.

Where are the results? 4-8 last year? From the savior of Nebraska Football? Your pink skirts aren’t good enough to play in the Big12. What makes you honestly think you’re going to make strides forward without addressing the trenches. We have 4 guys slated for the NFL (I’d say six, but some think I’m too optimistic) playing on the lines. You have nothing. A zero.

Nebraska is top 6 in the Big Ten...West

Prove something before you tout owning anybody.

We used to kick your -ss is a weak, has-been, pink skirt battlecry.

And just so you know that we know — your edge in the series is because you dominated pre 1941...which nobody cares about almost as much as what you did in the 80s and 90s.

It’s the past.

We’ve been ranked top 10 five times in this millennium? How about you?

Bollers just needs to figure out if he wants to be part of a solid player development, winning program — or a possible upstart with a history of underproducing in the trenches.
Sorry, but a "history of underproducing in the trenches"? It's like Iowa fans don't realize Neb existed prior to the Riley era.

These are just Pelini era front 7 guys since we're talking about a DE/OLB in Bollers. Lavonte David...Jared Crick...Randy Gregory...Maliek Collins...Vincent Valentine...Phillip Dillard...SUH. All really good college players (in Suhs case maybe the best at his position) and all NFL draft picks. Oh and Neb has the most Outland Trophy winners of any program.

We'll see how Frost does, but he is going back to a proven formula that has worked at Neb for 50+ years prior to Riley era. The strength program under Riley was embarrassing.

I agree, but man if Nebraska gets a top legacy recruit in Iowa’s back yard that would be quite the blow. Imo regardless of how many DE we take this year he needs to be priority #1
I agree that losing out on Bollers would be a bad look, but unless he's Epenesa 2.0, losing him is not the end of the world. The defensive talent in Iowa high school ranks for the 2021 class is impressive. There are options if decides he wants to go elsewhere.

Reactions: PNWHawk
Even more simply put — if your goal is to play in the NFL [Early], then come to Iowa.

But if you want to play in the Arena League Fun-n-Gun, by all means, go to Nebraska.

Do you guys even have a route tree? Or does AM just draw the plays up on his chest?

Reactions: sltldowney
Sorry, but a "history of underproducing in the trenches"? It's like Iowa fans don't realize Neb existed prior to the Riley era.

These are just Pelini era front 7 guys since we're talking about a DE/OLB in Bollers. Lavonte David...Jared Crick...Randy Gregory...Maliek Collins...Vincent Valentine...Phillip Dillard...SUH. All really good college players (in Suhs case maybe the best at his position) and all NFL draft picks. Oh and Neb has the most Outland Trophy winners of any program.

We'll see how Frost does, but he is going back to a proven formula that has worked at Neb for 50+ years prior to Riley era. The strength program under Riley was embarrassing.

Those guys aren’t OLB/DE. And the one that is was has drug issues. Nobody wants to sign on with a program with that culture.

We get men, and build NFL caliber athletes with low bust potential.

You sign 4 star prima donnas with drug and authority issues, and turn them into 4-8 coulda-beens.

Come back when you win A big game. Don’t even have to beat Iowa. Just A big game (both teams ranked)

Sriosly — that’s your best comeback. 2 in fifteen?

Ranked plenty though. Played in meaningful games. Developed DBs of the BigTen like water.

You?

Admit it. The BigTen is a bigger challenge than you thought and you’d love to beg the Big12 to take you back.

Those guys aren’t OLB/DE. And the one that is was has drug issues. Nobody wants to sign on with a program with that culture.

We get men, and build NFL caliber athletes with low bust potential.

You sign 4 star prima donnas with drug and authority issues, and turn them into 4-8 coulda-beens.

Come back when you win A big game. Don’t even have to beat Iowa. Just A big game (both teams ranked)
You said "in the trenches". I provided you examples from "in the trenches". Gregory for sure has problems, but was still a very very good player in college. You're also really only going back to Riley to now time. Going back further (which wasn't that long ago) doesn't fit your narrative. If you want to say Riley sucked at developing OLB/DE...I agree. But to say Neb doesn't have a rich history of developing "in the trenches" players is foolish.

It's a little early still to make any conclusion on Frost's n staff's ability to develop OLB (which is what Bollers would play at NU) talent, but he did pretty well with a 5.5 3* Shaquem Griffin at UCF. Dude was a player and by all accounts a high character guy.

What happened under Riley is irrelevant to NU now and what Bollers could become. I'm not saying he'll end up at NU, but he keeps coming back to visit for a reason. Will be beautiful on here if he does pick NU :)

Someone help me out here-did Lachey have a Nubby offer? I thought I read that somewhere . . .

Edit to.self
The Hawks have five guys committed who list Nubby offers. I wouldn't normally make a deal out of that since the Bugeaters offer pretty much everyone but the Cornholer DB said they don't lower themselves to offering the kind of players Iowa recruits.

If it's all Mike Riley's fault, how come you losers haven't even won your conference in 20 years? Didn't think he was there quite that long. Hmmmmm.

I don’t even get this thread here. Iowa had zero chance with the kid. Post this on CF. I mean the kid grew up a Clone, his brother is on the team and not a player Blaise has to worry about living up to, was No. 1 on Clone list, and Clones and Campbell apparently thought hay in the barn. This was a disaster for ISU. Bollers for Iowa is similar if he goes elsewhere but a little different. Iowa for the past 20 years recruits better than ISU so losing a recruit doesn’t hurt as bad. ISU fans on CF don’t care who either team gets as long as Bollers doesn’t go to Iowa. Sick bunch.

I just went back and checked, because I thought - geez maybe Chase is right. Maybe Nebraska hasn’t sucked the whole time they were in the B1G.

But, no, I was right.

In losing efforts since 2011 when you joined the B1G, Nebraska has been beaten by a total of 413 points, with a total of 8 blowout losses (15+ points). You can thank the Hawks for 25% of those.

During the same period Iowa has been beaten by a total of 168 points, and only 3 blowout losses — not counting bowl games because you struggle to make them.

I just went back and checked, because I thought - geez maybe Chase is right. Maybe Nebraska hasn’t sucked the whole time they were in the B1G.

But, no, I was right.

In losing efforts since 2011 when you joined the B1G, Nebraska has been beaten by a total of 413 points, with a total of 8 blowout losses (15+ points). You can thank the Hawks for 25% of those.

During the same period Iowa has been beaten by a total of 168 points, and only 3 blowout losses — not counting bowl games because you struggle to make them.

Their one trip to the B1G championship they gave up 70. Again, 70.

Since KF has been at Iowa, his teams have given up 50 points ONCE.
Nubby has given up 50 sixteen times in that same span. They have given up 70 three times in that span, including 76 to Kansas.
Nebbie just isn't about defense. They also aren't about stepping up after they get punched.

Their one trip to the B1G championship they gave up 70. Again, 70.

Since KF has been at Iowa, his teams have given up 50 points ONCE.
Nubby has given up 50 sixteen times in that same span. They have given up 70 three times in that span, including 76 to Kansas.
Nebbie just isn't about defense. They also aren't about stepping up after they get punched.

Oh man. Is that like giving up 70 to Illinois? Or worse? I can’t imagine lining up a 4-star multiple P5 offers squad and getting trounced like that. An awful lot of laying down and quitting has to be going on for that to take place.

Man I love this board.

Ya lost me at "Nebraska".

Recruiting Rankings
(Nebraska’s Mythical National Championship)

Iowa ranked #20 with 22 commits (all tier 1 recruits, because our coaches know talent)

Nebraska ranked #58 with 8 commits (hoping that being in on big fish pays off with a good year)

Last edited:
Agree OP. Will be shocked if Blaise doesn't end up a 4* top 250 recruit and 1# player in Iowa (assuming he stays healthy). Writers on Husker Online think he'll be borderline top 100. He did get and invite to the AA Bowl.

Not sure what's going to happen with Bollers, but he seems to have legit interest in Neb. I'd give Iowa an edge atm, but if Neb has a good season...who knows. Wouldn't be impossible to end up with 2019 and 2020 #1 Iowa recruits in Lincoln.

Except that the only site that has Gunnerson rated as the number 2 rated player in Iowa still has him rated far behind Jones. That same site, 247, has Jones rated as the 6th best SDE in the country.

Gunnerson might get a 4th star but he won’t pass Logan as the top player in Iowa.

Meanwhile, the only player that has shown any real movement in 247’s top 100 SDE ranking is another Iowa commit, Yahya Black. Both he and Gunnerson could get a 4th star.

If it's all Mike Riley's fault, how come you losers haven't even won your conference in 20 years? Didn't think he was there quite that long. Hmmmmm.
It's not all Riley's fault, though he turned out to be terrible. When was Iowa's last B1G title...15 yr ago? Is that Iowa's current staff and KF's fault?

Except that the only site that has Gunnerson rated as the number 2 rated player in Iowa still has him rated far behind Jones. That same site, 247, has Jones rated as the 6th best SDE in the country.

Gunnerson might get a 4th star but he won’t pass Logan as the top player in Iowa.

Meanwhile, the only player that has shown any real movement in 247’s top 100 SDE ranking is another Iowa commit, Yahya Black. Both he and Gunnerson could get a 4th star.
I'm on TOS as well. Since this is a Rivals board I was just speaking to the Rivals rating. I'll say it again...by the end of the cycle I think there's a very strong likelihood that Gunnerson is the top ranked player in Iowa and a top 250 Rivals recruit.

It's not all Riley's fault, though he turned out to be terrible. When was Iowa's last B1G title...15 yr ago? Is that Iowa's current staff and KF's fault?

At least Iowa fans are realistic. You turds think your going to make the playoffs after a 4-8 season because your turd overrated coach got UCF who plays nobody to a New Years 6 game a couple years ago. Havent won a game to brag about in 15 years. Out recruit us but still can’t beat us. I love reading Nebraska fans “thoughts” and opinions. Lololol

Not KF’s fault at all. This conference is dang tough. We’ll see how many you win in your first 20 years. My guess 0-1, but it won’t happen while AM is here, because you don’t have a Championship caliber defense.

I'm on TOS as well. Since this is a Rivals board I was just speaking to the Rivals rating. I'll say it again...by the end of the cycle I think there's a very strong likelihood that Gunnerson is the top ranked player in Iowa and a top 250 Rivals recruit.

So a player who was rated as the #4 rated player in Iowa on this site and has since dropped to 6th in the state is all of the sudden going to become the best player in the state?

That’s very unlikely. He isn’t receiving a 4th star from Rivals.

You guys are acting like Gunnerson has been an unknown. He’s not. He has since been passed by two Iowa commits.

Last edited:
Reactions: clayborn_94
Iowa has 2 wins since WWII against coaches not named Mike Riley... Nebraska has always owned Iowa.

Ha!

Funny that you bring up WWII. Since Pearl Harbor, Iowa has a winning record against Nebraska.

You have to go back pretty far to find a time that Nebraska “owned” Iowa. Congrats on those wins during the Depression and before, though. And for stealing a recruit from Iowa State. What an absolutely incredible feat.

Feel better now, little guy?

Last edited:
Agree OP. Will be shocked if Blaise doesn't end up a 4* top 250 recruit and 1# player in Iowa (assuming he stays healthy). Writers on Husker Online think he'll be borderline top 100. He did get and invite to the AA Bowl.

Not sure what's going to happen with Bollers, but he seems to have legit interest in Neb. I'd give Iowa an edge atm, but if Neb has a good season...who knows. Wouldn't be impossible to end up with 2019 and 2020 #1 Iowa recruits in Lincoln.
LOL!

LOL at OP. Logan Jones is the best recruit in the state and its not close. Logan is Tristan Wirfs strong. 350x3 as a high school junior at the hang clean. If the recruiting services do suddenly rank Gunnerson #1 they’ll simply be wrong. I’m half surprised Jones isn’t a 5 star but then again he’s not trying to prove himself at camps like “the opening” like Gunnerson because his recruitment has been over for 6 months already

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Maybe getting too old but I trust the staff. The continual back and forth on stars, etc gets old. Nebbie is one thing. ISU is simply laughable. They care more about who we lose to other teams than who they get. JFC I looked the other day and ISU even tough they are really good this year that group on CF led by Twins is really, really sad and pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT