ADVERTISEMENT

Bluder Botched the Transfer Portal

Was thinking something similar. This team without Clark is…bad. Really unfortunate that next years team likely reverts to being irrelevant with half full attendance.

Everyone knew she had to find a big to effectively replace Monica. Teams like LSU and South Carolina will destroy us this year with Hannah as the starting 5.

Without Clark this game would have been a 40 point blowout.
So who should she have pursued that would have been interested in coming to Iowa? Betts and Morrow made clear they had no interest in Iowa. Who else was out there that might have said yes to Iowa?

LIsa didn't need to hit the portal for a big until we lost today. Par for the course here.
There have been numerous threads discussing Iowa’s pursuit of a big to replace Czinano, particularly regarding Betts from Stanford. This is definitely not a new conversation topic.

CC is a generational talent, not throwing the bank of NIL money available to try and win a Natty with her here is a major whiff. Not blaming Bluder in particular, but we’ll likely never see another CC let alone playing for Iowa.

There have been numerous threads discussing Iowa’s pursuit of a big to replace Czinano, particularly regarding Betts from Stanford. This is definitely not a new conversation topic.

CC is a generational talent, not throwing the bank of NIL money available to try and win a Natty with her here is a major whiff. Not blaming Bluder in particular, but we’ll likely never see another CC let alone playing for Iowa.
Agreed we should have paid big $ for Betts or Morrow

LIsa didn't need to hit the portal for a big until we lost today. Par for the course here.
She did actually. No consistent post presence has been a glaring weakness on both end of the court. Stuelke is a forward trying to play the post. We’ve gotten by but we havent played many ranked opponents and we’ve now lost to two of them. We won’t last long in the tournament this year.

So who should she have pursued that would have been interested in coming to Iowa? Betts and Morrow made clear they had no interest in Iowa. Who else was out there that might have said yes to Iowa?
While an elite post would have been great, we just needed a decent player that can D up a bigger post & is a reasonable enough threat on O to score or force double-teams.

Hannah’s not big enough & it was obvious coming into the season that the other 3 stiffs wouldn’t cut it.

She did actually. No consistent post presence has been a glaring weakness on both end of the court. Stuelke is a forward trying to play the post. We’ve gotten by but we havent played many ranked opponents and we’ve now lost to two of them. We won’t last long in the tournament this year.
I’ve said all season watching this team that it feels like sweet 16 will be as far as this team will go.

We haven’t played the top teams in the country that have physical rosters up & down the lineup.

Those teams will beat us soundly I’m afraid.

Reactions: Hercuhawk
While an elite post would have been great, we just needed a decent player that can D up a bigger post & is a reasonable enough threat on O to score or force double-teams.

Hannah’s not big enough & it was obvious coming into the season that the other 3 stiffs wouldn’t cut it.
Don’t quarrel with your analysis, just interested who in the portal met your criteria and might have been open to Iowa?

Was thinking something similar. This team without Clark is…bad. Really unfortunate that next years team likely reverts to being irrelevant with half full attendance.
Aren't there several really good recruits coming in next year? They will certainly take a significant step back. But there might be some solid talent there to build a future around. Plus we are going to get Maddyn Greenway in a few years too. :p

This is of course the one thing that people either ignore or overlook. This isn't the mens portal there guys. Outside of Betts please give us YOUR list of just WHO the bigs were that were in the portal that Lisa didn't go after. I could wait for your answer,but already knowing that there were NO other bigs in the portal that would have been an upgrade. your list will be hard to come by, but please do the leg work and let us know who she "botched the portal"on.....

I’ve said all season watching this team that it feels like sweet 16 will be as far as this team will go.

We haven’t played the top teams in the country that have physical rosters up & down the lineup.

Those teams will beat us soundly I’m afraid.
agreed sweet16 is probably the high water mark for this team. No offense to the existing players at the 5. but they will not be effective against physical teams. JMO, but time will tell, and I hope I am wrong.

This is of course the one thing that people either ignore or overlook. This isn't the mens portal there guys. Outside of Betts please give us YOUR list of just WHO the bigs were that were in the portal that Lisa didn't go after. I could wait for your answer,but already knowing that there were NO other bigs in the portal that would have been an upgrade. your list will be hard to come by, but please do the leg work and let us know who she "botched the portal"on.....
I am not the one saying Bluder botched the portal, Chicagoherky71 is. Think you may have replied to wrong message.

I know it wasn’t possible, but wouldn’t it have been nice to have used the funds spent on Cade and Erick All and used it to buy some women’s post players

You know, the team that could have actually won a conference or national title

Cade was a bust and All got hurt...but that is football NIL money, not women's basketbll NIL money. If you want more NIL money for women's b-ball, donate .

Yep. Besides she is in record as saying they tried but couldn't find one who was interested and I'm sure money came into play as well.
There were over 100 WBB players 6ft2 or taller entered the portal this past offseason. Granted, more than half of those players would not fare well in a major college program such as Iowa. But many - more than a dozen - would excel at Iowa and quite a few ended up choosing a B10/SEC/PAC school.

Major fail by Bluder. Pray that Stuelke stays healthy for a reasonable shot at the F4.

How many 5’s were in the portal last year? Our current bar is so low, guessing at least 20% of them would be a decent upgrade.

Reactions: SB_SB
This was the chance to drop big cash (500k plus) to get a quality, athletic big. Then you can slide Hannah to the four. And make a run at a national title.
Caitlin can win a national title but there is no margin for error. Like a second round game against a 7 through 10 seed at Carver loss wouldn’t surprise me against a physical team. Just like a national title wouldn’t surprise me.

This was the chance to drop big cash (500k plus) to get a quality, athletic big. Then you can slide Hannah to the four. And make a run at a national title.
Caitlin can win a national title but there is no margin for error. Like a second round game against a 7 through 10 seed at Carver loss wouldn’t surprise me against a physical team. Just like a national title wouldn’t surprise me.
You're assuming that there was $500k available to womens program to use on NIL. This at a time when Barta was still not talking to the Swarm Collective so it was severely hamstrung in its fundraising efforts.

You're assuming that there was $500k available to womens program to use on NIL. This at a time when Barta was still not talking to the Swarm Collective so it was severely hamstrung in its fundraising efforts.
This would not have come from the Swarm. It would have been outside of it. Get a big donor or big company to do it. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Just look at Rutgers men’s basketball for next season. That’s how it should have been done. Not sure who is paying for two of the top three guys in next years class to play basketball at Rutgers, rumor is Jersey Mike’s.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT