ADVERTISEMENT

Boat owners: Overall, do you like having a boat?

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
I know the common sayings:
- It's better to have a friend with a boat, than to have a boat, and
- The two best days of a boat owner's life are the day they buy the boat, and the day they sell the boat.

For people who own a boat, are these sayings true? Or do you like having a boat, and are glad you have one?

Thanks in advance!

For your trouble (and maybe some cheap likes):

1000_F_69594432_3uu7dw6PumsSLziBM3hzt4GGsor7VluP.jpg

images

b9c460ff22423b4737e59321c74f5612.jpg

4c8cb5d2d5d04.jpg

629667130159b0ea1745c2fe0888d145.jpeg

Absolutely. My family and I love being on the water especially fishing. I'm handy enough to take care of all the basic maintenance and repairs that pop up from time to time. Many of our best memories as a family have been when we're out on the boat making the occasional headaches well worth it.

I love our jet skis. We keep them docked on the water all summer which is a huge time saver. We can go from our house to the water in 45 minutes which allows us to use them on weekdays. Also helps if you're somewhat handy and can do the basic upkeep yourself.

How many yachts are you going to purchase in 2024, Russ?
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I now have a pool for the first time. I'm also in close proximity to some really nice lakes. Trying to figure out if this would be a good addition or not.

The good thing is that pool/boat season here is ~5 months. Maybe 6. So there will be plenty of weekends for both. I just don't know if I really want/ need it.

I think it'd get plenty of use, as will the pool. But I don't know if I'll get myself into constant maintenance and repairs to keep it operational, or if it's more "give it gas, and go".

Reactions: BrianNole777
I fish and have a fishing boat. So yeah I love having my boat.
Boats like shown above never was my style and the women pics would not be in/on my boat even in younger years. I was married to my current wife 53 yrs ago and that's all I ever needed in my boat.
Dreams maybe are different but not in my boat. ;>)

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
We love our boat. We’ve been boat owners for over 10 years. This is our 2nd boat. A 23’ Larson Bowrider that comfortably seats 8. We also a have 2 wave runners that are awesome too. Maintenance and repairs do suck, but we budget for it. Last year zero spent of the boat, but a couple grand spent on the wave runners.

We spend about 30 days of our summer on the lake and we love every second of it.

No regrets here with owning a boat.

The third saying is “If it floats, flies or ****s, rent it.”
Kinda funny one about renting something that flies from my airline pilot buddy that also uses that expression.... He doesn't have a plane of his own (his dad has some family planes though), but he bought a hangar outside Chicago. Makes a killing renting it. Apparently in heavily populated areas hangars are impossible to get your hands on. Since planes essentially last forever with annual maintenance checks and rebuilds the supply is always growing, but we're not really building new airports, and getting your hands on hangar space is pretty difficult. Apparently storing a plane around that area is exponentially harder than storing a boat and commands a hefty premium.

I work on my boat as a charter captain and a solo commercial fisherman, so I'm in a different situation than most...but yes, boats are amazing. I just put 40K into a repower on my 30 footer and I am buying a second more trailer friendly commercial fishing boat to chase the bites up and down the coast. If you love to fish, do it. I can't imagine my life without a boat.

Love having a boat, but we also have a dock and boat lift on East Okoboji. Maintenance is pretty minimal. After being winterized the boat sits in the garage for the winter. The only downfall to having a boat are the dipshits that also own a boat and are clueless on the lakes on how to safely operate it

I've had a pontoon for a number of years, and enjoy it very much. We mostly just use it at our lake place but sometimes trailer it up to one the areas where a river dumps into the gulf (Weeki Wachee and Homosassa are both fairly close, we usually go scalloped once or twice every season).

I know the common sayings:
- It's better to have a friend with a boat, than to have a boat, and
- The two best days of a boat owner's life are the day they buy the boat, and the day they sell the boat.

For people who own a boat, are these sayings true? Or do you like having a boat, and are glad you have one?

Thanks in advance!

For your trouble (and maybe some cheap likes):

1000_F_69594432_3uu7dw6PumsSLziBM3hzt4GGsor7VluP.jpg

images

b9c460ff22423b4737e59321c74f5612.jpg

4c8cb5d2d5d04.jpg

629667130159b0ea1745c2fe0888d145.jpeg
Those are well deserved likes, sir.

I've had a pontoon for a number of years, and enjoy it very much. We mostly just use it at our lake place but sometimes trailer it up to one the areas where a river dumps into the gulf (Weeki Wachee and Homosassa are both fairly close, we usually go scalloped once or twice every season).
Those are great spots.Ever go as far North as Crystal River or Cedar Key with the pontoon?

I've had a boat of my own in some fashion since 1971. Parents bought us kids a boat then. I then bought my own 1st boat in the 90's.

So, yeah...can't imagine life without one.

Those are great spots.Ever go as far North as Crystal River or Cedar Key with the pontoon?

I have brought it to Crystal River, that is as far north as I have gone with it. Been to Cedar Key a few times but with someone else's boat.

Reactions: billanole
That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I now have a pool for the first time. I'm also in close proximity to some really nice lakes. Trying to figure out if this would be a good addition or not.

The good thing is that pool/boat season here is ~5 months. Maybe 6. So there will be plenty of weekends for both. I just don't know if I really want/ need it.

I think it'd get plenty of use, as will the pool. But I don't know if I'll get myself into constant maintenance and repairs to keep it operational, or if it's more "give it gas, and go".

Very timely post Russ, Im in the same boat currently. We wanted a boat in CO, it didn't make sense. Now in IL, it makes more sense for the summers. Anything to beat the heat and humidity. We also have a pool, but it will be chilly early season when a boat would be nice. Interested in what folks say, but I expect to store at home and use multiple lakes available. Started down the pontoon path, now looking at a Sundeck Sport as that would be a discounted transfer from the FIL; they feel the boating days are over.

Reactions: billanole
Did you buy a house with a pool or install a new one?
It came with a pool. The pool equipment has been replaced within the last two years - so new pump, heater, control panel, etc. The pool guy says the control panel is pretty high end, so I liked hearing that.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Boats like shown above never was my style and the women pics would not be in/on my boat even in younger years. I was married to my current wife 53 yrs ago and that's all I ever needed in my boat.
I think that, realistically, if I did get a boat, it would more likely than not be a pontoon "party-barge" type boat*. I think that fits what I want from a boat, which is to float around relaxing, listening to music, drinking beer, grilling, some fishing, and jumping off it into the water.

I had a buddy back in the day that had a 38 foot Baja boat** that was awesome (and was several hundred thousand dollars). It was great, and it went like 80mph, but it sucked a LOT of gas (had twin 454s). I don't need to go fast - just room to put some family and friends on there and float around having fun.

*What I'd likely want (although I wouldn't dress as fancy):
berkshire-pontoons-250e.ashx

**It looked like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Get a boat and stop paying for a pool guy. Pools are simple and he’ll bang your wife.
Is it simple? Seems like it'd be a pain to get out there every week and empty the skimmers, robot, and filter; scrub the pool walls; balance the chemicals; and all the other stuff that they do. It looks really nice and I wouldn't want to screw that up.

Is it simple? Seems like it'd be a pain to get out there every week and empty the skimmers, robot, and filter; scrub the pool walls; balance the chemicals; and all the other stuff that they do. It looks really nice and I wouldn't want to screw that up.
It is simple and playing around with balancing a pool is a good time for me. The filter and basket strainers take minutes. I think you’d like having control over your pool and you’re fearing the unknown of something simple.

Edit: Dude is scrubbing the pool walls to make it look like he’s doing something you don’t want to do. It takes a couple minutes.

Last edited:
I think that, realistically, if I did get a boat, it would more likely than not be a pontoon "party-barge" type boat*. I think that fits what I want from a boat, which is to float around relaxing, listening to music, drinking beer, grilling, some fishing, and jumping off it into the water.

I had a buddy back in the day that had a 38 foot Baja boat** that was awesome (and was several hundred thousand dollars). It was great, and it went like 80mph, but it sucked a LOT of gas (had twin 454s). I don't need to go fast - just room to put some family and friends on there and float around having fun.

*What I'd likely want (although I wouldn't dress as fancy):
berkshire-pontoons-250e.ashx

**It looked like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

That is where I started as well. Then discussions and a line on a discount for one of these.

hurricane-sundeck-185-ob-subpage-gallery-03-thumb.jpg

Smaller but stable with a flatter profile. Easier to manveur and tow since I won't keep it in a lake. Can still tow a skier / tube / knee board. Less party barge but more cruising. Who knows. Hurricane Sundeck Sport. I'd wear a blue shirt.

That is where I started as well. Then discussions and a line on a discount for one of these.

hurricane-sundeck-185-ob-subpage-gallery-03-thumb.jpg

Smaller but stable with a flatter profile. Easier to manveur and tow since I won't keep it in a lake. Can still tow a skier / tube / knee board. Less party barge but more cruising. Who knows. Hurricane Sundeck Sport. I'd wear a blue shirt.
That's not bad at all! It's like I'd want, without the pontoon parts.

Can you add a table and grill on there?

There were boat pictures above? 🤣

@NDallasRuss depends on the person if it is "worth" the hassle. Being able to store the boat is definitely an important consideration.
I advise doing a couple of weekend rentals to determine what boat best fits what you want. A friend was dead set on a pontoon and now hates it because of the limitations. He is back in the market for something he can get out into the gulf( although that would not be a factor for you)

@NDallasRuss DO NOT DO IT!!!! just sold my boat in Nov and it was even BETTER than the day I bought it. Trust me, I gave into the boat fever and it was not at all worth it. Had some fun sure. But not enough to justify it
Was it the cost of maintaining / operating it? Or was it that it seemed something was always needing to be tinkered with? Or the hassle of getting it ready to take out? All of the above?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT