ADVERTISEMENT

Pregaming for the BiG10’s

All of the above.
The South Shore of Long Island is abundant with tuna, the three target species we go for are blue fin, big eye and yellow fin.
For blue fin we troll lures and rigged baits, we jig, we cast top water and sinking lures, we also use live or dead bait on anchor or drift. Yellow fin is mostly trolling during the day and chunking day or night. Big eye tuna we troll mostly but sometimes we jig and you can also live/dead bait drift, big eye tend to stay deeper in the water column down around 200 to 250' so they need to be brought up or get baits down to them, where the other two feed on the surface regularly.
There are sometimes other tuna mixed in as well like albacore, false albacore, skip jack, little tuna and bonita. Most are considered bait fish unless we run into true Albacore. While fishing for tuna we also can land other species like Mahi Mahi, white marlin, swordfish, wahoo and a few others.
Sharking is just drifting and dreaming with chum. Hook bait can be anything from whole live or dead bluefish, mackerel, small tuna or filet of anything bloody and oily.
I can go on for days, but I highly recommend for a trip of a lifetime you guys try the North Atlantic fisheries, it's Epic and I have fished many many places.
Nice. I fish out of Brielle NJ. Lately Tuna have been "inshore" at about 15 - 40 miles but a fall run out to the canyon is about 100 miles. How far do you go to the fishing grounds?

Reactions: Grip220
I would absolutely get into a trade deal.
I will ship from my home, hand fillet vacuum sealed and frozen- multiple species of some of the best and healthiest most expensive fish in the world to any of you guys that have access to really good homegrown grass feed meat. I will have Tuna, seabass, flounder, tile fish, striped bass, cod, pollock and others, plus The best Clams you have ever had and I can get wild caught shrimp also.
I would take any red meat, beef or wild game, I eat the organ meat also. Ground meat, sausage or any of the above as long as it's high quality farm raised or wild game meat. I don't want the typical crap I get around here at every supermarket or butcher shop.
I’m your Huckleberry Grip…. Pass on an email or #.

I still go to the Red by Selkirk every few years for those big channels. You're right, good times!
Love hearing this…I haven’t been up for many years. My dad & some friends became close with Chuck Norquay who was the inspiration for the statue in town. We fished & socialized with him whenever in town back in late 80’s & 90’s. Sadly, Chuck drown while trying to catch bait (gold eye) below the dam. He & his friend Larry were quite the characters. They promoted the fishing & guided lots of big names who’d come to town. All they asked of us was to bring a bottle of “rye” & carton of cigarettes when we came. It was unbelievable the big cats swimming in that river with average weights running 20-25 lbs.

Nice. I fish out of Brielle NJ. Lately Tuna have been "inshore" at about 15 - 40 miles but a fall run out to the canyon is about 100 miles. How far do you go to the fishing grounds?
We fish the exact same grounds, Im out of Fire Island inlet. 72 miles to the tip of the Hudson. The big boys were hanging in 60-80’ of water all last fall right near us 5 miles off the beach, but I fish near you a bunch by the AP and the mudhole areas also. We should link up and shoot the sh*t while out there VHF 68 or 72 usually ( fishing vessel Fin Addict)

Reactions: el dub
We fish the exact same grounds, Im out of Fire Island inlet. 72 miles to the tip of the Hudson. The big boys were hanging in 60-80’ of water all last fall right near us 5 miles off the beach, but I fish near you a bunch by the AP and the mudhole areas also. We should link up and shoot the sh*t while out there VHF 68 or 72 usually ( fishing vessel Fin Addict)
I don't own a boat. I have several buddies that do and I go along a. few times a summer/fall. I also have a head boat that is a tradition for me to fish at least once per year. Haven't missed a year since my first time out in 1969. Landing a big tuna from the rail of a head boat is quite a feat.

I not much of a fan of trolling but I love to jig and chunk. Feeling the first hit and setting the hook on a large fish is a rush.

My next time in saltwater I'll be on the Delaware after Black Drum. I've caught them over 80 pounds.

Reactions: Grip220
I would absolutely get into a trade deal.
I will ship from my home, hand fillet vacuum sealed and frozen- multiple species of some of the best and healthiest most expensive fish in the world to any of you guys that have access to really good homegrown grass feed meat. I will have Tuna, seabass, flounder, tile fish, striped bass, cod, pollock and others, plus The best Clams you have ever had and I can get wild caught shrimp also.
I would take any red meat, beef or wild game, I eat the organ meat also. Ground meat, sausage or any of the above as long as it's high quality farm raised or wild game meat. I don't want the typical crap I get around here at every supermarket or butcher shop.
How would you like to have some ground up nittany lion? You could make kitty kat burgers out of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT