ADVERTISEMENT

Pregaming for the BiG10’s

Nothing but Spirit Lake walleye for me...:)

Small bass & northern caught in cold water early in the year make for a decent meal but would eat neither during the heat of the summer. I've eaten smaller blue cats caught in the spring in Oklahoma and they were very mild & quite tasty. Never thought I'd say that about catfish...

Reactions: Grip220 and el dub
Not many perch as we go pretty far north. Just south of Pickle Lake. Mainly just Walleye and Northern with the occasional sauger. Some of the lakes are supposed to have Lake Trout but we have never caught any. Whitefish too but again never caught any. Too far north for Muskie.
We used to go to Pelican Narrows in Saskatchewan. (NW of Flin Flon.) lots of walleyes and northern.

Nothing but Spirit Lake walleye for me...:)

Small bass & northern caught in cold water early in the year make for a decent meal but would eat neither during the heat of the summer. I've eaten smaller blue cats caught in the spring in Oklahoma and they were very mild & quite tasty. Never thought I'd say that about catfish...
Mississippi river flatheads and channel cats are delicious.

Have any of you guys ever been offshore fishing for Tuna or sharks
I live 5 miles from the ocean, but never been deep-sea fishing. Looks fun, but expensive. I grew up on the banks of the Cedar, fishing every week from April to deer season. We even speared buffalo, carp, and redhorse in the Spring that we gave to some old Czech guys who smoked them in smokers. (All those little bones go away when you smoke them.)

Nowadays, I wouldn't eat anything from the Cedar. Probably shouldn't have back then either. We also trapped rabbits and muskrats and sold the pelts. Country livin.

Not that I haven't tried but have caught just one fish ever, big ole ugly Carp out of Lake Yankton. Guy at the cleaning station area told me just throw it back in so technically I have never caught one.

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
Mississippi river flatheads and channel cats are delicious.
Maybe a little less so when they get too big however. I liked drinking beer and playing cards while catching catfish. Didn't enjoy the "sour" clam bait. ("aged" fresh water musssels) Drove the catfish crazy though.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
Not that I haven't tried but have caught just one fish ever, big ole ugly Carp out of Lake Yankton. Guy at the cleaning station area told me just throw it back in so technically I have never caught one.
In Europe aren't carp a delicacy? ;)

We used to go to Pelican Narrows in Saskatchewan. (NW of Flin Flon.) lots of walleyes and northern.
Friends of ours owned a cabin on Clearwater Lake N of the The Pas, Manitoba. Not as far north but remember seeing signs for Flin Flon. We only fished Clearwater for lake trout but went to other lakes for walleye and northern. Cormorant Lake was one but can't remember the others. We'd stop in Selkirk (on our way home) for more relaxing fishing on the Red River and catch & release 25-35 lb channel cats. Good times!

Reactions: el dub and Grip220
Can't believe I hjacked my own thread and made it about fishing. Anyho, I would fish ANYWHERE and do! I would absolutely be up for a trip to Canada to mess some of those Wallyeyes and Northerns. Heck lets create a Hawkeye fishing club and do a trip every year to different place.

I've never caught or ate monkfish, so I have no clue about them.
I have caught and ate Burbot, and they taste similar to lobster.
My friends in Nothern Minnesota call them "poor man's lobster".
Damn things are UGLY, but I'm telling you, they are delicious.
we catch Monkfish, one of the ugliest thing that swims. It's known as a poor man's lobster also around here ,The liver is a delicacy to some people overseas.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
we catch Monkfish, one of the ugliest thing that swims. It's known as a poor man's lobster also around here ,The liver is a delicacy to some people overseas.
I'm going to have to do a little research on Monkfish. It sounds like Monkfish and Burbot have a lot of similarities with each other.

Reactions: Grip220
Friends of ours owned a cabin on Clearwater Lake N of the The Pas, Manitoba. Not as far north but remember seeing signs for Flin Flon. We only fished Clearwater for lake trout but went to other lakes for walleye and northern. Cormorant Lake was one but can't remember the others. We'd stop in Selkirk (on our way home) for more relaxing fishing on the Red River and catch & release 25-35 lb channel cats. Good times!
We’ve spent a few nights in The Pas. One of them, I’ll never forget. Lol

Reactions: Bones Malone
Is it even legal to throw them back in the water in SD?

My uncle had friends with ties to a fishing lodge to Lake La Ronge about half way up Saskatchewan. It was a drive with the boats. The northerns were ridiculous up there. Fun to catch. I am more a fish eater than a catcher. Not too effective on the catching. Found I can trade beef for fish from my buddies that fish all the time. Never found a piece of fish I haven't liked yet. High mountain stream brook trout are some of my favorite when camping. Trout isn't for everyone but pan sized brookies from a cold stream at 7000+ feet elevation is darn good. Flesh is almost red in color.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Grip220
My uncle had friends with ties to a fishing lodge to Lake La Ronge about half way up Saskatchewan. It was a drive with the boats. The northerns were ridiculous up there. Fun to catch. I am more a fish eater than a catcher. Not too effective on the catching. Found I can trade beef for fish from my buddies that fish all the time. Never found a piece of fish I haven't liked yet. High mountain stream brook trout are some of my favorite when camping. Trout isn't for everyone but pan sized brookies from a cold stream at 7000+ feet elevation is darn good. Flesh is almost red in color.
I would gladly ship lots of really good eating fish for some high quality beef. I actually would trade anyone who has access to some high quality beef. Fresh caught, cleaned and vacuum sealed.

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
I live 5 miles from the ocean, but never been deep-sea fishing. Looks fun, but expensive. I grew up on the banks of the Cedar, fishing every week from April to deer season. We even speared buffalo, carp, and redhorse in the Spring that we gave to some old Czech guys who smoked them in smokers. (All those little bones go away when you smoke them.)

Nowadays, I wouldn't eat anything from the Cedar. Probably shouldn't have back then either. We also trapped rabbits and muskrats and sold the pelts. Country livin.
Turkey river carp were excellent smoked! Pickled black suckers too.

Reactions: grapplefann
I would gladly ship lots of really good eating fish for some high quality beef. I actually would trade anyone who has access to some high quality beef. Fresh caught, cleaned and vacuum sealed.
Someone in IA should take you up on this. Fish in Boston was traditionally the poor man's meal 50 years ago. Now, not so much. If you look, there are some places that will ship you chilled fresh beef. Traditionally, isn't most beef in Iowa corn-fed? These days, most of the better places offer grass-fed beef for more flavor. Might be healthier, too.

I still go to the Red by Selkirk every few years for those big channels. You're right, good times!

Reactions: Bones Malone
Big ones too I'm sure
Been chasing walleye in various places in Canada for 40+ years. Biggest one anyone in the family has caught (~33") was south of Pelican Rapids on Tobin Lake (Saskatchewan River). Also remember taking a day and driving to Cumberland House, native community that was the first inland fur post of the Hudson's Bay Company. Had to laugh when we found a Chinese restaurant in that tiny town. Also remember passing a beaver lodge that someone had put a satellite dish on top for some rural humor.

Yes. How do you fish for Tuna? Troll or drift with jigs and chunk bait? I assume your anchored or drifting with chunk bait for sharks.
All of the above.
The South Shore of Long Island is abundant with tuna, the three target species we go for are blue fin, big eye and yellow fin.
For blue fin we troll lures and rigged baits, we jig, we cast top water and sinking lures, we also use live or dead bait on anchor or drift. Yellow fin is mostly trolling during the day and chunking day or night. Big eye tuna we troll mostly but sometimes we jig and you can also live/dead bait drift, big eye tend to stay deeper in the water column down around 200 to 250' so they need to be brought up or get baits down to them, where the other two feed on the surface regularly.
There are sometimes other tuna mixed in as well like albacore, false albacore, skip jack, little tuna and bonita. Most are considered bait fish unless we run into true Albacore. While fishing for tuna we also can land other species like Mahi Mahi, white marlin, swordfish, wahoo and a few others.
Sharking is just drifting and dreaming with chum. Hook bait can be anything from whole live or dead bluefish, mackerel, small tuna or filet of anything bloody and oily.
I can go on for days, but I highly recommend for a trip of a lifetime you guys try the North Atlantic fisheries, it's Epic and I have fished many many places.

Last edited:
Someone in IA should take you up on this. Fish in Boston was traditionally the poor man's meal 50 years ago. Now, not so much. If you look, there are some places that will ship you chilled fresh beef. Traditionally, isn't most beef in Iowa corn-fed? These days, most of the better places offer grass-fed beef for more flavor. Might be healthier, too.
I would absolutely get into a trade deal.
I will ship from my home, hand fillet vacuum sealed and frozen- multiple species of some of the best and healthiest most expensive fish in the world to any of you guys that have access to really good homegrown grass feed meat. I will have Tuna, seabass, flounder, tile fish, striped bass, cod, pollock and others, plus The best Clams you have ever had and I can get wild caught shrimp also.
I would take any red meat, beef or wild game, I eat the organ meat also. Ground meat, sausage or any of the above as long as it's high quality farm raised or wild game meat. I don't want the typical crap I get around here at every supermarket or butcher shop.

Snook, cobia and pompano are all great.

Anybody want to wade fly fish the Nehalem and Clackamas Rivers in Oregon in September?

You in the city, Pack? Glencoe here.
Even though I grew up close to a trout hatchery with plenty of streams nearby, fly fishing isn’t my thing. I’ll be jigging for walleye in northwest Ontario in early September. But thanks. Grayslake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT