ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Diaco...thoughts from Iowa fans.

It's hard to argue that Riley is a long-visioned, calculus planner type with the now-yearly firings of people he's worked with his whole life. If he's still "learning the ropes" of how to handle Nebraska's expectations, well, there you go.

Such a predictable response. Find me a dirty play from his time at Nebraska. I'll wait. Because that's what we're talking about - his performance on the field at Nebraska. He was one of the most dominant defensive football player in the last 25 years. Arguably the most dominant.

Is there something wrong with appreciating the level he played at while at Nebraska? Because it was a rebuttal to the inaccurate statement made by a Hawk that Nebraska's defense hasn't been dominant/feared since the 90's. So, someone reminds him that the 2009 defense of Nebraska was extremely dominant and feared, and you say, "yeah, but he plays really dirty in the NFL." And???
Fool. His own team mates said he was a dirty player in practice at Nebraska. Most couldn't stand him. He embarrasses the Nebraska program. The Nebraska Mt Rushmore...Phillips, Peters, Rodgers and Suh.

Fool. His own team mates said he was a dirty player in practice at Nebraska. Most couldn't stand him. He embarrasses the Nebraska program. The Nebraska Mt Rushmore...Phillips, Peters, Rodgers and Suh.

Show me a play of him as a dirty player at Nebraska. Evidence. Seeing as how every single game was on some sort of television channel, you have plenty of content you can comb through to find Suh being a dirty player for the Huskers. You can't do it? Oh. your comeback is "a few of his teammates said he was dirty". Well that settles it. The fact that you know is true is that he did absolutely nothing to embarrass the program while he was here. There is no reason for Husker fans to be ashamed of how he represented the program when he wore the gear. End of story.

I played college football, there were lots of guys trading jabs and occasional cheap shots, especially when you get sick of butting heads with the guys across from you. Take your he-said, she-said stuff somewhere else.

Last edited:

Since when does he have to be liked by teammates? Michael Jordan was not a popular teammate. So? You're desperate. It's making me giggle.

It's hard to argue that Riley is a long-visioned, calculus planner type with the now-yearly firings of people he's worked with his whole life. If he's still "learning the ropes" of how to handle Nebraska's expectations, well, there you go.

Fact of the matter is he has improved his staff every year he has been here. Spin it how you want, his staff has improved every time he has made changes.

Show me a play of him as a dirty player at Nebraska. Evidence. Seeing as how every single game was on some sort of television channel, you have plenty of content you can comb through to find Suh being a dirty player for the Huskers. You can't do it? Oh. your comeback is "a few of his teammates said he was dirty". Well that settles it. The fact that you know is true is that he did absolutely nothing to embarrass the program while he was here. There is no reason for Husker fans to be ashamed of how he represented the program when he wore the gear. End of story.

I played college football, there were lots of guys trading jabs and occasional cheap shots, especially when you get sick of butting heads with the guys across from you. Take your he-said, she-said stuff somewhere else.
Even VT fans have enough class to disown Vick. But class and Nebraska don't go together in the same sentence. Suh is disgusting. Which makes you disgusting. Did you giggle a lot on this so called team you played on. And as an Iowa fan, I will keep my views on the Iowa board. Only a loser posts on a competing teams board. 40-10. Bye.

My only thought about Nebraska is that they let a good one go in Bo Pelini. Happy he's gone because he had chops. It's going to be fun stomping NU for years to come....

My take is that the likelihood of continuing to "stomp" NE in the future lessened when Bo was fired.

Even VT fans have enough class to disown Vick. But class and Nebraska don't go together in the same sentence. Suh is disgusting. Which makes you disgusting. Did you giggle a lot on this so called team you played on. And as an Iowa fan, I will keep my views on the Iowa board. Only a loser posts on a competing teams board. 40-10. Bye.

You're now so desperate that you are comparing Michael Vick's offense against innocent animals to Suh being a dirty player in the NFL (which has nothing to do with his play at Nebraska). LOL. Well done. It's clear that you're the loser is in this conversation.

Deal with it. I'm here. Go hide under your covers if you can't handle it, snowflake.

Again, trying to bring this back to the conversation that you derailed because you cannot win it, contrary to what was posted by a fellow Hawk, Nebraska had an extremely excellent defense in 2009, which happens to be after the late 90's as claimed by the previous poster. You're so threatened by Nebraska that you can't admit when they've been excellent? I have no problem whatsoever giving Iowa props where it's been earned. You have to have to denigrate an entire fan base because you aren't capable of engaging in a civil conversation and being shown to be wrong. Grow up.

Such a predictable response. Find me a dirty play from his time at Nebraska. I'll wait. Because that's what we're talking about - his performance on the field at Nebraska. He was one of the most dominant defensive football player in the last 25 years. Arguably the most dominant.

Is there something wrong with appreciating the level he played at while at Nebraska? Because it was a rebuttal to the inaccurate statement made by a Hawk that Nebraska's defense hasn't been dominant/feared since the 90's. So, someone reminds him that the 2009 defense of Nebraska was extremely dominant and feared, and you say, "yeah, but he plays really dirty in the NFL." And???

AND..... He didn't get caught with drugs - at least that the public knows about, which is not uncommon for UN defensive linemen.

2009? Every now and then even a turd floats.

Let's review who put of 50 or more points against each team this century:

Iowa: 2014 Minnesota 51 points

UN:
2016 OSU 62 points
2015 Purdue (lol) 55 points
2014 Wisconsin 59 points
2012 Ohio State 63 points
Wisconsin 70 points !!!!
2008 Missouri 52 points
Oklahoma 62 points
2007 Kansas 76 points !!!!
Colorado 65 points
2004 Texas Tech 70 points
2001 Colorado 62 points

The fact is the pinkskirts have been lit up for more that 70 points 3 times this century. The last time someone scored 70 or more against Iowa? 1950!

Go rewind your VCR's When you join us this century don't worry about that Y2K thing - it's really no big deal.

AND..... He didn't get caught with drugs - at least that the public knows about, which is not uncommon for UN defensive linemen.

2009? Every now and then even a turd floats.

Let's review who put of 50 or more points against each team this century:

Iowa: 2014 Minnesota 51 points

UN:
2016 OSU 62 points
2015 Purdue (lol) 55 points
2014 Wisconsin 59 points
2012 Ohio State 63 points
Wisconsin 70 points !!!!
2008 Missouri 52 points
Oklahoma 62 points
2007 Kansas 76 points !!!!
Colorado 65 points
2004 Texas Tech 70 points
2001 Colorado 62 points

The fact is the pinkskirts have been lit up for more that 70 points 3 times this century. The last time someone scored 70 or more against Iowa? 1950!

Go rewind your VCR's When you join us this century don't worry about that Y2K thing - it's really no big deal.

This has nothing to do with what I was refuting. Absolutely none. I love how you infer that Suh was on steroids when there has been absolutely no suggestion of it. Ever. Keep changing the conversation. When you can't win, deflect and pivot.

Get some new material. I was trying to have a civilized conversation debating a false claim. Then you turds show up and can't handle the truth so you go full Fox News and pretend the conversation is about something completely unrelated.

Reactions: bgrams7
This has nothing to do with what I was refuting. Absolutely none. I love how you infer that Suh was on steroids when there has been absolutely no suggestion of it. Ever. Keep changing the conversation. When you can't win, deflect and pivot.

Get some new material. I was trying to have a civilized conversation debating a false claim. Then you turds show up and can't handle the truth so you go full Fox News and pretend the conversation is about something completely unrelated.

I didn't infer that he was on steroids. Pot is the drug of choice for the UN DL.

You're now so desperate that you are comparing Michael Vick's offense against innocent animals to Suh being a dirty player in the NFL (which has nothing to do with his play at Nebraska). LOL. Well done. It's clear that you're the loser is in this conversation.

Deal with it. I'm here. Go hide under your covers if you can't handle it, snowflake.

Again, trying to bring this back to the conversation that you derailed because you cannot win it, contrary to what was posted by a fellow Hawk, Nebraska had an extremely excellent defense in 2009, which happens to be after the late 90's as claimed by the previous poster. You're so threatened by Nebraska that you can't admit when they've been excellent? I have no problem whatsoever giving Iowa props where it's been earned. You have to have to denigrate an entire fan base because you aren't capable of engaging in a civil conversation and being shown to be wrong. Grow up.

Nebraska had a really good defense in 2009. I don't think that takes away from the point that Nebraska's defense has been mediocre to gawd awful for quite some time. Here's an example:

And yet another:

Michael Vick's dog fighting scandal was terrible. Suh is still a dirty player. You need a checkup from the neck up if you think otherwise.

Reactions: Ree4
Bo Pelini is now coaching at the level he is best suited for as a head coach. He is a very good X and O coach. He's not a CEO coach. He had no idea how to surround himself with proper assistants and how to lead his coaches or his players. The bunker mentality he instilled in his players wore very very thin with administration, fans, media. Had you had this at Iowa, I'm certain most Hawk fans would have been disgusted with it as well. Having Ferentz as the CEO of your program, you ought to know better than the believe Bo Pelini was a good head coach. He was in over his head.
Yeah, I wish Bo Pelini had stayed at Nebraska...such a tool, he was a great fit for their program.

Or, you could take yourself somewhere else little red.

Quote > "I played college football, there were lots of guys trading jabs and occasional cheap shots, especially when you get sick of butting heads with the guys across from you. Take your he-said, she-said stuff somewhere else".

Does anyone on here believe that ThrowBones played college football? I do not believe that a former player would be on another teams message board acting all butt hurt. I can "maybe" see a former player going to his own teams message board and reading some of the forums .... but as far as even posting - let alone going to another teams board? Not buying it. I'm thinking he's 16 years old and goes to school all decked out in Red everyday.

Lol, Suh's college career is pretty "forgettable". Then again, so is Neb football.

Nebraska had a really good defense in 2009. I don't think that takes away from the point that Nebraska's defense has been mediocre to gawd awful for quite some time. Here's an example:

And yet another:

Michael Vick's dog fighting scandal was terrible. Suh is still a dirty player. You need a checkup from the neck up if you think otherwise.

If you read the thread, a poster said Nebraska hadn't had a dominant defense since the late 90's. That is not true. The 2009 defense was very dominant. Please refute that statement. So far, the refute has been:
1) Yeah but Suh is a dirty player - I said, show me evidence of him being a dirty player in college. None has been shown.
2) Suh's dirty play was equates to someone who went to prison for his engagement in dog fighting. Read that again. And YOU are continuing that narrative. It's laughable that people want to tie those two things together. Be objective.
3) Suh may have been on drugs (not PEDs, but marijuana), because weed is apparently the choice of Nebraska d-linemen...? WTF.

To re-summarize - Nebraska's last dominant defense was not in the late 90's. It was in 2009. If you have evidence suggesting otherwise, please share. If you don't have evidence, then deflect and pivot, I guess.

I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to disconnect what Suh did at Nebraska with what he's done in the NFL. He still contributes to the negative stigma people have with former Nebraska players even if he did behave in Lincoln.

http://nypost.com/2011/11/25/jets-slauson-says-former-college-teammate-suh-out-of-control/
I read that article in 2011 when it came out. I'm asking you to please show me what he did in a Nebraska uniform? Because he had no attention drawn to him for dirty play on the field at Nebraska.

He behaved in Lincoln while playing for the Cornhuskers. You are exactly correct. That is what I care about. Am I glad Nebraska has players starting in the league? I'm happy for them. I'm not one of those fans that can't emotionally detach from former players and coaches.

We're talking about dirty play between OL and DL in practice. Holy crap. Someone call the police. If you played college football, you'd understand why an OL dishing on a DL's cheap shots is not big news. Sometimes, there are dudes that are bad@$$es and just don't GAF if they are liked by teammates. Sometimes they cross the line in practice. I've seen it happen, heck I've probably done it, and we chalk it up to emotions and frustration and sometimes stuff happens in practice between the lines. We fight it out and we move on. It honestly sounds like a dude who got his butt kicked in a little practice brawl and is still smarting about it. Bottom line, he represented the University of Nebraska very well on Saturdays in the fall. It also doesn't take away from his dominance at Nebraska.

Quote > "I played college football, there were lots of guys trading jabs and occasional cheap shots, especially when you get sick of butting heads with the guys across from you. Take your he-said, she-said stuff somewhere else".

Does anyone on here believe that ThrowBones played college football? I do not believe that a former player would be on another teams message board acting all butt hurt. I can "maybe" see a former player going to his own teams message board and reading some of the forums .... but as far as even posting - let alone going to another teams board? Not buying it. I'm thinking he's 16 years old and goes to school all decked out in Red everyday.

Try me.

th

Quote > "Try Me"

My dad is bigger than your dad.

If you read the thread, a poster said Nebraska hadn't had a dominant defense since the late 90's. That is not true. The 2009 defense was very dominant. Please refute that statement. So far, the refute has been:
1) Yeah but Suh is a dirty player - I said, show me evidence of him being a dirty player in college. None has been shown.
2) Suh's dirty play was equates to someone who went to prison for his engagement in dog fighting. Read that again. And YOU are continuing that narrative. It's laughable that people want to tie those two things together. Be objective.
3) Suh may have been on drugs (not PEDs, but marijuana), because weed is apparently the choice of Nebraska d-linemen...? WTF.

To re-summarize - Nebraska's last dominant defense was not in the late 90's. It was in 2009. If you have evidence suggesting otherwise, please share. If you don't have evidence, then deflect and pivot, I guess.
Ok Cornholer. Piling on the VT player when he was out of bounds. A personal foul and an unsportsmanlike penalty on the same play. Dirty and cost his team the game. Let's see, fighting dogs or trying to intentionally maim another human being, both equally disgusting. How's that great 2017 recruiting class doimg?

Lets get back to the subject, what the hell is up with Nebraska women's hairstyles?! I just had 2 (seperate occasions) yesterday stop by my office. Did that whole state of women make a pact that they wouldn't modernize their hair until Neb wins a Nat Title. Good Lord Nebbers!

Reactions: NITE HAWK6

My very first sentence was:

Nebraska had a really good defense in 2009.

I've casually followed the thread. I get you caught the poster with a minor technicality (2009 Nebraska defense) but overall, big picture, it is quite accurate the Nebraska defense is not even a shadow of the old "Blackshirt" days. In other words, 2009 is an anomaly; the exception, not the norm.

You're trying too hard.

Reactions: Ree4 and ichawk24
I'm the poster that pointed out the technicality and yes, he is trying too hard. Nebraska's had one great defense and maybe 2 or 3 good defensive units since 2000, with the rest being okay at best to shambolic at worst. End of story.

You guys argue like you're in elementary school.

8 points
  • I have no problem with Bob at Nebraska. It's coaching.
  • Nebraska now sucks. Can you blame them for wanting to be like Iowa?
  • If you want to be like Iowa, hire Iowa Men. Bobby Elliot & Bob D. & the fabulous Coach K. :confused:
  • Riley is awful. Mrs. Herk was watching him on the BTN and thought he sounded dumb. She was correct.
  • I hope the bug eaters win only 5 or 6 games again. It would be great TV and Radio for sure!!!!
hi-res-157301499_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Some of Bret Bielema's antics as a player at Iowa were certainly something less than classy ... and yet many (if not most) Iowa fans were happy to celebrate him as a Hawk. Many football players are great people ... but also, many of them are pretty bad. One of my students (in Lincoln) was the sister of a former girlfriend of Tommy Frazier - she hated him with a passion because he beat her sister. Until we know the back-stories of these young men ... it is usually safest to reserve judgement.

I disagree. Nebraska almost won the 2009 Big 12 Championship with only their defense, allowing 10.4 ppg that year and Ndamukong Suh winning many of the nation's defensive awards in addition to the AP Player of the Year award. The offense that year was atrocious at times. I'll never forget that year's 9-7 home loss to Iowa State in which Nebraska turned the ball over something like 8 times. There have been a few other seasons in which Nebraska's defense has been very solid, and some years not so much (to say the least).

As a Nebraskan/Nebraska fan, I personally have never really understood the big deal about the "Blackshirts". Yeah it was cool when they implemented it and Nebraska was known for having a consistently good to great defense, but it seems to be something many Nebraska fans continue to hang their hat on despite many occasions in recent years in which the Huskers have been embarrassed on the defensive side of the ball (too many to pinpoint, but the ones that spring to mind are the 70-10 loss to Texas Tech, last year's loss to OSU, and getting throttled by a Wisconsin team in the Big Ten Championship a few years ago that finished 3rd in their division). Why can't we just have a good defense without some moniker that forces the current players to live up to something that is decades old? While I appreciate and respect the accomplishments the Huskers have had on defense and as a program in general, in 2017 it doesn't mean a damn thing and to me, trying to continue a "tradition" based on the color of shirts players wear during practice - not a game, we talkin' 'bout practice - is rather silly.

Best of luck this season Hawkeyes, see you in November, hopefully this time for our team to actually compete.
Well, maybe if they can find another head stomping, personal foul machine like Suh, they can return to those blackshirt days. Kind of doubt, a class guy like Diaco would put up with that crap though.

8 points
  • I have no problem with Bob at Nebraska. It's coaching.
  • Nebraska now sucks. Can you blame them for wanting to be like Iowa?
  • If you want to be like Iowa, hire Iowa Men. Bobby Elliot & Bob D. & the fabulous Coach K. :confused:
  • Riley is awful. Mrs. Herk was watching him on the BTN and thought he sounded dumb. She was correct.
  • I hope the bug eaters win only 5 or 6 games again. It would be great TV and Radio for sure!!!!
hi-res-157301499_crop_north.jpg
Great post & I'll add 2 things: Neb won't be on Iowa's level anytime soon & I think 5 wins is their max this year. I could see them only winning 4.

You are correct on Nebraska not being at Iowa's level anytime soon. Since 2009 Nebraska has 72 wins to Iowa's 62.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT