ADVERTISEMENT

Bostick to the portal

Bostick and Bud didn't "jive". Bostick was not feeling the coaching transition to Bud and/ or Lester is your best bet here. He is healthy finally and saw a chance to get out and start fresh. Even if Buie passed him on the depth chart they still need receivers. I seriously doubt he was pushed out.

Congrats to Bostick for getting away from this shitshow!

I love a few of the posters trying to paint this latest exit as somehow an indication that things are improving on offense.

Deacon Hill still getting snaps is all we need to know.

It's going to take 2-4 yrs for TL's offense (if he is allowed to actually run it) to be seen. TL has to recruit the players HE wants running his offense, not the left-over scraps of the worst offense in D1.
In this day and age, it should only take two years to fully implement a new offense with the right players.

Reactions: littlez
Given the fact we're 8 or so schollies over the limit, and given the fact that Terrell Washington was moved from RB to WR, and given the fact that Wetjen seems to be ascending.....my guess is Bostick was encouraged to pursue other opportunities.
Yup, plenty of mid major offers out of HS - although he did have an offer from Bert, so I wonder if he lands in Champaign….🤔 (which would be a step down at the program level, but obviously a step up Offensively speaking)

Last edited:
There are no positives when losing one of the better players off the team's worst and thinnest positions. Bostick is sending a message.

Bostick, while not a good player by any means, is a likely starter on a Big Ten team at Iowa. Elsewhere...literally anywhere, including the MAC, he's a bench warmer, yet he's choosing to leave. That's what happens when Kirk lazily botches the hiring of the most important position coach on a college football team at OC...and opts to promote rather than fire Iowa's worst coach to WR coach.

This offense, led by America's worst QB last year, is going to be putrid. If you thought defenses loaded the box to stuff the run last year...wait til this year.
Oh yeah ? We will still beat your clones !

Reactions: foxb

I love a few of the posters trying to paint this latest exit as somehow an indication that things are improving on offense.

I agree 100 percent. But having Deacon getting snaps is not on Lester. It’s squarely on Budmayer for bringing him in, Brian for not developing Deacon or being able to scheme for another quarterback, and Kirk for allowing this all to happen and never adjust at quarterback. None of this is Lester’s fault.

I think, that they moved a couple guys to WR out of necessity, as we do not have a ton of scholarship WR's (no schollies to bring in any from the porthole either) and the guys they moved are pretty athletic. Possibly even football smart and took to the new opportunity and position like a duck to water. Him being a sophomore and realizing if he can't beat out these guys this year, he will be a Jr next year, he decided to see if he could go somewhere else with an easier path to a starting gig. That would be my guess. But I am an optimist and so I see it as a good sign maybe the WR room is showing some little signs of competition.

Congratulating an unproven player for leaving the team, nice.

Kinda funny bro because if you paid attention, Lester recruited Bostick to WM when he was the head guy there!
Which was my only real complaint about hiring Lester. He needs to aim a little higher now in recruiting and it is not going to be an easy sell to start pulling in more 4 star wr and QB's based on the programs past. BUT also he can sell it as, if you go to this other school who has all 4 and 5 star wr's and qb's your path to playing time is slimmer. Plus he has had success coaching up the positions before. What it really comes down to is the ability to burn a defense for stacking the box. If he can figure that out, it opens the run game up and just like that we are a much much better team.

Meh.
What's to get worked up about? This isn't the case of a proven wr leaving a high powered offense. This is at best a little known and sparingly used wr leaving a disaster of an offense at a position that will have a hard time getting to the number of catches as an entire position group that the top individual receivers have for the season. There will be plenty of guys available to distribute the 5 to 7 catches a game coming their way.
Of the MANY problems that the offense has this player deciding to move on is very low on the list.
We have not 1 proven wide receiver on the entire roster. Now clearly, Bostick is another one of our receivers who had proven nothing in his small amount of time at Iowa. Over the last 3-4 years we have proven it's almost impossible to get on the field no matter how bad our other wide receivers are. At some point we have to actually put a receiver on the field that can catch along w/a Qb that can throw him the ball.

There are no positives when losing one of the better players off the team's worst and thinnest positions. Bostick is sending a message.

Bostick, while not a good player by any means, is a likely starter on a Big Ten team at Iowa. Elsewhere...literally anywhere, including the MAC, he's a bench warmer, yet he's choosing to leave. That's what happens when Kirk lazily botches the hiring of the most important position coach on a college football team at OC...and opts to promote rather than fire Iowa's worst coach to WR coach.

This offense, led by America's worst QB last year, is going to be putrid. If you thought defenses loaded the box to stuff the run last year...wait til this year.
Better players, you say? Based on what exactly, the amazing skill he's shown in his two years at Iowa? Oh shoot, my bad, I thought we were talking about someone who actually played......... o_O

God damn you're dumb. I truly hope you don't practice any sort of law.

DE quote tweeted it making it sound like more are to come from the offensive side. My guess is we see a heavy usage of TE's and RB's in this new era of offense.

Not true. If you were paying attention you'd know that it's been reported that the new offense is Wide Receiver friendly.

full text of the tweet from just 5 days ago:

Deacon Hill on Tim Lester's offense being Wide Receiver-friendly:

“We throw the ball a lot. There’s new route combinations, new routes they’re learning to run. We’re pretty aggressive downfield. Lester likes to take some shots.”

Followed up with him. Does Kirk Ferentz approve of all this throwing?

“KF’s just kind of been with the O-line like he always is. This is kind of Lester’s show right now.”

I think it has more to do with the QB room to be honest.
Based on what?

Maybe.

What if the issue is he doesn’t like the Budster? Or Tim Lester?

Maybe he’s been told he’s not going to get any real PT and it would be in his best interest to move on.

If I had to guess, it probably has to do with PT. Or the Budster.

just look at IowasLaw's Brody Brecht thread....or any of his threads.....

he might now even be an Iowa fan with all the trolling he does
I always thought he was IowaSlaw.

2249666-e581985128c0407ba520846020cc774e.jpg

A few comments ...

• As other already indicated, we're over the 'ship limit ... so some attrition had to happen.
  • Even with the new OC's O being a little more WR-friendly ... Iowa's O is always still going to give its TEs and RBs a lot of touches. Thus, Iowa is still a team that will pretty much max out at a 5-man WR rotation.
  • Given the prior point ... who are the top 5 WRs? Given how most places work ... even with a 5-man rotation ... most of the offensive design is geared towards getting your top guys into mismatches. Thus, things would still be designed for 1 or 2 guys to get most of the touches. It would strike me from prior experience AND via buzz ... the 3 of the top candidates are pretty obvious ... Brown, Anderson, and Wetjen. However, past those guys, Washington moved to WR ... and I know the coaches really liked him from last year AND he was already earning trust and reps then too! So what ... that means that Buie, Howard, and Mota are also fighting to be in that top 5.
  • You gotta remember that we have a few WRs entering as TR FR from the '24 class too. So they'll be able to enter the competition once they hit campus. The coaches really liked Vander Zee and Parker.
  • The TE room still should be quite strong. Lachey is an absolute stud ... Ostrenga continues to push ... and Ortwerth jumped on the scene last year.
  • IF the Hawks can keep our existing RB room intact ... that room seems to only get better. Last year, even with all the injuries ... both Washington and Moulton acquitted themselves quite well last year. The room has talent and contrast. If the blocking is there ... our rushing game will be ready.

Hey, where's your post shi**ing on Iowa women's basketball, and namely Caitlin Clark, for failing to win a national championship?

I expect a thread by you in the next month, or at least some post hating on women's sports, otherwise I'm gonna be massively disappointed in your gimmick and assume you're getting lazy in your advancing age.............. :)

Come on man, STOP being a dumbass !

Just a quick look through your post history, and it's truly funny how you manage to contradict yourself so much to fit whatever negative or pessimistic narrative you're trying to spin with each post/thread............... 😆

I’m trying to stay optimistic, but hearing about Lester’s offense 1) throwing the ball a lot and 2) highly reliant on WRs is a combo that’s going to be plenty challenging to start with Deacon Hill throwing a high volume of passes to guys that are now converted WRs. And there’s also the tid bits about a lot of RPO…which doesn’t equate to good things in my mind with either Hill or McNamara running that.

All that seems to lead to we might like the scheme in concept but wow, the misfit of players and talent is going to be rough…!!

With the RPO stuff

I take it less as the QB running off of some zone read and more having the option to throw the ball out wide if the numbers / defense dictates it.

How many opportunities were lost where the defense throws 10 players crashing to the short side of the field leaving our WR 1:1 ? Maybe, just maybe throwing a few times can back the defense off

Nothing against Bostick, but how do you know this with no career stats and a bit of playing time. Sounds to me you are gushing out both ends, Counselor.

The problem is there are not any signs that, outside of TE and a couple RBs, that fans will see any improvement in the offense.
Other than 6 minutes of video, where have you seen signs of the offense not improving. Brown was showing improvement towards the end of the season. Anderson is athletic with good speed. Buie has been coming on. Add those three with our TE's and RB depth, I see a lot of positive signs. I may be one of the few but I think our OL will continue to get better with a more seasoned group.

I’m trying to stay optimistic, but hearing about Lester’s offense 1) throwing the ball a lot and 2) highly reliant on WRs is a combo that’s going to be plenty challenging to start with Deacon Hill throwing a high volume of passes to guys that are now converted WRs. And there’s also the tid bits about a lot of RPO…which doesn’t equate to good things in my mind with either Hill or McNamara running that.

All that seems to lead to we might like the scheme in concept but wow, the misfit of players and talent is going to be rough…!!
Are you just assuming that Cade is not going to be the guy in the fall?

Other than 6 minutes of video, where have you seen signs of the offense not improving. Brown was showing improvement towards the end of the season. Anderson is athletic with good speed. Buie has been coming on. Add those three with our TE's and RB depth, I see a lot of positive signs. I may be one of the few but I think our OL will continue to get better with a more seasoned group.
Wished I shared your optimism.
Regarding the OL...they can't use "youth" as an excuse like they did 2 years ago.

If you have no one better than guys like Richman and DeJong after three years, they're "maxxed" out on growth, imo. Colby regressed last year the few times I watched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT