ADVERTISEMENT

Bostick to the portal

RPOs have absolutely nothing to do with the QB as a ball carrier
Disagree - although I admit it doesn’t have to be about running. My thinking it has more to do with general QB mobility and at least the threat of it being an option. It holds another defender that must be accountable for the QB running. No one is going to feel the need to account for Hill or McNamara running, and both are going to struggle with the agility needed to run an RPO effectively imo.

yszvgmm7v1e6c1yahlaa

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
That’s accurate that we need way more people to leave. We’re over scholarship count so even if we wanted to bring in some help for offense we can’t.

Wasn’t the number something like 7-8 players over the limit ?

So unless we see a huge exodus of players, we’re kinda stuck with what we’ve got. Which on offense is not exciting
Yeah, lose some more wideouts and bring in some more in state LB’ers

Always tough to lose a guy, but hard to say how much he would contribute this fall as he's pretty much an unknown. Still, I'd rather have another option at WR. Other than they need the scholarship room, it's usually not a good thing when someone leaves the program.

That’s accurate that we need way more people to leave. We’re over scholarship count so even if we wanted to bring in some help for offense we can’t.

Wasn’t the number something like 7-8 players over the limit ?

So unless we see a huge exodus of players, we’re kinda stuck with what we’ve got. Which on offense is not exciting
People have to stop with this...one of the effects of NIL is the 85 limit is now irrelevant

If you have a kid transfer in you don't have to put him on schollie...you pay his tuition with NIL...no rule against that...if a current walk-on deserves a schollie...pay a kids tuition with NIL...no rule against that...if a current player graduates and stays (which is common because players now often graduate in 3 years since they are taking classes full year round...no summer break)...NIL pays the tuition...no rule against that...the B10 rule that requires schools to honor a schollie (for HS kids that sign a NLI...not coming from other programs) is up to four years (if they stay eligible) and not for 4 no matter what...the B10 DOES NOT REQUIRE SCHOOLS TO PAY FOR A POST GRAD DEGREE

Many 4th and almost all 5th year players are grad students...yes, they aren't personally paying their tuition but it's NIL and not counting towards the 85...and then we go back to the transfers in...

Forget the 85 rule...it doesn't exist...trust me...Cade is not on schollie

Reactions: BirdistheWord
A few comments ...

• As other already indicated, we're over the 'ship limit ... so some attrition had to happen.
  • Even with the new OC's O being a little more WR-friendly ... Iowa's O is always still going to give its TEs and RBs a lot of touches. Thus, Iowa is still a team that will pretty much max out at a 5-man WR rotation.
  • Given the prior point ... who are the top 5 WRs? Given how most places work ... even with a 5-man rotation ... most of the offensive design is geared towards getting your top guys into mismatches. Thus, things would still be designed for 1 or 2 guys to get most of the touches. It would strike me from prior experience AND via buzz ... the 3 of the top candidates are pretty obvious ... Brown, Anderson, and Wetjen. However, past those guys, Washington moved to WR ... and I know the coaches really liked him from last year AND he was already earning trust and reps then too! So what ... that means that Buie, Howard, and Mota are also fighting to be in that top 5.
  • You gotta remember that we have a few WRs entering as TR FR from the '24 class too. So they'll be able to enter the competition once they hit campus. The coaches really liked Vander Zee and Parker.
  • The TE room still should be quite strong. Lachey is an absolute stud ... Ostrenga continues to push ... and Ortwerth jumped on the scene last year.
  • IF the Hawks can keep our existing RB room intact ... that room seems to only get better. Last year, even with all the injuries ... both Washington and Moulton acquitted themselves quite well last year. The room has talent and contrast. If the blocking is there ... our rushing game will be ready.
One of the reasons I enjoy following Iowa is my program and yours has the same philosophy on how to play football...we took a bad turn with Rich Rod and not only wasn't it us but it put us back almost a decade...

The biggest thing separating Michigan football and Iowa is not talent (though there is gap...sorry)...it is not philosophy...in fact...we are mirrors in that regard

It's implementation (modern concepts)...period...I've watched your O for the last few years and said wtf are they doing...yes...I know you've all said the same thing and it meant a hell of a lot more to you than me...

Doing something different for difference sake is not the answer...KF is only half wrong when he says "we schemed it right, and we have to execute better"...no...no...no...no...

The philosophy is correct...be balanced (so if a team can stop one thing beat them with the other...or better yet...confuse them so they cant stop either) beat the other team up and when the 4th Q comes take control because the other team was beat up and confused...just do it with a modern version of it

There is zero wrong with KF's philosophy including "punting is winning"

The problem remains that you are not running modern concepts...it's like watching a team from the 1970s

Can that truly change under KF?

There are no positives when losing one of the better players off the team's worst and thinnest positions. Bostick is sending a message.

Bostick, while not a good player by any means, is a likely starter on a Big Ten team at Iowa. Elsewhere...literally anywhere, including the MAC, he's a bench warmer, yet he's choosing to leave. That's what happens when Kirk lazily botches the hiring of the most important position coach on a college football team at OC...and opts to promote rather than fire Iowa's worst coach to WR coach.

This offense, led by America's worst QB last year, is going to be putrid. If you thought defenses loaded the box to stuff the run last year...wait til this year.
Stick with your fake Law degree. Football analysis is clearly not your forte.

One of the reasons I enjoy following Iowa is my program and yours has the same philosophy on how to play football...we took a bad turn with Rich Rod and not only wasn't it us but it put us back almost a decade...

The biggest thing separating Michigan football and Iowa is not talent (though there is gap...sorry)...it is not philosophy...in fact...we are mirrors in that regard

It's implementation (modern concepts)...period...I've watched your O for the last few years and said wtf are they doing...yes...I know you've all said the same thing and it meant a hell of a lot more to you than me...

Doing something different for difference sake is not the answer...KF is only half wrong when he says "we schemed it right, and we have to execute better"...no...no...no...no...

The philosophy is correct...be balanced (so if a team can stop one thing beat them with the other...or better yet...confuse them so they cant stop either) beat the other team up and when the 4th Q comes take control because the other team was beat up and confused...just do it with a modern version of it

The problem remains that you are not running modern concepts...it's like watching a team from the 1970s

Historically under KF, we have run a less exotic offense but relied on better execution and to some degree strategy (e.g. bend don’t break defense). We also relied on player development and diamonds in the rough.

But the last few years has seen the perfect storm of declining talent, incredibly thin WR room, TE injuries, horrid QB play and some of the worst OLines in KF’s tenure. It led to an inept OC shortening the playbook even further due to an inability to run an adequate P5 offense.

Some offensive creativity would have helped but the talent gap was some of the worst we have ever seen on offensive side of the ball. You saw how Much Brown at WR made a difference as he got snaps and improved. He was the only non RB who could make a play after Lachey and All went down.

Reactions: thunderstruck1

I think that you're off a little there.

The whole significance of "modern concepts" in college ball ... is that it makes things simpler for the QB (and other players too, for that matter). RPOs are dead-easy ... they actually rely on FEWER keys that Iowa's prior O.

One of the bigger problems with Iowa's O before is that it attempted to put too much on the plate of the QB ... or, at least, too much, too soon. To compile upon that ... the slow development of the QB would make the whole O lose confidence ... and since accountability is rarely a thing for players at the prima-donna positions ... the loss of confidence was usually more in the schemes and/or the coaching. If you don't have guys who fully "buy in" ... then you're not going to get a good product on the field.

Anyhow, Brian was influenced by a bunch of more modern minded folks in the NFL ... but he seemed to have trouble teaching his vision to his guys. In some senses ... given that Iowa is a more "fundamentalist" sort of program ... Brian was actually a bad fit because he was a bit too much about Xs and Os.

The infusion of modern simplicity ... with a re-emphasis of fundamentals on the offensive side ... that could reap rewards on the offensive side.

QUOTE="ghostOfHomer777, post: 12074486, member: 13920"]
I think that you're off a little there.

The whole significance of "modern concepts" in college ball ... is that it makes things simpler for the QB (and other players too, for that matter). RPOs are dead-easy ... they actually rely on FEWER keys that Iowa's prior O.

One of the bigger problems with Iowa's O before is that it attempted to put too much on the plate of the QB ... or, at least, too much, too soon. To compile upon that ... the slow development of the QB would make the whole O lose confidence ... and since accountability is rarely a thing for players at the prima-donna positions ... the loss of confidence was usually more in the schemes and/or the coaching. If you don't have guys who fully "buy in" ... then you're not going to get a good product on the field.

Anyhow, Brian was influenced by a bunch of more modern minded folks in the NFL ... but he seemed to have trouble teaching his vision to his guys. In some senses ... given that Iowa is a more "fundamentalist" sort of program ... Brian was actually a bad fit because he was a bit too much about Xs and Os.

The infusion of modern simplicity ... with a re-emphasis of fundamentals on the offensive side ... that could reap rewards on the offensive side.
[/QUOTE]

Right now I think fans seem hung up on the personnel situation on offense. Lester has a history of taking what he has to work with and molding it into a productive offense. Kirk spending his time this spring focusing on the offensive line should really help us there. Simplicity and lack of predictability will help this offense function much more smoothly I think.

Reactions: thunderstruck1
The problem is there are not any signs that, outside of TE and a couple RBs, that fans will see any improvement in the offense.

Always tough to lose a guy, but hard to say how much he would contribute this fall as he's pretty much an unknown. Still, I'd rather have another option at WR. Other than they need the scholarship room, it's usually not a good thing when someone leaves the program.
The Wetjen showed flashes last year. Hoping the staff utilizes him way more along our transfer from O$U.

The Wetjen showed flashes last year. Hoping the staff utilizes him way more along our transfer from O$U.
Agree.

But until we actually see games, the OL remains an issue and there should be concerns that none of the young guys have been able to overtake a pretty bad group of starters.

Right now I think fans seem hung up on the personnel situation on offense. Lester has a history of taking what he has to work with and molding it into a productive offense. Kirk spending his time this spring focusing on the offensive line should really help us there. Simplicity and lack of predictability will help this offense function much more smoothly I think.

A lot of folks get hung up on the false-narrative that Kirk micromanages the O.

The primary "stamp" that he puts on the O relates to the following:
1. the philosophy of ballance
2. the philosophy of ball-security
3. the philosophy that punting is not bad (field position matters)
4. the STYLE and TECHNIQUE of OL play

Kirk's primary influence largely relates to philosophy, rather than implementation.

Kirk actually has a record of giving his assistant coaches a huge amount of latitude within which to work. One might argue that he sometimes gives them TOO MUCH freedom.

Anyhow, one COULD argue that Kirk's emphasis on ball-security sometimes leads players to play too tentatively ... rather than still trying to make plays. Of course, the two aren't mutually exclusive ... there's nothing wrong with trying to extend a play ... and then throwing the ball out of bounds if no good options are available.

Kirk's pattern has almost always been to place most of his attention on the practice field to working with the OL.

A lot of folks get hung up on the false-narrative that Kirk micromanages the O.

The primary "stamp" that he puts on the O relates to the following:
1. the philosophy of ballance
2. the philosophy of ball-security
3. the philosophy that punting is not bad (field position matters)
4. the STYLE and TECHNIQUE of OL play

Kirk's primary influence largely relates to philosophy, rather than implementation.

Kirk actually has a record of giving his assistant coaches a huge amount of latitude within which to work. One might argue that he sometimes gives them TOO MUCH freedom.

Anyhow, one COULD argue that Kirk's emphasis on ball-security sometimes leads players to play too tentatively ... rather than still trying to make plays. Of course, the two aren't mutually exclusive ... there's nothing wrong with trying to extend a play ... and then throwing the ball out of bounds if no good options are available.

Kirk's pattern has almost always been to place most of his attention on the practice field to working with the OL.
That’s why Deacon was throwing the ball to the other team so much. He’s just got to go out there and let it loose if Cade gets hurt. 🤦‍♂️😊

In this day and age, it should only take two years to fully implement a new offense with the right players.
I did say 2-4, and agree, but TL is swimming up stream.

1. He has to recruit play makers on Offense and is behind the 8 ball with the scholarship capacity and it being his first year and not able to do any recruiting from last year.
2. He is dealing with KF, who has NEVER been an Offensive minded coach. Add on the horrific stigma that IS the Iowa offense from the BF era.
3. Portal Offensive playmakers aren't jumping to Iowa in droves, a lot of players are in a "wait and see" mentality due to the shite show from BF.

I still believe the "promotion" of JB to WR coach is a mistake. Should have let him go, freed up the money, and allowed TL to get a "dude" to coach WR's.
It comes down to appreciating what you have and not worrying about what you don't. For the record I would have preferred a guy with a receiving background as well. I have found some of the players' comments about how well Budameyer communicates encouraging. This fall with Lester in the booth Budameyer will play an important role as the voice of the offense on the field.

Some don't even watch games because it's too much for their Hawkeye hearts.
So there is some truth to this. I was at the Minnesota game with my wife and Hawkeye daughter. We left a 2 point game after Minnesota went ahead 12-10 and had witnessed 3 and half quarters of the worst offensive football I had ever seen. The streets were already packed with fans who'd lost any hope of the Iowa offense mounting even a field goal drive to win the game. This was with half the 4th quarter remaining against a rival in your home stadium in a 2 point game. Little did we know that in the eyes of the university, this was the nail in the coffin of the Brian Ferentz era. Had we known it would have been a much better day.

Reactions: obfuscating
How is pointing out that DH being the starter still is a DA? THat title should fall on KF for not pulling the strings on DH and saying, thanks, but we are going to the portal.
Even with DH still on board, there is really nothing preventing them from going to the portal if they wanted. I think this narrative that DH is the problem is a false premise. DH is/was a symptom of an offensive staff that had completely failed in nearly every aspect of putting together a capable unit. As the team's leader, that falls on Kirk who created this situation in the first place and then allowed it to fester for far too long. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the coaches, DH is their best option today. That's not a DH problem. That's a function of a lot of bad decisions and coaching on that side of the ball. I wish Kirk had the sense to make the changes in offensive staff aside from the only one he was forced to make. He didn't, so we'll have to see where things go with Brian out of the way. Should be an interesting season.

So there is some truth to this. I was at the Minnesota game with my wife and Hawkeye daughter. We left a 2 point game after Minnesota went ahead 12-10 and had witnessed 3 and half quarters of the worst offensive football I had ever seen. The streets were already packed with fans who'd lost any hope of the Iowa offense mounting even a field goal drive to win the game. This was with half the 4th quarter remaining against a rival in your home stadium in a 2 point game. Little did we know that in the eyes of the university, this was the nail in the coffin of the Brian Ferentz era. Had we known it would have been a much better day.
Man, that means you missed the greatest non-play in the history of Iowa football! 😀

Reactions: hawkguy77
Man, that means you missed the greatest non-play in the history of Iowa football! 😀
And the final few "drives" of offensive futility. That play would have been just one more kick in the nuts during the worst day of football I'd ever witnessed at Kinnick.

Even with DH still on board, there is really nothing preventing them from going to the portal if they wanted. I think this narrative that DH is the problem is a false premise. DH is/was a symptom of an offensive staff that had completely failed in nearly every aspect of putting together a capable unit. As the team's leader, that falls on Kirk who created this situation in the first place and then allowed it to fester for far too long. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the coaches, DH is their best option today. That's not a DH problem. That's a function of a lot of bad decisions and coaching on that side of the ball. I wish Kirk had the sense to make the changes in offensive staff aside from the only one he was forced to make. He didn't, so we'll have to see where things go with Brian out of the way. Should be an interesting season.
They have to free up scholarships, going separate ways is part of life, to keep the worst QB in D1 as your "next man" is a joke.

Reactions: littlez
It comes down to appreciating what you have and not worrying about what you don't. For the record I would have preferred a guy with a receiving background as well. I have found some of the players' comments about how well Budameyer communicates encouraging. This fall with Lester in the booth Budameyer will play an important role as the voice of the offense on the field.
YOu can be great communicator and horrid teacher, if we are looking at history on JB, what exactly did he communicate\teach our QBs?

YOu can be great communicator and horrid teacher, if we are looking at history on JB, what exactly did he communicate\teach our QBs?
I don't think you can put the fiasco last season on Budameyer. We just had a dysfunctional offense. The only thing that matters what he contributes now. And if he works well with Lester and plays a positive role I consider that a plus.

I don't think you can put the fiasco last season on Budameyer. We just had a dysfunctional offense. The only thing that matters what he contributes now. And if he works well with Lester and plays a positive role I consider that a plus.
Yeah ... lots of issues on the O last season.

Folks forget that the RB room was slated to be a strength ... but then we were decimated by injuries even there (particularly early).

On top of that ... so much on O is reliant on confidence ... and a lot of that went downhill ... during the OFFSEASON when McNamara had the non-contact injury! It was frustrating seeing McNamara play so tentatively because of his lack of trust in his leg ... but then things got so much worse with Big Deac at the helm.

Oddly enough ... even though the OL contended with quite a number of injuries ... the OL play was still worlds better than it was compared to the prior 2 seasons.

Do folks remember all the drops that happened through the season? I like the upside of Brown ... but he had plenty of drops. On top of that ... Vines was a drop waiting to happen. Even though Big Deac had ZERO touch ... a lot of those drops were still catchable. Guys need to AT LEAST make the "catchables."

Lastly, Brian had clearly lost the confidence of the personnel on O. It sounds dumb ... but the guys really need to "believe" that they will be successful ... and they just didn't believe. Also, it's not clear (at all) how good he was at teaching his vision to the QBs either.

The good news is that Lester has a QBing background and has extensive prior QB-coaching experience. More than that ... offenses that he's coached have had success moving the ball and scoring. If they can do that ... then Iowa might finally be able to leverage the strength of its defense!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT