ADVERTISEMENT

Boston Celtics President Brad Stevens on Beth Goetz: "They better name her the Full Time AD. She's as good as it gets."

Lots of challenges ahead.

* Navigating the NIL landscape
* Fundraising
* Renovation of Carver Hawkeye Arena
* Renovation of the Iowa Baseball Stadium
* Kirk, Fran and Lisa might retire in the next few years
* Re-do the South Endzone of Kinnick to match the North Endzone?

What am I missing?

5 year deal, $850,000 base salary in addition to annual performance bonuses and deferred compensation.

Good for her!

KF's first press conference after Beth canned his son.

_MdZqVqK

Reactions: chaneccooms
Search committee chair Nicole Grosland, a professor in the College of Engineering, said multiple sitting athletic directors from across the country were interviewed.

But as ESPN reports, and as we all know, "Goetz's promotion had long been expected."

The story:

Beth Goetz named Iowa AD after being interim

• i

Pete Thamel, ESPN
  • Jan 18, 2024

Iowa announced on Thursday that interim athletic director Beth Goetz will be promoted to the permanent role.

A source told ESPN that she has agreed to a five-year deal. Goetz has been in the interim role since the summer. Goetz left the athletic director job at Ball State for Iowa's chief operating officer position in 2022.

Goetz's promotion had long been expected. She replaces Gary Barta, who retired in May after 17 years as Iowa's athletic director.

Goetz is the first women to be the head athletic director at Iowa. It's a job that tends to have longevity, as Barta, Bob Bowlsby and Bump Elliott were the three prior athletic directors and each spent at least 15 years in the job.

"I am truly honored and humbled to lead Iowa's storied athletics program," Goetz said, "and I am grateful to President [Barbara] Wilson and the search committee for their confidence in my leadership. The University of Iowa is a world-class institution with a demonstrated commitment to athletics excellence, and I look forward to continuing to partner with our coaches and staff in support of all our student-athletes."

Goetz brings an extensive résumé. Along with nearly four years as Ball State's athletic director, she also worked in roles at Connecticut, Minnesota and Butler.

Goetz made national headlines in October when she fired the football team's offensive coordinator, Brian Ferentz, son of head coach Kirk Ferentz. The Hawkeyes have had one of the nation's worst offenses three straight years.

Search committee chair Nicole Grosland, a professor in the College of Engineering, said multiple sitting athletic directors from across the country were interviewed.

"Beth emerged as a finalist with a strong vision to lead the department at this crucial time," Grosland said.

Goetz played soccer at Clemson and was coach at Missouri-St. Louis before going into athletics administration.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

But as ESPN reports, and as we all know, "Goetz's promotion had long been expected."

The story:

Beth Goetz named Iowa AD after being interim

• i

Pete Thamel, ESPN
  • Jan 18, 2024

Iowa announced on Thursday that interim athletic director Beth Goetz will be promoted to the permanent role.

A source told ESPN that she has agreed to a five-year deal. Goetz has been in the interim role since the summer. Goetz left the athletic director job at Ball State for Iowa's chief operating officer position in 2022.

Goetz's promotion had long been expected. She replaces Gary Barta, who retired in May after 17 years as Iowa's athletic director.

Goetz is the first women to be the head athletic director at Iowa. It's a job that tends to have longevity, as Barta, Bob Bowlsby and Bump Elliott were the three prior athletic directors and each spent at least 15 years in the job.

"I am truly honored and humbled to lead Iowa's storied athletics program," Goetz said, "and I am grateful to President [Barbara] Wilson and the search committee for their confidence in my leadership. The University of Iowa is a world-class institution with a demonstrated commitment to athletics excellence, and I look forward to continuing to partner with our coaches and staff in support of all our student-athletes."

Goetz brings an extensive résumé. Along with nearly four years as Ball State's athletic director, she also worked in roles at Connecticut, Minnesota and Butler.

Goetz made national headlines in October when she fired the football team's offensive coordinator, Brian Ferentz, son of head coach Kirk Ferentz. The Hawkeyes have had one of the nation's worst offenses three straight years.

"Beth emerged as a finalist with a strong vision to lead the department at this crucial time," Grosland said.

Goetz played soccer at Clemson and was coach at Missouri-St. Louis before going into athletics administration.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I'm not saying this person shouldn't have been chair, but it's interesting a professor from the CoE was in charge of this search. I get you want someone who can work with many different styles of people, but........

I mean I'm thrilled with Beth getting the job, but just seems interesting.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I'm not saying this person shouldn't have been chair, but it's interesting a professor from the CoE was in charge of this search. I get you want someone who can work with many different styles of people, but........

I mean I'm thrilled with Beth getting the job, but just seems interesting.

yeah, would love to know who all wasted their time searching; we knew Beth had the job in June of last year

Great discussion from yesterday afternoon. Scott says Beth has a vison to bring Iowa forward.

And one of the things Beth wants is the students around the basketball court.

Check this out & watch:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT