ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Situation

I believe a similar thing happened to Northwestern a few years ago. They lost in the BigTen championship game and fell to the Holiday Bowl.

Relax everyone, damn! It's just information regarding the B1G's no repeat rule, do with it as you wish. I am in no way predicting what will happen.

It is like you all want so badly to be negative you are waiting to pounce on anything you can.
I am actually positive, positive the offense is azz.

It’s silly discussing this, but 11-2 Iowa with only losses at Penn St and vs. undefeated B1G champ (could ALSO be Penn St) does not drop below the Citrus. We’re not Northwestern or Minnesota.

A 3-loss Iowa team could drop to Vegas. Better than New York. Could you imagine Iowa vs. Colorado?

Last edited:
Reactions: pistachio1999
I'll be in Florida on Jan 1st regardless, so I'm selfishly hoping for either the Citrus or Outback (Reliaquest).

With this offense though, we'll almost certainly lose 1 or 2 more games that we shouldn't.

Reactions: NI hawk
It’s silly discussing this, but 11-2 Iowa with only losses at Penn St and vs. undefeated B1G champ (could ALSO be Penn St) does not drop below the Citrus. We’re not Northwestern or Minnesota.

A 3-loss Iowa team could drop to Vegas. Better than New York. Could you imagine Iowa vs. Colorado?

Iowa would have to totally collapse to fall to any bowl game Colorado may make.

WAY to far ahead of the game but I had to laugh this morning when I saw a potential match up of Iowa Vs Mississippi St.......could not help but think of the MSU guy post game when we beat them awhile back. He is probably thinking "not this shit again".

Talking about bowl scenarios and tiebreakers is a giant waste of time right now. Iowa could go anywhere from 6-6 to 11-1.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. The bowls will work out fine.

B1G no repeat rules on bowl games
Just can't go to Music City. All others are open.

“No Repeat” clauses for Big Ten non-CFP bowl games prohibit consecutive appearances in the same non-CFP bowl game in consecutive seasons

At least two teams going into CFP from Big Ten this year.
Duke is the only thing standing between undefeated UNC vs FSU. One of those teams would be in. The PAC is absolutely loaded, so I expect one of them to get in. Georgia isn't going to drop a game. I don't see any possibility that the BIG gets 2 teams in. They may be lucky to get 1 team in if PSU/OSU/UM beat each other.

“No Repeat” clauses for Big Ten non-CFP bowl games prohibit consecutive appearances in the same non-CFP bowl game in consecutive seasons
CBS says same thing about Citrus. Is it no more than once every 3 years now?

Here you go

The Citrus, Holiday, Outback and Foster Farms Bowls are all required to have at least five different teams during a six-year time period.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Talking about bowl scenarios and tiebreakers is a giant waste of time right now. Iowa could go anywhere from 6-6 to 11-1.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. The bowls will work out fine.
Let’s be real: Is there any discussion on this board that is NOT a giant waste of time? Might as well talk about something fun.

Reactions: NI hawk
Here you go

The Citrus, Holiday, Outback and Foster Farms Bowls are all required to have at least five different teams during a six-year time period.
LOL. And somehow one that wants Iowa again will get that rule waived. That is to protect from any undesirables over and over. Ones that travel well I guarantee you the bowl would be like yep we are good come right on it again.

The Orange Bowl is in play also, but if only 2 BT teams get into CFP, I assume the 3rd would get the Orange Bowl. Assuming top 3 would be (in any order) PSU, Mich and OSU. It matters how those 3 play out in head to heads and if any of those 3 slip once in the rest of their games.

I'd say at a minimum right now would be a Florida game. Livin' on a Prayer for something bigger.

LOL. And somehow one that wants Iowa again will get that rule waived. That is to protect from any undesirables over and over. Ones that travel well I guarantee you the bowl would be like yep we are good come right on it again.
Why would anyone want our shit show? Have we really traveled that well the last two bowls cuz I don't think so. Hope your right though but our cache is gone right now.

Why would anyone want our shit show? Have we really traveled that well the last two bowls cuz I don't think so. Hope your right though but our cache is gone right now.
They LOVE us. I don't see anyone on our team sitting out either, other than those injured.

Link to Iowa already having played in Citrus Bowl twice in the past 6 seasons?
Exactly - They could take Iowa this year and still get 5 teams in 6 years. The 6 years in question are 2020 - 2025:
2020 - Northwestern
2021 - Iowa
2022 - Purdue
Plus with 12-team CFP next year, who knows how these bowls will even select. Deals will need to be redone to redistribute P12 bowls. Also, I'm guessing that 5 teams in 6 years was more of guideline than a rule - the bowls that payout more will get the teams they want - they just wanted a guideline to explain why they weren't picking a poor traveling team again even if their record made sense

Exactly - They could take Iowa this year and still get 5 teams in 6 years. The 6 years in question are 2020 - 2025:
2020 - Northwestern
2021 - Iowa
2022 - Purdue
Plus with 12-team CFP next year, who knows how these bowls will even select. Deals will need to be redone to redistribute P12 bowls. Also, I'm guessing that 5 teams in 6 years was more of guideline than a rule - the bowls that payout more will get the teams they want - they just wanted a guideline to explain why they weren't picking a poor traveling team again even if their record made sense
Good points however I don't see us being a good traveling team based on attenthe last couple years.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Here you go

Five different B1G teams have been to the Citrus Bowl over the past 5 years (Penn St., Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa, and Purdue). So shouldn't any of those teams be eligible to go this year? You would still be meeting the "at least five different teams during a six-year time period" rule.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Five different B1G teams have been to the Citrus Bowl over the past 5 years (Penn St., Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa, and Purdue). So shouldn't any of those teams be eligible to go this year? You would still be meeting the "at least five different teams during a six-year time period" rule.
I don't know when the rules started and how far back it goes but I agree with you we probably have a chance

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT