ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Smith wins state title in the high jump

The 2017 class could have a pretty good track and field team:

AJ and Wirfs: Shot and Discus
Smith: High Jump
Smith-Marsette: Ran a 10.6 100. Tim Dwight's PR in the 100 was 10.3 while at Iowa.

I am sure I am forgetting a few as well.

Yeah, Cam Harrell has run some legit 10.6's in the 100. He would challenge Smith-Marsette for fastest guy in the class and has a long jump of 23'1" as well.

Smith-Marsette's best event is probably the 110 hurdles (13.95).

6'6" shouldnt be winning state, but impressive nonetheless. 13.95 in the 110s is blazing fast.

6'6" shouldnt be winning state, but impressive nonetheless. 13.95 in the 110s is blazing fast.

could have been difficult conditions. I know high jumpers don't like jumping with wind so who knows. I agree 6'6 shouldn't be winning, but without knowing the conditions, hard to explain why the low height.

7bbb407f849594036b00fef00d57706b_1000-images-about-excited-on-so-excited-meme_269-268.jpeg

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Isn't he the one standing on the third place podium? So did he win, or was that another event? Thought he had the hair.

If he ends up getting fewer touches than Easley; Cooper or Marchese . . . then we'll know the coaches haven't learned anything from the Willies fiasco.

Congrats Brandon. Saw him and his family this winter flying from Chicago to Cedar Rapids. I'm excited about this kid. Heck of an opportunity for him to do some damage.

Damn, I can't wait to see him go up for some corner jump balls. He'll have the advantage every time.

Also should mention that Coach Kelvin Bell, who really deserves credit for finding, offering, landing, and holding onto Smith, was in attendance at the state track meet in Mississippi last week to watch him.
But Blair....we are told over and over on here by your customers that the Iowa staff puts NO effort into recruiting. I thought they sat in the office and watched highlight tapes and ordered Panchero's. ;)

If he ends up getting fewer touches than Easley; Cooper or Marchese . . . then we'll know the coaches haven't learned anything from the Willies fiasco.
What is the Willies fiasco you speak of? Is that the kid that quit on his team?

I knowy you mean the kid that caught 18 of the 428 completed passes that Tech had in 12 games? You mean the kid that was so awesome (even though he never did a thing) he only caught on average 1.5 balls of the 36 completed passes per game at Tech...who throws it more that anyone in the country....that guy???? Nice kid....decent player, but definitely not a game or roster changer

Let it go dude.

What is the Willies fiasco you speak of? Is that the kid that quit on his team?

I knowy you mean the kid that caught 18 of the 428 completed passes that Tech had in 12 games? You mean the kid that was so awesome (even though he never did a thing) he only caught on average 1.5 balls of the 36 completed passes per game at Tech...who throws it more that anyone in the country....that guy???? Nice kid....decent player, but definitely not a game or roster changer

Let it go dude.
There's always going to be another "best guy on the roster who never played". Just like the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team for some fans. Hell, for years we heard how DJK was abused, and he left Iowa at the top of a number of all time categories for wide receivers. Just the nature of the beast.

Not too shabby for a LB.
Well he's no Mike Klinkenbough!:rolleyes: Didn't he jump like 6'3" in high school, and pitch both games of a doubleheader, one lefty, and one righty, winning both games? That guy was crazy! Never forget him walking off the field with the CYHawk trophy, and the tears rolling down his face!

Well he's no Brian Tietjens but very few are ever that talented. I'll never forget watching him break the national HS indoor record at the Dickinson Relays invitational in 1981. Best HS high jumper I ever saw. He'd usually wait until everyone else was done before he would take his first attempt.

Well he's no Mike Klinkenbough!:rolleyes: Didn't he jump like 6'3" in high school, and pitch both games of a doubleheader, one lefty, and one righty, winning both games? That guy was crazy! Never forget him walking off the field with the CYHawk trophy, and the tears rolling down his face!
He lost both games he pitched.. but he did jump 6'5..

Really, OK then. Heard that story a couple of times during game broadcasts, and don't remember them saying he lost. Guy was a hell of an athlete non the less.
Kinda of a tall tale he was only a sophomore pitching a double header.. still impressive

Kinda of a tall tale he was only a sophomore pitching a double header.. still impressive
I don't know, the fact that he pitched a game in high school with each hand is pretty ridiculous on its own merit. That and as you said that he could high jump 6'5". He may not have been the best Hawk mlb of all time, but I'll remember him forever for what he lived through, and his response in that week starting with the game at Syracuse, through the ISU game. The true definition of what it means to be a Hawk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT