ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Lisa Bluder announces retirement

Of but if Kirk hired another guy within minutes from within you would flame him across the Milky Way.
And you know this how? It would depend on who that guy was, like if it was another relative or someone actually qualified, like LeVar Woods, for instance. Not all things are equal.

BTW: Too bad KF and Fran don't know when to quit. KF has said on multiple occasions that he would never be one of those old man coaches who refused to step down. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

TDJ7, you are mistaken.

The full text of the tweet:

While Iowa WBB fans are happy about the Jan Jensen hire, many wondered why the job wasn't posted for the requisite 14 days by the UI.

Just received the reasoning from Hawkeye athletics, led by AD Beth Goetz. Their official response:

"The Athletics Department requested and received approval for a waiver from the standard recruitment and job posting process to hire Jan Jensen into the P. Sue Beckwith, MD Head Women’s Basketball Coach position. With appropriate justification, a waiver of the search process may be granted upon review and approval by the University Human Resources Compensation and Classification unit and the University Office of Institutional Equity."

So, I guess it's like the anti-nepotism law. It's the law . . . except when it isn't. And I'm talking about the law, not about the hire. I fully support hiring Jan. I just find it curious that, for instance, when everyone knew Beth was going to be the new AD, Iowa waited months and months and spent--wasn't it around $200,000--for a search firm to do a "national search," only to hire Beth as expected. Why not save the time and money, drop the charade, and get a waiver then too?

So, I guess it's like the anti-nepotism law. It's the law . . . except when it isn't. And I'm talking about the law, not about the hire. I fully support hiring Jan. I just find it curious that, for instance, when everyone knew Beth was going to be the new AD, Iowa waited months and months and spent--wasn't it around $200,000--for a search firm to do a "national search," only to hire Beth as expected. Why not save the time and money, drop the charade, and get a waiver then too?
While I too have no problem with the Jensen hire...I was also curious that the process, as I understand it anyway, appeared not to be followed. And it is peculiar that very recently the AD had to wait...when everyone knew what was going to happen. Kinda weird...but happy for both Bluder and Jensen.

Reactions: MitchLL
Agree. This is hood for keeping players and a well deserved role for Jan.

I think a lot of us have the same though re the timing. If it is more than she's letting on she's chosen not to share that right now and that's her business.
Stress is a killer and the challenge to continue to succeed is hard. I wish Lisa all the best. Hoping Jan can keep it rolling. If she can keep Olsen, the 2024 class together and current roster intact, Iowa will be competitive. Then keeping Deal and Houston plus possibly Hays and McGaughy, Jan can keep it rolling. Jan should be around for at least 8-10 years, belaying any concern with future classes.

Will be interesting to see when Jan’s contract is announced. Based on 2023 numbers:
Freeze is highest in Big10 at 1.9 and Bluder was second at 1.4. #8 in new Big10 is ~900k. (USC numbers not public). Jennie B at OK is below that at 800k.
For a great hire w zero career wins, how does Beth put a price on that.

Will be interesting to see when Jan’s contract is announced. Based on 2023 numbers:
Freeze is highest in Big10 at 1.9 and Bluder was second at 1.4. #8 in new Big10 is ~900k. (USC numbers not public). Jennie B at OK is below that at 800k.
For a great hire w zero career wins, how does Beth put a price on that.
JJ is hardly an “unknown” quantity.

As I stated Jan's tenure is the difference against ANY other example you throw out there. She has been the assoc HC for TWENTY years, Hardly the same thing as Beth's situation. Frankly had they not given the job to Jan I imagine they would have had to scrap the entire staff, as I'm pretty sure any new coach would have not carried over so many long time Bluder gals. That and we probably lose many of our 2024 class, AND Olsen, AND Deal......

Huh? THIS year was a letdown? What??
I meant the coming season without the seniors who moved on after back-to-back finals. Making the final or even close this coming season would be quite a feat no matter who the coach is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT