ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Lisa Bluder announces retirement

women's basketball - hire a new head coach in 23 minutes

Iowa football - take 4 months to hire offensive coordinator
Silly comparison. The women HAD someone training for the role and was assoc. Head coach for the last 20 years, ON staff. Who was taking the OC job currently on staff? Exactly......

Reactions: doughuddl2
All I was saying was when was the last time a university announced the firing or retirement of a head coach and then less than 25 minutes later they were announcing the replacement
Again, when was the last time we had someone on staff as associate Head coach for the last 20 years? Correct, never! I mean there is NO way that Jan wasn't going to be at least offered the job. That should be pretty clear.....

Beth continues passing the test(s) with every decision.
Not to argue, but this one was a no brainer. I mean really after 20 years as assoc. HC they had to at least offer Jan the job especially with a strong class coming in and the nations 2nd leading returning scorer transferring in..

Reactions: Im4Iowa
Good for her.

People shouldn’t work until they are too old or too dead to enjoy their retirement.

Jan will do just fine until Clark/Martin are ready to take over.
Martin. Don't see Clark as a coach. VERY few truly great players make good coaches. Their expectation is just too far out to ever be satisfied by anyone with lesser gifts.....

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Happy for Jan. She deserves it. However, unless she is just interim head coach, this completely throws out the window all the excuses on Iowa football hires.
Again, silly comment. What does one have to do with the other? Jan has been Assoc. Head coach for 20 years. Thats Head coach in waiting. What does that have to do with Iowa football hires?

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Definitely hurts to see her go, but Coach Bluder led the team with class. I'm sure many coaches would've failed at being able to handle the Caitlin situation, but she helped guide CC to being the best player in college and the most popular athlete in the world. That takes an immense amount of discipline and patience. She went out on top, despite not winning the championship. Enjoy retirement, coach! And build the statue!

Also, I'm so glad they immediately announced Jan as her replacement. No speculation, rumors, or interviews. Thank God.
I get, and agree with the premise of your argument, but some serious hyperbole here.
And this is just the US….

Last edited:
Reactions: GOHOX69
Its_Not_That_Deep.png

This is really weak, but wanted to put it out there anyway. Poster on another site said Olsen and Dauda have quit following each other on Insta. FWIW. I'm not on Instagram, so can't really investigate myself.
Maybe Dauda crossed Iowa off her potential destinations...as long as Olsen sticks with her commitment I'm ok with it.

Very true. See Lindsay Whalen and Steve Alford
I would never put Alford in that class. Just IMHO. He was a great shooter, and pretty good player. I was talking more generational type athletes who transcend the sport. The first name players. Michael, The Great One, Magic. I put Clark in this light. The frustration she has with team mates who simply can NOT see the game at the speed and depth that she does, would make it very hard for her to coach players.

Aren't they supposed to post the job opening for EEOC or whatever?

My first thought as well.

These positions have to be "posted".

Job doesn't need to be posted if you hire from within.

TDJ7, you are mistaken.

The full text of the tweet:

While Iowa WBB fans are happy about the Jan Jensen hire, many wondered why the job wasn't posted for the requisite 14 days by the UI.

Just received the reasoning from Hawkeye athletics, led by AD Beth Goetz. Their official response:

"The Athletics Department requested and received approval for a waiver from the standard recruitment and job posting process to hire Jan Jensen into the P. Sue Beckwith, MD Head Women’s Basketball Coach position. With appropriate justification, a waiver of the search process may be granted upon review and approval by the University Human Resources Compensation and Classification unit and the University Office of Institutional Equity."

TDJ7, you are mistaken.

The full text of the tweet:

While Iowa WBB fans are happy about the Jan Jensen hire, many wondered why the job wasn't posted for the requisite 14 days by the UI.

Just received the reasoning from Hawkeye athletics, led by AD Beth Goetz. Their official response:

"The Athletics Department requested and received approval for a waiver from the standard recruitment and job posting process to hire Jan Jensen into the P. Sue Beckwith, MD Head Women’s Basketball Coach position. With appropriate justification, a waiver of the search process may be granted upon review and approval by the University Human Resources Compensation and Classification unit and the University Office of Institutional Equity."

Nice. The fact that she has been the associate head coach for 20 years should allow common sense to prevail and waive the 14 day wait. It's just lip service to wait anyway, when you have your coach picked

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT