ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz wanted to move on to the NFL last year?

Here is what former Hawkeye Jeff Buch said yesterday on Athlon's national podcast yesterday as they had Jeff on very briefly, "I believe it to be true that Brian wanted to move on to the NFL last year and Kirk was the one who convinced him to stay".
I have a serious question......what NFL team would hire him? Based on what?

Here is what former Hawkeye Jeff Buch said yesterday on Athlon's national podcast yesterday as they had Jeff on very briefly, "I believe it to be true that Brian wanted to move on to the NFL last year and Kirk was the one who convinced him to stay".
If this is true,then KF is truly delusional. Not only has he set the program back,but he also is torpedoing BFs coaching career. KF set him up for failure by promoting him to a job he was not ready for. After 5 years,doubtful he was ever cut out to be a OC. He should be a line coach somewhere.

It could be that Brian is a very good professional coach, specifically a position coach. Maybe he's just not cut out to be a college coordinator. After hearing him speak at coaching clinics, it's not a surprise that the NFL would still be interested. The really don't care that their tight ends coach couldn't land solid 18 year old recruits or call the right plays to make less than NFL-caliber talent succeed on Saturdays. They only care what you do to make them better on Sundays and his time with the Patriots makes people believe he did something right. I remember when Bill O'Brien got the Texans job, he wanted Brian to go with him to Houston in some capacity.

If this is true,then KF is truly delusional. Not only has he set the program back,but he also is torpedoing BFs coaching career. KF set him up for failure by promoting him to a job he was not ready for. After 5 years,doubtful he was ever cut out to be a OC. He should be a line coach somewhere.
This whole ordeal with BF has shown how KF has put his family/son over the better well being of the Iowa program time and time again. It all started with his promotion to OC and master plan of setting him up to take over for him when he retired. Sad thing is if KF retired after the Holiday Bowl I think BF would have had legitimate shot of succeeding especially with Barta in charge. End of the day BF is a 40 year old man if he really wanted to go back to the NFL then he could have instead of Daddy making the decision for him again.

This is a good point. Terrible decision to hire your kid as a coach . It’s a lose/lose situation if it goes south . Which we all know it has m…

I'm sure Brian wanted to go to the NFL last year, except the fact that no one would touch him with a 10 foot pole considering the litigation against him.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
This thread is nonsense. Brian put on the full court press trying to land a job outside Iowa City last year. The problem was, he was damaged goods and literally no one wanted him. Kirk encouraged the guy to go out and spread his wings, as Kirk has been taking heat on the nepotism issue for years and could see Brian simply wasn't cutting it as last year's OC. Like with the uncoordinated 300 lb center on the basketball team, Brian put his name in the portal, no one came calling, so he came back to his soft landing spot at Iowa, who welcomed him with open arms.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This thread is nonsense. Brian put on the full court press trying to land a job outside Iowa City last year. The problem was, he was damaged goods and literally no one wanted him. Kirk encouraged the guy to go out and spread his wings, as Kirk has been taking heat on the nepotism issue for years and could see Brian simply wasn't cutting it as last year's OC. Like with the uncoordinated 300 lb center on the basketball team, Brian put his name in the portal, no one came calling, so he came back to his soft landing spot at Iowa, who welcomed him with open arms.
Jonesy thinks this sounds reasonable.

Just repeating what I’ve seen other posters say but I believe he would have left after last year except he needs the lawsuits settled or else it will end up like when Urban Meyer tried to hire Chris Doyle and the outrage was too much.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I believe it is vitally important to KF that his OC be someone who understands the culture of the Iowa program — someone he can fully trust. He had that for a while in KOK.

Greg Davis came next, and while 2015 was a magical season, GDGD was never a perfect fit at Iowa, which was apparent to many. That’s why KF ended up hiring BF for the job — there was nobody Kirk could trust more fully than his own son.

I think it is possible that there is some merit to these rumors that Brian wanted to leave after last season. And here is where we veer off into highly speculative ideas. The idea of BF leaving is a problem for KF, because he doesn’t have an obvious internal candidate to promote and because he doesn’t want a repeat of the GDGD fiasco with an outside hire. So what does he do? He keeps BF for a year, while also bringing in another guy to spend a year learning the culture of the program and winning Kirk’s trust, with the idea that the new guy will take over as OC at the end of the season. Of course, I’m suggesting that guy is Jon Budmayr.

FWIW, this would explain why they didn’t bother to hire an experienced quarterbacks coach — they knew that role would also be passed to Budmayr with the OC job.

I posted some of this same drivel a couple of weeks ago in the “post your wrong theories here” thread. That’s probably where this post belongs as well.

Jeff Buch? LOL - haven't heard that name in 20+ years.....He was lucky there was no message boards around when he played......he would have taken more heat than Adam Shada......He's been gone so long it's hard to believe he'd have any clue what the Ferentz thought process was.....

If it's true that he wanted to leave, but couldn't because of the pending lawsuit, then it's an even BIGGER issue that KF and Barta retained him.

How long are you going to employ someone who is failing just because they can't find a job elsewhere? That's not how it works in the real world....only in nepotism world.

Pretty sure he could afford to step away from coaching until the lawsuit is finished.

So, he was taking so much heat on the nepotism issue that he brought him back and made him the QB coach as well? Makes sense to me.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
If it's true that he wanted to leave, but couldn't because of the pending lawsuit, then it's an even BIGGER issue that KF and Barta retained him.

How long are you going to employ someone who is failing just because they can't find a job elsewhere? That's not how it works in the real world....only in nepotism world.

Pretty sure he could afford to step away from coaching until the lawsuit is finished.
That's how Barta got in trouble with the assistant AD lady. She was so bad she couldn't get hired somewhere after like 20 interviews but he had given her good to average reviews and then fired her. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT