ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz

Is KF gonna forfeit those 10s of millions just so his kid can have his job?
Yeah, I suspect that his bank account can afford it. Kirk has a luxury most don't - he can retire on his own terms, as he pleases. I mean, he has already earned tens of millions of dollars in his long coaching career - I doubt that he will be clipping coupons if he decides to call it quits. The older I get, the more I realize that accumulation of more money isn't the most important part of living a full life.

Yeah, I suspect that his bank account can afford it. Kirk has a luxury most don't - he can retire on his own terms, as he pleases. I mean, he has already earned tens of millions of dollars in his long coaching career - I doubt that he will be clipping coupons if he decides to call it quits. The older I get, the more I realize that accumulation of more money isn't the most important part of living a full life.
I never said he NEEDED the money.
That said it could go to good use. Charity? All his future(or maybe current) grandkids? His kids?
Throwing all that money away to leave a job you love seems odd.

That said it could go to good use. Charity? All his future(or maybe current) grandkids? His kids?

He wont be there forever though and when he does someone has to take over the show. I think the Wisconsin model is smart with a sort of maintain the current brand sort of deal. They’ve changed coaches but you still see the same Wisconsin football program on the field. Alvarez has done his job with that.

I suppose the problem there is that you need an AD that will take the same approach. An AD just hiring a coach to come in and change things up to suite his needs IMO creates a mess. Hiring someone to maintain the brand and hopefully improve it is what anyone should want in a new staff taking over for stable football program. Is your guy Brian Ferentz? Would he take a different approach and move away from previously successful systems already in place?

Kirk is likely always going to have a contract 4/5 years out. He'll retire during the contract, not when it's up, who does that?

Dude came close to sweeping OSU and PSU two top6 teams at the time. Did Davis or OKeefe do that in their first year?

Can you be more specific please? Are we talking some abrasive personality type stuff here or are we talking about some Sandusky towel snapping type stuff?

You hit it; it's personality type stuff. And I'm in no way trying to stir the pot. I've just heard some staff has had some issues. I've also heard his people skills are far from Dad's.

Look, there's not a work place in America without some friction at times, so this could be all it is. And strong personalities will certainly clash at times. So this may not be relevant.

As stated before, the fact that Tom Kakert always speaks well of him on his podcasts dispels some of what I've heard.

And let us not forget his age. I know I've mellowed with age. Wisdom has its price. :cool:

Reactions: justinjdry
FWIW I think Brian is less likely to be hired on if KF gets another extension. I get that "Ferentz fatigue" shouldn't be the reason BF doesn't get the job but if the transition doesn't happen in 3-4 years and takes 6-8 there are going to be more people in the "anybody but a Ferentz" boat.

FWIW I think Brian is less likely to be hired on if KF gets another extension. I get that "Ferentz fatigue" shouldn't be the reason BF doesn't get the job but if the transition doesn't happen in 3-4 years and takes 6-8 there are going to be more people in the "anybody but a Ferentz" boat.

Might be true. But staff stability comes into play and BF certainly addresses that favorably "if" Kirk's staff truly embraces him.

If I were Barta, I'd want BF to succeed. Talk about favorable staff stability. As a fan, I hope BF succeeds. But I want to support a high character mature coach. We have had special times for 40 years.

Like it or not, Brian's press box out burst was telling. And I continue to hear little nuggets that concern me. I'm sure age and maturity are playing a role & things will improve.

So maybe he will want to retire and do stuff with his wife and family???? After years of the 70 hour weeks, maybe it will be time to wind down and allow them some time.

Kirk is likely always going to have a contract 4/5 years out. He'll retire during the contract, not when it's up, who does that?

Or recruits will know who is next in line and it will be discussed. The next couple of years will determine a lot.

Dude came close to sweeping OSU and PSU two top6 teams at the time. Did Davis or OKeefe do that in their first year?

The critics will say the players get all the credit there and BF gets all the blame for losses like Northwestern and Wisconsin, etc. that is how critics are.

I hope Brian learned a lot about how to attack the 3-4 from that game.

We can only hope. Wisconsin loses quite a bit on D and we get them fairly early. I think us playing them early in Kinnick is to our benefit, even with us having all new LBs chasing after their RB.

O for sure Gary Barta wants BF to take over. That guys career will be based off the next coach. At best you could say he is poor at hiring coaches, he is begging for Brian to succeed and fall into his lap. The punching, cussing, ect doesn't bother me. I'm tired of "little old Iowa" and Brian does those things because he refuses to accept 2nd chair at the table. I have a feeling alot of what we know about Brian was what was unknown about Hayden. I'm willing to bet Hayden hit a couple walls but there was not a camera around every corner to catch it.

O for sure Gary Barta wants BF to take over. That guys career will be based off the next coach. At best you could say he is poor at hiring coaches, he is begging for Brian to succeed and fall into his lap. The punching, cussing, ect doesn't bother me. I'm tired of "little old Iowa" and Brian does those things because he refuses to accept 2nd chair at the table. I have a feeling alot of what we know about Brian was what was unknown about Hayden. I'm willing to bet Hayden hit a couple walls but there was not a camera around every corner to catch it.

Agree with a lot you are saying. Have had this conversation with friends about BF taking over and I think Brian would be a lot more in his coaching style like Bielema over Kirk. In the fact that we've seen over the years during the KF tenure him let the foot off the pedal where Bielema was like Hayden and if he was up 40 he wanted to still be up 50 and not let the opponent get back in the game when they got up and keep piling on. In that fact I think BF would be bit more aggressive on and off the field like the 2 aforementioned coaches in Bielema and Fry.

I do think Brian has a inherent value in that he has been on the field, wore the colors, and had to hear about how we had no chance against osu, osu, mich.... he would not allow that mentality to exist in the program.

Reactions: CaboKP

Kirks current contract runs for another 8 years at which time he’ll be 70 or so. I don’t think he’ll still be the coach at that point in time. I think it more likely he retires by then.

If Brian has consistently improved/done well as OC, the job will be his for the taking. If the offense remains frustratingly inconsistent like last year, that will be a much harder sell.

Another factor is if Barta is still the AD at that point. Lots of things can happen in the next few years.

This is an important year for Brian and the play calling. I think he showed what he wants to do when everything works and also that he didn't have any form of a back up plan (wiscy) when it didn't. I want Brian to succeed because I think he brings a personality that quite frankly would never make it through the hiring process in 2018 at the U of I and if he does catch on I don't see him leaving for greener pastures. We have to find a way to consisntely move the ball though when defenses take away our best punch.
I'm with you on this one. I really don't like nepotism, and frankly I don't think anybody in the country would have hired BF from OL coach to OC except his father. Additionally, I believe Belichick only hired him at NE as a favor to his old pal KF from the Cleveland days. That said, he did "okay" last year, but needs to improve every year to convince me this isn't a "bait and switch" for HC position in 3-5 year.

I think something that is worth repeating is Brian needs to develop his own identity as an O.C. it can be a run heavy, pro style offense, with heavy TE usage but it cannot be punt from your own 30, run on first down 70% of the time "safe" offense. No one (intelligent) will be lining up to hire the next KF 2.0 offense in 2021ish (including the U of I) there are just too many examples of teams being competitive with lesser or equal talent using schemes designed for CFB.

Reactions: blhawk

It's funny cause we know Phil Parker is intense. We hear that over and over and we probably see it at times on the sideline. But I guess Brian doesn't get to be that way because his Dad is who he is and has the same last name. Pops probably told him if he didn't knock it off upstairs with press and upper crust that he was gonna be grounded and have to stay down on the field during games.

It's funny cause we know Phil Parker is intense. We hear that over and over and we probably see it at times on the sideline. But I guess Brian doesn't get to be that way because his Dad is who he is and has the same last name. Pops probably told him if he didn't knock it off upstairs with press and upper crust that he was gonna be grounded and have to stay down on the field during games.
I don't think KF uses that attitude with BF, but I do think KF wants BF to always act professionally. BF wouldn't accept one of his players losing control to the detriment of the team, and neither should he. He did the right thing, apologized, and now it's over. BF is "in training" to become a HC (somewhere), and KF wants him acting more like himself than Bo Pelini.

Love the intensity Brian has brought to the program. He did fine for his first year at OC. We did more smart things to win football games on offense last year than we did in the decade prior. He's gotta be more self-aware in regards to the outburst and his conduct, but he's also not the head coach yet.

Plenty of fans like the outburst, as a change from the (supposed) milquetoast Kirk.

A true statement.

And some people yell incessantly at members of their families. ;)

Some dumb asses consider this an appropriate form of leadership. I'm just not in that group.

Reactions: deanhawk88
I'm torn on the topic of promoting Brian to HC ... I do believe he is intelligent. Captain of the ship is much different than overseeing one of the ship's restaurants. There's really no way to know if he is head coach material because he hasn't been a head coach. It's about putting a solid staff in place that can RECRUIT ... Does a school like Iowa take a chance on a guy who's never been a HC? It's a costly investment ... I want to see the best person for the job ... whether it be Brian or another HC who's been successful as a HC at another school ... Nobody knows if Brian will be a good HC ... Personally, I think he will be.

Captain of the ship is much different than overseeing one of the ship's restaurants.

I think a more apt comparison would be that Brian runs the ship's bar where the current captain drinks and spills his guts every for decades. I doubt anything comes up under Brian's watch as headcoach that didn't for Kirk and that Brian didn't subsequently hear about.

That's something that not a lot of head coaches have had; living under the same roof of a successful head coach since high school and hearing all the candid straight from the horse's mouth stuff that Kirk would only share with a select few. I think this makes him more prepared than most.

My friend (let's call him Larry Sharta) wants me to ask everyone on this thread if they think that Gary Barta should just go ahead and offer BF a 30 year $200 million dollar contract now while the gettins good. I told him I'd ask...

I know Larry, I knew him long ago, weird guy, used to only hang out with real lowlifes. ;).......6.66 mill over 30 years wouldn't be a bad deal especially if you account for rising wages over time. Tell him if Gary could offer 30 years 200 mill with 0 buyout and termination without consequence at any point it might be a good deal. We would avoid paying multiple coaches at once and going through 4 coaches a Decade like lesser programs....

Reactions: justinjdry
My friend (let's call him Larry Sharta) wants me to ask everyone on this thread if they think that Gary Barta should just go ahead and offer BF a 30 year $200 million dollar contract now while the gettins good. I told him I'd ask...
Larry Sharta is a puppet, and Dirk Furantz pulls the strings.

So your comparing Scott F. To Brian F. Brian would not be in the position he is in if it wasn' for his dad. I know this will piss off the blind faith guys but its true. I hope BF does well but he would not be an OC without hos daddy

Reactions: CoachingCorner
I don't think KF uses that attitude with BF, but I do think KF wants BF to always act professionally. BF wouldn't accept one of his players losing control to the detriment of the team, and neither should he. He did the right thing, apologized, and now it's over. BF is "in training" to become a HC (somewhere), and KF wants him acting more like himself than Bo Pelini.

Have you watched Saban or Meyer on the sideline? And Kirk drops the bombs on the sideline, just not at players, but at the refs for sure.

I think BF was given control of the playbook against tOSU as a resume builder...then KF took it back the next game.

It's a common method for grooming coaches to take over programs internally as they can point to specific games and plead their case to the AD.

If you look at the tOSU game and the offensive play calling, it's easy to see there was a significant deviation from what we've come to know and love/loathe.

That's my hypothesis.

Might be true. But staff stability comes into play and BF certainly addresses that favorably "if" Kirk's staff truly embraces him.

If I were Barta, I'd want BF to succeed. Talk about favorable staff stability. As a fan, I hope BF succeeds. But I want to support a high character mature coach. We have had special times for 40 years.

Like it or not, Brian's press box out burst was telling. And I continue to hear little nuggets that concern me. I'm sure age and maturity are playing a role & things will improve.
I agree with everything you said i'm having a hard time getting on board with BF.
I felt the same way about Fran from day 1.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I think BF was given control of the playbook against tOSU as a resume builder...then KF took it back the next game.

It's a common method for grooming coaches to take over programs internally as they can point to specific games and plead their case to the AD.

If you look at the tOSU game and the offensive play calling, it's easy to see there was a significant deviation from what we've come to know and love/loathe.

That's my hypothesis.

Kirk probably dialed him up on his rotary dial phone and told him to cut it out.

Do you think Kirk has a flip phone or a smart phone or still only has the corded phone with the long cord so he can go into another room so no one overhears his conversations?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT