ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz

There's no more respected HC in college football than Kirk Ferentz, period. Nick and Urban are used car salesmen.

Well many would say they are success and Kirk is failure. Lots of win at all costs people. I don't agree with that but many do.

I bet if Urban is still around when we play them next he tells Kirk no more funny business and no exotic non-Kirk like plays just against his team.

I think BF was given control of the playbook against tOSU as a resume builder...then KF took it back the next game.

It's a common method for grooming coaches to take over programs internally as they can point to specific games and plead their case to the AD.

If you look at the tOSU game and the offensive play calling, it's easy to see there was a significant deviation from what we've come to know and love/loathe.

That's my hypothesis.
You can't be that damn dumb...smh

If Brian does end up HC, I wonder if Kirk would stick around and just be the offensive line coach? That way he could still be involved in operations, but not have the pressure of what he’s doing now.

Reactions: deanhawk88
Not to mention a 1st year true soph QB and losing both Sr OTs to injury, replaced by 2 fresh. It really could have been worse.
we were lucky Stanley did not get killed, especially from his blind side; somehow OSU did not exploit this; Wisky did, however

remember the beatings CJ took over his last 2 seasons at Iowa?

Reactions: deanhawk88
You can't be that damn dumb...smh

P1ss off.
Were you at the game?
What's your explanation for the offensive play calling against tOSU?
Do I need to chart out how it differed from our normal patterns.
You got some likes from our resident Nebubba troll which is unsuprising given your content free response.

Post how ANY of my hypothesis would be patently wrong or STFU.

If you actually believe that Brian was the OC for OSU and not the one calling the plays against wiscy, nebby, and purdont.......... yeeesh I don't know where too start... I would simply ask WHY? WHY would the staff do this...." hey guys Brian called the plays last week but we don't want the fans getting too excited so let's shit the bed against Purdue on senior day give KF the keys back".............. The play calling was exactly the same the difference was against OSU we couldn't do anything wrong, everything was working and it snowballed. Against wiscy nothing worked.

Reactions: BigBroSker
If you actually believe that Brian was the OC for OSU and not the one calling the plays against wiscy, nebby, and purdont.......... yeeesh I don't know where too start... I would simply ask WHY? WHY would the staff do this...." hey guys Brian called the plays last week but we don't want the fans getting too excited so let's shit the bed against Purdue on senior day give KF the keys back".............. The play calling was exactly the same the difference was against OSU we couldn't do anything wrong, everything was working and it snowballed. Against wiscy nothing worked.

BF calls the plays. KF can override at any time.
My hypothesis was KF refrained from overriding during tOSU and we saw patterns normally absent or greatly reduced when KF maintained that privilege.

Read anything by Bill Walsh on coach and staff development and get back to me.

Reactions: Hawk_Sitter
FWIW I think Brian is less likely to be hired on if KF gets another extension. I get that "Ferentz fatigue" shouldn't be the reason BF doesn't get the job but if the transition doesn't happen in 3-4 years and takes 6-8 there are going to be more people in the "anybody but a Ferentz" boat.

Depends on what those 6-8 years are like....

My hypothesis was KF refrained from overriding during tOSU and we saw patterns normally absent or greatly reduced when KF maintained that privilege.

Just saying you have read a book doesn't give your stance validity. If what you are saying is true Kirk and crew should be fired for essentially throwing the Purdue game at that point. Your wrong man.

Last edited:
BF calls the plays.

Which of the following box scores corresponds to the Ohio St game? It should be easy for you to spot the different pattern, right?

GAME....... PASS ATT...... RUSH .......... % pass plays

A ..... 41 ........ 39 ...... 51% passing

B .... 22 ...... 19 ..... 54%

C .... 31 .... 36 ..... 46%

D .... 24 .... 21 ..... 53%

E ..... 20 ..... 45 ..... 31%

Last edited:
Here's the 'key'

A= IA St
B= Penn St
C= Ohio St
D=WI
E= NB

Other than the offense sucking against both Penn St and WI, there really isn't much of a pattern to a neanderthal like me. I'm still waiting for Blackleaf40's chart of every possession for the entire season, and the statistical analysis with a P value less than 0.05 showing that Ohio St. playing calling was clearly different.

Which of the following box scores corresponds to the Ohio St game? It should be easy for you to spot the different pattern, right?

GAME....... PASS ATT...... RUSH .......... % pass plays

A ..... 41 ........ 39 ...... 51% passing

B .... 22 ...... 19 ..... 54%

C .... 31 .... 36 ..... 46%

D .... 24 .... 21 ..... 53%

E ..... 20 ..... 45 ..... 31%

I can't figure out your grid.

It's PASS attempts....Runs....% of plays that were passes. I tried to include extra spaces but it got smooshed together when I posted.

You do realize what a pattern is right?
What you posted ( I think) is total yards.

There are a number of different pass patterns that can result in 10 yards.

Here's the 'key'

A= IA St
B= Penn St
C= Ohio St
D=WI
E= NB

Other than the offense sucking against both Penn St and WI, there really isn't much of a pattern to a neanderthal like me. I'm still waiting for Blackleaf40's chart of every possession for the entire season, and the statistical analysis with a P value less than 0.05 showing that Ohio St. playing calling was clearly different.

Who said Id do that?

The difference was the players made the plays against OSU and didn't make plays against Wiscy. Same guy, roughly the same amount of "override". Coach isn't going to throttle back his kid the game after he was on fire, and if so that would be a fireable offense.

so you think they finally let bf call plays for the osu game
then after putting up 50+ on osu they decided he shouldn't call plays?

:confused:

Its pretty amazing the number of people in both college and the NFL, who speak very highly of BF, yet many Iowa fans think he just riding his dads coat tails. :rolleyes:
How often do coaches mention anything bad about other coaches/assistants etc?
I don't put too much stock into what other coaches etc say. They aren't gonna come out and say "oh that dude is an idiot, I have no idea how he has a job" ;)

That said, it doesn't mean that they aren't giving their honest opinion......

Its pretty amazing the number of people in both college and the NFL, who speak very highly of BF, yet many Iowa fans think he just riding his dads coat tails. :rolleyes:

It's a fraternity, they don't talk poorly about themselves at all, even the ones that hate each other. I would contest the guys that are disliked the most behind closed doors are the ones that have the highest winning percentages.

I at least saw BF learned as year went on , Example against every zone play Wisky sent their backside LBSs unblocked all day long , took away the cutbacks and in most cases blew up the play , Neb did same thing in 1st QT with success. BF adjusted by having the FB block backside and going to straight ahead blocking and rest of the day trucked Nebraska. Still hard to forgive the Purdue game not a single throw over 20 yards

Reactions: Blackleaf40
It's a fraternity, they don't talk poorly about themselves at all, even the ones that hate each other. I would contest the guys that are disliked the most behind closed doors are the ones that have the highest winning percentages.
How often do coaches mention anything bad about other coaches/assistants etc?
I don't put too much stock into what other coaches etc say. They aren't gonna come out and say "oh that dude is an idiot, I have no idea how he has a job" ;)

That said, it doesn't mean that they aren't giving their honest opinion......

True, but some coaches have gone out of their way, (O'Brein comes to mind), to state that they would be thrilled to have BF on their staff, if he thought he could pry him away from Iowa. I highly doubt that this is something said of any assistant they have been asked about.

Is KF gonna forfeit those 10s of millions just so his kid can have his job?

Its called retiring. He dont need any more money. He cluld retire tomorrow and not blink an eye at money the rest of his life. Kirk dont care about the money. If he did, he would be iin the NFL somewhere. He will be 63 this year. 3 or 4 more years with Brian under his wings and he will be ready to retire or Brian wont stick around and Kirk isnt going to let that happen.

When does his current contract expire? It is known that coaches need a 4 year contract to keep effectively recruiting. Kirk keeps a good staff that is loyal to the Hawkeye program so even recruiting (not that he is a badass recruiter or anything) wont take a hit. Brian will have much more to build on in his first few years than Kirk did and Iowas way will continue without a hitch.

Its called retiring. He dont need any more money. He cluld retire tomorrow and not blink an eye at money the rest of his life. Kirk dont care about the money. If he did, he would be iin the NFL somewhere. He will be 63 this year. 3 or 4 more years with Brian under his wings and he will be ready to retire or Brian wont stick around and Kirk isnt going to let that happen.

When does his current contract expire? It is known that coaches need a 4 year contract to keep effectively recruiting. Kirk keeps a good staff that is loyal to the Hawkeye program so even recruiting (not that he is a badass recruiter or anything) wont take a hit. Brian will have much more to build on in his first few years than Kirk did and Iowas way will continue without a hitch.
There are plenty of millionaires out there that don't NEED more money, not many of them have stopped obtaining more(and certainly don't throw it away). That said, I doubt he is coaching for the money, but because he loves his job.

He has 9 years left on his contract, I HIGHLY doubt he is gone within 3 years.....and he shouldn't be.

What does the NFL have to do with money? The highest paid coach in AMERICA(and one of the top 5 in the WORLD) is a college football coach and KF probably makes more than most nfl head coaches right now.

Who said Id do that?
P1ss off.
Were you at the game?
What's your explanation for the offensive play calling against tOSU?
Do I need to chart out how it differed from our normal patterns.
You got some likes from our resident Nebubba troll which is unsuprising given your content free response.

Post how ANY of my hypothesis would be patently wrong or STFU.

You said you were going to chart out the OSU game, or were you just spewing bs?

Here's the 'key'

A= IA St
B= Penn St
C= Ohio St
D=WI
E= NB

Who said Id do that?
so you think they finally let bf call plays for the osu game
then after putting up 50+ on osu they decided he shouldn't call plays?

:confused:

Please reread what I actually said.

You said you were going to chart out the OSU game, or were you just spewing bs?

I asked "do I need to.." figuring people would recognize the higher percentage of double TE and offset patterns that were run.

Did you play football?

Asking for a friend.

@paladinhawk you may not know this, but @Blackleaf40 is a decorated veteran of the armed forces (unspecified) and he “played football”, so I recommend you just agree that he didn’t post what he did post and move on. He does not like facts or stats or being held accountable for his ridiculous posts.

@BigBroSker is @H8FULLGR8.

Post where I EVER said I was a "decorated member of the armed forces".

@H8FULLGR8's posting history speaks for itself.

Can u read?

Post link where I stated I was a "decorated war veteran". Post a link where I stated I was even a vet.

Post your link where you stated you were a manager with "Hawkeye fan* employees that "agreed with your posts".

@H8FULLGR8

I asked "do I need to.." figuring people would recognize the higher percentage of double TE and offset patterns that were run.

Did you play football?

Asking for a friend.

Sometimes you take what you can get and exploit the hell out of it. That doesnt mean someone else ran the show for a day..

I’m having a hard time finding any posts from @H8FULLGR8, they must be pretty good to get your panties in a bunch. I posted above where you stated “I wasn’t infantry...” which implies you were something in the military or you should’ve just stated that you’ve never served......you are a horrible person.

If you can't access your own posting history - you're stupid.
The fact you conflated "I was never infantry" into me claiming to be a "decorated war veteran" or being in service at all further highlights your proclivity for hysterics and meshes well with the fact you've been banned on this board multiple times for being a jackass.

You can go ahead and like your own posts and respond to yourself with your multiple usernames.

You're not fooling anyone here. We know you.

You're a failure.

@BigBroSker = @H8FULLGR8

I like BF and hope he grows into a great OC and possibly a head coach someday. However in his first year Iowa was 116th out out 129 for total offense (10th out of 14 in the Big10).

How about he gets Iowa into the top 4 or 5 in the Big10 before anointing him the next head coach?
Exactly. Brian has done nothing at this point to prove he is head coach material. If cussing qualifies you, then I'm head coach material too, because I cuss all the time watching Iowa's offense.

Reactions: Thorn_sker
Which do you hate worse, the fact that HF and KF both have a losing records against Nebraska or the fact that Iowa’s all time record against Nebraska is so lopsided that you’ll never see Iowa get on the winning side of the series?

Best lock it down or delete. Maybe you should PM @Blackleaf40 and tell him to stop picking fights he can’t win.

I've won already. Whaddya talking about?

Every new desperate handle you create equals more me winning.

Reactions: Cannot_Stopsker
Right, you’re still trying to figure out why the IP ban isn’t working. Newsflash, as long as I am here you are losing. Thanks for entertaining me. Please keep going I’m sure the rest of the board appreciates it. How many times have you complained to the mods? My guess is a lot of frustration on your part and it’s great.

Which do you hate worse, the fact that HF and KF both have a losing records against Nebraska or the fact that Iowa’s all time record against Nebraska is so lopsided that you’ll never see Iowa get on the winning side of the series?

Mods can see u just fine. I never complain to them.

More me winning!!!!!

Reactions: Cannot_Stopsker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT