ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz

Since 1442 Iowa leads the series 9-8 , Nebraska series lead due to 10 straight wins 1931-41 , take those years out and guess what Bugeater . So in closing once again a Nebraska fan living in the very distant past grasping for glory, what is relevant Iowa has won 4 of last 5 and your current team is as tough as a jr high glee club.

Since 1442 Iowa leads the series 9-8 , Nebraska series lead due to 10 straight wins 1931-41 , take those years out and guess what Bugeater . So in closing once again a Nebraska fan living in the very distant past grasping for glory, what is relevant Iowa has won 4 of last 5 and your current team is as tough as a jr high glee club.

LOLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iowa beat wisc
So your answer is A? You hate the fact that HF and KF both have losing records against Nebraska. Yeah that must be tough for an Iowa fan.
actually no because KF is 4-5 against Neb and will be 5-5 after this year . KF is 7-5 against Michigan , KF 8-6 against PSU 2 wins total against OSU ( how many wins has Neb had over OSU since 1999 ? oh and tell me how football records were kept in 1442 , Christopher Columbus's grand pap was Nebraskas Fullback huh.

This thread is full of so much fail. I thought the Kentucky guy that wanted to use Ohio States Numbers was a low, now we have a Nebraska poster talking about our record against the actual blue bloods. I'll answer your question Debby. I hate know it's going to take a minor miracle to get the series tied. Now your turn, what was worse 40-10 away when you thought you were decent, or 56-14 at home when you knew the wheels had fallen off?

It was answered and then deleted by Iowa mods. The short version was any loss to Iowa is unacceptable. Looking forward to getting the series back to 7 out of 10 in Nebraska’s favor. Iowa getting 3 of every ten from a blue blood like Nebraska should make Iowa fan feel pretty good.

You've been losing for awhile.

We're getting used to feeling good.

It was answered and then deleted by Iowa mods. The short version was any loss to Iowa is unacceptable. Looking forward to getting the series back to 7 out of 10 in Nebraska’s favor. Iowa getting 3 of every ten from a blue blood like Nebraska should make Iowa fan feel pretty good.
blue blood? maybe blue balls.......

Seems so silly to try to get this foolish argument back on track, but oh well... I never got too worried when the NFL came calling for Kirk - but I'm not sure I feel quite as secure with Brian. Matt Patricia, Bill Belichick and Bill O'Brien are sure to come calling one of these days, and Brian might just want to build his own, shadowless brand himself. Big loss for the Hawks. Hope it's a long time coming, and the long road leads home.

Seems so silly to try to get this foolish argument back on track, but oh well... I never got too worried when the NFL came calling for Kirk - but I'm not sure I feel quite as secure with Brian. Matt Patricia, Bill Belichick and Bill O'Brien are sure to come calling one of these days, and Brian might just want to build his own, shadowless brand himself. Big loss for the Hawks. Hope it's a long time coming, and the long road leads home.

Let's all hope Brian has a body of work in a few years that could lead to him getting poached. Being a good guy doesn't get you an advanced NFL coaching position and his body of work doesn't hold a candle to some of the best CFB OC's. People can like him and talk nice about him until they are blue in the face, being willing to pay him for his services is a different story.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_Caulk
Iowa’s offense wasn’t bad last year. We play a slow ball control tempo, so simple offensive stats aren’t really a great measure. We were actually upper middle (30-40) in FBS in offensive efficiency depending on which system you use.

Brian’s resume is more than enough to get an NFL assistant job or a mid major head coaching job. If you think he got to this point due to favors you are a stupid mother ****er. Yes, I’m sure Belichick and O’Brien are willing to use an FTE as a favor to Kirk. As as likely as using one of 53 roster slots on James because Kirk is a buddy. Almost every job in the world is filled through some sort of connection or reference. Most people screw it up...Brian hasn’t.

You are of the belief if BFs last name was Smith he would have been the most qualified candidate available to Iowa post GD?

If you say yes, you are severely undervaluing that position and what the U of I can offer and if not you contradict yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawks_Rock_Caulk
I agree.

Now, I'm going to get shot for mentioning this, but I'm concerned a bit about Brian. I've heard some negatives things out of the football complex that concern me. And certainly some of it can be evaluated more than one way.

I love Tom Kakert's pod casts and he certainly seems to like interacting with Brian which calms my concerns a bit, but I've heard there have been some bumps in dealing with other staff.

Just curious if others have heard anything. And in no way am I trying to stir the pot. Just curious if others have heard anything concerning.

Herk, I understand your concern. And I have absolutely no knowledge of the situation. But on it's face, I think the chance that this is good news is just as likely as the chance that it's bad news.

Abrasiveness for the sake of abrasiveness is obviously a problem. But virtually no driven, successful person isn't considered abrasive by some, if not by many.

KF has always appeared to have a very tranquil relationship with his staff. At the same time, he has micromanaged the offense and considered himself the smartest offensive guy in the room when in reality the offense has been among the most inept P5 .offenses for years and years. Since that is well recognized, the staff also knows that. So why do those things never change or change only slightly over years? Does he have an agreement with staff members that basically says "I will tolerate no input, but if you keep your mouth shut, you can stay here forever"? I've always considered this relationship to be very suspect.

So maybe BF has a more open relationship where he is open to suggestions
on one hand, but being quick to point out staff deficiencies on the other hand.

I'm not suggesting this as a defense .of Brian. I thought he was a very poor choice and unqualified. But at this point, I'm much more concerned about his understanding of effective offensive tactics than I am about abrasiveness. If he learns something about offense, I have no problem with him implementing that by taking names and kicking butt.

Last edited:
Iowa’s offense wasn’t bad last year. We play a slow ball control tempo, so simple offensive stats aren’t really a great measure. We were actually upper middle (30-40) in FBS in offensive efficiency depending on which system you use.

Do you have any links to back this up? I don't like ESPN stats very much, but they give Iowa an efficiency rating of 54.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings/_/sort/offEfficiency/tab/efficiency

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

You are right though, I had the total team rank for espn pulled up instead of offense. So they are slightly above average. (Not at the bottom like people mention)
Thanks for the link.

It's slightly odd that Iowa's Offensive Drive Success rate (ODS) is ranked 90th. Anyhow we'll see how BF's offense does this upcoming season. Hopefully it will be better measured by all metrics.

76th in offensive efficiency based on starting feild position, 90th in drives that generatted "value" greater than the starting feild position, 108th in how many yards gained compared compared to how many available, 125th in drives that resulted in a first down or touchdown........We did get alot of credit foe who we did it against though so that's a plus.

This from Hawk Central is NOT encouraging.

Hooker and Gervase proved to be playmakers a year ago, and haven’t slowed down. Gervase, a senior starter at free safety, intercepted three passes during the spring finale last year, and three more during the regular season. He was very active again Friday as the Hawkeyes’ starting offense struggled to sustain drives.

This from Hawk Central is NOT encouraging.

Hooker and Gervase proved to be playmakers a year ago, and haven’t slowed down. Gervase, a senior starter at free safety, intercepted three passes during the spring finale last year, and three more during the regular season. He was very active again Friday as the Hawkeyes’ starting offense struggled to sustain drives.
Isn't it obvious? They were playing against the best Defense in the B1G! Besides, you don't really want to show the "good stuff" at an open practice...bad people are watchin'.

Isn't it obvious? They were playing against the best Defense in the B1G! Besides, you don't really want to show the "good stuff" at an open practice...bad people are watchin'.
Yep, there is always an excuse why the offense struggles.

Seems kind of silly to be having this argument of Brian taking over as head coach. Brian has a long way to go before anyone should be comfortable with him taking over this program we all love so dearly. Fortunately, we have 3-4 years minimum before it is even an issue. If Brian continues to ut a positive stamp on this program and we see more improvement during that time, I have no problem with him being at the top of the list. Not sure why any of you would. Maybe we should see how the next couple years play out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT