ADVERTISEMENT

Bridge Collapse Baltimore

It’s being reported that the vessel was having power outage and electrical problems 48 hrs before deporting. This is evidence that can be used to bust limitations (the cap in maritime liability). That’s good. Unfortunately most of these shippers don’t have towers of insurance much more than the value of the vessel - so you are still looking at a limited fund for the claimants.

Hopefully this will be a case that overturns or limits application of Robin’s Dry Dock - because right now none of the pure economic damages w/o corresponding property damage are recoverable in a claim against the vessel.
Skanska has been ongoing for over 3 years in Pensacola Federal Court. I'm not sure where it stands right now. It may be instructive to how this event plays out.

CNN

More than 1,000 US Army Corps of Engineers personnel were activated to help clear the critical shipping channel where Baltimore's Key Bridge collapsed.

Lt. Gen. Scott Spellmon, commander and chief of engineers, explained the team will approach the mission in three steps. Here's what they are:

• Step 1: Get the steel trust out of a 700-foot-wide by 50-foot-deep channel, and examine what parts of the concrete are still at the bottom. "Any piece of concrete, any piece of steel on the bottom is just as much as of a hazard as that in the channel," Spellmon said. This step will allow "one-way traffic going in and out of the Port of Baltimore again," he said.
  • Step 2: Work closely with the Coast Guard to stabilize containers on top of the ship. Then the trust of the bridge that is still on top of the ship needs to be taken off "so it can be tugged to a safe part of the port," Spellmon said. "By removing the vessel, that will allow us to reopen two-way traffic."
  • Step 3: Take out the remaining 2,900 feet of steel and all the associated concrete and roadway that's at the river bottom.
"We're up to this task. We have what we need," Spellmon said.

"Republicans don’t want federal dollars to be used to rebuild the Baltimore bridge. A reminder of the reason why our infrastructure is so behind & crumbling in the first place — they put politics over people every damn time!

Republicans think they’re blocking Biden, but here’s what they’re really blocking…

• 52,300,000 tons of cargo moved through the port in 2023

• 140,000 jobs impacted by the collapse

• 2400 Union jobs at risk

• $2 million in lost wages per day

• 2nd largest US export port for coal"

My brother ran “small boats” out of Governors Island for years while in the Coast Guard. We were talking about container ships one day and I asked how they were held in place to avoid losses. His one word answer was “gravity”. He went on to say that there are often losses during major storm events.
Yep, it would take too long, and be too complex to secure those stacks of containers. Every now and then there are stories about a ship losing some containers and some lucky beach combers feasting on bags of Doritos that washed ashore.

Reactions: billanole
"Oopsies, that one's on me" - ship captain
433447360_7725506377462203_8719159548034029395_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
  • Sad
Reactions: lucas80
Traffic on US 59 in Oklahoma has been rerouted after a barge collided with a bridge support.
1. Weird that they have so much DEI in Oklahoma that this occurred.
2. Nice to know that Oklahoma's governor and their congressional delegation will refuse all that dirty federal money if critical damages are found.
https://apnews.com/article/barge-bridge-b5b23e261d82624a4c77334a16af139f

"Republicans don’t want federal dollars to be used to rebuild the Baltimore bridge. A reminder of the reason why our infrastructure is so behind & crumbling in the first place — they put politics over people every damn time!

Republicans think they’re blocking Biden, but here’s what they’re really blocking…

Largest port on the East Coast for auto imports too. Baltimore needs our help and I’m okay with it. 🇺🇸

Largest port on the East Coast for auto imports too. Baltimore needs our help and I’m okay with it. 🇺🇸
As mentioned, it's a large export hub for ag machinery, some of which is made in Iowa. That is some expensive stuff, and worth a lot of money. It needs to get out onto the market. Our congressional delegation should be telling the clowns wanting to delay clean up to STFU.
I don't know how serious or widespread the sentiment is to hold up funding, but it shouldn't' be accepted by any clear thinking American.

The port needs to be opened ASAP. The bridge isn't as pressing as the 35W bridge in Minneapolis in 2007.

There's another way around Baltimore using 695

Sure and sending hazmat an extra 20 minutes plus whatever traffic gets added from the 30k vehicles that crossed that bridge a day is impractical. It wasn't designed to handle that traffic.

Reactions: goldmom
My brother ran “small boats” out of Governors Island for years while in the Coast Guard. We were talking about container ships one day and I asked how they were held in place to avoid losses. His one word answer was “gravity”. He went on to say that there are often losses during major storm events.
Back in '92 a ship lost 28,000 rubber ducks when a contain fell overboard in the middle of the Pacific in a storm. Making duck sauce from rubber duckies, scientists used their journey to map currents around the world. Twenty-five years later, some of those ducks came ashore in UK.

content-1610543990-friendly-floatees.jpg

You can go here now and track the journey your own rubber duckie - or any other floating trash - would take if you tossed it overboard just about anywhere in the world's oceans.

Back in '92 a ship lost 28,000 rubber ducks when a contain fell overboard in the middle of the Pacific in a storm. Making duck sauce from rubber duckies, scientists used their journey to map currents around the world. Twenty-five years later, some of those ducks came ashore in UK.

content-1610543990-friendly-floatees.jpg

You can go here now and track the journey your own rubber duckie - or any other floating trash - would take if you tossed it overboard just about anywhere in the world's oceans.
Very CSB. It seems like I had heard about the hearty ducks.

I have a bachelor's degree in construction management. I think I'm well aware of extra costs, and this project needs to be expedited.
This is an opportunity to consider changes in the area from the original design in 1971 and provide updates.

The ships are certainly larger than they were 50 years ago. Should the bridge be taller? Will the channel ever be widened?

Are four lanes enough?

Should there be capacity for rail on the bridge at some point, especially with the new distribution infrastructure at Sparrow's Point?

Bike/walking path?

Better truck egress/ingress to the Amazon facility at Sparrow's Point?

These aren't things that should be answered in a few weeks like the 35W bridge in Minneapolis.

This is an opportunity to consider changes in the area from the original design in 1971 and provide updates.

The ships are certainly larger than they were 50 years ago. Should the bridge be taller? Will the channel ever be widened?

Are four lanes enough?

Should there be capacity for rail on the bridge at some point, especially with the new distribution infrastructure at Sparrow's Point?

Bike/walking path?

Better truck egress/ingress to the Amazon facility at Sparrow's Point?

These aren't things that should be answered in a few weeks like the 35W bridge in Minneapolis.
Why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT