ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Harding

As good as Gesell and Woodbury were during their first year at Iowa in 2012/13 that was their first year playing together and as expected there was a learning curve they had to overcome.
Harding and Freeman even though it's their first year at Iowa, they have already played together for the last 4 years and therefore already know how each other thinks. That's a big advantage and will pay huge dividends throughout this coming season.
Iowa fans are going to see some exceptional play from both of them this year and how they play off each other is going to please even the most skeptical fans.
Harding will blow away the freshman stats that Gesell put up in the 2012/13 season, that's my prediction anyway.
Hope your predictions are correct.

I know you are a huge Harding and Freeman fan. It is understandable, if you got to watch them play a lot in HS. I think you are being way too negative about Bowen, who I think has some serious talent. I hope we have two young PGs, who are playing both playing well and sharing time at PG, because we will be a much better team. Bowen did NOT get many minutes last year, so your thinking that he is automatically handed PG hardly applies.

Again, I believe Harding will be a really good PG at Iowa. However, to not recognize that Harding is going to face a significant disadvantage, is just closing your eyes to a fact. Look closely at the team picture. Bowen got bullied last year. Now, compare Bowen to Harding in the picture. Harding looks like a typical teenage boy, not an elite athlete. Bowen is probably 3" taller, is now much better built to withstand physicality, has much longer arms, and even much bigger hands. Highest level college BB is very different from HS, as Bowen learned last year. I hope you are right that Harding will be a star day 1, but I will surprised if it doesn't take some time.

Oh, and Ulis was a better player than you and others think.
In that pic, Bowen looks to be about as tall as Perkins. How tall is Perkins?

You're like a teenage girl with a crush.
Until proven otherwise, yes, I'm extremely high on Brock and Owen. I predicted those 2 would lead Moline to a state title in the summer of 22 when it was announced that Owen was transferring to Moline. It was a no brainer....the best center, and the best guard in the state of Illinois, plus the returning senior players to balance out the roster.

Until proven otherwise, yes, I'm extremely high on Brock and Owen. I predicted those 2 would lead Moline to a state title in the summer of 22 when it was announced that Owen was transferring to Moline. It was a no brainer....the best center, and the best guard in the state of Illinois, plus the returning senior players to balance out the roster.
I just hope you don't try to Jeff Gillooly Bowen.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Yes, I can see why you were so high on Aaron, 3 years at Iowa and in 83 games he averaged 4ppg and 1.5 assists per game and as a senior starter in 26 of 31 games he averaged 6.2ppg and slightly more then 1 assist per game.
Yes, those type of players are why Iowa can't get passed the first week. Good kid just not good enough.
There are two ends of the court and Ahron Ulis was by far the toughest defensive guard on the team. I think Bowen and Harding are more talented, but they have to prove that they won't get pushed around and taken out of their game. Bowen sure had problems last year.

You've also claimed that Mike Gesell was not athletic and Nimmers was the most athletic and skilled player on the Iowa roster. All because you have some weird obsession with players from the Quad Cities.

Ummmm, that shot position will require a wide open look to get off....he"ll need to elevate that release point immediately as his defenders will be all over it...
3 Pointers almost never get blocked for a wide variety of reasons but I'll list two here.

The vast majority of 3pt attempts are unguarded. Defenders are coached not to leave their feet to contest jump shots because nothing good happens when you leave your feet to contest a jump shot.

It's not an issue.

3 Pointers almost never get blocked for a wide variety of reasons but I'll list two here.

The vast majority of 3pt attempts are unguarded. Defenders are coached not to leave their feet to contest jump shots because nothing good happens when you leave your feet to contest a jump shot.

It's not an issue.
Just to reiterate your point, Kris Murray averaged over 6 feet of separation on his 3 point attempts last year which was the 2nd most space of the entire draft class. And that's from someone who was the focal point of every defensive scouting report. The low release really matters for NBA potential and for guys playing for bad offensive coaches where players have to take a lot of contested shots. It might come up occasionally in late shot clock situations or end of game stuff, but that's about it TBH.

It’s going to be tough for the guys playing in front of a half empty arena when the women are playing in front of packed houses every game.

It’s going to be tough for the guys playing in front of a half empty arena when the women are playing in front of packed houses every game.
11 of their 16 home games are on Friday, Saturday or Sundays. And that includes 8 Big Ten games. That in-itself will help attendance.

There seems to be some weird woman vs the men basketball thing going on with a small subset of fans. I promise it's okay to root for both and hope they both pack Carver, it doesn't make you less of a fan to think so.

Just to reiterate your point, Kris Murray averaged over 6 feet of separation on his 3 point attempts last year which was the 2nd most space of the entire draft class. And that's from someone who was the focal point of every defensive scouting report. The low release really matters for NBA potential and for guys playing for bad offensive coaches where players have to take a lot of contested shots. It might come up occasionally in late shot clock situations or end of game stuff, but that's about it TBH.
Right, most 3s come off ball movement, rebounds or transition.

There's very few guys that have any business shooting contested 3s off the dribble.

That’s true to some extent, but you don’t see a lot of great short 3 point shooters, either. People played off Kris because they were picking their poison and he was a relatively weak 3 point shooter. Bohannon was an exception, being fairly short, because he had tremendous range and a fairly quick release. He wasn’t a threat to drive, which Harding might be.

That’s true to some extent, but you don’t see a lot of great short 3 point shooters, either. People played off Kris because they were picking their poison and he was a relatively weak 3 point shooter. Bohannon was an exception, being fairly short, because he had tremendous range and a fairly quick release. He wasn’t a threat to drive, which Harding might be.
I’m gun shy because we’ve seen transition from HS to Big Ten difficult for our shooters and I’m hoping Brock isn’t the next casualty

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I haven't looked at many of Brock's shots in HS, but the college line is 1 foot farther out. So if he was usually very near the line in HS, it may be an adjustment to college. If he was anything like Clark, then another foot won't make much difference.

They were AAU teammates and my understanding is they were kind of a packaged deal due to this
I don't believe they were ever a package deal. Freeman had several B1G offers when he committed to Iowa in 2021. The staff had to watch Harding much longer to make sure he was a Power 5 player. Once offered Harding did jump on the Iowa offer. According to this site we were Brock's only Power 5 offer.

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't believe they were ever a package deal. Freeman had several B1G offers when he committed to Iowa in 2021. The staff had to watch Harding much longer to make sure he was a Power 5 player. Once offered Harding did jump on the Iowa offer. According to this site we were Brock's only Power 5 offer.
The person you replied to was saying that Woodbury and Gesell were a package deal.

The rough quote I heard from Fran on Brock’s recruitment, over two years in the making, at the point of the offer.

“Every time I went to a game to recruit another guy you were playing, you were the best player on the court.”

Saw some video tonight on the scrimmage vs Wichita St. He’s going to be at minimum, the first guard off the bench from game one.

• Love
Reactions: perryhawk
The rough quote I heard from Fran on Brock’s recruitment, over two years in the making, at the point of the offer.

“Every time I went to a game to recruit another guy you were playing, you were the best player on the court.”

Saw some video tonight on the scrimmage vs Wichita St. He’s going to be at minimum, the first guard off the bench from game one.
So, he has already passed Bowen in the rotation?

Right, most 3s come off ball movement, rebounds or transition.

There's very few guys that have any business shooting contested 3s off the dribble.
Which is one of the things that make Clark so amazing. Other then the really long logo threes, she shoots a quite a few fairly well contested threes as well. Of course it helps that she's 6' tall, and that crazy step to the left and back three she shoots.

Brock's release doesn't appear to be much lower than Jordan's. If he scores half as well, I'll be happy.
I haven't seen Brock play, but his tapes show a variety of shots from different distances. He seems to have an incredibly quick release, to go along with his quickness. Whether he can do most of that at this level, against bigger, quicker players, remains to be seen.

Reactions: Ronman
I'm hoping Harding and Freeman can be better than Gesell and Woody on the offensive end. If they can also be as good on the defensive end, along with the other two freshmen and incoming recruits, Iowa has a bright future.

I agree, I would hope Harding and Freeman will be better than Gessell and Woodbury on the offensive side of the ball.

Defense is gong to be issue with Harding because he's small. . If he can hold his own defensively, he has a chance of being good. My dream would be a better athlete/defender than JBO, maybe not the pure shooter of JBO but with a much better dribble drive game.

Gessell and Woody were role players and neither was good offensively. They had Aaron White, Devyn Marble earlier in their career and later Jok, Uthoff, Baer.

White, Marble, Jok, and Uthoff were all All-B1G caliber players at points in their career ....Woody and Gessell were not.

Reactions: shudaddy
Bowen will become Ulis 2.0 and end up on the bench or starting and giving Iowa nothing...with McCaffery a player named to the starting lineup practically has to die to be replaced in the lineup.
Oh wait isn't that the KF way of coaching!

Bowen can actually finish at the rim and has elite quickness. I agree Bowen hasn' t proven anything yet but he could become a very good player.

Ulis on the other hand has proven he was horrendous offensive player and Joe T. was the better player and the one we would have been better off keeping. Now both are gone, so doesn't matter. Neither was a star.

I agree, I would hope Harding and Freeman will be better than Gessell and Woodbury on the offensive side of the ball.

Defense is gong to be issue with Harding because he's small. . If he can hold his own defensively, he has a chance of being good. My dream would be a better athlete/defender than JBO, maybe not the pure shooter of JBO but with a much better dribble drive game.

Gessell and Woody were role players and neither was good offensively. They had Aaron White, Devyn Marble earlier in their career and later Jok, Uthoff, Baer.

White, Marble, Jok, and Uthoff were all All-B1G caliber players at points in their career ....Woody and Gessell were not.

Gesell has the single season assist record at Iowa and is 5th all time on the career list.

Kinda odd to say he wasn't good on offense.

I don't completely disagree with you, but I think you are underselling Gesell and Woody. There haven't been a lot of PG's better than Mike, when you look at his complete game. He played with injuries that impacted his game. I don't remember the details. Woody might be the best defensive center I can remember at Iowa, at least in the past few decades.

he makes plays like this look easy

he makes plays like this look easy

Dix is also really good, and brings a variety of skills, which give Fran a lot more lineup flexibility. I didn't see the exhibition game, but the four freshman plus Dix could be a pretty salty lineup going forward. Lack experience, which matters, but probably a better balanced lineup on both ends than the current starting lineup.

Dix is also really good, and brings a variety of skills, which give Fran a lot more lineup flexibility. I didn't see the exhibition game, but the four freshman plus Dix could be a pretty salty lineup going forward. Lack experience, which matters, but probably a better balanced lineup on both ends than the current starting lineup.
Based solely on last year's performance, Dix looked to me to be a top 2 or 3 player on the roster this year. I'm not sure how he doesn't start ahead of any guards outside of Perkins.

Reactions: skydog0784
Based solely on last year's performance, Dix looked to me to be a top 2 or 3 player on the roster this year. I'm not sure how he doesn't start ahead of any guards outside of Perkins.
My theory is that Fran wanted Dix with the 4 freshman this week just because he wanted to platoon sub for the exhibition game and Dix is more of a steadying presence than Bowen is. All off-season, the reporting was that Dix was the starting PG and I kind of have a feeling that will revert back on Tuesday since I doubt the plan is to platoon sub like that in real games.

My theory is that Fran wanted Dix with the 4 freshman this week just because he wanted to platoon sub for the exhibition game and Dix is more of a steadying presence than Bowen is. All off-season, the reporting was that Dix was the starting PG and I kind of have a feeling that will revert back on Tuesday since I doubt the plan is to platoon sub like that in real games.
Makes sense, except Fran has been platoon subbing since he arrived at Iowa.

As long as Dix is getting 20+ minutes, I don't care if he starts. Nice that he can play 1-3, although 2 is probably is natural position. Solid in all parts of the game, unlike many of the other guys.

As long as Dix is getting 20+ minutes, I don't care if he starts. Nice that he can play 1-3, although 2 is probably is natural position. Solid in all parts of the game, unlike many of the other guys.
It seems like we have this same discussion every year. Non starters getting 20+ minutes are a unicorn under Fran.

Makes sense, except Fran has been platoon subbing since he arrived at Iowa.
He hasn't done that in a number of years though, I can't even remember the last time we saw one against a power 6 opponent. 2017? I know we saw it some when JBo, Cook and Moss were starters as freshmen, he'd often platoon in 4 off the bench and keep Jok in with the 2nd unit. That seems like the last regular use of it, which was 7 seasons ago.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT