ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Harding

Confident kid, who has a lot of game. If Harding or Bowen can excel at PG, Iowa could be a big surprise in the B1G IMO.

Irrelevant question. How many guys have come to Iowa with serious tats that anyone can remember? I know Whitey has them now, but I don't remember any when he was playing at Iowa.
Guy Rucker had an awesome one

I read about his tats somewhere. They are very personal to him - each part is for something close to him. I don't remember any details tho! LOL

Reactions: 67Suburban
Confident kid, who has a lot of game. If Harding or Bowen can excel at PG, Iowa could be a big surprise in the B1G IMO.

Irrelevant question. How many guys have come to Iowa with serious tats that anyone can remember? I know Whitey has them now, but I don't remember any when he was playing at Iowa.
Really? The Mac brothers have several, most of then dedicated to Pmac and other family members cancer. Perkins is covered in tats. I believe Ulis had numerous ones also. Its probably more unusual to NOT have tats,

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I had an uncle that had several from his Marine days. He told me he wished he had never gotten them, so I never considered getting one. Don't understand having them but a lot of have them. I worked too hard for my money to spend money that way. The one I never understand is nose rings and piercings. But I hate fricking needles.

I also don't gamble, so don't understand the attraction. But a well aged bourbon or single malt, now that's another story.

I had an uncle that had several from his Marine days. He told me he wished he had never gotten them, so I never considered getting one. Don't understand having them but a lot of have them. I worked too hard for my money to spend money that way. The one I never understand is nose rings and piercings. But I hate fricking needles.

I also don't gamble, so don't understand the attraction. But a well aged bourbon or single malt, now that's another story.
The big thing now is that plug or spacer thing they put in the earlobe, that makes it droop. Crazy shit, but hey again to each their own.......

Really? The Mac brothers have several, most of then dedicated to Pmac and other family members cancer. Perkins is covered in tats. I believe Ulis had numerous ones also. Its probably more unusual to NOT have tats,
I forgot about the Mac tats and hadn't notice Perkins tats.

Seems like Harding and Freeman could be Gessel and Woodbury 2.0 🤞🤞🤞
As good as Gesell and Woodbury were during their first year at Iowa in 2012/13 that was their first year playing together and as expected there was a learning curve they had to overcome.
Harding and Freeman even though it's their first year at Iowa, they have already played together for the last 4 years and therefore already know how each other thinks. That's a big advantage and will pay huge dividends throughout this coming season.
Iowa fans are going to see some exceptional play from both of them this year and how they play off each other is going to please even the most skeptical fans.
Harding will blow away the freshman stats that Gesell put up in the 2012/13 season, that's my prediction anyway.

Last edited:
As good as Gesell and Woodbury were during their first year at Iowa in 2012/13 that was their first year playing together and as expected there was a learning curve they had to overcome.
Harding and Freeman even though it's their first year at Iowa, they have already played together for the last 4 years and therefore already know how each other thinks. That's a big advantage and will pay huge dividends throughout this coming season.
Iowa fans are going to see some exceptional play from both of them this year and how they play off each other is going to please even the most skeptical fans.
Harding will blow away the freshman stats that Gesell put up in the 2012/13 season, that's my prediction anyway.

Gesell and Woodbury had played well over 100 games together before they arrived on campus.

What are your predictions for Harding's freshman stats? 20 PPG? 8 APG?

They were AAU teammates and my understanding is they were kind of a packaged deal due to this

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I'm hoping Harding and Freeman can be better than Gesell and Woody on the offensive end. If they can also be as good on the defensive end, along with the other two freshmen and incoming recruits, Iowa has a bright future.

I'm hoping Harding and Freeman can be better than Gesell and Woody on the offensive end. If they can also be as good on the defensive end, along with the other two freshmen and incoming recruits, Iowa has a bright future.

I doubt it defensively. Both are giving up multiple inches. They could be substantially better offensively.

I doubt it defensively. Both are giving up multiple inches. They could be substantially better offensively.
Freeman is only an inch shorter and I’m guessing has much longer arms than T-Rex Woodbury, who was a great defender and rebounder nonetheless.

They were AAU teammates and my understanding is they were kind of a packaged deal due to this
Sorry, didn't remember that, but Brock & Owen playing together for entire 38 game schedule, plus winning the Illinois State 4A title has to account for something.

I thought Mike was pretty tuff with good stats. After checking, he only averaged 8 ppg and 4 apg. Around 40% fg and 31% 3pt fg. Not really very good.
Shooting is only one part of the game. That was Mike's weakness, although I think injuries contributed to that. He was a tough, good defender on Fran's best defensive teams during his four years (although that is not a high bar). I think he also had a very good assist/turnover ratio, maybe 2.5:1.

Freeman is only an inch shorter and I’m guessing has much longer arms than T-Rex Woodbury, who was a great defender and rebounder nonetheless.

Heights from Hawkeyesports.com:

6-11 Mulvey
6-10 Freeman
6-9 Brauns (next to Owen below)

6-5 Dix
6-4 Perkins
6-2 Bowen
6-0 Harding

From yesterday (or this morning):

F8-FUXZWkAAIxyB

Heights from Hawkeyesports.com:

6-11 Mulvey
6-10 Freeman
6-9 Brauns (next to Owen below)

6-5 Dix
6-4 Perkins
6-2 Bowen
6-0 Harding

From yesterday (or this morning):

F8-FUXZWkAAIxyB

Freeman looks to be every bit of 6-10, although photos can be deceptive. Definitely taller than Brauns by a couple of inches.

Without trying to start a debate, from the picture, either Bowen is taller than 6-2 or Harding is shorter than 6-0. I still expect Brock to be very good, but defenders from top teams are going to test his ability to handle physicality on both ends. Bowen struggled with that last year, but it looks like he was busy in the weight room in the off season to make sure that doesn't continue.

Last edited:
Freeman looks to be every bit of 6-10, although photos can be deceptive. Definitely taller than Brauns by a couple of inches.

Without trying to start a debate, from the picture, either Bowen is taller than 6-2 or Harding is shorter than 6-0. I still expect Brock to be very good, but defenders from top teams are going to test his ability to handle physicality on both ends. Bowen struggled with that last year, but it looks like he was busy in the weight room in the off season to make sure that doesn't continue.
Bowen will become Ulis 2.0 and end up on the bench or starting and giving Iowa nothing...with McCaffery a player named to the starting lineup practically has to die to be replaced in the lineup.
Oh wait isn't that the KF way of coaching!

Bowen will become Ulis 2.0 and end up on the bench or starting and giving Iowa nothing...with McCaffery a player named to the starting lineup practically has to die to be replaced in the lineup.
Oh wait isn't that the KF way of coaching!
I know you are a huge Harding and Freeman fan. It is understandable, if you got to watch them play a lot in HS. I think you are being way too negative about Bowen, who I think has some serious talent. I hope we have two young PGs, who are playing both playing well and sharing time at PG, because we will be a much better team. Bowen did NOT get many minutes last year, so your thinking that he is automatically handed PG hardly applies.

Again, I believe Harding will be a really good PG at Iowa. However, to not recognize that Harding is going to face a significant disadvantage, is just closing your eyes to a fact. Look closely at the team picture. Bowen got bullied last year. Now, compare Bowen to Harding in the picture. Harding looks like a typical teenage boy, not an elite athlete. Bowen is probably 3" taller, is now much better built to withstand physicality, has much longer arms, and even much bigger hands. Highest level college BB is very different from HS, as Bowen learned last year. I hope you are right that Harding will be a star day 1, but I will surprised if it doesn't take some time.

Oh, and Ulis was a better player than you and others think.

I know you are a huge Harding and Freeman fan. It is understandable, if you got to watch them play a lot in HS. I think you are being way too negative about Bowen, who I think has some serious talent. I hope we have two young PGs, who are playing both playing well and sharing time at PG, because we will be a much better team. Bowen did NOT get many minutes last year, so your thinking that he is automatically handed PG hardly applies.

Again, I believe Harding will be a really good PG at Iowa. However, to not recognize that Harding is going to face a significant disadvantage, is just closing your eyes to a fact. Look closely at the team picture. Bowen got bullied last year. Now, compare Bowen to Harding in the picture. Harding looks like a typical teenage boy, not an elite athlete. Bowen is probably 3" taller, is now much better built to withstand physicality, has much longer arms, and even much bigger hands. Highest level college BB is very different from HS, as Bowen learned last year. I hope you are right that Harding will be a star day 1, but I will surprised if it doesn't take some time.

Oh, and Ulis was a better player than you and others think.
Yes, I can see why you were so high on Aaron, 3 years at Iowa and in 83 games he averaged 4ppg and 1.5 assists per game and as a senior starter in 26 of 31 games he averaged 6.2ppg and slightly more then 1 assist per game.
Yes, those type of players are why Iowa can't get passed the first week. Good kid just not good enough.

Reactions: shudaddy
Yes, I can see why you were so high on Aaron, 3 years at Iowa and in 83 games he averaged 4ppg and 1.5 assists per game and as a senior starter in 26 of 31 games he averaged 6.2ppg and slightly more then 1 assist per game.
Yes, those type of players are why Iowa can't get passed the first week. Good kid just not good enough.

He was no Amarion Nimmers, that is for sure.

Exactly…that’s what makes it almost cooler/against the grain to NOT have tattoos. 😉

Reactions: Mohawkeye

The attraction to gambling is winning some $$$$. 😜

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT