ADVERTISEMENT

Brock Harding

Back to original reason for the thread, Harding.

In limited playing time, he's shown that he has the capacity to do what a PG should do. That is run the offense and keep the flow going.
Needs a lot of work on his shot and needs some added muscle mass to be a better overall B1G PG. Good news is those things can be improved.

I hate that Fran won't play 3 guards at once. It's a big reason why the defense struggles so much.

I'm tired of ragging on Patrick but my God the difference between what he brings and what Brock brings is just so glaring.
Yes. 3 guard lineups should get a lot of minutes, maybe the majority of minutes depending on matchups.
Harding, Perkins, Dix have limitations but they are all capable. Harding and Dix adding some muscle, Harding improving his shot and requiring all of them to play D(which they can do) would lead to a solid trio.

I think Brock isn't playing a lot with Perkins is because Bowen has been/is injured. Read yesterday that he is shut down for the year. So we would have no PG sub if they both played together. On another note, that video above of the feed to Freeman was unbelievable! He passed it between 3 PSU players. Also give Freeman credit - that pass was near the waist and a bullet, but he handled it well.

just an fyi on minutes last night:

37: Payton
34: Josh
28: Tony
26: Owen
22: Ben
21: PMac
17: Brock
9: Ladji
6: Pryce
200 Total
==========

I cannot for the life of me figure out why Patrick got 21 minutes last night especially the way he was playing. Porous and lost on defense, couldn't make a layup. Turnovers. Fran has daddy blinders.

The way Dix is playing you can't keep him out of the lineup and Perkins is the leader of this team so, you just can't have Brock on the floor unless the 2 foul rule is in effect or late in the game, Iowa is up, and the other team is pressing. Brock is a magician with the ball and has the court vision to keep from losing the ball. I was yelling at my television and Fran to insert Brock late in the game when Penn St started to press, and finally he put him in and Harding settled down Iowa's offense.

Yes, Harding’s biggest issue on D is getting posted up down low but otherwise is quite effective. Is very savvy, anticipates and hustles. Easily one of our better defenders. He will have to add some muscle (is that allowed under Fran?)
It's pretty hard for a guard to post up in college basketball because the spacing usually isn't there.

It happens but it's not something that an opponent is going to be able to do repeatedly.

Yes, Harding’s biggest issue on D is getting posted up down low but otherwise is quite effective. Is very savvy, anticipates and hustles. Easily one of our better defenders. He will have to add some muscle (is that allowed under Fran?)
I wouldn't call him one of our best defenders yet, but he can be very disruptive and he tends to stay in front of his man, which is half the battle. He's never going to be a great one-on-one defender, but I've seen enough to think he's not usually going to be a big weakness either.

The way Dix is playing you can't keep him out of the lineup and Perkins is the leader of this team so, you just can't have Brock on the floor unless the 2 foul rule is in effect or late in the game, Iowa is up, and the other team is pressing. Brock is a magician with the ball and has the court vision to keep from losing the ball. I was yelling at my television and Fran to insert Brock late in the game when Penn St started to press, and finally he put him in and Harding settled down Iowa's offense.
I've been wanting to see the 3 of them play together, Dix and Perkins are both capable of guarding most small forwards. I think they actually did for a little bit last night.

Reactions: NI hawk
his drive and dish to Krikke was almost brilliant, I believe the pass got tipped? Was that his (and only) turnover?

Krikke obvioulsy had a good game vs Illini. PMAC had a couple good games before that. They are B1G scholarship worthy players, but because of their defensive weakness and lack of rebounding, they are the type of players that would both be spending more time on the bench at other schools in B!G....not combined averaging 55+ min per game.

Everytime Krikke or PMAC both have a good game, there is a new Thread about how mischaraterized/unappreciated they are. When they go a combined 2-11 with 4 rebounds ike they did vs PSU while being both 6'9, no chest beating threads. I agree, they are what they are....tailwind when they are making shots, headwind when they are missing because they don't usually play good enough on defense/boards. So Warm/Cold because the lack of defense is always there.
And nearly every time Krikke or PMac have an off game the hyperbole posts appear.

I liked him last night - made a pass that I have never seen an Iowa player make besides Caitlin Clark. Maybe a bit too much dribbling last night, but he adds a different element to the offense.

If you noticed during last nights game against Penn St, Harding when guarding someone that starts to move toward the basket, switches off and stays out on the perimeter. That might be something Iowa is working on to keep Harding from getting pulverized by an opponent with a massive dunk. Might not work every time but I can see the strategy.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I liked him last night - made a pass that I have never seen an Iowa player make besides Caitlin Clark. Maybe a bit too much dribbling last night, but he adds a different element to the offense.
The pass he made (left-handed) to Freeman (I think) under the basket was unreal. It had zip on it too. We haven't had a PG that can make passes like that in a while. I also liked the play where he dribbled himself into trouble in the lane, composed himself, and then threw a short lob over the top for an easy bucket.

The pass he made (left-handed) to Freeman (I think) under the basket was unreal. It had zip on it too. We haven't had a PG that can make passes like that in a while. I also liked the play where he dribbled himself into trouble in the lane, composed himself, and then threw a short lob over the top for an easy bucket.
He just needs playing time to get comfortable on the court, but it's hard to see the court when Perkins and Dix are playing so well. As some have said seeing Tony, Josh, and Brock on the court at the same time would be a hoot.

Looks like to me it is hard for Harding to be a plug-and-play guy on this team because his game is so different. He has a lot of talent and does a lot of good things, but he kind of looks like a fish out of water in Fran's system.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I think the current starting lineup is working pretty well most games. I much prefer that when Patrick enters, Krikke leaves. I like Harding off the bench, but I think he has earned 15-20 min/game, unless an opposing team figures out a match up that would take advantage of his size. So far, I haven't seen that, which honestly surprises me.

Interesting to hear that Bowen is injured, and not just permanently delegated to the bench. I still think he can contribute, but he needs to develop some confidence, which Brock oozes.

I really like the outlook for next year, if Tony comes back and Patrick leaves, opening up playing time for the young players. Dembele is going to get much better IMO, and the incoming freshmen also look really good.

You play Harding in place of Krikke.

I wouldn't call him one of our best defenders yet, but he can be very disruptive and he tends to stay in front of his man, which is half the battle. He's never going to be a great one-on-one defender, but I've seen enough to think he's not usually going to be a big weakness either.
Effort and savvy alone qualify him IMO. Anyway, he still has a lot of work to do but is off to a good start.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Krikke obvioulsy had a good game vs Illini. PMAC had a couple good games before that. They are B1G scholarship worthy players, but because of their defensive weakness and lack of rebounding, they are the type of players that would both be spending more time on the bench at other schools in B!G....not combined averaging 55+ min per game.

Everytime Krikke or PMAC both have a good game, there is a new Thread about how mischaraterized/unappreciated they are. When they go a combined 2-11 with 4 rebounds ike they did vs PSU while being both 6'9, no chest beating threads. I agree, they are what they are....tailwind when they are making shots, headwind when they are missing because they don't usually play good enough on defense/boards. So Warm/Cold because the lack of defense is always there.
PMAC is a great FT shooter, and there are certain matchups where he can use his length to get to the rim…but his 3P% is terrible and against strong/athletic teams he ends up taking really tough shots. He should play less.

Krikke is more versatile but if he is not hitting shots and scoring then should sit.

Looks like to me it is hard for Harding to be a plug-and-play guy on this team because his game is so different. He has a lot of talent and does a lot of good things, but he kind of looks like a fish out of water in Fran's system.
A little bit, like all good pgs he's a ball dominate player and hes not a great shooter so those aren't the best fit for what Fran wants to do.

I think he'll easily be the best pg Fran has had but he'll be more effective if Fran will just spread the floor and let he and Freeman run screen and roll.

A little bit, like all good pgs he's a ball dominate player and hes not a great shooter so those aren't the best fit for what Fran wants to do.

I think he'll easily be the best pg Fran has had but he'll be more effective if Fran will just spread the floor and let he and Freeman run screen and roll.
Harding and Freeman have a great chemistry, and that can become a pivotal part of the offense, with the other guys spotting up to give Harding options. Good spacing, and it will make Freeman very difficult to defend without help defenders.

Reactions: DewHawk
You play Harding in place of Krikke.
I think as others have said, that at certain times I'd like to see Payton, Owen, Tony, Josh, and Brock on the floor at the same time.
Krikke is a major liability on defense and he's only a positive if he scores more then he allows the players he guards to score and his rebounding is hit and miss. It's worth a try at least, doubt Fran would actually try it, but it is intriguing.

Unfortunately, they're out there still saying he's too small for the Big Ten, but then again they don't see the upgrade of the 4 freshman and what they bring to Iowa basketball, only harping on the past. Maybe Fran's best freshman class in his 14 years, but very encouraging as far as I'm concerned.
If Payton and Dix return and the incoming freshman contribute next year, plus any portal player additions, Iowa could have a very special year.
I would think that Iowa States success can only increases the desire by the Iowa staff to upgrade and improve the produce on the court. Only time will tell.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Nice fh

I was very skeptical of Harding going into the season, especially concerning his defense and 3 point shooting. His defense's isn’t terrible and his shooting really came on the second half of the season. His vision, ball handling and passing are off the charts. I think we finally got a true point guard and it gives me a lot of hope for next year.
Well the opposing pg did have a triple double last night. Iowa always switches to zone defense when he's in the game. Not that their man d is any better, but he's the reason they switch to zone.

Well the opposing pg did have a triple double last night. Iowa always switches to zone defense when he's in the game. Not that their man d is any better, but he's the reason they switch to zone.
So you're accusing Brock of allowing Utah's point guard to get a triple double when Brock only played 16.5 minutes of the game, always thought games consisted of 40 minutes. Interesting :rolleyes:Your hatred of Brock is getting old.

Last edited:
Because they have no idea how to rotate or defend a pick and roll. Watch pmac face guard on the weakside shows Fran lockdown defensive strategies.

That’s simply not true, I’ve seen him play a lot of man, including last night. Their guards were killing us well before he came in the game.

Unfortunately, they're out there still saying he's too small for the Big Ten, but then again they don't see the upgrade of the 4 freshman and what they bring to Iowa basketball, only harping on the past. Maybe Fran's best freshman class in his 14 years, but very encouraging as far as I'm concerned.
If Payton and Dix return and the incoming freshman contribute next year, plus any portal player additions, Iowa could have a very special year.
I would think that Iowa States success can only increases the desire by the Iowa staff to upgrade and improve the produce on the court. Only time will tell.
I am not trying to be argumentative, just honest......don't you think that time has told?

Nice fh

I was very skeptical of Harding going into the season, especially concerning his defense and 3 point shooting. His defense's isn’t terrible and his shooting really came on the second half of the season. His vision, ball handling and passing are off the charts. I think we finally got a true point guard and it gives me a lot of hope for next year.

i am really impressed with how quick his feet are; he's not big, but he stays in front of whoever he's guarding

the kid is tough and plays hard; he and Freeman are gonna be fun to watch for 3 more years

i am really impressed with how quick his feet are; he's not big, but he stays in front of whoever he's guarding

the kid is tough and plays hard; he and Freeman are gonna be fun to watch for 3 more years

He plays smart defense, gives great effort and as you noted has quick feet. Not too shabby!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT