ADVERTISEMENT

C.J. Beathard has been told to tone down the risk-taking at QB.

Yeah, I'll never understand why Ferentz stayed with Weisman at RB. They needed him as a stopgap when multiple injuries depleted the depth chart but they should have moved him back to FB his junior year. That will go down as one of his biggest mistakes IMO.

Reactions: unIowa and And1Hawk
Yeah, I'll never understand why Ferentz stayed with Weisman at RB. They needed him as a stopgap when multiple injuries depleted the depth chart but they should have moved him back to FB his junior year. That will go down as one of his biggest mistakes IMO.

Completely agree. There is no reason they couldn't have left him as a short yardage back paired with someone who could beat LB's to the edge.

Bullock was an awful back as well. Had OK hands and blocking but worst vision and quickness in the KF era.

FWIW, I think you have to stretch the field and keep the opponent from loading up the box. If that means a turnover or two per game, well, "that's football". If you don't loosen the defense and have a few 3 and outs, that's still losing possession of the ball.

This is my persuasion as well. ^^ You certainly don't want your quarterback to just wildly chuck the ball into coverage on the hope of an occasional big play, etc, but if you take the opposite extreme and take the sack too often or throw the ball away, etc, then defenses will adjust and choke the field down even more. Gamesmanship involves keeping your opponents off balance to some degree. Not just lining up and running things robotically and overly predictably.

Balance is the key and I wouldn't put too much stock into the press day comments from anyone. The first casualty of war is the truth...so let's hope CJ is toeing the company line and throwing out some disinformation, etc. Now then, if this season unfolds and he is clearly holding the ball or dumping it off prematurely, etc, then that would be pretty disappointing...not exactly shocking...but pretty discouraging.

Reactions: Cougar63
Lucky for Bielema he actually had Tailbacks at the Tailback position. That has to help........................

And offensive linemen, and a scheme that plays to his teams strengths and incorporates allot more misdirection.

Ferentz wants to be the 90s broncos or nothing.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-turnover-margin-per-game
Keep in mind that you want to be negative on this one. Oregon is at the top - the same Oregon that's known for jacking up scores.

That's cool, you guys want more turnovers, have all the turnovers in the world. I'll take Stanzi's orange bowl season over the last season with Shonn Greene any day.

If you are saying that Stanzi throwing the ball down field is why that team was good, then you are mistaken. I really liked Stanzi and his leadership was irreplaceable; but that team was good because of the defense. And if you have been paying attention, a great defense/special teams has always been the primary reason for Hawkeye success.

Reactions: sloehawk
If you are saying that Stanzi throwing the ball down field is why that team was good, then you are mistaken. I really liked Stanzi and his leadership was irreplaceable; but that team was good because of the defense. And if you have been paying attention, a great defense/special teams has always been the primary reason for Hawkeye success.
I agree which is why we should strip Kirk of his wins and give them to Norm. Then we can pack Kirks bags and move on to a real coach such as Bielema.

Reactions: sloehawk
I feel bad when it's constantly punted to midfield as well, after that nice job of hanging onto the ball for a nice 3 and out....................
I didn't say hang on to the ball, I said don't force the ball. There's a big difference. Rudock either didn't make his reads properly or made his reads too quick and missed big play opportunities. Yeah, I'm still salty about the wide open WR in the Nebraska game last year. I think CJ is going to excel in this regard. I just don't want him to miss an open 15 yard route that is wide open for the forty yard route that's double covered.

I don't get how people think those are mutually exclusive.

Factor in that KF went on fourth down in 2014 more than any time in his career. Baby steps for KF. Let's hope he can take some normal steps to advance the offence.
Agreed, it has been a work in progress. I just want to see more direct vertical passing. It was painfully obvious to fans, and even the announcers and commentators at our games that the defensive scheme on the other team rarely worried about what was going on downfield.

It was mentioned entirely too many times during our games.

Doodle, that's a good post that is well-reasoned, but my question would be "hasn't that always been the case?" Phrased differently, why does CJ feel a need to comment to the press about that?

FWIW, I think you have to stretch the field and keep the opponent from loading up the box. If that means a turnover or two per game, well, "that's football". If you don't loosen the defense and have a few 3 and outs, that's still losing possession of the ball.

That's the point old buddy. The philosophy has been the same since day 1. But each QB embraces the tent poles of that philosophy to varying degrees. Perhaps CJ was one of those guys who, up until recently, had trouble with the distinction between "chance" and "risk" in the KF glossary.

And as to why he mentioned it to the media....maybe CJ is taking the opportunity to add a little bit of color and explanation on how he ultimately was able to supplant a 2-year starter, despite not being overwhelmingly statistically superior (albeit in a much smaller sample size).

Yup. Nothing to get excited about. Hope he can turn that around.
His consistency in being the actual starter, and practicing with the number ones will help with that. Whether the line gives him enough time to get the ball out on time is a question.

I didn't say hang on to the ball, I said don't force the ball. There's a big difference. Rudock either didn't make his reads properly or made his reads too quick and missed big play opportunities. Yeah, I'm still salty about the wide open WR in the Nebraska game last year. I think CJ is going to excel in this regard. I just don't want him to miss an open 15 yard route that is wide open for the forty yard route that's double covered.

I don't get how people think those are mutually exclusive.

No one is saying they are. But, we are leery of hearing about focusing to much on ball security because in the past we have seen it come at the cost of hitting open receivers.

I don't think that's what Ferentz want's either, because he did replace Jake, but like Ive said, we've seen it before.

You are going to have some interceptions if you are going to attack downfield.

Last edited:
So basically the team is trying to cut down on turnovers and force more turnovers and this is somehow a bad thing??? I am pretty sure every coach in the country teaches that. Make smart decisions to take care of the ball!!! oh my god the horror!! they must be telling him to never throw the ball

Reactions: HawkRugged17
So basically the team is trying to cut down on turnovers and force more turnovers and this is somehow a bad thing??? I am pretty sure every coach in the country teaches that. Make smart decisions to take care of the ball!!! oh my god the horror!! they must be telling him to never throw the ball

Of course it's not that way. The fan base is pissed because Iowa's offense is horribly unexciting and vanilla, and now we have a QB in charge that has shown he's not a check-down machine... but then in the fall practices, a media source has this same QB mentioning how he is trying to cut down on taking risks. There's no other conclusion to have but the staff is trying to tame CJ in some way.

No one is saying they are. But, we are leery of hearing about focusing to much on ball security because in the past we have seen it come at the cost of hitting open receivers.

I don't think that's what Ferentz want's either, because he did replace Jake, but like Ive said, we've seen it before.

The point that I am making, and you'll see this if you read my posts in this thread, is not that he's asking CJ not to be perfect, but to limit turnovers, and not to force the ball. I agree that there will be interceptions if you attack downfield, I also agree that we have in the past seen quarterbacks opt for the dump off (again, still salty about that wide open receiver in the Nebraska game). Ferentz isn't telling him to stop throwing downfield, he's telling him to stop throwing downfield just to throw downfield.

If Ferentz was happy with how Rudock handled himself, and the dump off passes, he'd still be quarterback. CJ is going to throw the ball downfield more, and I can not be more ecstatic to see big plays again. If I see another dump off pass for three yards when Tevaun Smith has a step on a linebacker, or has beaten the safety, I'll go ballistic with the rest of you. That is not what this is saying to do.

Of course it's not that way. The fan base is pissed because Iowa's offense is horribly unexciting and vanilla, and now we have a QB in charge that has shown he's not a check-down machine... but then in the fall practices, a media source has this same QB mentioning how he is trying to cut down on taking risks. There's no other conclusion to have but the staff is trying to tame CJ in some way.

Oh man.

I didn't need to read anything to know this. Heck I posted as much in the Moorehouse thread. Kirk turns qb's into robots. I can't wait for him to get out of town.

C'mon, you guys are misinterpreting the context here. Don't force throws into double and triple coverage. Don't make stupid decisions. Try to allow your legs to buy you time to throw to an open wr instead of trying to throw it into a very small opening. It's ok to hit the 10 yard out open man instead of forcing the 40 yard bomb. It's ok to hit the rb in the flat when he has no one there within 15 yards of him. The purpose is to sustain drives and get first downs which lead to td's. Those are words and suggestions every qb should live by. CJ is not Aaron Rodgers and we aren't a good enough team to handle consistent turn overs. Throwing down field is not taking chances. Throwing down field into double coverage, however, is not taking a wise calculated risk.

Not sure about the rest, but the first part is very accurate. The offense is boring, and vanilla. There is no denying that.
What's worse is it's just plain bad. Wisconsin's offense is as boring as they come but they score points and win games. I'd settle for boring and vanilla if it led to Iowa TD's and Iowa wins. Unfortunately we aren't getting enough of either right now.

We don't even do basic crap like clear out a side of the field and throw a swing pass to a back to get one on one coverage vs a linebacker. We are going to " tight end your ass to death". Frustrating

Reactions: MadDogC
I didn't need to read anything to know this. Heck I posted as much in the Moorehouse thread. Kirk turns qb's into robots. I can't wait for him to get out of town.
Drew tate? Not a robot
Brad Banks? Not a robot
Ricky Stanzi? Not a robot
CJ Beathard? Not a robot.

That should be 3 QBS in the KF era that will be multi year starters and are/were athletic play makers.

I get it. But way too much over reaction on the anti KF crap

1. Rudock wasn't missing open receivers because he was trying to avoid turning the ball over. He just wasn't seeing the field. If they are open it's not a risk.

2. Attacking downfield doesn't mean you are going to have interceptions.

Reactions: Cougar63
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT