ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark Arena

15 National Championships in 20 years and made Iowa wrestling relevant.. I can’t argue with that.
CC, Gable, Kinnick are certainly in my Mt Rushmore.
Can't argue with the results or his place in Iowa history but did he wrestle at Iowa or just coach? So I don't know if best athlete fits. An argument for most important Iowa sports figure can definitely be made though.

We are so lucky to be able to watch her play for Iowa. I don't believe we've ever had an athlete quite like her. A generational or historical talent.
And it is not only her bball skills shooting, dribbling, passing but also her mental aspects of seeing the motion of all the players and seeing creases to make amazing passes to assist her teammates, weaving around with the ball to bend the defense can create driving lanes, and the push ahead mentality and touch to drop in those passes is a 3D aspect of the court.

Shit, it's not just the boys, I have one C.C. shirt that I wear regularly, which, for me is tough because I'm one of those people that thinks it's really odd for a grown man to wear kids numbers/jerseys playing sports. They're not my idols by any means. I own plenty of Iowa gear but I don't own any other Iowa single player attire from any other sport men or women.

Suffice it to say, C.C. is the one exception, probably ever, and I wear it unabashedly because she's just that freaking good! It's like art with her because she's just on a different playing field every time she's on the court, just like Jordan was. We'll never have another quite like her. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I think it is much more than her being a great BB player.....she is a star as a person. 5 star. She is respectful, engaging, caring, etc. And selfishly speaking as an Iowan and an Iowa grad, she is OURS!!

She’s the best athlete ever at Iowa men or women.
That is debatable. She's tremendous,but there are other athletes such as Ronnie Lester,Chuck Long that are up there. Although barring injury she will likely have a HOF WBB career. If the FB idiots that run the offense could figure out how to use Cooper,he could be in the conversation.
I think it is much more than her being a great BB player.....she is a star as a person. 5 star. She is respectful, engaging, caring, etc. And selfishly speaking as an Iowan and an Iowa grad, she is OURS!!
Yeah, its very impressive how she handles the star role that she deserves. She is the total package. She will be a boon for the Pro WBB. The Michael Jordan of WBB.

Think we paid about $135 a pop from Ticketmaster when they first went on sale for a row of 6 down low in the corner, sounds like catty corner from the previous poster. Great seats about 5 rows from courtside. It was an awesome environment. Tons of Hawk fans (no surprise) and then if I had to guess several Virginia communities bussed school kids down to help upper deck get about half full. Fans of both schools in my section were in awe of Clark - genuine respect all around.

Basically the perfect environment to take our young kids to their first Hawks BB game, especially our daughter.
Not sure if you came in for the game or live down around here, but Charlotte is absolutely full of Virginia Tech grads. I was not at all surprised at their turnout for the game, but the Hawk fans represented well and we made a lot of noise.

Think we paid about $135 a pop from Ticketmaster when they first went on sale for a row of 6 down low in the corner, sounds like catty corner from the previous poster. Great seats about 5 rows from courtside. It was an awesome environment. Tons of Hawk fans (no surprise) and then if I had to guess several Virginia communities bussed school kids down to help upper deck get about half full. Fans of both schools in my section were in awe of Clark - genuine respect all around.

Basically the perfect environment to take our young kids to their first Hawks BB game, especially our daughter.

From the box score:

Attendance (tickets distributed): 15,196

CAPACITY: 19,077

Yesterday's Wall St. Journal had yet another article on the CC phenomon.
They looked at the economic impact she is having nation-wide on ticket sales and audience numbers that translate to media rights revenue.
Simply said: she is the Taylor Swift of women's sports.
I wondered about her response to the question about " Clarkonomics" in the post- game interview.
She cryptically indicated that she had a lot of thoughts on that topic.
Wonder if she is realizing that many people are capitalizing on her fame and she is actually getting short-changed?
She wisely chose not to elaborate...smart gal.

And it is not only her bball skills shooting, dribbling, passing but also her mental aspects of seeing the motion of all the players and seeing creases to make amazing passes to assist her teammates, weaving around with the ball to bend the defense can create driving lanes, and the push ahead mentality and touch to drop in those passes is a 3D aspect of the court.

The box score says we missed 14 layups (20-34).

CC ended up with 6 assists. Iowa scored 80 points. Both figures could have been a lot more.

But it's just the 2nd game....

CC played all 40 minutes. Incredible.

CC ended up with 6 assists. Iowa scored 80 points. Both figures could have been a lot more.

Missing layups is usually not getting your body collected, therefore not going up as strong, and I have heard/read bball coaches say also not keeping your head and eyes up but instead lowering the vision. Thanks for the stats

Those are a lot of missed baskets but getting to the rim that much is great. Fixing them is just runnning drills with a defender there and then taking it to 5 on 5s

We are so lucky to be able to watch her play for Iowa. I don't believe we've ever had an athlete quite like her. A generational or historical talent.
It goes against the grain for sure as we all know we usually play the bridesmaid card better than anyone.
Lucky to have seen her play. Hope she sticks around for her COVID year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I call BS on LSU being the main draw.
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

Missing layups is usually not getting your body collected, therefore not going up as strong, and I have heard/read bball coaches say also not keeping your head and eyes up but instead lowering the vision. Thanks for the stats

Those are a lot of missed baskets but getting to the rim that much is great. Fixing them is just runnning drills with a defender there and then taking it to 5 on 5s

I think missing all of those layups and still scoring 80 points is a great sign of what's to come.

Another good sign? We outrebounded VT 47-40.

It goes against the grain for sure as we all know we usually play the bridesmaid card better than anyone.
Is there any way she makes as much in the WNBA as she does with NIL at Iowa?

I missed the first 25 minutes, alltofer getting a ton of boards, why did O'Grady iirc not play? Feuerbach brought a lot of energy and hustle which is good to have back,

Any other thoughts?

I was wondering about that.
If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, my initial thought is she sticks around another year. I mean why not?
She's loving the college life on and off the court and has a chance to solidify her place as the greatest ever to do it. WNBA can wait another year but the college experience is unmatched IMO. Hope she agrees.

she has a great poker face and it's hard to tell which way she is leaning. The core of last year's team will be gone after this season. Will she want to stick around for one more year or is she ready for the next challenge, which is the WNBA? We'll find out in a few months.

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, my initial thought is she sticks around another year. I mean why not?
She's loving the college life on and off the court and has a chance to solidify her place as the greatest ever to do it. WNBA can wait another year but the college experience is unmatched IMO. Hope she agrees.
She must be making over $1m. Will she have the same marketing appeal in the WNBA? Probably, but I can’t really name more than a couple of WNBA players, so I don’t have a good feel in that.

I am not going to speculate what Caitlin is going to do and how much she makes now vs what she would make in the WNBA. Alternatively, I am going with what Caitlin recently stated in a Dan Patrick interview.

Q: Would you be taking a pay cut by heading to the WNBA?

“Not necessarily. I think that’s what gets lost sometimes. I think people don’t understand. NIL is still kind of a thing when you get into pro sports, too. You still have all those endorsements. You still have sponsorships and whatnot, so you’re basically just a professional athlete with that on top of it, too. So, it’s not really something that I would factor into my decision of staying or going too much.”

Caitlin, on how important the WNBA is to her:

“Very important. That’s where I want to be, but I have another year here and possibly one more after that just because of COVID, so probably will have to make a decision on that sometime next year. I really have no clue of what I’m going to do. Stay for an extra year or leave after next year, but I love watching the WNBA.

“I remember really vividly my dad taking me to my first ever WNBA game. Maya Moore was my favorite player growing up. She played for the Minnesota Lynx, so it was pretty convenient. That was only a four hour trip from where I grew up, and I really remember getting to watch her versus Sue Bird and the Seattle Storm. That was like my first ever experience with the WNBA when I was really young.”

Reactions: Tenacious E
I missed the first 25 minutes, alltofer getting a ton of boards, why did O'Grady iirc not play? Feuerbach brought a lot of energy and hustle which is good to have back,

Any other thoughts?

not sure about O'Grady's status; a lot of people were wondering why she wasn't playing

Whenever I hear her interviewed I’m like oh yeah, there is a future coach.
Our future coach perhaps!? Iowa WBB has a great future ahead. How many players would've loved to be coached by Jordan? The name alone would draw attention and get recruits. She could be that mega star Iowa can and will sell to recruits over the next two decades. I bet it pays off. How lucky we are that she decided to stay home.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I am not going to speculate what Caitlin is going to do and how much she makes now vs what she would make in the WNBA. Alternatively, I am going with what Caitlin recently stated in a Dan Patrick interview.

Q: Would you be taking a pay cut by heading to the WNBA?

“Not necessarily. I think that’s what gets lost sometimes. I think people don’t understand. NIL is still kind of a thing when you get into pro sports, too. You still have all those endorsements. You still have sponsorships and whatnot, so you’re basically just a professional athlete with that on top of it, too. So, it’s not really something that I would factor into my decision of staying or going too much.”

Caitlin, on how important the WNBA is to her:

“Very important. That’s where I want to be, but I have another year here and possibly one more after that just because of COVID, so probably will have to make a decision on that sometime next year. I really have no clue of what I’m going to do. Stay for an extra year or leave after next year, but I love watching the WNBA.

“I remember really vividly my dad taking me to my first ever WNBA game. Maya Moore was my favorite player growing up. She played for the Minnesota Lynx, so it was pretty convenient. That was only a four hour trip from where I grew up, and I really remember getting to watch her versus Sue Bird and the Seattle Storm. That was like my first ever experience with the WNBA when I was really young.”

Maybe it would just be as simple as loving college and making sure the program is in the best spot possibly when she leaves. It really looks like she loves Lisa Bluder and this coaching staff. I could easily see her being that ambassador as much as possible before she leaves.

Has there ever been a female athlete that little boys have looked up to this much? I don’t this so…
Really. Little boys don't choose their clothes. The question should be has there ever been a female athlete that mothers admire and put their sons in her jersey. Little boys wouldn't even know she existed without their mother, the national hype machine and ESPN trying to promote women's sports because they've lost all the big sports contracts.
When she's gone. Iowa's women's basketball team will be forgotten again.

My guess if we win the NT she goes - might as well go out on top. If not . . . Much tougher decision.

Iowa missed A LOT of gimmes, and a lot of 3s early on. Hopefully that gets ironed out.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Our future coach perhaps!? Iowa WBB has a great future ahead. How many players would've loved to be coached by Jordan? The name alone would draw attention and get recruits. She could be that mega star Iowa can and will sell to recruits over the next two decades. I bet it pays off. How lucky we are that she decided to stay home.
i hear you but open people that driven find it hard to coach people. They have a hard time with mediocre effort.

Iowa basketball star Caitlin Clark played in Charlotte for the first time Thursday night, and in one way the Queen City had never seen anyone quite like her. In another, it certainly had. Clark surpassed the hype Thursday, scoring 44 points as her No. 3 Iowa team edged No. 8 Virginia Tech, 80-76, in a rollicking women’s college basketball game at Spectrum Center.

The newly-minted Ally Tipoff drew 15,196 fans, which organizers said ranked as the highest attendance for any women’s college basketball game played in North Carolina.

Many of them came to see Clark, and wow, did they get a full dose of that. Clark played all 40 minutes, scored 55% of her team’s points and needed every bit of it to win.

I said in one way the Queen City had never seen anything like Clark, but in another way it certainly has. That person grew up in Charlotte, in fact, and his name is Steph Curry.

Clark to women’s basketball is what Steph Curry is to the men’s game — a transcendent superstar who has stretched the boundaries of what is possible on a court.

To draw 15,000-plus fans on a Thursday night in November to a women’s college basketball game in Charlotte, with no team from the Carolinas in the contest and with the Panthers playing a nationally televised game in Chicago at the same time?

That’s remarkable, and a testament to the drawing power of Clark. Curry was the same way when he played at Davidson — people like LeBron James would randomly show up at his games, just wanting to get a glimpse of the circus.

Virginia Tech had a serious fan base at this game as well, and the Hokies outnumbered Iowa fans altogether. But the arena exploded in some way every time Clark did something, which was about once every 20 seconds. She’s every bit as talented as what you see on TV, but what is far more apparent in person is how darn hard she works to do it.

Clark’s 3-point shooting was pedestrian by her “reigning college player of the year” standards Thursday — she was 5-for-16 from beyond the arc. But she got to 44 points anyway — and added eight rebounds and six assists — by repeatedly driving into the paint through contact. She drew 16 fouls in the game, and got knocked to the ground numerous times by a tough Virginia Tech team that made the women’s Final Four for the first time last season and is a threat to do it again.

Still, she wasn’t overjoyed with how she played.

“We’ll shoot the ball better,” Clark said afterward, adding that most of the game felt a little “choppy.”

To Virginia Tech, though, Clark was otherworldly.

“Sometimes you’re playing checkers and she’s playing chess,” Virginia Tech coach Kenny Brooks said.

“She’s been gifted by every single god you can imagine,” Virginia Tech point guard Georgia Amoore said.

With Clark doubling her No. 22 uniform number in points and Virginia Tech staying with Iowa nearly every step of the way, the game delivered as promised.

The crowd, incidentally, was about 900 fans more than the Charlotte Hornets drew the night before, when the Hornets lost a home game against Washington and had 14,267 in attendance.

Credit also goes to the Charlotte Sports Foundation, which created this game out of thin air in the spring after Clark had dazzled the NCAA tournament on the way to Iowa’s berth in the finals (and loss to LSU).

Danny Morrison and his staff at the CSF lured Iowa first, with the promise of a $150,000 guarantee to play the game and an additional $50,000 to pay for the team’s travel. Then Morrison and his team had to find an opponent — Dawn Staley’s dynasty at South Carolina would have been ideal but already had an early-season date in France.

Virginia Tech said it would gladly come and got a $150,000 guarantee, too, which is big money in women’s college athletics and provided both teams with an early-season showcase that was broadcast by ESPN2.

Amoore, a 5-6 dynamo for Virginia Tech, matched Clark shot for shot for much of the game and ended up with 31 points. Amoore, in fact, hit the game’s longest three-pointer — a 50-footer from just before the halfcourt line at the first-quarter buzzer.

“To be put in a spotlight in an NBA arena with a great opponent, that’s just what you dream of,” Amoore said.

“We went to the Final Four last year and this atmosphere rivals it,” Brooks added. “It was electric. ... It was like a dream come true. We’re disappointed as hell losing the game, but it was a fantastic game.”

That it was, with Clark’s 44 ending up just two points off her career high of 46 points, going 13-for-31 from the field and 13-of-17 from the free-throw line. She could have had 50, pretty easily.

“A lot of mine felt like they were going in,” Clark said.

That’s the sort of night Steph Curry still sometimes has — he scores 44 points and somehow it didn’t even seem like he shot that well. The great ones can do that, because they can score in so many ways. Clark did it Thursday, and the raucous crowd made it all the better.

Said Clark: “It’s very hard to wrap my head around the environments we get to play in… It’s incredible honestly.”

And it was incredible, for a sport on the rise and the superstar helping to lift it even higher.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article281466153.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
That is debatable. She's tremendous,but there are other athletes such as Ronnie Lester,Chuck Long that are up there. Although barring injury she will likely have a HOF WBB career. If the FB idiots that run the offense could figure out how to use Cooper,he could be in the conversation.

Yeah, its very impressive how she handles the star role that she deserves. She is the total package. She will be a boon for the Pro WBB. The Michael Jordan of WBB.
Really. How exactly did Chuck Long change his sport and stand at a level never seen before??? He had ONE really good year, with probably the best array of talent total team wise thats EVER been on one Iowa roster. We had THREE big games that year, and he (the team) lost two of the three. The one win, against Michigan we won because of our field goal kicker scoring all 12 points. What Clark is doing has NEVER been done on the womens, and to some degree the mens game. Most 40 point games against top 10 ranked teams, CC 4, everyone else in history ZERO. And that has happened in THREE of her last FOUR games against top 10 teams. (What have you done for me lately)? Has basically led the nation on points and assists the last three years, and that had NEVER been done before even ONCE. The biggest difference with Clark and anyone else you could throw out there including Long, is when the lights are the brightest, and the stage the biggest, THAT is when she puts on her cape, and really elevates her game.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT