ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Caitlin Clark declares for the 2024 WNBA Draft

So what, she may not be there either.

That program looks like women's programs from 20 years ago when women's basketball was an afterthought.
I’m just saying Iowa post CC22 will be taking a few beatings with no mercy by opposing teams after the beat downs Iowa has been giving out these last few years. I.e, I’m going to miss watching CC22 make opposing teams look bad so will miss this high level of play.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I just don't understand people saying this. Its totally inaccurate. Right now ALL of her income is from the corporations that have signed her. State Farm, Nike, Bose, HR Block, Buick, Hyvee, etc..
The WNBA doesn't have the "hoopla" that college basketball does. Interest takes a big hit and so does sponsorship as a result. The Fever crowds will surge for a little while and then dwindle back down once the initial thrill is gone although higher than what they were but nothing like the Clark Crazies in college arenas.

The WNBA doesn't have the "hoopla" that college basketball does. Interest takes a big hit and so does sponsorship as a result. The Fever crowds will surge for a little while and then dwindle back down once the initial thrill is gone although higher than what they were but nothing like the Clark Crazies in college arenas.
I agree with your summary for the most part. I have zero interest in the WNBA (nor NBA) other than watching clips of Iowa players.

Former Hoosier Grace Berger is on the Fever and she’s not a Clark fan. Interested to see how the team dynamics play out.

I’m worried that a few teams are keeping receipts after she leaves. The Minny coach was none too happy after the game last night. Not a word to Bluder or CC22, just shaking their hands and got the heck outta there after that 48 point beat down.
Then teams like Minnesota and Rutgers, typical bottom feeders, need to play like they deserve to be in the B1G.

Minnesota's coach needs to look in the mirror.

They will be underrated and over achieve.
Well, Fuerbach, McCabe, Hannah at forward sinking treys, a new center which might be the new recruit, Affolter.

I dont know about you but I think they can be a pretty good starting five. I like the way Fuerbach is shooting now, she is quick and plays pretty good defense, abd runs the floor well, and seems to handle the ball decently. McCabe can score, Affolter will take Kate Martin's spot as enforcer, haha, and do well. Hannah is very good.

Dont we have a highly rated center coming in at about 6' 4" so start her if she is the best we have.

I don’t think it’s the wrong decision but I think college basketball has significantly more appeal to casual fans than the WNBA. I’ve watched more women’s college basketball games in the past month than I have my entire life.

I sincerely think she would do more for the sport being in college one more year. I don’t see myself tuning into the WNBA, even with Clark. I feel like many will be the same, but I hope I’m wrong.
This. I can't put an exact explanation on it (fewer teams in WNBA, second class to parent nba team, don't know) but I feel like Clark's star will fade a bit in the WNBA, through no fault of her own.

That and waiting on Till/Kittle offspring to be players at Iowa.

Regarding CC22, figured it would happen with her going to the WNBA but hoped she’d come back and use some of her NIL to pull in a couple players to make a run for the B1G and NCAA titles.

I think that NIL and getting highend players deal wasn’t near as easy as our fans thiught it would be.

But not every “super star” wants to go play in college with someone who is an even bigger star than them…🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
Crazy to think what the atmosphere at CHA will be like. Camelot lost?

It's gonna be a big adjustment, to say the least.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
I think that NIL and getting highend players deal wasn’t near as easy as our fans thiught it would be.

But not every “super star” wants to go play in college with someone who is an even bigger star than them…🤷‍♂️
I’d think a few of them would want to get paid while also winning a natty while getying fines from CC22. She would lift player profiles by being an assist machine first, scorer second.

The right decision. A athlete like Caitlin needs to be at the highest level of competition. Nothing more to prove at this level except an NCAA championship and that honestly requires a more complete team than Iowa.

It‘s been amazing to watch her.

I just don't understand people saying this. Its totally inaccurate. Right now ALL of her income is from the corporations that have signed her. State Farm, Nike, Bose, HR Block, Buick, Hyvee, etc.. Please enlighten us on which of these companies would be stupid enough to drop her. AGAIN this only matters for the next year! After that she'd be gone anyway. They aren't going to drop her without seeing what happens when she hits the league. It AINT happening. Now MAYBE in a couple of years ,but I still think Nike, and State Farm will ride this out for awhile and see what she does to move the needle in the W. Thats where ALL of her income is now. AGAIN thats not going anywhere. Then she'll have her WNBA salary, so HOW is she going to take a pay cut over the next year? Also as I've brought up several times she signed this summer with Excel management who are agents for many of the top NBA players. Is it really your contention that a power broker agent would sign Clark and then not use their considerable power to move the needle with her? Do you not think they will find ways for her to get PAID $$$ in some form or fashion regardless of the WNBA salary structure?
It all depends how much national exposure she'll get playing for the, ummmm whatever Indiana's WNBA team is. At Iowa she plays on national TV nearly every game. That's a big deal to companies like Nike, State Farm, Bose, etc. I don't know that she'll lose any money by turning pro, but she probably would have made more by hanging around another year.

That said, good for her. She's got nothing left to prove by playing another year in college, and like others have said, it would have clouded her records.

I haven't watched WNBA since my team folded. Really looking forward to it. Go Fever! Hope they give her #22.

I don’t think it’s the wrong decision but I think college basketball has significantly more appeal to casual fans than the WNBA. I’ve watched more women’s college basketball games in the past month than I have my entire life.

I sincerely think she would do more for the sport being in college one more year. I don’t see myself tuning into the WNBA, even with Clark. I feel like many will be the same, but I hope I’m wrong.
She's great for the game. I agree for you. I have never watched an WNBA game. Maybe catch one when Clark is on.

At least Iowa WBB won't be subsidizing all the other conference teams in away games.

Looking at you Nebby, Minnesota, and the like.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT