ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Caitlin Clark declares for the 2024 WNBA Draft

They can’t make layups with her literally gifting them now. You’re delusional.

LOLOLOLOL

This year's team is shooting 61% for two, and that is excluding Clark's stats (who is hitting "only" 58% of her two pointers). Yet a small part of the internet fanbase has themselves convinced that the rest of the team can't shoot. LOLOL

LOLOLOLOL

This year's team is shooting 61% for two, and that is excluding Clark's stats (who is hitting "only" 58% of her two pointers). Yet a small part of the internet fanbase has themselves convinced that the rest of the team can't shoot. LOLOL
I’ve watched. They miss a ton LOLOLO

This feels like a good decision. She's done everything in college. She would probably be criticized for hanging in college for another year - the haters would be doin' the hatin' thing.

Assuming she goes to Indiana, that's a good landing spot. If she's serious about CMac, he's already there. It's in the Midwest so she'll fit in. It's a place her parents can still she her play. And Aliyah Boston is there - they will make a pretty good tandem.

Go get 'em CC!
Good point about CM. I hadn't thought of that. And, if it is all good with the two of them, then I'd suspect she'd get a ton of support there.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Not worried at all. I don't think they like each other.

They were fierce competitors in college. I'm pretty sure if if Berger is there next year, she will be very happy to receive some awesome passes for layups. Kelsey Mitchell is also there, #3 all time in women's NCAA scoring.

Reactions: ichawk24
I’d think a few of them would want to get paid while also winning a natty while getying fines from CC22. She would lift player profiles by being an assist machine first, scorer second.

Well, I originally thought people would be lining up to play with her. But in hindsight. Along with some of the vitriol, I didn’t take into account the jealousy factor.

good choice

I think another year could tarnish some of the records she broke
I agree. The Covid year idea should have just voided one seasons stats for 5 year Covid players. Dropping the season with the least minutes played or something . But kind of hard to please everyone.

Hopefully the squad can make the most of this excellent group this year.

Some of you guys must have just started watching Iowa women’s bball. And that’s fine but youve missed out on a lot over the years. Going way back to the C Vivian days there were games when we drew 10K if I remember right. Now there might have been free tickets and such but I’m going to guess we’ve been the leader in women’s attendance in the B1G long before CC. Obviously we won’t be selling out visitor arenas for awhile but if you think we’re going to suck as long as Bluder is here you’re crazy. We made the elite 8 with Gustafson.

Nothing left to prove for the GOAT.

This Sunday will be just her 130th career game at Iowa.

The National Championship game, should Iowa get there, would be game #139, which is the number of games Lynette Woodard (former "big school" scoring record holder) and Kelsey Plum (former NCAA scoring record holder) played.

Milestones, with up to 10 more games in her career:

(1) 18 pts needed to top the Men's NCAA scoring record of 3,667 (Pete Maravich, LSU; 1968-1970; 83 GP; 44.2 ppg).
-----> Looks like she needs roughly 1 more game to do it (32 ppg x 1 game = 32), which would occur on Sun March 3rd in Iowa City vs Ohio State (Senior Day).

(2) On Wed Feb 28, 2024, in a 108-60 win at Minnesota, in just her 129th game, Caitlin broke the AIAW/"Big School" career scoring record. The previous record was 3,649 points (Lynette Woodard, Kansas University; the AIAW was pre-NCAA; she played from 1978-1981; 139 Games Played; 26.3 ppg).

(3) On Thurs. Feb 15, 2024, in 106-89 home win over Michigan, in just her 126th game, Caitlin broke the NCAA career scoring record. The previous record was 3,527 points (Kelsey Plum, University of Washington; 2014-2017; 139 Games Played; 25.4 ppg).

(4) On Jan 31, 2024, in a 110-74 win at Northwestern, in just her 122nd game, Caitlin set the Big Ten Career Scoring Record. The previous record was 3,402 points (Kelsey Mitchell, Ohio State; 2015-2018; 139 Games Played; 24.5 ppg).

(5)
On Nov 12, 2023, in a 94-53 win at UNI, in just her 103rd game, Caitlin became Iowa's All Time Leading Scorer. The previous record was 2,804 points (Megan Gustafson; 2015-2019; 135 Games Played; 20.8 ppg).

Reactions: oldhawk56
I’m worried that a few teams are keeping receipts after she leaves. The Minny coach was none too happy after the game last night. Not a word to Bluder or CC22, just shaking their hands and got the heck outta there after that 48 point beat down.
That's a one-year problem, if even that. Bluder has good recruits coming in, and there was a good level of success before Clark

The WNBA doesn't have the "hoopla" that college basketball does. Interest takes a big hit and so does sponsorship as a result. The Fever crowds will surge for a little while and then dwindle back down once the initial thrill is gone although higher than what they were but nothing like the Clark Crazies in college arenas.
I'm not arguing that at all. BUT, are you really saying that ANY of those companies are going to drop her in the next several months? Really? Without seeing where this goes. Do you really think Nike is going to drop her? Or State Farm?They could be at the forefront of a new generational movement for women in sports and you think in the next 12 months, they're going to pull the plug on Clark? Not a chance in Hell. Just the opposite would be my guess. I'd bet that talks have already been in the works between Excel and the Fever to assure Clark is the #1 pick on the April 15th draft. Further, I'd bet that her agents are already working on new opportunities with local car dealer, and other businesses for commercial deals. You'll see new State Farm commercials with Clark in a Fever uniform, (after the 15th). I could see a new line of Clark gear from Nike, (ex: Air Jordan type stuff), and her own shoe. The Logo 3 or The Facillitator! This has just begun folks. Now I don't have a crystal ball, but for people to think that she'll LOSE money in the next year, (which by then she'd be in the league anyway) is ridiculous.

It all depends how much national exposure she'll get playing for the, ummmm whatever Indiana's WNBA team is. At Iowa she plays on national TV nearly every game. That's a big deal to companies like Nike, State Farm, Bose, etc. I don't know that she'll lose any money by turning pro, but she probably would have made more by hanging around another year.

That said, good for her. She's got nothing left to prove by playing another year in college, and like others have said, it would have clouded her records.
Okay, BUT will those companies risk pulling away before they see where this goes, and possibly miss out on something really big. I think our group here is 98% guys. I'd also say that most don't have a really good idea just how much women influence sales in this country, or what being the company thats stands behind CC IF she really does "move the needle" for the WNBA would mean in the future.

Reactions: littlez
Then teams like Minnesota and Rutgers, typical bottom feeders, need to play like they deserve to be in the B1G.

Minnesota's coach needs to look in the mirror.
Well bottom feeders maybe lately but they have history. Remember where Stringer went.

I think the wnba is a black void that sucks in college stars to never be heard from again. unless they get an article in A newspaper about how bad their paid, poor facilities, poor transportation to games.

Indiana for a wnba team is one of the worst. Bad media market, heavy competition in their conference. If Clark can make them get a winning season. She might get some national press. But I think it will dwindle with every loss or bad game and she will turn into a faint memory because the wnba is just that bad. Plus she’s is going to get bullied by players jealous of her wealth, her showmanship, and the fact she’s a catholic white woman. We have seen it in the college ranks, I didn’t think we would but with swoops, and certain players and coaches in the SEC. It’s there. I hope I’m wrong. But the bruises she got this season is just a teaser for what those women in the wnba are going to do.

I think the wnba is a black void that sucks in college stars to never be heard from again. unless they get an article in A newspaper about how bad their paid, poor facilities, poor transportation to games.

Indiana for a wnba team is one of the worst. Bad media market, heavy competition in their conference. If Clark can make them get a winning season. She might get some national press. But I think it will dwindle with every loss or bad game and she will turn into a faint memory because the wnba is just that bad. Plus she’s is going to get bullied by players jealous of her wealth, her showmanship, and the fact she’s a catholic white woman. We have seen it in the college ranks, I didn’t think we would but with swoops, and certain players and coaches in the SEC. It’s there. I hope I’m wrong. But the bruises she got this season is just a teaser for what those women in the wnba are going to do.
You’re a strange man.

Reactions: jaxhawk06

Spot.
On.

• Haha
Reactions: WDSMHAWK
Some of you guys must have just started watching Iowa women’s bball. And that’s fine but youve missed out on a lot over the years. Going way back to the C Vivian days there were games when we drew 10K if I remember right. Now there might have been free tickets and such but I’m going to guess we’ve been the leader in women’s attendance in the B1G long before CC. Obviously we won’t be selling out visitor arenas for awhile but if you think we’re going to suck as long as Bluder is here you’re crazy. We made the elite 8 with Gustafson.
I followed Stringer's Iowa teams pretty closely of course they were not on tv much. I cant remember the coach who took over for Stringer, she might have been a Stringer assistant, but it didnt work out. Bluder has done a great job but I really started watching them again about 6 years ago when Gustafson was wowing the crowds.

p12cZW.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Guess I don't understand why not wait till their season was over. I just learned tonight I stayed off media yesterday. I could tell Bruder was looking down at the post game interview at Indiana, while CC was talking. Kind of wonder now, is that is when she was told by CC "I am not coming back"? Good for CC. I'm sure CM had some input as well. I hate Indiana lol. I may watch I dont know. Go live your dream CC. We will miss you!!!

Damn!
That 4 years went way to fast!
What a ride it's been watching Clark and company. She leaves the program in great shape and who knows how much impact she will have on future recruiting. Doesn't happen to often that you get to watch the best to ever do it, let alone in an Iowa uniform.
Thanks Caitlin for the ride.

I’m excited to see CC compete alongside the best women’s players in the US

no offense to her Iowa teammates

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
I'm not arguing that at all. BUT, are you really saying that ANY of those companies are going to drop her in the next several months?
Where do you read that I said that? I didn't. There will be a big buzz right away with Clark in the WNBA and then the new luster will wear off. Sponsors will look at ratings, attendance, and overall fan appeal. Sponsorship money will be adjusted accordingly and some will drop her as a rep. They ride her while she is still a hot attraction.

Where do you read that I said that? I didn't. There will be a big buzz right away with Clark in the WNBA and then the new luster will wear off. Sponsors will look at ratings, attendance, and overall fan appeal. Sponsorship money will be adjusted accordingly and some will drop her as a rep. They ride her while she is still a hot attraction.
My point through this has ALWAYS and still is, this is a one year thing, as it relates to CC going pro. Posters have said repeatedly that she will LOSE money going pro. But heres the thing as far as THAT decision. After the first year she'd be in the WNBA anyway, so her decision to stay or go is ONLY about next year. SO, what I've tried to get people to understand is that those deals aren't going to go away next year. They just aren't. After that who knows, but she'd be in the league already. The other thing I go back to is her signing with Excel. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that they have BIG plans for CC. You'll see new deals, and new ads from State Farm, Nike, and Gatorade. This will happen. There is NO way a power broker agent signs her, and then won't do everything in their bag to grow her brand. Just wait.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT