ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark named Big Ten player and freshman of the week again

Apr 8, 2003
Clark Sweeps B1G Honors… Again

IOWA CITY, Iowa --
University of Iowa freshman Caitlin Clark was named Big Ten Women’s Basketball Player and Freshman of the Week for the second consecutive week, the conference announced Monday.

Clark is the first Big Ten freshman to win both awards, twice, in a season since Nebraska’s Jessica Shepard (2015-16 season). She has racked up two Player of the Week and three Freshmen of the Week nods in the first three weeks of the season.

The West Des Moines, Iowa, native averaged 34.5 points, seven rebounds, five assists, 1.5 steals, and a block against No. RV/24 Iowa State and Michigan State. In Iowa’s comeback win over Iowa State, Clark made the game-winning shot with 22 seconds remaining on a deep, step-back 3-pointer, giving the Hawkeyes their fifth-consecutive win over the Cyclones. She scored 34 points, pulled in seven rebounds, dished out six assists, and registered two steals against the in-state rivals.

Against Michigan State, Clark posted a career-high 35 points and two blocks, and added seven rebounds, four assists, and a steal to fill her stat line.

On the season, Clark leads the Big Ten and ranks second nationally, averaging 29.8 points per game. She also leads the conference in field goals attempted (107), total points (149), field goals made (52), and total assists (32). Across the country, she ranks second in field goals attempted, third in total points and field goals made, and sixth in total assists.

ESPN also named Clark the Player of the Week on Monday.

Clark and the Hawkeyes head to Columbus, Ohio, on Saturday, for a matchup with the Buckeyes. Tipoff is set for 11 a.m. (CT) on BTN Plus.

She scores 8 points and still gets Big Ten Freshman of the week. I am simply amazed by this young woman. I never had so much fun watching a college player such as Caitlyn. When she crosses the center line she might shoot it an any time and I always think its going in. Her best is yet to come this year. That last game was just an off night.

Reactions: Franisdaman
She scores 8 points and still gets Big Ten Freshman of the week. I am simply amazed by this young woman. I never had so much fun watching a college player such as Caitlyn. When she crosses the center line she might shoot it an any time and I always think its going in. Her best is yet to come this year. That last game was just an off night.

"That last game was just an off night."

The last game was vs OSU on Jan 13, she had 27 points 10 rb and 5 ast. She had 8, 2 and 8 vs NW but that was the week before. (Jan 3-9.) That week she scored 66 points despite the 8 vs NW. I totally agree with your sentiments.

Last edited:
Good for Caitlyn. Unfortunately for her Bluder is coaching this team straight out of the postseason so she can pretty much kiss Big POY goodbye. She still has a shot a BIG Freshman of the year.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Good for Caitlyn. Unfortunately for her Bluder is coaching this team straight out of the postseason so she can pretty much kiss Big POY goodbye. She still has a shot a BIG Freshman of the year.
Don't watch that much of the ladies, but if Bluder is so bad why did the last two years awards go to Iowa players??

We better get some shooters next Fall as Kate and gabby are letting us down by not being consistent threats. gabby needs to drive as she is quick enough

Nebraska's Jessica Shepard won Freshman of Week 10 times, then she promptly transferred to Notre Dame. That's what Iowa should be concerned about.

Nebraska's Jessica Shepard won Freshman of Week 10 times, then she promptly transferred to Notre Dame. That's what Iowa should be concerned about.
Jess Shepherd transferred after her sophomore year which iirc was no more impressive than her freshman season. She was insinuated to be the “cancer” that drove a negative culture shift in the program which resulted in the HC (Connie Yori) voluntarily leaving.

Do women players leave early for the pros like their male counterparts?
It’s relatively rare. Very few do leave early. I suppose those who are not only good enough but also are not as interested in the academic requirements and benefits. Notably, Sabrina Ionescu could have been highly drafted after her junior season but chose to return for her senior season. I think Norte Dame had one or two leave early in recent years and MSU had Ariel Powers who left early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT